Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

Kekekela posted:

Thanks guys, I should now be able to wow and amaze my friends with my hockey knowledge (because they seriously don't know wtf even by my standards)!

Wait until a goal gets waved off because the referee "intended to blow the whistle" because he lost sight of the puck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Since I don't have a team yet, what teams have good announcers/broadcasting teams? I use sports for background noise and I like having a good announcer on.

:can:

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

There is not enough liquor on the planet to make watching the draft in person entertaining unless you're there with someone waiting to get drafted (or getting drafted yourself I guess).

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

e:/\/\/\ also that

There'll be News/Views threads per month where non gdt chat happens. Once playoffs start it'll be by round and there'll also be a Non-Playoff thread.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Game Day Thread

mostly useless posting interjected with :siren:

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

also sushi chat

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

CobwebMustardseed posted:

This thread is wonderful and I wish I had noticed it earlier.

Here’s something I’m wondering about. What makes a team better or worse at scoring during a power play? Take Tampa Bay, for example. Assuming I’m reading the stats correctly (GF is goal for and PPG is power play goals, yes?), Tampa Bay has the tenth most goals in the league with 155. But they’re twenty-ninth in power play goals with only 24. This doesn’t make sense to me. If you’re good at scoring goals when you’re playing against five people, shouldn’t you be even better at scoring goals when you’re playing against four people? Is there something I’m missing here?

You should be looking at PP%, which the Bolts are 28th. Some teams are just bad on the powerplay. Look at the Penguins from a few years ago. Crosby/Malkin/Gonchar and they were godawful.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Verviticus posted:

Manny is a pretty awesome guy

I literally* want to start punching people in their stupid faces when they start bitching about Manny without realizing what his job is with the team. Dr. V is obviously very happy with how he's playing right now, and with the way the Canucks play I can't say I blame him.

<insert 15 page rant about AV and his love for all things Roman here>

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Wolfy posted:

If someone fights during OT and still has time on their penalty when OT ends, can they participate in the shootout?

Also, the next fight that happens in an OT will probably be the first

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Pass it to Bulis rules but you pretty much have to be a Canuck fan to enjoy it

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

myron cope posted:

In yesterday's Pens/Flyers game, Kris Letang and Kimmo Timonen were both ejected for violating rule 46.7, Fighting after the original altercation:

My question is, why is this a rule? I'm guessing it was put in as a response to something, or at least to prevent something, but what? Is it just they want to keep the game going and don't want to have a million fights that start at different times?

My real point is, if their fight had started at the same time as the Giroux/Crosby fight, they wouldn't have gotten misconducts. Why the seemingly arbitrary distinction in "when the fight starts"?

Because the 1970s Flyers

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Remember when Larry Walker forced everyone to shake hands after the Cards won a series? Boy were people loving mad about that.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Kids are whiney bitches who have their loser parents who'll fight you after the game for calling little Johnny for checking from behind when he obliterates some poor kid into the end boards.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Follow Friedman on the twitter box and he posts when a new one is up. You should be following him anyways.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Ron Tugnutt still has the greatest name in hockey

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

The Prisoner posted:

Don't watch any of the 2010 WCF. Because it sucked. :suicide:

C'mon, Salo doing a lap around his own net before one timing through the Sharks net and possibly the end boards ruled

:unsmith:

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Being able to move the puck around on fresh non-choppy ice (provided you're not at MSG) is an advantage to the PP, but not in a hugely significant percentage.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

A scoring chance for charting purposes is defined as a puck directed towards the net from the "slot", roughly between the faceoff dots and below the top of the faceoff circles (the ringette line if you prefer).

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

McDragon posted:

So in the NHL, do backup goaltenders tend to get quite a few games? Backup goalies only seem to get to start dead rubber games or ones where the main is injured in the EIHL, but I think I heard most goalies don't start two games in a row in NHL teams.

Guess it's something to do with the much faster speed.

It depends on the teams and the goalies. Calgary will probably have Kipper play 45+ games this season, where other teams that have goalies that are much closer together in skill will have a much more even ratio.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Robot Danger posted:

I'm watching my third game right now, but one thing I can't get used to is trying to keep track who's on the ice. It's making it hard for me to learn anything about my team, so about how long does it take for someone new to the sport to get used to the substitution difference?

The two sports I watch a lot is soccer and baseball, both of which rarely have any swaps going on, and when it does happen it's really obvious. This hockey stuff is bananas.

It will certainly take some getting used to. However once you watch your favourite team for a while you'll start to recognize players on the ice dependant on what the situations are and how they move with the puck. Plus there's always jersey numbers.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

e: whoops

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Robot Danger posted:

Yeah, this has been kind of an issue. While I don't have any issue following the puck, with the constant action going on the announcers just seem to be doing one 20 minute sentence in my brain.

Sorry, I guess I'm just a bit impatient because I've liked this a lot more than I thought I would and want to be able to talk about it with another person without sounding like a complete idiot (before the season is over).

There are no bad questions here friend

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Verviticus posted:

why is pk subban so Disrespectful??

He's from Toronto

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

a false posted:

there's also a new faceoff violation rule this season that i've already seen a bunch of times: if a center plays the puck with his hand off the faceoff before one of his teammates touches it, it's a 2 minute penalty. i am honestly not sure what the rationale behind this being penalized is.

Mike Gillis hates Manny Malhotra. (MG is the one that came up with the rulechange)

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Really though I think it's because the defensive center just has to fall forward and then can pass the puck back with his hand, creating an unfair advantage. Well, what if you just call a hand pass on the play and have another faceoff? Think about how that would affect icing calls.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

The IIHF won't let you win faceoffs with your feet, but that results in a toss out.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Not unlike the Henrik Sedin Hat Trick. Ridiculous no look backhand saucer pass assist, pass through the goalie for an easy tap-in, lazy stick penalty in the offensive zone.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

A backhand cross ice saucer pass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEvAVlQ_Tfc

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

That was reasonably saucer shaped for a 50 foot pass, c'mon.

Also it was an excuse to repost it.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

myron cope posted:

What are the official rules on playoff beards if you don't already have one?

Should I have shaved yesterday after the Pens final regular season game? Should I shave the morning of the Pens first playoff game? Do I shave now that the regular season is officially over for everyone else?

I've always shaved the morning of my teams first game of the playoffs and it's worked out spectacularly :smith:

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Crovie posted:

The bullshit chant is a staple of hockey, and sports in general. Nothing like the whole stadium getting into it.

A Bullshit chant while the opposition player is bleeding out on the bench is what this country was built on :canada:

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Kevyn posted:

What effect does lovely watery ice (like in Boston right now) have on the game?

Stops the puck dead and softens the ice up which is bad news when you have NHL level skaters on it.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

You might want to include the alternate names that some of SAS may call the divisions in brackets so newbies won't get confused (Floreast/Norris/Patrick/Smythe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

When Crosby approaches scoring 50% more points in a season than whomever comes in 2nd place, then we can can start talking about how he might be as good as Gretz.

code:
85/86 Scoring Race, Mario's 2nd Season

Player	        Team	GP	G	A	Pts

Wayne Gretzky	Oilers	80	52	163	215
Mario Lemieux	Pens	79	48	93	141
Paul Coffey	Oilers	79	48	90	138
Jari Kurri	Oilers	78	68	63	131
Mike Bossy	Isles	80	61	62	123
Obviously he wasn't a physical presence, but he was very defensively sound, particularly for that era, and so far ahead of everyone else (except Mario) offensively.

• Locked thread