Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

NikkolasKing posted:

Wait, which "Iced Earth dude?" I haven't listened to them (or any metal at all) in over a decade but I'm just curious who it is and what they did. I mainly remember liking teh vocalist, Matt Barlow, at least as a musician.

I used to love thrash metal in high school and a little after but then drifted to symphonic or power metal for something..."softer." I was mainly poking my heard in here to see if any of the female fronted symphonic metal bands are recommended? I think the big one I never listened to back then was Epica. And there might be tons more now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's insane that they're still putting out some of their best material. Blood Spiller is riff of the year.

I absolutely thought Cave In was done after final transmission, which was understandably pretty half baked and just figured they’d move on to projects like mutoid man and wear your wounds. Instead they release a record that some days of the week I’d say is their best ever

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
The Mercyful Fate set opening with The Oath was so, so loving good. I realize though that some of these songs were written before I was born lmao

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

DeimosRising posted:

I absolutely thought Cave In was done after final transmission, which was understandably pretty half baked and just figured they’d move on to projects like mutoid man and wear your wounds. Instead they release a record that some days of the week I’d say is their best ever

The bass player died in a horrible car explosion and they released the album as is because they simply couldn't carry on completing what they had. Half-baked isn't wrong but the circumstances were quite terrible!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Weaponized Cum posted:

The bass player died in a horrible car explosion and they released the album as is because they simply couldn't carry on completing what they had. Half-baked isn't wrong but the circumstances were quite terrible!

Man, I forgot about that for a while. It’s so sad :/

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I have literally no idea where the hell to put this because it's not metal, not trap, and not exclusively electronic, but it's at least metal-adjacent.

Kordhell (Mick from Anaal Nathrakh's EDM/witch house side project) put out a collaboration album with Scarlxrd (UK trap-metal rapper), and it's weird as gently caress but I'm kinda digging it.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7GjyuDC6hZNicG8Gj7cR8R

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

so I got a Demons and Wizards video rec in the youtube sidebar the other day which was neat because I haven't thought of D&W in eons. And then I learned they put out a new album recently and also that Schaffer was at Jan 6, which I missed the first time around

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Jon Schaffer being alt right makes sense because he released and album called The Glorious Burden.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Everything up through Horror Show whips rear end :negative:

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Vargatron posted:

Jon Schaffer being alt right makes sense because he released and album called The Glorious Burden.

Also wore a confederate bandana the two times I saw them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kilometers Davis posted:

Everything up through Horror Show whips rear end :negative:

that's the real tragic thing

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Dimebag Darrell would've taken Pelosi's laptop and trade it for coke.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The real Pantera January 6th play is not being able to show up because you're already ankle-tagged for beating your wife

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The only Pantera member I ever heard bad things about was Phil, and the rest all hated him, too.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

rex seems cool with phil. the hatred only really started after the breakup anyway because it was 3 whiny babies and rex just sitting off the side.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

The only Pantera member I ever heard bad things about was Phil, and the rest all hated him, too.

i mean not to speak ill of the dead but dimebag played a confederate flag guitar like very regularly

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i was the biggest pantera fan ever when i was a teen, and while the music is still great, to me at least, the band members are very much not great.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dimebag being a legend on guitar and having the worst icepick-thin-solid-state-Randall tone ever sucked

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Not liking all the accusations about my character floating around here.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
dime may have been an alcoholic but he was cool with every person he ever interacted with so im not going to speak ill of the guy. playing a confederate flag guitar, at the time, was not nearly as much of a major chud sign as it was now. would he have sucked? maybe, but he never had the chance

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm gonna speak ill of him for being in loving Pantera.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
pantera rules

this is maybe my one controversial opinion on any subject

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Weaponized Cum posted:

Yeah that’s what I meant by understandably

muike posted:

dime may have been an alcoholic but he was cool with every person he ever interacted with so im not going to speak ill of the guy. playing a confederate flag guitar, at the time, was not nearly as much of a major chud sign as it was now. would he have sucked? maybe, but he never had the chance

There was not a time when a confederate flag was a nice innocent thing that didn’t mean you were a big racist. There was a time when you didn’t recognize it yet

Henchman of Santa posted:

Lol indeed

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dime said the gamer word once too lol

Pantera rules and dumb poo poo aside Dime seemed like the coolest nicest dude

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah that’s what I meant by understandably

There was not a time when a confederate flag was a nice innocent thing that didn’t mean you were a big racist. There was a time when you didn’t recognize it yet

Lol indeed

That's the point. I don't think they were saying the Confederate flag wasn't racist, they were saying that (the majority) of people didn't perceive it as a racist thing back then. I never met the man, but I highly doubt Dimebag was a racist.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Seems a little crazy to me to think a majority of people didn’t see the confederate flag as racist in the 90s, it really wasn’t that long ago. I’m guessing I didn’t know anyone back then who didn’t view it as racist but :shrug:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Most racism is carried out unconsciously. In Texas I'm sure the confederate flag is a great source of pride and your average dumbass thinks it's a stand-in for "rebellion" or whatever without critical thought.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Snowy posted:

Seems a little crazy to me to think a majority of people didn’t see the confederate flag as racist in the 90s, it really wasn’t that long ago. I’m guessing I didn’t know anyone back then who didn’t view it as racist but :shrug:

I'm 24 and when I was growing up it wasn't uncommon at all for people to see it. I never wore it myself but I didn't view it as a racist thing until I was a teen and learned about what it actually meant. Growing up I always just thought it was like a flag for people in the South. We also celebrated Columbus day growing up in school. The societal viewpoint in change towards these things is a pretty recent phenomenon (and I'm not arguing that's a bad thing, gently caress the confederates and gently caress CC).

EDIT: ^Henchman put it more eloquently than I did.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
wait the confederate flag is considered racist?

gonna have to get some goo gone and start removing stuff off my car

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

That's the point. I don't think they were saying the Confederate flag wasn't racist, they were saying that (the majority) of people didn't perceive it as a racist thing back then. I never met the man, but I highly doubt Dimebag was a racist.

The majority of people absolutely knew what it was. When I say there was a time when you didn’t get it, that’s because you (where you is any given person in this conversation) were a naive kid. The notion that people were less racist 30 years ago is absurd

Most racism is carried out unconsciously. In Texas I'm sure the confederate flag is a great source of pride and your average dumbass thinks it's a stand-in for "rebellion" or whatever without critical thought.

Rebelling against what though (the government telling you what to I.e. don’t say the gamer word or refuse to hire black people)

It’s not that grown adults didn’t know what the confederacy was, it’s that it was socially acceptable to think the wrong side won

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

wait the confederate flag is considered racist?

gonna have to get some goo gone and start removing stuff off my car

Yeah it’s a big hassle

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

The majority of people absolutely knew what it was. When I say there was a time when you didn’t get it, that’s because you (where you is any given person in this conversation) were a naive kid. The notion that people were less racist 30 years ago is absurd

Rebelling against what though (the government telling you what to I.e. don’t say the gamer word or refuse to hire black people)

It’s not that grown adults didn’t know what the confederacy was, it’s that it was socially acceptable to think the wrong side won

Ah okay I see what you mean, I think were actually agreeing with each other here bc Im with ya on the stuff youre saying

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Dime said the gamer word once too lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VDsHX7nU0Q

Amazing Guitarist but...

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 22, 2022

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Damageplan is the worse offense

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

symbolic posted:

Damageplan is the worse offense

He paid the ultimate price for it, so

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Pantera was one of my gateway bands into real metal, but I really couldn't stand them after getting into better stuff. I also hate the production on all their stuff. It's not bad or anything, but every album sounds like a loving glam metal record to me.

Lencho fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 22, 2022

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

edit: someone already posted the video!

Dime was a good guitarist. Pantera has some good songs, but they for sure give off a racist redneck vibe.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lencho posted:

Pantera was one of my gateway bands into real metal, but I really couldn't stand them after getting into better stuff. I also hate the production on all their stuff. It's not bad or anything, but every album sounds like a loving glam metal record to me.

they were originally a glam band lmao

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

they were originally a glam band lmao

I mean, I know, but why the hell did they kept the same production style when they changed their sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lencho posted:

I mean, I know, but why the hell did they kept the same production style when they changed their sound?

Dime just basically plugged direct into a lovely randall. It's bad production on top of bad tone.