Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Zat posted:

either Detroit or Columbus will switch conferences next season because Winnipeg takes a Western spot.

Nashville could also move because even though they are in Central Time they are the closest team to the hole Atlanta left.

It also depends where the Phoenix Coyotes end up after this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Eh no matter whether you think the NHL got the Brett Hull thing right or wrong, you have to admit how they handled it was truly awful.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I saw Alex Auld get called for playing the puck across the red line once because it was the second period and he was going to the bench for a delayed penalty and the puck hit him in front of the bench. Play was blown dead and matching minors were assessed.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

If a player drops a stick and an opponent swats it away it can result in a minor penalty for interference. It has to be blatant, though.

It's also illegal to throw or slide a stick and if you do it at the puck it's a penalty shot.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Scrotos posted:

Is there a rule stoping the bench from throwing new stick out to the player instead of them having to get it?

Yes, 10.3

A player who has lost or broken his stick may only receive a stick at his own players’ bench or be handed one from a teammate on the ice. A player will be penalized if he throws, tosses, slides or shoots a stick to teammate on the ice. A player may not participate in the play using a goalkeeper’s stick. A minor penalty shall be imposed for an infraction of this rule.

A player tendered a stick thrown on the ice from the players’ or penalty bench will not receive a penalty. However, the person responsible for throwing the stick will receive a bench minorpenalty.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Kekekela posted:

This means they won 8 games in either regulation or non-shootout OT, and 1 game in a shootout...and have zero OT losses?

Yeah. Don't worry about ROW until like March, it only matters for tiebreakers when it comes to the playoffs.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

You can't get them yet from anyone, so I'd advise signing up for emails from the NHL and maybe the Penguins too. They'll let you know the deal about public tickets. Minnesota hosted last year and made their ticket announcement in late April.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I always thought a scoring chance didn't even need to be a shot on goal.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The NHL once played a preseason game outdoors in Las Vegas and the Stars and Wild were considering a preseason game at the Houston Texans stadium before giving up for financial reasons. I don't think it would be a problem ice-wise to have a game outside in Phoenix.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

sba posted:

The first one was in Buffalo, which is not the hugest market in the world.

Granted it was a "trial" thing. but the whole idea came from the Sabres organization.

And the NHL in all their wisdom tried to keep it from happening

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I know when they made a vidoe of some Duke guy (JJ Reddick?) making ridiculous shots it was in fact real, they just did like 100 takes.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Wolfy posted:

If someone fights during OT and still has time on their penalty when OT ends, can they participate in the shootout?

Yes. The only thing that keeps someone out is a 10 minute or game misconduct, or a match penalty.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

CobwebMustardseed posted:

I’m going to my first ever NHL game tonight (Pens vs. Leafs). Is there anything I should know before embarking?

Have you been to any level of hockey before? Minors, juniors, college, anything?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm so excited. Maybe I'll luck out and get to see someone mash Phil Kessel's big goony nose into the ice.

Too bad you missed seeing Colby Armstrong getting his big goony nose smashed by a day

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Just look at the point totals. One division is far better than the other two, and the #2 and #3 teams are going to have fewer points than #4-#6.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

It surprises me that other leagues haven't bothered to try and adopt that. I guess baseball players can't let anything get in the way of spraying champagne on themselves every time they win a playoff series.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Yinzer posted:

Can you still offer a 10 year contract for a player?

Yes, if the dollars per year don't drop off too much at the end. This will undoubtedly be a big issue when they negotiate a new CBA this summer.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

SAMB0 posted:

Ok, I have become a much larger hockey fan over the past 3 or 4 season. I still have questions about Collective Agreement (in all sport leagues, really.). The current NHL Agreement is set to expire September 15th, if season starts around October 6th, like it did this year. Does that only allow one month to negotiate? Or will negotiations be running all summer long? My only knowledge on this subject is from, http://proicehockey.about.com/od/nhlnewsscoresstats/a/Nhl-Lockout-In-2012-A-Look-At-The-Issues.htm

Is re-allignment going to be a huge issue in the negotiations or will it mostly be about Cap Floors and guarenteed contracts? Also, before the league locked out in 04-05 was there a feeling of a definite lockout? Or did that come as a surprise.

It was definitely more gloom and doom in 2004 because of the revenue split and the huge gap between high payroll teams and low payroll teams.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

For Europeans and especially Russians the choice is not so simple and might actually be a gold medal.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Pfff, Russia, Crosby's going to go play for the team Jagr owns in the Czech Republic

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

It's offside. You must have clear possession of the puck to enter the zone backwards. If you flub it, whistle blows.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

grack posted:

A player other than the goalie covering the puck in the crease is an automatic penalty shot.

A non-goalie closing his hand on the puck in the crease is an automatic penalty shot

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

either DiPietro was the weakest person ever coming into the league or he's now strong enough to lift an oil tanker

what about Sami Salo?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Sitting in the upper deck isn't bad if it's steep. The problem is unlike the older arenas where the fans were stacked on top of each other close to the ice, a lot of the newer buildings just go up and out.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

How long does it usually take for a player to make it from being drafted to playing in the NHL?

Superstars can go right away, but for most players it's a couple years. You can play juniors until you're 20, then go to the AHL for a year or two, or you have the guys who stay in college.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

I followed the last lockout closer than I have this one and remember being sort of on the owner's side. What is the general opinion on this one? This is sort of a weird question since I'm just asking for the average dumb guy on the street's argument for both sides, I'm not asking to be convinced.

Last time around things were more considerably out-of-whack with the amount of revenue the players were getting, the gap between the high-spending teams and the poor teams, individual contracts, and league revenues in general.

This time, the league as a whole is much better off but they still want massive cuts to the amount of money the players get.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Lawnie posted:

I was going to say don't buy a jersey until this stupid lockout is over.

Hahahahaha as if the NHL gives a gently caress about what we think

don't buy jerseys anyway because Reebok ruined them

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

On the plus side if you live anywhere near Columbus you're looking at some of the cheapest tickets in the whole league.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Goetta posted:

I was actually just dicking around eBay looking for CBJ seats and they still seem only slightly cheaper than say going to a Bengals game. Is there a better place to get them or am I just really cheap?

Stubhub real close to game time. Student rush if you have a college ID. I also got bombarded with promotional emails from them about their Friday and Saturday night specials. It would be like $25 for a ticket and assorted swag--some combo of a hat, hot dog, soda, Tim Hortons, free ice skating at the rink in the building, etc.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Lawnie posted:

We can all agree Detroit sucks though.

Once on the way out of a Penguins/Blue Jackets game at Nationwide we had a very spirited bipartisan RED WINGS SUCK chant

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

To me, the stereotype of bad Red Wings fans is the "boo hoo we didn't win a Cup this year it's so hard to be a fan of this awful team" guy. Just don't do that and you'll get along fine here.

As for Bertuzzi, he's a dick. Don't worry about defending him when the Wings have such more rad players like Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Crooow! posted:

As someone who watched hockey, mostly Dallas, in the late-90s before stopping, I was wondering how Dallas has been. I hear they weren't good last year. Have they gotten any better?

Not yet but there's nowhere to go but up now that stupid Tom Hicks is gone

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Yes, if both goalies who dressed for the game are injured a team can basically round up whoever they want to be the third.

A more common occurrence is when a team knows ahead of time one goalie is out and they need a last-minute backup. Here's one amusing example of who they got.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Levesque#Call-up_to_Vancouver

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

xzzy posted:

There's stories out there of coaches who dressed to be goalie too, it happened at least once quite a ways back (I want to say sometime in the 60's).

Lester Patrick did it for the Rangers in the 1928 Stanley Cup Final

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

MonsterWalk posted:

Any good general hockey blogs/news aggregator I should know about?

Puck Daddy

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Roger Neilson is also responsible for this rule: once when he pulled the goalie for a 6th skater, he told his goalie to lay his stick down flat across the goal line. Now if you do that and the puck hits it, it's an automatic goal.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The funny thing is Gordie only did it twice. Stan Mikita has the most with 67.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

bewbies posted:

Actually that's exactly what they do, regardless of the penalty. You can still get suspended or something but as far as the game goes that sequence of events didn't happen.

Nope. Rule 78.6.

quote:

Any penalties signaled during the period of time between the apparent goal and the next stoppage of play shall be assessed in the normal manner, except when a minor penalty is to be assessed to the team scored upon, and is therefore nullified by the scoring of the goal.

A couple years ago for the Penguins, Sergei Gonchar scored a goal on a slap shot from the point. However, the puck came right back out so the refs assumed it hit the post. The rebound went straight to Alex Ponikarovsky of the Leafs, who got a breakaway. Gonchar hauled him down and the refs were going to award a penalty shot until they noticed on replay that the original shot was a goal, not a post. Rule 78.6 also says "Only one goal can be awarded at any stoppage of play" so they changed a the penalty shot to a minor penalty. So according the box score, Gonchar scored a goal and took a penalty at the exact same time.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

It's worth noting that most goons are still pretty damned good™ at hockey. They're just not anywhere near NHL caliber hockey players.

Bissonnette went to play in the English pro hockey league during the lockout and lit it up, for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

myron cope posted:

Does that really mean you can't talk about what happened in the game? If not, what DOES it mean? Has it EVER been enforced? I'm sure people have gotten in trouble for rebroadcasting, but what about "descriptions"?

They mean the actual audio and video of what the announcers said

Okay, maybe it was a dumb question. I've only ever been to games at Consol. Didn't want to commit a visiting fan faux pas...

Wearing wacky jerseys (and seeing them) is one of the best parts of going to the game in person. I got on twitter once via the Post-Gazette guy who tweets jerseys :coal:

• Locked thread