Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The first release day Friday under the rule of Jeffery the 1st

Carach Angren, symphonic bm. Not fully out on bc but out on everything else, probably also not good
Shed the Skin, dm. Not fully out on bc, up on everything else. What's up with people not hitting the "its out" button on Bandcamp today?
Acherontas, bm
Bell Witch & Aerial Ruin split, funeral doom/folk
Thecodontion, caveman war
OHHMS, post/sludge
Ahab live album, funeral doom. Not fully out on bc, out on other stuff
Falconer, pm
Pyrrhon, tech death

Edit: Ya the new Carach Angren is really bad, the title track is one of the worst songs I've heard this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Nazzadan posted:

The first release day Friday under the rule of Jeffery the 1st

Carach Angren, symphonic bm. Not fully out on bc but out on everything else, probably also not good

Edit: Ya the new Carach Angren is really bad, the title track is one of the worst songs I've heard this year

Thanks I hate it.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

I swear, Tobias Forge (ghost) has the most amazing voice. I must have listened to "Mary on a Cross" 30 times today.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
New Falconer out today. I’m about 3/4 of the way through it and it’s pretty good, but I’m sure it will grow on me after listening to it a few more times.

Its bittersweet knowing it’s their last album. I can see why Stefan thinks it’s getting derivative, at least melodically, but on the other hand it also sounds like they’ve evolved a considerable amount over the last 20 years.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I've been going back to older releases and found something I had completely missed.

https://giantsquid.bandcamp.com/track/mycenaeans

That guitar starting at 3:45 is weird as hell. It seems like they are employing it like a brass instrument, which I guess is appropriate giving the subject matter?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Spacegrass posted:

I swear, Tobias Forge (ghost) has the most amazing voice. I must have listened to "Mary on a Cross" 30 times today.

Ghost is legitimately a cool and entertaining band.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

I've been going back to older releases and found something I had completely missed.

https://giantsquid.bandcamp.com/track/mycenaeans

That guitar starting at 3:45 is weird as hell. It seems like they are employing it like a brass instrument, which I guess is appropriate giving the subject matter?

Giant Squid owns, they did all sorts of interesting poo poo with their instrumentation.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Giant Squid was extremely good. Creative as hell.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

henpod posted:

Been listening to Finntroll lately and forgot how great they are. They managed to make folk metal that sounds dark and mischievous, but a lot of fun as well.

Finntroll were one of the bands that were instrumental in getting me over my disdain for harsh vocals, and while most of the others have fallen by the wayside since, Finntroll have remained a steady fixture in my personal metal landscape all the way. Really excited they're finally gonna release new stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPsqbvYikIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmYhFAjTdhA

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Nazzadan posted:

Thats a bummer, their live guitarist used to post on these very forums. He even got me on the guest list for their Detroit show during their last US tour.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
[quote="Nazzadan"

[/quote]

What was ever special about them? Post a track that you really like. I could dismissed them after a couple listens.

I know this isn't metal but the new Hum album is heavy as gently caress. If you like Cave In then you'll love this!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Weaponized Cum posted:

I know this isn't metal but the new Hum album is heavy as gently caress. If you like Cave In then you'll love this!

Exactly the comparison I was thinking. It scratches that Stephen Brodsky itch I had in my life.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Exactly the comparison I was thinking. It scratches that Stephen Brodsky itch I had in my life.

They're both heavy in the Space Rock category. It's so good

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Weaponized Cum posted:

new Hum album

HOLY poo poo!

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Did yall catch ASG's Blood drive? because I think that would hit the same itch for ya. https://asgnation.bandcamp.com/album/blood-drive

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I saw Hum play in a tinyass club in Chicago New Years Day. I was about five bodies from the stage. Drunk and getting a face full of Matt's guitar the entire set was a spiritual experience.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Weaponized Cum posted:

What was ever special about them? Post a track that you really like. I could dismissed them after a couple listens.

I liked pretty much all of their first 3 albums, but in particular I'd say this track. The vocals just sound much stronger than the latest album, the mix sounds better, the riffs are more bm than the new stuff, and the synths heavily lean into the "spooky pirate" poo poo. I wouldn't say I was ever a super fan, they were just a pretty solid symphonic black band.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

in the good timeline The Red in the Sky is Ours was the really influential album

that would have been cool

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Meloblack or melodeath and why go

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I’m gonna have to go with -death because of Alexi's YOWs.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eklgTCtvxuM

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
The Fintroll studio updates are actually pretty funny:

quote:

it's getting to close to 21 and we really should give our poor engineer a rest, we decided to call it for the day and went home. I played Uncharted with my wife until we realized it's 1 AM, I have the studio in the morning and our kids will probably wake us up at seven in the morning because why the gently caress not.

quote:

To open up the vocal cords at first, we started with the intro, which now has lyrics in an ancient Trollish language referred as "the Brown Speech". (absolutely nothing to do with Tolkien, nope, never.) Due to not wanting to use proper words and being so fed up with always going with the "huhs and hahs", we sat down and figured out completely made-up words from syllables which had the right intonation we wanted. Not surprisingly, it became something of which sound had absolutely nothing to do with music from World of Warcraft, nope, never.
Roka-sha, my brave warriors of the Horde!

Most of the remaining group vocals were yelled and grunted in within the next two hours, as we deliberately kept all the arrangements rather simple. Our intention was definitely not to fill the album with choirs a'la Moonsorrow, but utilize them only where needed in order to give more room for everything else. Trolls don't sing nicely anyway, they loving CRY FOR WAR, aye! I felt so sorry for our engineer (having been there for over 11 hours already without a single proper break) that I told him to have some beer on us. Lucky for him, he had already brought his own and pointed his plastic bag. "Please do", I insisted him and felt a bit more humane. And even more thirsty.

quote:

Unless, of course, the whole world just happens to suffer from a severe pandemia, lockdown and a close-to-zombie-apocalypse situation which naturally happens during a Finntroll album recording.

After constantly running from a room to another while apologizing everyone about the horrible lag in schedule every time I passed them, I felt like someone had dragged me into an episode of Fawlty Towers. Lucky for me, any of the guests weren't German! I asked Virta to bring them a crate of beer to keep everyone happy, which he delivered like a true keeper of the seven credit cards

https://yersiniafestis.blogspot.com/?fbclid=IwAR07u2Cl6PjmbLAcIUSYQ4KXGfpNpodQmiQTDL70la3Y3W7OPEAY6K8XJe4

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

melodeath is a way lamer trend overall

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Most melodic black metal I’ve listened to has been at least p rad in some way but I probably listen to way more melodeath. It’s definitely lamer though as a whole. Somehow like half of it is just death metal nu metal but whatever. It’s fine. I totally get why it’s an introduction genre for a lot of people leading them to more extreme sounds but that’s not really a bad thing at all.

and +1 tipping my hat to the winds of YOoooWYoWwWwwww

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yes because thy are great

EDIT: Seriously though the Vorna album from last year is kinda both and it's so loving good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKGJqEfHl2g

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 27, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Sometimes I just want some :mood: metal and melo* usually has more of it.

Speaking of mood: I've been listening to Downfall of Gaia and Dead to a Dying World back to back and now I'm depressed. Dead to a Dying World sounds like metal GY!BE.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

Meloblack because it doesn't sound like everyone's trying to rip off Slaughter era At the Gates or Jester Race era In Flames. Instead it's either cribbing Dissection or Weakling or some other bands I don't know of that well cause i'm false as gently caress

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

What does Crimson/Crimson II count as?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Meloblack because it doesn't sound like everyone's trying to rip off Slaughter era At the Gates or Jester Race era In Flames. Instead it's either cribbing Dissection or Weakling or some other bands I don't know of that well cause i'm false as gently caress

they should be ripping off sacramentum and necrophobic more than dissection imo

A human heart fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 28, 2020

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

More band should ape Dawn

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
there's a band called Napalm Ted.

end message.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Nordick posted:

EDIT: Seriously though the Vorna album from last year is kinda both and it's so loving good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKGJqEfHl2g

Thanks, this is great. Im so happy that sa might survive the wifebeater

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Klaaz posted:

Thanks, this is great. Im so happy that sa might survive the wifebeater

I didn't realise the guy from vektor was on here! *laugh track*

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Durendal posted:

Awesome, that's what.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Durendal posted:

Prog Death.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
what else sounds like that liminal pre-gothenburg melodic death metal sound exemplified by the red in the sky is ours, a velvet creation, riding our black oceans

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 29, 2020

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
click here for some cool death metal: https://necroscum.bandcamp.com/releases

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Spermgod posted:

what else sounds like that liminal pre-gothenburg melodic death metal sound exemplified by the red in the sky is ours, a velvet creation, riding our black oceans

red in the sky is ours is actually a way weirder album than most people seem to notice and there isn't really that much that sounds like it imo. if you like cenotaph you should definitely listen to the chasm, daniel corchado was in cenotaph before forming the chasm and somewhat unusually for a death metal band basically all of their albums are at least good, although deathcult for eternity is probably the best. the first intestine baalism album is a bit like melodic swedish stuff before the sound got too codified although i'm not as keen on the later albums. i think stargazer have a bit of this sound too although they're very much doing their own thing as well(and they're really good at it).

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

drat tomb mold and witch vomit are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

A human heart posted:

red in the sky is ours is actually a way weirder album than most people seem to notice and there isn't really that much that sounds like it imo. if you like cenotaph you should definitely listen to the chasm, daniel corchado was in cenotaph before forming the chasm and somewhat unusually for a death metal band basically all of their albums are at least good, although deathcult for eternity is probably the best. the first intestine baalism album is a bit like melodic swedish stuff before the sound got too codified although i'm not as keen on the later albums. i think stargazer have a bit of this sound too although they're very much doing their own thing as well(and they're really good at it).

drat i already know all these but the chasm mention reminded me to listen to shub niggurath 'the kinglike celebration' again so thanks for that