Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

xzzy posted:

This is the best example I've seen in a while about how precise pro players can be when given time:

http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=83732

That kind of accuracy blows my mind.

I thought this was fake, though, wasn't it? It's a reebok ad, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

CobwebMustardseed posted:

What does it mean for a player to be called "floaty"? Someone in the N/V thread called Ovechkin "floaty mcfloater" and I did not know if this was good or bad.

Basically it means they don't backcheck hard, they don't forecheck hard, and they're generally lazy and don't show much hustle when they don't have the puck. Think about a forward floating around near their blueline or in the neutral zone waiting for their teammates to get the puck to them so they can go on the attack, but not doing any actual work themselves for it. Being floaty is a bad thing.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Aniki posted:

Isn't that the same thing as a cherry picker? Where they just hang around the blue line, don't play defense, and only really hustle when they have a chance for a breakaway.

Mmm, like myron_cope said, floating is a bit more of a "philosophy". In my opinion, I would say that perhaps cherry-picking is but one aspect of being floaty. But it is really a multi-layered term. Generally it means you're a lazy rear end in a top hat, though.

goldrush fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 24, 2012

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Stupid semantics question: is advanced stats and fancy stats referring to the same thing?

Yes

• Locked thread