Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
This is one of the greatest things I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebn1hQRR124

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Hope I won't get too many eyerolls on this, but how is King Diamond live lately? I have a chance to see him in a couple of months and I'm getting pretty psyched about it,since I'm a big fan, but what with the big gap he had and all that, I'm afraid I could be disappointed if I set the expectations too high.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

Cobweb Heart posted:

Are there any women in extreme metal that don't dress like they're a Suicide Girl the band hired to stand in front of them? I want more hulking, bearded women in my goregrind.

Half of Angist is vaginated, and they sound a lot more hulking and bearded that they look. Here's a clip from Wacken Metal Battle.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17g7zyvwBzk :black101:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I met Herman Li at Bloodstock festival in about 2007. He wasn't even playing and he spent the entire day chatting to fans which I thought was kinda cool, but he also wouldn't leave people who weren't interested allowed. Demoniac was pretty cool but yeah.

edit: For those who don't want to hear him waffle on, what part in the video is where he gets mad?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Non Serviam posted:

So we interviewed Herman Li from Dragonforce. We even asked him about why "So far away" is so common in their lyrics (he was not very amused).
I'd love to ask Jonas Renkse from Katatonia what his loving obsession with tests is all about.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Therion posted:

I like how all the other answers are the standard "meh I don't care about anything" but oh boy did you touch a nerve on this one :v:

Yes. Still, he was a pretty good sport about it. He even gave me a guitar pick (upon request) after the interview.
I think he was pretty tired that day (their TM was exhausted as well) which is why he seems so bothered the whole time

Stoat posted:

edit: For those who don't want to hear him waffle on, what part in the video is where he gets mad?
He didn't get mad, although he was more defensive, It's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU43uR2_qvc&t=807s

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Yeah, he didn't seem mad.

That said, obligatory -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQIUfqKcakE

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 5, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
My favorite part of that video is when he uses his trem arm to make the same sound you can do with a pick

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

nuncle jimbo posted:

Yeah, he didn't seem mad.

That said, obligatory -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQIUfqKcakE

That reminded me of this Petrucci parody which is just great. Anyone know of any others?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Nordick posted:

Holy loving nutballs. I want that so bad, but it's probably going to cost like six thousand euros. :saddowns:

On the topic of Finnish melodeath though, anyone here not familiar with Omnium Gatherum? They used to put out pretty bogstandard stuff as far as I understand, but then something happened and they put out the awesome Redshift. The next album, New World Shadows is also really solid.

Haha, I used to write reviews for this really rickety German webzine about 10 years ago, and of the albums I reviewed, Spirits and August Light was in the top 1% and basically one of the few albums that I would voluntarily listen to.

It warms the cockles of my heart that they're still around and haven't started sucking.

Here's the song that made me swoon 9 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0wtIjfGUkw

Smirr fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 5, 2012

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Stoat posted:

That reminded me of this Petrucci parody which is just great. Anyone know of any others?
My friend linked me this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUN3yenlCGE

Kalus
Mar 1, 2008

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Half of Angist is vaginated, and they sound a lot more hulking and bearded that they look. Here's a clip from Wacken Metal Battle.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17g7zyvwBzk :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBf1kM0wBfg

My offering to this search. :black101:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Smirr posted:

Here's the song that made me swoon 9 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0wtIjfGUkw
Wow. I can at least say with certainty that their vocals are vastly better nowadays, this guy sounds really weak. It's a pretty nasty contrast to the music, which is actually pretty decent.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Capilarean posted:

Hope I won't get too many eyerolls on this, but how is King Diamond live lately? I have a chance to see him in a couple of months and I'm getting pretty psyched about it,since I'm a big fan, but what with the big gap he had and all that, I'm afraid I could be disappointed if I set the expectations too high.

I saw him at Hellfest 2012 and he was amazing, you're in for a serious treat.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Why have I never listened to Trivium? Random tab on UG's protab app pulled up Entrance of the Conflagration, and I bought it almost immediately I liked it so much. What else is considered 'core' for Trivium songs?

e; Google is telling me that people don't even think this song is one of their best? Oh boy I am going to enjoy this :dance:

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 5, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

NTT posted:

Why have I never listened to Trivium? Random tab on UG's protab app pulled up Entrance of the Conflagration, and I bought it almost immediately I liked it so much. What else is considered 'core' for Trivium songs?

e; Google is telling me that people don't even think this song is one of their best? Oh boy I am going to enjoy this :dance:

We played with them at some random poo poo-hole fest in Florida in like... 2003? Something like that? All the bands kind of mingled and had a good time, but the dudes from Trivium (who I had never even heard of) were all hanging out near their tour bus being antisocial. We tried to talk to them but they were kinda dicks to us. We had to get on the road so I didn't get a chance to see them play, but that left a bad taste in my mouth that's tainted their image for me :\

But hey, I guess part of becoming successful is acting successful, so more power to them for all they've accomplished.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

QPZIL posted:

We played with them at some random poo poo-hole fest in Florida in like... 2003? Something like that? All the bands kind of mingled and had a good time, but the dudes from Trivium (who I had never even heard of) were all hanging out near their tour bus being antisocial. We tried to talk to them but they were kinda dicks to us. We had to get on the road so I didn't get a chance to see them play, but that left a bad taste in my mouth that's tainted their image for me :\

But hey, I guess part of becoming successful is acting successful, so more power to them for all they've accomplished.

I've known they were a band for a long time, I just could never be bothered to listen to their music. It doesn't surprise me that they're a bit cold towards people during fests; each band has different people. I tend to try and focus on their music rather than their behavior, although you certainly got the opposite experience. :v:

e; I just started listening to this band, why the hell am I trying to defend their actions?

You're right though, that's pretty rude of them.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from listening to their music, I was just sharing a random story that your post reminded me of :)

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Now my interest is piqued; what band do you/did you play for? I would probably read a A/T thread about that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NTT posted:

Now my interest is piqued; what band do you/did you play for? I would probably read a A/T thread about that.
Metal is weird in that the "huge" bands aren't that successful and will still play alongside your buddy's garage band when they are in town.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Metal is weird in that the "huge" bands aren't that successful and will still play alongside your buddy's garage band when they are in town.

Well I wouldn't say we were quite garage band level, we had our 15 minutes of fun time. I played guitar in a band called Glass Casket, our drummer and other guitarist went on to join Between the Buried and Me.

edit-- but sure if you want to hear stories of getting told to gently caress off by Alexi Laiho, or of getting glared at by Lord Worm for accidentally making fun of him behind his back, or other random bullshit, I can certainly ask and tell.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 5, 2012

Johnny Cage
Sep 7, 2004

Doin' big things

nomapple posted:

I saw him at Hellfest 2012 and he was amazing, you're in for a serious treat.

Wow, just checked some youtube stuff and he sounds just as good as the live CD like 10 years ago.

Also, apparently he signed a 3 record deal so we should finally be getting more solid King CDs after way too long a wait.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 22, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

QPZIL posted:

Well I wouldn't say we were quite garage band level, we had our 15 minutes of fun time. I played guitar in a band called Glass Casket, our drummer and other guitarist went on to join Between the Buried and Me.

edit-- but sure if you want to hear stories of getting told to gently caress off by Alexi Laiho, or of getting glared at by Lord Worm for accidentally making fun of him behind his back, or other random bullshit, I can certainly ask and tell.
Oh wait yes I remember you posting before! Not to imply you personally were garage band level :) just that a lot of friends in metal bands have played with acts I heard about but they never got anywhere themselves.

Although I think I mentioned one of the bands that released a Singaporean EP then broke up instantly and someone on here heard of them so you never know.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It helps that it's pretty common with metal shows to have to essentially buy your way into the opening slot. The height of my band's fame so far has been a blurb on NCS but we've gotten offers to open for Fleshgod Apocalypse, Allegaeon, and a couple other bands. Of course, said offers required us to buy 30+ tickets up front for weeknight shows in cities where we have no/few fans.

loving pay to play :argh:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

How does something like this go down? Is it along the lines of "We just got an offer to play for a bigger band. Welp, see ya!" or did you all sit down to talk about it and give your blessing?

It was a combination of things. I was trying to go back to college so I didn't want to tour year round like the rest of the guys did, and that was right around the time Dustie and Blake got the offer to join BTBAM, so it was sort of a mutual "well, let's just go our separate ways" agreement.

Then Adam started doing vocals for Columns and then Wretched, and our bassist Sid went on to do some indie rock something-or-other. And I got a degree and went on to write music on my own! So everything worked out for everybody.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
There's a person who calls himself Lord Worm? :allears:

Tell me more.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

QPZIL posted:

Alexi Laiho

He was so loving nice to me when I met him at a show in Dallas a couple years back. Was he having a bad day or just hammered?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

NTT posted:

Tell me more.

He's an English teacher!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

NTT posted:

Tell me more.

The previous singer of Cryptopsy, who ate worms on stage. He's a reallllly creepy guy, but I'm sure it's just a persona, because I think he's an English teacher in Canada. One of the guys in my band was making fun of his vocals out in the parking lot, JUST as he was walking by. I've never seen such a deathly stare before, it was like in that movie Thinner where the old gypsy stares at Robert John Burke and whispers "thin-nerrrr" except he didn't whisper thinner he just took a sip of water.

The Ferret King posted:

He was so loving nice to me when I met him at a show in Dallas a couple years back. Was he having a bad day or just hammered?

Possibly both. They were finishing up on stage and I was hanging out outside in the loading/unloading area. He was heading outside, still had his guitar on and stuff, and it went like this:
"Hey good show man"
"Äää, gently caress off!"
"K later"

So it's totally possible that he was just having a bad night.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

QPZIL posted:

You know dustie? he seems like a super chill dude.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

muike posted:

You know dustie? he seems like a super chill dude.

Yep, played with him in various bands for like 8 years or something before he went to do the BTBAM thing. He's a really cool guy, I still try to catch up with him when he's in town.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

QPZIL posted:

Hey, I remember seeing you at NEMHCF '04 around 12:30 in the afternoon, that was a fun show even though only one of every six bands was interesting.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Zodijackylite posted:

Hey, I remember seeing you at NEMHCF '04 around 12:30 in the afternoon, that was a fun show even though only one of every six bands was interesting.

That was a fun show! It was hella early but it was our first experience at a "big" fest like that.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
So, there's a band called Tamriel that does Skyrim-themed death metal. Here's the entire album with lyrics in description. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAdNJ8Sca9k

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
New Defeated Sanity track is up on youtube. Pretty brutal.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Drifter287 posted:

loving pay to play :argh:

Labels do it too. It's quite common for a smaller band to have to front up 5-15k (depending on tour size) to buy onto a tour with bigger bands. And yes, even bands you may have heard of on "bigger" underground labels may be doing this when on tour with 1-2 bands who are undeniably bigger than them.

Anecdotally, some of the biggest dickheads I've met have been in the smaller bands. Inflated opinion of themselves thinking they've made it when really the fall just hasn't happened yet.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Great Horny Toads! posted:

So, there's a band called Tamriel that does Skyrim-themed death metal. Here's the entire album with lyrics in description. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAdNJ8Sca9k

this is the worst thing ever

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

You know, it's okay to like metal and video games, and if you're a musician you can like both without combining both, and I'll thank you not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Knew you guys would love it. :D