Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Aces High posted:

Well it's not so much an issue with the plots, I mean I expect kinda silly plots from comic books and honestly I didn't have any problems up until whenever there was an issue involving a girl in trouble. Betty Brant's brother dies because of Spider-Man, George Stacy dies because of Spider-Man and all the while Pete just goes into retard mode and doesn't try to explain the situation.

What I don't like is that these women are supposedly written as level-headed yet as soon as the poo poo hits the fan they act like the dumbest bimbos ever. It was with Gwen that I hated this the most because she appears the be the most level-headed of any of the characters and I get her freaking out but if Pete really loved her, he'd have realised that he was going to have to tell her eventually that he was Spider-Man.

Now maybe I'm wrong, and this made for good drama back then, but in this day and age it seems like the most terrible cliches thrown in because they wanted to make sure Pete could never win and they wanted to make his life hell. It feels like they couldn't figure out a more creative way to create conflict and drama.

That and like TheJoker said, there was sooo much repetition, it actually got to the point where I would skim whole issues because they wouldn't be saying anything important, just reiterating what was already known and said earlier, and that again smacks of lazy/terrible writing

When I was reading through a big archive of the 60s Spiderman comics, I found it helped me to understand them a lot if I read the letters pages. You get more of a sense of exactly what's new about Spiderman(people are actually like "holy poo poo, spiderman is making MISTAKES? he loses fights? this is so new this is amazing") and you can understand that, while it doesn't necessarily hold up today, those earlier issues are all definitely something that was very new and different at the time.

My favorite letter was someone complaining about how JJ was too mean and it was going to keep them from picking up more issues if this guy doesn't straighten up and be nice! How dare he be so mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread