Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

het posted:

I don't think an album has to be good or even original to be influential.

I agree with you and because of that I have to reluctantly admit that Korn's first record should be on that list then.

Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Stoat posted:

If you don't think Images and Words in influential I don't know what to tell you. It's not the best progressive metal album ever, that's not what the list is about, but there will be legit 100s of metal bands who cite it as an influence. It really was definitive for it's time.

Also every time you say Dream Theater aren't metal Portnoy forms another Adrenaline Mob style band so please stop!

I concede that it's an important album and that I'm probably pretty ignorant about the prog side of metal (which you all can tell I'm sure) but I am curious which metal bands, both distant and recent, view it as an influence?

And Adrenaline Mob may blow but at least they don't do any 2 minute song piano soft ballads!

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
The list really could use Manowar's Battle Hymns. Pioneering American power metal. Not sure I'd put Ride the Lightning over Kill Em All too.

Edit - Yeh and I'd put Bathory or possibly Hellhammer/Celtic Frost over Venom. If it was a top 15 I'd like to see Hammerheart or Blood Fire Death on there too.

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 21, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Happy Hippo posted:

I agree with you and because of that I have to reluctantly admit that Korn's first record should be on that list then.

Ugh.

So should the first Van Halen album.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

watt par posted:

So should the first Van Halen album.

Also Guns n Roses right? I mean, if up against King Diamond they're the obvious choice. (From 2 pages back)

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Meshuggah don't belong on the list. There's a bunch of djent wankers who won't shut up about it on the internet, but even the most prominent of those bands are still opening for bands like BTBAM. Take Meshuggah off the list and put Judas Priest in the top five, perhaps Killing Machine/HBFL is the album that best exemplifies their influence, though you can hear the influence of Sad Wings on pretty much every NWOBHM band. I'd replace Venom with Bathory - UTSOTBM has a sound like most black metal, you can really hear a similarity between that and most black metal. I'd say it's the sonic template of the style as much as one album can be pointed to.

Images and Words inspired countless softie prog metal bands that wanted to sound like Dream Theater, while I'd rather point to Fates Warning (TSW/ATG) as the most influential prog album, Dream Theater took that and sucked all the power out of it to make the foundation of general "progressive metal".

I think they're writing for their audience though, if they didn't put Meshuggah there, they'd have tons of complains from chugga chugga kids that their favorite technical nu-metal band is missing and they invented a form of music where guitarists don't even have to move beyond wanking in their bedroom.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
All this talk of prog metal has my interest piqued. What are some good starter albums?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

ScarletBrother posted:

All this talk of prog metal has my interest piqued. What are some good starter albums?

Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

ScarletBrother posted:

I'm assuming that you're asking about Dream Theater type poo poo but in case you're not heres my favorite prog-death album of all time. This might be my favorite album of all time, actually.

Edge of Sanity - Crimson II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScLDqcb0IpQ

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

ScarletBrother posted:

Fates Warning's "The Spectre Within" and "Awaken the Guardian". Emphasis on the metal more than the prog.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Vector loving own too. Black Future is a little bit better than Outer Isolation in my opinion but that may be from listening to Outer Isolation almost nonstop for a while.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

ScarletBrother posted:

In addition to Fates Warning:

Dark Quarterer - S/T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cb5mWQwB9U
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAI2QOBMlTA
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdGD3Ukb3Q0
Crimson Glory - S/T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZDE1rWyoe8

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.

ScarletBrother posted:

Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian, The Spectre Within. Two of the albums that really helped define the genre. They were like the missing link between Iron Maiden and Rush.

Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance. This is the original singer of Fates Warning back with a bunch of past and present FW members for a new project. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwcL04CYews

Pain of Salvation - Entropia, Remedy Lane. Their last couple of albums have been more of a retro 70's rock thing, but check out their earlier material. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27dgfyiyMMI

Aghora - Formless. Progressive metal from Miami with female vocals and just a touch of jazz-fusion. They used to have the two Seans from Cynic and Death in their rhythm section, and Sean Reinart is on about half of their second album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at_zCqifAoo

OSI - OSI, Fire Make Thunder. They seem to mix prog metal and alt-rock in an interesting way. Jim of Fates Warning, Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater), and either Mike Portnoy or Gavin Harrison from Porcupine Tree on drums. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qd8-v4VWVc

And for some bands more in the Dream Theater mold, but not necessarily clones, check out Andromeda, Thought Chamber, Dominici (but only the second and third album), Time Machine, Odd Dimension, and Threshold.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Though they're not really full-on 'metal', you should check out Änglagård if you're investigating prog. Impressive stuff, and they only had an album, an EP, and a live album, so it's not a huge undertaking.

Wait, they also have a new line-up and a new album that came out last year, so that's (probably) excellent news, considering the 15-year gap.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

New video from Kvelertak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf98NT3f1Ys

loving love it, can't wait to listen to the whole album.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

euroboy posted:

New video from Kvelertak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf98NT3f1Ys

loving love it, can't wait to listen to the whole album.

http://stereogum.com/1290242/stream-kvelertak-meir-stereogum-premiere/album-stream/

It's really really good

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

ScarletBrother posted:

Dream Theater - Images & Words

I mean top 10 lists are loving retarded but this is the finest prog metal album ever made and influenced countless bands for a good reason. Also check out anything they did up to/including Train of Thought.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Cheapsteaks posted:

I concede that it's an important album and that I'm probably pretty ignorant about the prog side of metal (which you all can tell I'm sure) but I am curious which metal bands, both distant and recent, view it as an influence?

And Adrenaline Mob may blow but at least they don't do any 2 minute song piano soft ballads!

I don't have the time off the top of my head to go hunting for the mentions, but I know Opeth cited them as a DT fan.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I mean top 10 lists are loving retarded but this is the finest prog metal album ever made and influenced countless bands for a good reason. Also check out anything they did up to but not including Train of Thought.

Fixed it for you.

Train Of Thought has got so much blatant Metallica worship. Dream Theater are a group of nerds, they shouldn't try to be tough burly metalheads as they tried on ToT.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Hammer Floyd posted:

Fixed it for you.

Train Of Thought has got so much blatant Metallica worship. Dream Theater are a group of nerds, they shouldn't try to be tough burly metalheads as they tried on ToT.

They said 'gently caress' in the opening track.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hammer Floyd posted:

Fixed it for you.

A Dramatic Turn of Events is really a return to form though.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I mean top 10 lists are loving retarded but this is the finest prog metal album ever made

No that would be Scenes From a Memory.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Scenes From a Memory is one of my all-time favorite albums, but I think Images & Words was probably more influential as far as nerdy prog metal goes.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

It's on Spotify now as well. http://open.spotify.com/album/1147s32sIAabDpmBeBf2bN

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Only Braune Brenn - the rest of the album isn't available yet (at least in the US).

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Some new Ghost songs played live. I will be seeing them in London this Sunday and am really looking forward to it. Looks and sounds so spooky and atmospheric (I'm a sucker for theatrics).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rc_Tj0WKxE

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn
Is anyone other than me closely following news from the latest release The Meads of Asphodel will be putting out this year? All of the reviews I've read so far seem to indicate that this will most likely be a loving masterpiece like The Murder of Jesus the Jew. I'm hyped to the max :dance:

JamesWestfall
Mar 29, 2010

Has anyone here had any experience ordering from Southern Lord? I ordered a few shirts from them a couple weeks ago and they haven't gotten to me or emailed me any kind of shipping information/confirmation. Is this standard from them?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

JamesWestfall posted:

Has anyone here had any experience ordering from Southern Lord? I ordered a few shirts from them a couple weeks ago and they haven't gotten to me or emailed me any kind of shipping information/confirmation. Is this standard from them?

That's pretty standard.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

All the prog metal hate :negative:

Besides Images and Words, there are a few other albums that I have found to be great representatives of prog.

Symphony X - V

Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic Calling

Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time

Myrath - Desert Call

Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls

If you end up liking Images and Words, I would definitely give these all a listen.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
I assume there's at least one or two Fates Warning fans in here somewhere?

FATES WARNING tour dates
Nov. 15--Joliet, IL--Mojoe's
Nov. 16--Detroit, MI--Harpos
Nov. 17--Louisville, KY--Diamond Pub & Billiards
Nov. 18--Cleveland, OH--Peabody's
Nov. 20--Toronto, ONT--Mod Club
Nov. 21--Poughkeepsie, NY--The Chance
Nov. 22--Hartford, CT--Webster Theater
Nov. 23--New York, NY--The Studio @ Webster Hall
Nov. 24--Clifton, NJ--Dingbatz
Nov. 26--Amityville, NY--Revolution
Nov. 27--Lancaster, PA--Chameleon Club
Nov. 30--Spartanburg, SC--Ground Zero
Dec. 1--Atlanta, GA--Masquerade
Dec. 3--Houston, TX--Scout Bar
Dec. 4--San Antonio, TX--Backstage Live
Dec. 5--Dallas, TX--Trees
Dec. 7--Phoenix, AZ--Rocky Point Cantina
Dec. 8--San Diego, CA--Brick By Brick
Dec. 10--Los Angeles, CA--The Whisky
Dec. 11--San Francisco, CA--DNA Lounge
Dec. 13--Portland, OR--Hawthorne Theater
Dec. 14--Seatlle, WA--Studio Seven

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

thepitgoddess posted:

FATES WARNING tour dates

Awesome, a CT hometown show and perhaps a valid excuse to go to the void known as Poughkeepsie. Any idea about openers?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
The steam of the new Wormed is making me pretty happy.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/03/22/exclusive-full-album-stream-wormed-exodromos/

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

JamesWestfall posted:

Yeah. You'll get your stuff. Sit tight.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Party of me digs Tengger Cavalry, and part of me pictures Kermit the frog bellydancing when the throat singing fires up.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Incantation kicks so much rear end live. Go loving see them.

Xaziel
Mar 21, 2013
Incantation kicks so much rear end in studio. Go loving listen to them.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

thepitgoddess posted:

FATES WARNING tour dates
Man, nowhere closer to DC than Lancaster? That's ridiculous

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

het posted:

Man, nowhere closer to DC than Lancaster? That's ridiculous

I figure a lot of commuters can't make it to weeknight shows, so a lot of bands/organizers think DC sucks and just pass it over. At least we're moving into a good season for awesome shows.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Sweet, Sat night show in SC. I'll be there

Also, in other news, Hells Headbangers has an infomercial out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogC54-Q7XeA

I thought it was pretty funny.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ChickenArise posted:

I figure a lot of commuters can't make it to weeknight shows, so a lot of bands/organizers think DC sucks and just pass it over. At least we're moving into a good season for awesome shows.

But the horrible DC traffic makes it so you just miss the crummy opening bands, it's perfect!

Durendal posted:

All the prog metal hate :negative:

Besides Images and Words, there are a few other albums that I have found to be great representatives of prog.

Symphony X - V

Myrath - Desert Call

Wasn't Myrath just straight up Symphony X worship?