Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I just discovered them thanks to this episode of Rob Flynn's podcast where he talks to Andy Sneap, who I didn't realize was the guitarist in Sabbat (UK):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XgINy39gMU

He also has some stories about getting coked out of his mind with Eric Peterson from Testament and Nick Barker from everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

FanaticalMilk posted:

I know we've moved past thrash reccs but I just came across another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNGFHloWOLo

They're from Highland Park, IL which is right near where I grew up.

lol rich kid metal

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FanaticalMilk posted:

I just discovered them thanks to this episode of Rob Flynn's podcast where he talks to Andy Sneap, who I didn't realize was the guitarist in Sabbat (UK):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XgINy39gMU

He also has some stories about getting coked out of his mind with Eric Peterson from Testament and Nick Barker from everything.

and also the guy most responsible for making every bigger budget metal album since the 90s sound like poo poo

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

The Muppets On PCP posted:

and also the guy most responsible for making every bigger budget metal album since the 90s sound like poo poo

Yeah, having a bad reputation as a producer is how I knew Andy Sneap before this.

Minto Took posted:

lol rich kid metal

That's exactly what I thought, and Andy/Robb event comment that their demo cassettes were printed in full color which no other band was doing at the time. And then I went to their Metal Archives page and saw Highland Park and thought that makes sense.

Speaking of other rich kid metal, it was weird finding out Judas Iscariot is from Northbrook.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A lot of bands from [insert city] are really from [insert rich suburb] because wealthy white kids are the ones who have the most time and money to get proficient at an instrument, have a reliable practice space, etc.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
most importantly it means greater access to promotional services

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Soiled Meat
yeah but the bands are good so who cares

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Growing up in the suburbs gives you first hand experience with hell on earth.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don’t hold it against the rich kids making cool music but it’s interesting to know about. Also when bands are poor as poo poo, I’m happy to hear about that rather than just be like it’s all about the music, maaan

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Working through some Mercyful Fate/King Diamond classics this morning. Goddamn I love this guitar work.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Andy is a one of a kind guitarist. ATG had him play the solo on Cold off SOTS and the story goes he showed up, heard what they had so far and improv'd a solo. They thought it was amazing, then he turned around and harmonized it in one take, heard the finished product, shook their hands and left.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Muppets On PCP posted:

andy sneap must answer for his crimes

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

good news everyone

quote:

Asphyx announce new studio album “Necroceros”!

The legendary Dutch Death Doom Elite ASPHYX finally return with their new, 10th full studio album release. Entitled “Necroceros”, the new longplayer was recorded at Tom Meier’s Tom Meier Studio and at Paul Baayens’ The Mörserstudio and then finally mixed and mastered by Sebastian “Seeb” Levermann at Greenman Studios. “Necroceros”, which once again features front cover artwork by Axel Hermann (to be seen above!), will be available worldwide on January 22nd, 2021 via Century Media Records.

ASPHYX frontman Martin van Drunen comments about “Necroceros” as follows:

“The first recordings for “Necroceros” started somewhere in November 2019. Mainly just rough ideas. We hired Tom’s studio for a couple of jam-sessions so we could record as soon as we thought something had potential. We finished about 6/7 songs, but after a few listenings we decided there had still quite some work to be done.

After the 3 previous albums and this one being ASPHYX’s 10th official full studio record we were very well aware that the standard had to be incredibly high. Our advantage was that for the first time we had a steady line-up. Since “Incoming Death” we were damned good “worked in” together, one “felt” what the other wanted or where he was music-wise going. With Paul having tons of riffs on the shelves, the earlier takes and the unexpected rapidly spreading Covid-19 outbreak and thus all our gigs being canceled one after the other, we booked Tom once more for a bunch of jam-recordings. Which turned out marvelously...

It took 2 weekends to finally arrange all songs and tape the drum-tracks. Going completely berserk while playing and being totally satisfied with the variety, rawness, brutality and dynamics of each particular track, we were 100% certain that we were heading in the right direction.
Long before all the above was happening, I already had introduced “Necroceros” as a working title. It came out spontaneously, sounded powerful and since we used the word “Death” in every release-title, so did “Necro”. The idea was a sci-fi fantasy entity on an eternal course, existing only to devour planets, turning universes into meaningless voids. And while the boys were laying guitars and bass over the drums I searched and wrote the themes and lyrics for every single track. And there we were…

To mix with Seeb was a shot in the dark, but he had told me one of his wishes was to ever be able to mix a Death Metal album for a band like ASPHYX. And since we wanted a fresh input, we gave him a chance by letting Seeb do a test and it fused simply excellent.
As always, we passed the working title on to Axel Hermann to skizz about and let him throw his morbid imagination over it with detailed bits and pieces. And once more he didn’t let us down with another brilliant masterpiece.
And here we are. Something old, something new, something krushing, something sparkling, something alcoholic, something genius, but all very, very ASPHYX!”

A first single and video clip for the upcoming album will be launched together with more details about “Necroceros” at the start of the album’s pre-order campaign on November 6th. 2020. Look out…

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

Concatenation posted:

Indonesia has an absolutely enormous brutal death metal scene, remind me to do an effortpost sometime

friendly reminder I'd love to see this effort post.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Smirr posted:

Did it... did it work?

They're still on death row, unfortunately

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cadaver has obviously put the their drummer in charge of mixing their new album. All drums, all the time.

Possibly :nws: video, it certainly has boobs and vomit and possibly vomit on boobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hpu2nTpG_c

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
RIP Red Death :smith:

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Cadaver has obviously put the their drummer in charge of mixing their new album. All drums, all the time.

I'd never heard of Dirk Verbeuren up until recently but he's put out a bunch of stuff recently between this, Bent Sea, & Brave The Cold. It's making me tepidly excited for the new Megadeth album.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

FanaticalMilk posted:

I'd never heard of Dirk Verbeuren up until recently but he's put out a bunch of stuff recently between this, Bent Sea, & Brave The Cold. It's making me tepidly excited for the new Megadeth album.

Don't worry Dave will utterly gently caress it up with his insane conspiracy theory politics.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
he used to drum for soilwork, and owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MHihA0h61k

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Don't worry Dave will utterly gently caress it up with his insane conspiracy theory politics.

the new megadeth couldn't possibly be good no matter what his politics were

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Vargatron posted:

I know, I also thought the same thing when the Drovers joined Megadeth and then they put out United Abominations. Megadeth is the Sonic cycle of metal bands.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vargatron posted:

before touring stopped he was probably getting paid more annually in megadeth than he had from all his other bands combined

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

A human heart posted:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

A human heart posted:

Dystopia and Endgame are amazing albums so uhh sure?!?! :confused:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

FanaticalMilk posted:

he also drummed on "Goremageddon" by Aborted and "Occult Medicine" by Yyrkoon so his existence will always be justified

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
also hi everyone it's undergang o' clock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7HdO_1tVEU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Mr. Bungle in the greatest thrash band evah!!! Fight me!!!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

stab posted:

lol

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

They're okayish and pretty good in that order. Still better than the other big four released in the last two decades

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Soiled Meat
that's setting a pretty low bar

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

that's setting a pretty low bar

Even if it was three decades

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Soiled Meat
i was considering adding that as well but i wanted to be succinct

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

stab posted:

No.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Eh they work for me, I'm not usually down with the cookie monster metal released from their garages so whatever floats your boats, you guys do you, I'll be here rocking out to the bands that are cool to hate I guess haha. All good.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

stab posted:

Eh they work for me, I'm not usually down with the cookie monster metal released from their garages so whatever floats your boats, you guys do you, I'll be here rocking out to the bands that are cool to hate I guess haha. All good.

Ok dad.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

stab posted:

Lord Summerisle called and asked for you, he said something about wanting his giant strawman back

I know wicker is not straw, shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Im old get off my lawn and let me listen to the nwobhm in peace