Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Hold up though. The Obsidian Conspiracy sounded pretty good, it's just that all the songs except the title track are terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

WASDF posted:

May 18th and 19th at the crocodile. Two day combo is $25

Thank you!

That is HIGHLY tempting. And I haven't been to the new Crocodile yet.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

Hold up though. The Obsidian Conspiracy sounded pretty good, it's just that all the songs except the title track are terrible

That producer guy (can't remember his name, on mobile right now) encouraged Nevermore to trim down the songs, make them poppier, and bring Warrel to the forefront of all the songs. Not the best formula.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

deadwing posted:

That producer guy (can't remember his name, on mobile right now) encouraged Nevermore to trim down the songs, make them poppier, and bring Warrel to the forefront of all the songs. Not the best formula.

Seriously? How could anyone listen to This Godless Endeavour and think the best step forward is to try to sound less like that record? I assume someone will post something witty about how This Godless Endeavour and/or all Nevermore sucks.

Seriously bummed that Boris isn't coming any closer to me than New York City, since I can't quite afford the time or money to make that kind of a trip. I'm missing a lot of shows between now and April because I'm away from home on a work term for school, and seeing Boris for the first time would have been a nice make-up present. Oh well.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Velocirocktor posted:

Seriously? How could anyone listen to This Godless Endeavour and think the best step forward is to try to sound less like that record? I assume someone will post something witty about how This Godless Endeavour and/or all Nevermore sucks.

quote:

SkullsNBones.com: Like you said earlier, this record has more groovy parts and it's not as insanely complex as previous albums. For me, it seems more fit for Warrel's [Dane] vocals to take charge more than any album has before. Was this something you set out for musically or did it just happen?

Loomis: It just happened, man. Previously, we would enter the studio and I would have these 7-8-minute-long songs, and Andy Sneap would say "OK, let's record it and see what happens." With this record, I had the 7-8-minute pieces again, but Peter Wichers would look at them and say, "Let's chop these up a bit. Let's make this a more structured piece of music." So he was very involved in helping me with the arrangements of a lot of these songs. It was more like cutting out the fat, and making the songs more catchier and hookier. So I had a lot to do with it, but Peter also had a major part in the songwriting as well.

It's seriously a shame. In another interview I've read Warrel says that the title track of The Obsidian Conspiracy was all set and recorded as a ten minute track, but it was "butchered" (his exact words IIRC) into a five minute track. It's really too bad, because I like a lot of the tracks on TOC that aren't Your Poison Throne, I just felt that the tracks needed more fleshing out. It's not a terrible album, but really doesn't stand up to the rest of their material at all.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Man, now I sort of want to hear the true version of TOC. I wonder if they'd ever do it live or anything.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
gently caress Yes! 25 bucks for two days of Boris? Totally going to both shows in Chicago.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Wyzt posted:

gently caress Yes! 25 bucks for two days of Boris? Totally going to both shows in Chicago.

Where they playing?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Velocirocktor posted:

I assume someone will post something witty about how This Godless Endeavour and/or all Nevermore sucks.
Well, if you insist...

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hulk Krogan posted:

Hold up though. The Obsidian Conspiracy sounded pretty good
Might as well have just used a drum machine, honestly. It definitely sounded crisp, but that's not a synonym for good. It had one of the worst cymbal sounds I've ever heard put to record. Compare it against an album that's actually recorded and mastered properly like Pain of Salvation's Remedy Lane or Tool's Lateralus and it sounds embarrassing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

QPZIL posted:

I always figured Mikannibal would be one of those crazy girls that's really good in bed but you'd never want to introduce her to your family ever.

Then again, Mirai's family is probably a wee bit different than mine.

She looks pretty normal when she's not covered in blood. You can add her on facebook and she posts a bunch of instagram pics of her at work (I think she does physics research, she has a PHD in it) and the food she eats, because Instagram.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Anyone heard anything about the Opeth tour, as to what they'll be playing? I'm thinking of driving to the Norfolk show, but I'll be damned if I'm driving 3 hours for a bunch of weepy ballads.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

me your dad posted:

Anyone heard anything about the Opeth tour, as to what they'll be playing? I'm thinking of driving to the Norfolk show, but I'll be damned if I'm driving 3 hours for a bunch of weepy ballads.

This was the setlist in Nov. of last year according to the internet.

The Devil's Orchard
Ghost of Perdition
White Cluster
Hope Leaves
Deliverance
Hessian Peel
Häxprocess
Reverie/Harlequin Forest
Encore: Blackwater Park

2 songs that I'd even be interested in hearing live. I know I'm in the minority here, but drat, I really don't like post-Still Life Opeth at all. I saw them on the Blackwater Park tour (with Nevermore and Yakuza :thumbsup:) and they kicked all kinds of rear end.

Regarding that show, while Yakuza was playing the crowd started chanting "Opeth" over and over obviously butt-frustrating the band. The guitarist tripped over his cord, and they ended their set telling Atlanta to gently caress off. Opeth played, slayed, then Nevermore came on and the place cleared. I felt really bad for Nevermore so I stayed and listened to their set. They are really good at playing very uninteresting music.

e: I think Lacuna Coil was on that tour as well, but that might have been Still Life. Anyone remember? All I remember is the Cristina from LC being ridiculously attractive. :swoon:

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 31, 2013

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
They're still pushing their "prog" album so I'd imagine it's going to be a lot of that crap

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What Boris albums do I listen to? I looked at the most recent one on Wikipedia and it says it's "noise pop." What the hell is that?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Boris is one of the most dynamic bands that I know of; they hardly stick to one genre but keep a pretty hard sound with just a few exceptions. Akuma No Uta was my first Boris album and I'd describe it as garage-stoner rock with a little bit of drone. It is still my favorite. If you like Post-Rock and can take a very slow build then I'd suggest Flood, one of their best albums. Boris At Last -Feedbacker- is usually considered their magnum opus. Feedbacker is about 40 minutes long and is just one song, but it's a hell of a loving song. Their earlier stuff like Absolutego and Amplifier Worship is more Drone/Doom.

Their stuff they released in 2011 is different. New Album is a straight up J-Pop Boris album, Attention Please is noisy and shoegazey and Heavy Rocks (2011) is a less rocking version of the original Heavy Rocks album. Also, check out Rainbow if you actually get into Boris.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

KingKapalone posted:

What Boris albums do I listen to? I looked at the most recent one on Wikipedia and it says it's "noise pop." What the hell is that?

stoner Björk basically.

Listen to Flood, Feedbacker, and Dronevil Final if you like drone. Heavy Rocks and Akuma no Uta are more psych-rock.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

me your dad posted:

I'm still probably not going to be its biggest fan, but is Heritage any better than Watershed? Not in a metal sense, just, is it any better in any sense?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

I'm still probably not going to be its biggest fan, but is Heritage any better than Watershed? Not in a metal sense, just, is it any better in any sense?

If you thought Watershed was weak you'll likely despise Heritage. It's scarcely a metal album at all; Opeth basically wanted to make a Deep Purple album or something, and that's what they did.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

KingKapalone posted:

Their "mainstream"est psych rock albums are (from most to least): Smile, Pink, Heavy Rocks 2011

All three of those are great.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Smile's good stuff. Listen to both the Japanese version and the US CD version.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

muike posted:

I actually liked Watershed and didn't mind the concept of Opeth going fully '70s prog at all, but I just couldn't get into Heritage. A couple neat riffs here and there, the first track was alright, but I'd be hard pressed to remember anything about the rest of the album.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
My friend and I are interviewing Vader & Aborted for his website next Friday at their London gig in the Camden Underworld. Does anyone have anything they want to ask? Preferably questions for Aborted, but maybe some Vader too.

Also, is anyone else going?

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

skasion posted:

stoner Björk basically.

Listen to Flood, Feedbacker, and Dronevil Final if you like drone. Heavy Rocks and Akuma no Uta are more psych-rock.

and listen to Vein if you are the coolest of kids

bus stop
Jul 19, 2012
nah

muike posted:

Anything is better than Watershed.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

bus stop posted:

Anything is better than Watershed.
Sorry, but Watershed is the best of their post-Blackwater Park albums.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

HTML5 posted:

Where they playing?

Lincoln Hall, never been there. Tickets are 15 a day and 25 for both together, apparently on sale friday at noon.

For anyone else interested

BORIS US TOUR 2013
04/27 Austin, TX @ Carson Creek - Austin Psych Fest
05/01 Washington DC @ Rock and Roll Hotel
05/02 Washington DC @ Rock and Roll Hotel
05/04 Allston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall
05/05 Allston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall
05/06 New York, NY @ Le Poisson Rouge
05/07 New York, NY @ Le Poisson Rouge
05/10 Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall
05/11 Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall
05/18 Seattle, WA @ The Crocodile
05/19 Seattle, WA @ The Crocodile
05/21 San Francisco, CA @ Rickshaw Stop
05/22 San Francisco, CA @ Rickshaw Stop
05/23 Los Angeles, CA @ The Echoplex
05/24 Los Angeles, CA @ The Echoplex

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nile still loving rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99KHIkENKBM

Sorry if I'm late to the party on this one. Nile owns. :rock:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Wyzt posted:

BORIS US TOUR 2013

Hell yeah. Will probably go to the DC show. What's the deal with the 2 dates?

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Nile still loving rules.

Yes. Nile loving rules.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Hell yeah. Will probably go to the DC show. What's the deal with the 2 dates?

The first night is going to be "Boris classics" plus a bunch of songs they've never played in the US.
The second night is going to be the entire Flood album plus a set of noise/drone/experimental.

I'm SO loving MAD that they're not coming anywhere near me.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

They may do a East Coast tour.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

WASDF posted:

They may do a East Coast tour.

You do realize that NY, DC, and MA are on the east coast, right?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

QPZIL posted:

The first night is going to be "Boris classics" plus a bunch of songs they've never played in the US.
The second night is going to be the entire Flood album plus a set of noise/drone/experimental.

I'm SO loving MAD that they're not coming anywhere near me.

Well, you can always crash at my place :heysexy:

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

QPZIL posted:

You do realize that NY, DC, and MA are on the east coast, right?

Oh, I didn't even read the majority of it. I saw WA, CA and the like and just assumed West Coast.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Just ordered tickets to see Devin Townsend and Meshuggah in London, should be an awesome show. The other band playing is Periphery, not really liking the sound from what I am hearing on youtube.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Nile still loving rules.

The guitars on that album were EQ-ed really loving weird. Like they scooped the mids and then turned down the low end to boot.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Just received the Amazon e-mail telling me that Blind Guardian's "A Traveler's Guide to Space and Time" has shipped! :D :D :D
http://www.blind-guardian.com/2012/12/01/a-travelers-guide-to-space-and-time-coming-in-february-2013/

In other flowercore power metal news, Avantasia revealed the cover for their upcoming album, http://www.tobiassammet.com/eng/index.php

And although it was posted before, here's the mock "dating video" made by Tobias Sammet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJV09sBYdz4

EDIT: Regarding Blind Guardian, i just discovered they played a song on the game "Sacred 2" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fakNlghOJY

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 1, 2013

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
So the gist I'm getting is that The Obsidian Conspiracy would be an passable album if it wasn't a Nevermore album?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Absu announced some tour dates. :D

ABSU - 2013 TOUR DATES
4/05/2013 Millcreek Tavern - Philadelphia, PA
4/06/2013 Roger's - Chesapeake, VA
4/07/2013 Strange Matter - Richmond, VA
4/08/2013 The Windup Space - Baltimore, MD
4/09/2013 Middle East/Upstairs - Cambridge, MA
4/10/2013 St. Vitus - Brooklyn, NY
4/11/2013 St. Vitus - Brooklyn, NY
4/12/2013 El N Gee - Hartford, CT
4/13/2013 Theatre Plaza - Montreal, QC
4/14/2013 L'Agitee - Quebec City, QC
4/15/2013 Wreck Room - Toronto, ON
4/16/2013 Ace of Cups - Columbus, OH
4/17/2013 Mojoe's - Chicago, IL
4/18/2013 Rocco's - Milwaukee, WI
4/19/2013 Station 4 - Minneapolis, MN
4/20/2013 Zoo Cabaret - Winnipeg, MT
4/22/2013 Dickens Pub - Edmonton, AB
4/24/2013 Biltmore Cabaret - Vancouver, BC
4/25/2013 Highline - Seattle, WA
4/26/2013 Ash Street Saloon - Portland, OR
4/27/2013 Festum Carnis (Shinneybook Creek Cabins) - Soda Springs, CA
4/28/2013 DNA Lounge - San Francisco, CA
4/30/2013 The Vex - Los Angeles, CA
5/01/2013 Ruby Room - San Diego, CA
5/02/2013 Rocky Point Cantina - Tempe, AZ
5/04/2013 Boiler Room - Dallas, TX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Incredibly stoked, I'll be at the Milwaukee date.