Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The Rangers own their AHL team, but let a businessman in Hartford run the business/marketing side, which is how they were renamed "The Connecticut Whale" and it's all really loving stupid and someone should punch Howard Baldwin in the face

They don't own their ECHL team though, which is now apparently the Greenville Road Warriors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

SubCrid TC posted:

Seriously, at the end of the day it's still a loving game and showing some amount of respect to your opponents is admirable.

Marty Brodeur refused to shake Sean Avery's hand after the Rangers eliminated the Devils back in 2008 :haw:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Stanley Cup is what every player is playing for

The Presidents Trophy is nice because it means you did well in the regular season but The Stanley Cup is the culmination of playing 82 regular season games just to make the playoffs, and then playing 3 rounds of best of 7 just to get to the finals in order to play for the Cup.

Easily more important and prestigious than the Presidents Trophy

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Caps fans are pussies, don't worry about getting poo poo while cheering for another team at Verizon Center

If you have to work and get up early in the morning then you're going to hate following a Western team.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Grittybeard posted:

So if I'm looking at this right the games start Saturday and there's no preseason or anything? Would there be anything particularly amusing we can expect to see?

Probably terrible defense (everyone's positioning will be a little off and all of that) and possibly some groin injuries, but I don't think you'll see anything particularly gong show worthy

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Probably worse because they lost Ryan Suter, who was arguably their best overall defenseman. They should still be shooting for a playoff spot, though, and if you make the playoffs then you never know what might happen

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Oh yeah Malkin and Crosby are gonna run wild on Philly's defense on Saturday

much like the Flyers will on the Penguins

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

CobwebMustardseed posted:

How are scoring "chances" determined?

Honestly I think it's kind of arbitrary, it's not an official stat

A breakaway, a chance in front, a clear shot from the slot, etc, could be a scoring chance even if they miss the net. A weak writer from the blue line that the goalie sees, probably not

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Goal differential is the 4th tie breaker so the number of goals your team scores can actually affect their position in the standings, but it'd have to be a situation where two teams (assuming they're tied in points) are tied in number of games played, ROW's, and head to head record. In that case, the team with the biggest goal differential would have the higher standing (goal differential is number of goals scored minus number of goals allowed)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rotten Cookies posted:

How many sports are interspersed with players engaging in fisticuffs? :colbert:

The NHL should change the rules and award a power play to the team of the player who wins a fight. That, combined with the instigator penalty, would be great, and the arms race to sign guys like John Scott would be hilarious.

Also, you can't win on a takedown :colbert:

e: I say "combined with the instigator penalty" because it would at least make the instigator penalty serve an important purpose

Levitate fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 9, 2013

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

McDragon posted:

Well, I think I've got a sort of related question. I've seen some people talk about players having a "hot brain" after a concussion. What is that? I'm no medical expert, but it sounds like something to do with making things worse if they come back too soon after being concussed. That seems like the sort of thing a brain might do. Is that about right?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2013-04-06/randy-carlyle-concussions-helmets-maple-leafs-leafs-joffrey-lupul-update

quote:

“I have a theory on concussions,” (Carlyle) said. “I think the reason there’s so much more of them obviously the impact and the size of the equipment and the size of the player — but there’s another factor: everyone wears helmets, and under your skull when you have a helmet on, there’s a heat issue.

Basically, Randy Carlyle is a goddamn idiot

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

i'm surprised that there aren't players who blade themselves WWE style to try and get 4 minutes

I wouldn't be surprised if some players bite the insides of their mouths, hoping to draw blood, after getting high sticked to try to show they were "injured" and get the extra 2 minutes

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DOOMocrat posted:

I've got two in the west and one in the east, and I don't think that's too much.

Rooting for two teams in one division can be seen as a little odd, but with the bigger divisions next year I bet it'll become more common.

I don't really cheer for any team that's not the Rangers. Even West teams are just potential roadblocks to the Stanley Cup :colbert:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Robo-Pope posted:

Whoa. Lemieux retired early because of rule changes? Lemieux retired early because he was diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat. Dude played for years with a back that was so bad he couldn't bend down to tie his own skates. He wasn't going to quit over rules he didn't like.

Eh, Lemieux threatened to retire early because he got mad about teams playing physically against him. He probably had a point in that guys would really take runs at stars back then, but I seem to remember him pulling the same poo poo as an owner when Crosby was having his concussion problems or something like that.

Mario liked/likes to complain

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I swear I've seen a game where the starter was pulled, then the backup gave up a ton of goals so the starter went back in, but I can't remember the details

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The Casualty posted:

He wasn't always seen as a brutal player, in fact I remember people praising him before the 2012 playoffs, for his physical but clean play. It all wavered when he ended Rosival's season with an ugly but questionably dirty knee-on-knee, and his suspension the next year basically cemented it with many people. It didn't help that as he drew attention from the league, he also began to draw more than his fair share of embellishment penalties. He can't really hang with the top scorers on his team anymore so he trolls and punishes his opponents with physical power, enabling more talented scorers to do their thing. He has an absolute shitload of hits every year, and say what you may about scorekeepers being generous, he lays people out; that large sample size is pretty much automatically going to generate enough questionable and/or dirty plays to draw attention to. While Brown himself probably doesn't consider himself a malicious player, his below average skating skill often sets himself up in bad position to cleanly attempt some of the hits that he connects, or sends him careening into players' legs on his rear end.

Brown has always been a physical player and when you do that you're bound to throw some questionable hits from time to time and maybe get a rep. However, Brown has done some truly ridiculous and lovely things so he deserves the label IMO. He has more than once intentionally and blatantly targeted heads and knees and I don't buy bullshit about "oh his skating means he misses some checks that result in an unfortunate play". He targets players intentionally at times, they aren't accidents at all, there's no getting around it.

That all said it doesn't mean he's a useless player or anything, he's just a dirty player.

As for the Kings in general, well they hit a lot and work the interference stuff pretty well and that's usually enough to get the label "dirty", though I seriously question their scorekeeper and tracking hits...I'm lazy but I'd like to see the home/away splits for their hitting. I feel like they were being credited with hits whenever two players came together along the boards and fought for the puck regardless of who initiated it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Number Two Stunna posted:

Not what you're asking, but this is the coolest thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZiCx0vfRKo

Didn't Gretzky do that too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005