Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Weaponized Cum posted:

Messhuggah loving sucks though. For real.

No way.

I mean they're not the greatest either. They are another example of "the older is better" but even their new one has a few stand out tracks. I saw them last weekend and it was a fun as hell show. Since then I've been enjoying Koloss alot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Meshuggah is one of those bands that I can listen to a few tracks from every once in a while, and listen to new albums the whole way through, but there's just something about it that doesn't sit right with me.

Still think Thordendal's solos are pretty cool though.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I used to be into really technical stuff, specifically as I was learning a lot about the technical aspects of music. It's fascinating to learn about polyrhythms, but in practice, basic percussive use of them gets really boring very quickly. The two-note polyrhythmic cycles over 4/4 are tiring, and they have one type of hook that gets very dull once you figure it out and get used to it. The one-tone vocals make it even worse. I wrote a fairly comprehensive commentary in a review of their last album.

On a more positive note, Tysondog loving rules, a great NWOBHM band that didn't catch a huge break, plus they're probably only the 9th best band from Newcastle or something. One of my favorites though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFtcOcX99Jc

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

No way.

I mean they're not the greatest either. They are another example of "the older is better" but even their new one has a few stand out tracks. I saw them last weekend and it was a fun as hell show. Since then I've been enjoying Koloss alot more.

Not my cup of tea. They're also directly responsible for that Djent poo poo. Unforgivable.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think it'd be fairer to blame Misha Mansoor for that. Or maybe Fellsilent, I guess, but they were more ahead of the curve and then turned into Tesseract and Monuments.

Or maybe you could blame SikTh but if you did that I'd be real mad because that's my favorite goddamn band.

bus stop
Jul 19, 2012
nah

muike posted:

I think it'd be fairer to blame Misha Mansoor for that. Or maybe Fellsilent, I guess, but they were more ahead of the curve and then turned into Tesseract and Monuments.

Or maybe you could blame SikTh but if you did that I'd be real mad because that's my favorite goddamn band.

Periphery may have made it popular, but I still blame Meshuggah for starting it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I actually listen to them a lot when I work out. Something about the basic-ness of their songs and his somewhat monotone yelling really works for me, but mostly in that atmosphere.

And yeah, I think that whole 'djent' word even came from an interview where their guitarist just used that word as an onomatopoeia to describe the type of sound and the interviewer wrote the word as 'djent'. Instead of dun dun dumm dittily dee it's djent djent weedily woop. And then a bunch of kids made a whole sub-genre centered around that.

Actually just googled this and came up with How Meshuggah invented Djent, and Periphery perfected Djent.

God drat I hope I never type that word again. It's so stupid.

muike posted:

Still think Thordendal's solos are pretty cool though.

This is just about the only part that I really don't like. In some songs it's okay, but for the most part it's so off that it kind of gets on my nerves.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just think it's a terrible shame to have an entire fretboard to work with, but to only down tune gratuitously and stick to the open chugs.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

I used to be into really technical stuff, specifically as I was learning a lot about the technical aspects of music. It's fascinating to learn about polyrhythms, but in practice, basic percussive use of them gets really boring very quickly. The two-note polyrhythmic cycles over 4/4 are tiring, and they have one type of hook that gets very dull once you figure it out and get used to it. The one-tone vocals make it even worse. I wrote a fairly comprehensive commentary in a review of their last album.

Meshuggah don't often use polyrhythms.

from wikipedia:

Polymeter is sometimes referred to as "tactus-preserving polymeter." The measure size differs, the beat is the same. Since the beat is the same, the various meters eventually agree. (Four measures of 7/4 = seven measures of 4/4).

Polyrhythm is sometimes referred to as "measure preserving polymeter,". The beat varies and the measure stays constant. For example, in a 4:3 polyrhythm, one part plays 4/4 while the other plays 3/4, but the 3/4 beats are stretched so that three beats of 3/4 are played in the same time as four beats of 4/4.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 22, 2016

bus stop
Jul 19, 2012
nah

Hammer Floyd posted:

I just think it's a terrible shame to have an entire fretboard to work with, but to only down tune gratuitously and stick to the open chugs.

I don't see what's not to like about chugging on low F# and getting that nice distorted fart tone.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

bus stop posted:

I don't see what's not to like about chugging on low F# and getting that nice distorted fart tone.

F, actually

I do like Meshuggah's guitar sound sometimes and they've got some pretty solid riffs but I think it's mostly Jens Kidman that I can't get along with. And some of the riffs end up sounding kinda...cheesey, I guess.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

muike posted:

F, actually

I do like Meshuggah's guitar sound sometimes and they've got some pretty solid riffs but I think it's mostly Jens Kidman that I can't get along with. And some of the riffs end up sounding kinda...cheesey, I guess.

No way, Meshuggah is loving serious and not cheesy in any way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A_tSyJBsRQ
(the best Meshuggah video)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

No way, Meshuggah is loving serious and not cheesy in any way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A_tSyJBsRQ
(the best Meshuggah video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QQls3ctMJ8
If Meshuggah covered their own songs as campfire songs they would rocket to the top of my lists.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

NTT posted:

My mind is blown that there is literally nowhere to buy a digital download of Beyond Creations "The Aura". :psyduck:

Amazon doesn't have it, iTunes doesn't have it, CDBaby doesn't have it, hell, they don't even have an official site to buy it from (although I DID find a merch store that sold a physical copy that I wasn't interested in buying over the internet).

They just signed to Season of Mist in the past couple days, so "The Aura" is going to be re-released with a bonus track...wait a couple months!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

muike posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QQls3ctMJ8
If Meshuggah covered their own songs as campfire songs they would rocket to the top of my lists.

One comment says that it's Tomas Haake singing that(???)

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Well, that's neat. I hadn't heard of Megiddo.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/extwidget/openGraph/wid/0_fute2uoe

Lars "designed" a new Vans shoe. It's pretty funny when he shows the shoe and says "well, I pretty much designed the whole thing myself", since the loving shoe pretty much looks like any other loving Vans shoe.
Just Ffw to 2:05

EDIT: As if I needed more reasons to love Iron Maiden, here's what they did in 1986 when they had to do a lipsync at a German TV Show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzqGQkLMo9o

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 23, 2013

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

To the kind soul who mentioned Ne Obliviscaris earlier in this thread: Thank you, goon sir. I picked up Portal of I by those guys and it is pretty much everything I want in a metal album (including unexpected violin shredding).

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
my only problem with it is that all the songs from their demo are included so I had already listened to half of it a billion times (not a real problem)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Martout posted:

They are very much either/or, I have yet to meet a metalhead who is on the fence about them. I thought they were poo poo for the longest time but after years of being subjected to them by friends who love them I've switched sides. Stockholm Syndrome? Hard to tell.

They were a pretty good prog-thrash band who for some reason wrote one song then decided to keep rewriting it over and over again for the next couple decades.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
So, Master is doing a US Tour.

NORTH AMERICAN DETONATION TOUR
MASTER - SACRIFICIAL SLAUGHTER - FISTHAMMER

Fri. March 1st - Los Angeles, CA @ The Joint
Sat.March 2nd - Oakland, CA @ Oakland Metro
Sun.March 3rd - Portland, OR @ The Branx
Mon.March 4th - Seattle, WA @ 2 Bit Saloon
Tue. March 5th - Boise, ID @ The Shredder
Wed.March 6th - Salt Lake City, UT @ The Complex
Thu. March 7th - Cheyenne, WY @ Forum 619
Fri. March 8th - Topeka, KS @ The Boobie Trap
Sat.March 9th - St. Louis, MO @ Fubar
Sun.March 10th - Madison, WI @ The Frequency
Mon.March 11th - Chicago, IL @ Reggie's Rock Club
Tue. March 12th - Warren, MI @ The Ritz
Wed. March 13th - Rochester, NY @ Bug Jar
Thu. March 14th - Providence, RI @ Firehouse 13
Fri. March 15th - Brooklyn, NY @ Saint Vitus Bar
Sat. March 16th - Philadelphia, PA @ Gunners Run
Sun. March 17th - Baltimore, MD @ Ottobar
Mon. March 18th - Asheville, NC @ Static Age Records
Tue. March 19th - Dothan, AL @ Herman's Billiards
Wed.March 20th - New Orleans, LA @ Siberia
Thu. March 21st - Fort Worth, TX @ Tomcats West
Fri. March 22nd - Oklahoma City, OK @ Chameleon Room
Sat. March 23rd - Houston, TX @ BFE Rock Club
Sun. March 24th - Austin, TX @ Beerland
Mon. March 25th - San Antonio, TX @ Zombies
Tue. March 26th - Midland, TX @ Pine Box
Wed.March 27th - Albuquerque, NM @ Launchpad
Thu. March 28th - Tucson, AZ @ The Rock
Fri. March 29th - Mexicali, MX @ Bar El Andariego
Sat. March 30th - Pomona, CA @ Characters Sports bar
Sun. March 31st - Oceanside, CA @ The Royal Dive *
Mon.April 1st - Long Beach, CA @ Alex's Bar *

I'm super stoked to be moving to the DC area, because EVERYTHING goes through DC/Richmond/Baltimore. BUT this show is the day before I get there. Bummer.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

This is by Ukranian metal band "Firelake." And yes, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so shush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Hqqh3CwXU

The thing is, I want something that sounds more mellow, much less metallic like this than their typical death metal. (Already have death sound covered) Any recommendations? Any language, but German, Russkie/Ukranian preferred.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Actually just googled this and came up with How Meshuggah invented Djent, and Periphery perfected Djent.

God drat I hope I never type that word again. It's so stupid.

I've been listening to metal since I was a kid and followed all sorts of subgenres throughout the years, and Djent is the first time I can't tell how a sound supposedly separates itself from all other metal. I understand the technique, and some of it sounds quite good. What I don't understand is how it's a subgenre or how anyone pioneered or invented it. It's like calling palm muting a genre, or use of arpeggios. You can attribute whatever technique you want to Eddie Van Halen, but that doesn't make Eddie Van Halen a genre. It's not even a new technique either; industrial metal has been doing the downtuned staccato chugging sound since forever, albeit mainly with sequencers rather than guitar technique. I guess I could accept that as a definition: Playing like it's industrial metal without machines doing the chugging.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It's just shorthand for "sounds like Meshuggah".

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Such is the life in the Zone. Bloodsuckers and horrible nu-metal

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You discover artifact "KoЯn album."

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Achievement Unlocked: JNCO Wardrobe Collection

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
This song is exceptional, an epic in its own right without overdoing anything. Manilla Road are awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EAR5-cQOL0

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Meshuggah is definitely a band you cannot be on the fence about, that's for sure. I've been listening to them since Chaosphere and every record has at least a few really solid tracks, but they can be straight up weird sometimes, no denying that.

Also, loving the Epic/Heavy Metal recommendations. Keep them coming :)

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 24, 2013

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I like one Meshuggah song, and that's "Combustion" off of Obzen. I don't know why they persist in churning out the same chugga-chugga stuff when they're capable of writing a total ripper like that track.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

Zodijackylite posted:

This song is exceptional, an epic in its own right without overdoing anything. Manilla Road are awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EAR5-cQOL0

I just started to get into their later albums and I was surprised how much they are like their 80s albums (in quality and production). It is like Mark Shelton simply went into a coma during the 90s, woke up, and started writing records again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97yvlTOrgfQ

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Juaguocio posted:

I like one Meshuggah song, and that's "Combustion" off of Obzen. I don't know why they persist in churning out the same chugga-chugga stuff when they're capable of writing a total ripper like that track.

Meshuggah sounds like a band who could benefit from doing some sort of side project! I'm sure they're all talented as hell, but I imagine that if they risk departing from their chuggy djent music they'd end up being accused of selling out, which could result in angry fans and a dissatisfied distro. Get them to make some thrashy, raw songs and I bet you'd have some fun poo poo!

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I know of one that does exist, (Fredrik's) Special Defects. Still a lot of Meshuggah in it, but with a lot of jazzy elements thrown in. Still has a lot of the problems Meshuggah does but it's a little easier to digest plus I like the vocals a lot better, being all gremlin-style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6kXLkJA6g0

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Djent isn't a real genre.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I prefer the term Fedoracore.:colbert:

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

Djent isn't a real genre.

Whether you believe it or not, it's become one, even if it's in name alone.

Edit: Point below makes more sense. It does seem like it's certainly a thing, but maybe not a genre in and unto itself. I've seen a lot of "Slamming" Death Metal tags around lately and I would attribute it to something like that as well.

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 25, 2013

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I don't think djent is a genre, just a movement in prog metal. To me calling it a genre is like calling Swedish-style death metal a different genre from American-style. Most of it is redundant, same-y crap but I do like a few bands (Cloudkicker, Animals as Leaders, Periphery). I know it's not the metal thread's type of jam and I'm fine with that, sometimes I just need something super hi-fi and modern with rubbery riffs.

Speaking of which, I saw Meshuggah last night and they completely killed it. One of the tightest live outfits I've ever seen. They all play to a click so they don't even count in their songs, they just start with no warning. It's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

watt par posted:

I prefer the term Fedoracore.:colbert: