Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Both of the above posts are wrong

https://youtu.be/5zQhJNsWBWY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A human heart posted:

even if you think it's a good album that's just sort of silly

Condolences on your complete lack of taste.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Death owns and only posers disagree.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I was going to vehemently agree before I realized you're talking about the band

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

deedee megadoodoo posted:

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Already posted in the SDS thread that Cathedral have been adding some old stuff to their youtube page, they just put up this performance today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMmd4exvkqE

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d858ZECeNCY

Description: Fenriz talking to the Norwegian National Library, who have inducted A Blaze in the Northern Sky into their collection of essential Norwegian media or whatever, about A Blaze in the Northern Sky and also old-growth forest preservation

edit: there's also a 50 minute video with Ted about one of those topics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycqaXrNnNfU

I haven't watched it yet, but it's 50 minutes of Ted, so :ocelot:

Smirr fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 21, 2020

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Condolences on your complete lack of taste.

It's not about taste it's about having some perspective, Death's last album is just way less important and influential than their early albums are.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A human heart posted:

It's not about taste it's about having some perspective, Death's last album is just way less important and influential than their early albums are.

lmao what

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"These cornerstone albums of technical death metal and progressive metal in general aren't really that important, you guys" is a pretty spicy take, i must say

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

"These cornerstone albums of technical death metal and progressive metal in general aren't really that important, you guys" is a pretty spicy take, i must say

It's not like progressive metal was something new when that album came out in 1998, but also simply by being a prog album it had less of an influence(and was less liked by some people) than their early stuff which was at least listened to by basically anyone with the slightest interest in death metal at the time. Prog metal is a smaller pond than death metal as a whole is.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

A human heart posted:

Hard agree with this and I like the later albums.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Even when regarding the influence on prog and tech death, I'd argue Human had a bigger influence than Sound did, even if only for the line-up as well as the sound.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TSoP was the icing on the cake for the Death discog and was flowing through every techy proggy dm band in the 00s but what do I know tbh

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Dimebags Brain posted:

Even when regarding the influence on prog and tech death, I'd argue Human had a bigger influence than Sound did, even if only for the line-up as well as the sound.
I agree with this. TSoP was beloved by many metal fans but it was not shaping the sound of technical death metal. The Human album and Cynic were more present. After Necrophagist and Decapitated arrived and Quebec bands started pumping out a new album every other week I don’t think I ever heard anyone mention TSoP.

Also Deathcore... ugh.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Neat opportunity for Florida drummers, though I have no idea how British band Cruciamentum wound up in Tampa.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Just another bunch of snowbirds :(

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

reminder that scream bloody gore was the only good death album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ai35M8h90

The only correct opinion about death

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

confession: i dont really care for scream bloody gore. human and symbolic are great though imo.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Neat opportunity for Florida drummers, though I have no idea how British band Cruciamentum wound up in Tampa.

They heard about this place called Morrisound Recording.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I didn't like Chuck's vocals on The Sound of Perseverance and Individual Thought Patterns is the best Death album.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Sometimes I go into to my mind palace to ponder the big question: who would be more of an insufferable dipshit if they were still alive - Chuck or Quorthon? Probably Chuck by a mile Rip to both of them, though

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

I really like Death, but have never really enjoyed The Sound of Perseverance, just as I've always found Control Denied fairly boring.

That new Faceless Burial album is definitely filling that sort of techy but also with huge riffs space for me though. What an amazing album that is.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Every Death album is good and most of them are great

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Gio posted:

confession: i dont really care for scream bloody gore. human and symbolic are great though imo.

Thanks.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Smirr posted:

Sometimes I go into to my mind palace to ponder the big question: who would be more of an insufferable dipshit if they were still alive - Chuck or Quorthon? Probably Chuck by a mile Rip to both of them, though

As for Quorthon, I never heard anything about him other than he was this dude who liked to make music, and troll interviewers a little. I guess one-man bands (which Bathory ended up being, mostly) are often not very prone to drama.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Groke posted:

I guess one-man bands [...] are often not very prone to drama.

buddy I have terrible news for you

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

what can i say, your posts are legendary

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

I really like Death, but have never really enjoyed The Sound of Perseverance, just as I've always found Control Denied fairly boring.

I love SoP but yeah, I was never able to get into Control Denied. It sounds like leftover SoP riffs with some pretty grating power metal vocals slapped on.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 24, 2020

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Every Death album is good and most of them are great

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://youtu.be/RFx8PADeZzY

Mastodon did an adult swim set and it’s the best performance I’ve seen from them. Visuals are great too. Even Brent’s singing voice is going strong throughout :unsmith:

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

This will always be Mastodon's best performance https://youtu.be/b_Pyj9PPyW4

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

gently caress, that video makes me miss summer metal festivals so much.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i dont think MDF is gonna happen this year, either :(

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

MDF is too early in the year. There will still be restrictions in place. There's too much planning for an event like that and it can't be done while everything is still in flux. Maybe they could do something in the fall, but my guess is that it will resume in 2022.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I still get unreasonably hyped up whenever I hear Hit the Lights. Metallica was the soundtrack of my middle/high school years.

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian

Vargatron posted:

I didn't like Chuck's vocals on The Sound of Perseverance and Individual Thought Patterns is the best Death album.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Vargatron posted:

I still get unreasonably hyped up whenever I hear Hit the Lights. Metallica was the soundtrack of my middle/high school years.

kill em all is great.

ride the lightning is pretty good minus a couple songs.

not sure why i liked MoP growing up.

everything else after is poo poo.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Gio posted:

kill em all is great.

ride the lightning is pretty good minus a couple songs.

not sure why i liked MoP growing up.

everything else after is poo poo.

I got The Black Album when I was four, and still have it on cassette somewhere, so I'll always have a soft spot for it. Otherwise, this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh gently caress off. Justice is their best album.