Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
I dunno why, but every time I see a Quebecois metalhead, I know immediately that they are from Quebec. They don't even have to say anything. I've never even been to Quebec. Anyone else know what I mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

futile posted:

Well I have now. A decent laugh from Gwar and Agalloch and maybe a tear at the Mustaine thing. Then I noticed the image at the top. Love it.

Eh, it doesn't surprise me from Mustaine, although I'd heard about him and Santorum before. I do think I have to agree with Gwar on this one though.

They should see what good old Varg has to say.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Sweet christ yessssss

Blabbermouth.net posted:

Swedish black metallers MARDUK will embark on a North American tour in June with support from 1349, WITHERED and WEAPON. The dates are as follows:

June 02 - Baltimore, MD - Sonar
June 03 - Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg
June 04 - Montreal, QC - Les Foufounes Electriques
June 05 - Toronto, ON - Wreck Room
June 06 - Ottawa, ON - Maverick's
June 07 - Columbus, OH - Alrosa Villa
June 08 - Chicago, IL - Reggie's
June 09 - St. Paul, MN - Station 4
June 10 - Winnipeg, MB - Park Theater
June 11 - Regina, SK - The Exchange
June 12 - Calgary, AB - Distillery
June 14 - Vancouver, BC - Rickshaw Theater
June 15 - Seattle, WA - Studio Seven
June 16 - Portland, OR - Bossanova
June 17 - San Francisco, CA - DNA Lounge
June 18 - Fullerton, CA - Slidebar
June 19 - Hollywood, CA - House of Blues
June 20 - San Diego, CA - Ruby Room

This is awesome. The Alrosa Villa is five minutes away from my apartment; definitely stoked for this.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Nothing in new england at all :(

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Devin Townsend is :canada:

Haven't heard the new Sigh yet, is it similar to Imaginary Sonicscape? Their earlier more harsh stuff is pretty good if unfocused, they were still getting the whole genre-hopping thing down. Everything after Sonicscape has been above-average-not-amazing to me. Also I wonder what 'G' word their next album will start with (way better naming gimmick than Morbid Angel :) ).

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

It's got a few upbeat Gallows Gallery-esque tunes at either end of the album with a big long suite of spacey psychedelic stuff reminiscent of Imaginary Sonicscape in the middle. Definitely a unique beast though; describing it in terms of their previous material doesn't really do it justice.

Also there was a recent interview wherein Mirai said this could be their last album :ohdear:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Mammal Sauce posted:

Also there was a recent interview wherein Mirai said this could be their last album :ohdear:

What?! :ohdear:

I hope not, but drat what an awesome album to go out on.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Turk February posted:

Marduk

A few people have bagged on Marduk for being pretty same-y and boring, but goddamn do they put on an awesome and professional live show. I've seen them twice and they were great both times.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Mammal Sauce posted:

It's got a few upbeat Gallows Gallery-esque tunes at either end of the album with a big long suite of spacey psychedelic stuff reminiscent of Imaginary Sonicscape in the middle. Definitely a unique beast though; describing it in terms of their previous material doesn't really do it justice.

But... it's only at SIGH in the next cycle of album titles. There need to be at least 2 more albums.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The Agalloch one is hilarious, it's the exact same "Does he know what he sounds like" I expect from them at all times
Honestly, I was kind of surprised when it turned out to be Aesop. Not just because he's still so new it is weird to think of him speaking for Agalloch, but because his blog tends to be more dick jokes and straightforward music production discussion. My money was on Don when I read that, because it sounded like a Sculptured sort of thing.

I hope someone responds "I support voting so you can get that little sticker that gives you free drinks at all the bars so you can forget the whole experience." But Korpiklaani is Finnish, and I doubt they have those stickers in Finland.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I would make no such claim. It's going to take a whole hell of a lot of metal to make up for infecting the rest of the world with likes of Nickleback.

Um Nickleback aren't Canadian, they're from Alberta?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Diet Poison posted:

Um Nickleback aren't Canadian, they're from Alberta?

I dunno if you mean Alberta in Alabama, Michigan, Minnesota or Virginia, but Nickelback are from This Alberta.

Of course you may have just been making a "hee hee but Alberta isn't real Canada" joke for some reason. I wouldn't know since I'm not from around those parts.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Jeez the last page or so had entirely too much tech death. And sigh talk, that band has been awful for over a decade.

Have something good. Or if you must listen to tech, the Timeghoul discography was released as a comp not so long ago.

Oh and the new Demoncy has been floating about for a while now I guess.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 8, 2012

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

The Clit Avoider posted:

Have something good.

This is loving nasty. I'm surprised by how many 80s thrash bands I've never heard of at all.

futile
May 18, 2009

The Clit Avoider posted:

Jeez the last page or so had entirely too much tech death. And sigh talk, that band has been awful for over a decade.

Have something good. Or if you must listen to tech, the Timeghoul discography was released as a comp not so long ago.

Oh and the new Demoncy has been floating about for a while now I guess.
No such thing as too much tech death. But if it's trash you want, then thrash you shall have.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just heard about that Marduk show today -- like most here I assume, they were one of the first BM bands I got into. Mainly for their "gently caress Me Jesus" ep. :3:

Them and 1349 should be a nice night.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

The Clit Avoider posted:

Have something good.
That whole album is incredible and I think Spit on Your Grave is one of the best songs ever.

Speaking of Whiplash, I'm looking for more speed/thrash similar to them, early-Razor and early-Overkill. Basically bands that listened to too much Motorhead and have awesome singers and guitar riffs. Any recommendations?

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Just heard about that Marduk show today -- like most here I assume, they were one of the first BM bands I got into. Mainly for their "gently caress Me Jesus" ep. :3:

Them and 1349 should be a nice night.

drat, they're playing with Withered and Weapon. Should be awesome.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Witchfinder General posted:

That whole album is incredible and I think Spit on Your Grave is one of the best songs ever.

Speaking of Whiplash, I'm looking for more speed/thrash similar to them, early-Razor and early-Overkill. Basically bands that listened to too much Motorhead and have awesome singers and guitar riffs. Any recommendations?

The underground is pretty much trying to spawn a speed/[insert subgenre that isn't thrash here] revival. Try Hellbringer, Trench Hell from Oz to see what I mean.

However, Midnight is pretty much the most obvious shout in the world. More people need to know about Speedwolf though.

And I doubt many guess the guys from Blasphemophager could play this kind of poo poo. Vocals an acquired taste mind.

Depends what you can put up with - speed/black opens up Gehennah etc and a crapload of bands who want to be early Bathory (Power from Hell).

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

The Clit Avoider posted:

The underground is pretty much trying to spawn a speed/[insert subgenre that isn't thrash here] revival. Try Hellbringer, Trench Hell from Oz to see what I mean.

However, Midnight is pretty much the most obvious shout in the world. More people need to know about Speedwolf though.

Depends what you can put up with - speed/black opens up Gehennah etc and a crapload of bands who want to be early Bathory (Power from Hell).
I totally forgot about Speedwolf, my friend was going nuts over them a little while ago. Hellbringer and Trench Hell are pretty cool, too, thanks.

A lot of black thrash and speed metal seems to bleed together for me especially if the production is poo poo (or purposefully poo poo). As much as I love early Bathory I'm not big on Power From Hell the band, but you just reminded me that Power From Hell the album by Onslaught is awesome so I'm listening to that now.

Onslaught - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlPt7pyGpeg&feature=related

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 8, 2012

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm new to the world of technical death metal, but come on, Spawn of Possession's new album has to be considered something special, right? This is absolutely ridiculous, inhuman material. I don't think I've heard musicianship and songwriting this intense before.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Witchfinder General posted:

Yes, no, maybe so?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1KbRxNIeSw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1KGOgxrPTQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwUwUvJ0fl4

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 8, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Trees and Squids posted:

I'm new to the world of technical death metal, but come on, Spawn of Possession's new album has to be considered something special, right? This is absolutely ridiculous, inhuman material. I don't think I've heard musicianship and songwriting this intense before.

It's a good album but I wasn't blown away.

Sorry, i'm that guy. :(

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Trees and Squids posted:

Here's the thing with musicianship. Today, you can spend 30 minutes on youtube and find some little kid who's better. Musicianship isn't special anymore, for me, its more about how intense the music is. It has to invoke emotions, tech death typically is a genre that doesn't do that.

The album is very good, but its still tech death.

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

SoP's Incurso is good stuff, but I'm feeling a lot of the same reactions I had to last year's Origin and Obscura albums. Nothing's blowing me away quite on the level of Entity, but I can tell Incurso is probably gonna grow on me.

edit: It grew on me, Incurso's pretty fuckin' awesome.

MMF DOOM fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 9, 2012

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Impiety promo release!
Woo, this is fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-32eaHpkFg&feature=share

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I honestly believe that 99.9% of tech metal is absolutely woeful, and production techniques commonly used by the bands contribute to making them sound even worse (the guitar tones are obnoxious most of the time for a start, let's not even discuss drums). This is especially true for tech death and brutal tech death, which frequently blurs the lines between deathcore and death metal in production. (As an aside, technical deathcore may very well be the biggest aural abomination I can think of).

Of the stuff I find acceptable, most don't sound far removed from the genre they're part of (eg. Obliveon), that is to say, without being told they're expressly playing technical music you wouldn't sit and think "oh my god the bass lines" or whatever. Others (Demilich) are just so far removed from everything else that the overlying thoughts are on how alien it is, rather than technical - amazing songwriting doesn't hurt either.

However for the most part, tech death bands write albums like loving Gorguts - chaotic to the point of being disjointed, technical to the point of boredom (something that isn't helped by riff recycling and being too long), and atonal to the point of apathy.

It doesn't rouse any emotion in me at all. Too many polyrhythms and layers just endlessly merging into each other, only to be repeated at a later junction. Obscura just sounds like a bunch of guys got together and tried to make an album that sounds artsy and technical and blended far too many ideas. People talk about how many genres it draws influence from - and I'd rather be listening to any of those genres than that album.

If all you want to do is drool over how well a band can play instruments, then just skip everyone else and listen to Pavor and Martyr.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Sounds like you need some Gorod in your life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RsG1Vo7kYo&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk33XxnPJNs&hd=1

But yeah I understand what you mean. So far there's been 3 tech death bands that stand out to me: Gorod, Spawn of Possession and Necrophagist (< might be because it's the band that got me into the genre, so I might be biased). Gorod is probably my favorite band in the genre since it's just so god drat groovy and catchy I can't get enough of it, while still remaining brutal :black101:. SoP has this crazy sinister sound and some catchy melodies to boot, and Necrophagist well gently caress I dont know, I just like them for some reason. Oh gently caress I almost forgot Beyond Creation, they're just awesome.

The rest of the tech death that I've heard has been pretty boring and forgettable, especially this recent "brutal tech death" that apparently exists now.

Tech death is probably my favorite genre because I'm a shallow idiot that needs something to hold my attention through out the songs. The typical verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, verse, chorus structure, where the verse consists of like 3 chords and the chorus is 3 different ones, just doesn't hold my attention. :downs:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Early Morbid Angel is actually extremely technical and yet doesn't sound it because of the song structure they employed. And At the Gates may well be the kings of song structure.

Honestly, there's thousands of bands out there that don't follow generic structure and progression - it's not nu-metal.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

The Clit Avoider posted:

Early Morbid Angel is actually extremely technical and yet doesn't sound it because of the song structure they employed. And At the Gates may well be the kings of song structure.

Honestly, there's thousands of bands out there that don't follow generic structure and progression - it's not nu-metal.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to state it as a fact that every genre that isn't tech death is generic and boring. I've just had some trouble finding something I like as much as tech death that isn't tech death.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

Westopher posted:

Spawn o Possession's Incurso is good stuff, but...

edit: It grew on me, Incurso's pretty fuckin' awesome.

This really took a while to click for me too. At first I shrugged it off as pretty generic death, but I gave it another spin and there's definitely some killer stuff going on in it. I haven't been so impressed by bass playing on a death metal album since Cryptopsy's None So Vile. If you like The Faceless, then you have to check this it out.

The album is streaming here

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

lordblytzkrieg posted:

It has to invoke emotions, tech death typically is a genre that doesn't do that.

The Clit Avoider posted:

It doesn't rouse any emotion in me at all.

It's funny because the biggest emotional response I get from metal music is when I hear a really good riff or solo. It's like an upsurge of energy and joy which is really hard to describe. I think it has something to do with the concentration required to properly absorb the complexity of the music (Leibniz said the joy in music comes from "a hidden arithmetic exercise of the soul, which does not know that it is counting").

The problem is I think brains get better at discerning complexity. When I was a kid I would get this joyful response from listening to Metallica, Iron Maiden etc., but soon all that stuff was too slow and simplistic. Then came Dream Theater, Symphony X, and guys like Satch and Vinnie Moore, but soon even they started getting a bit tame.

Now most of the riffs that make my brain leap for joy come from technical death metal. When I first heard this 10 or so seconds I had the same emotional response as listening to seek and destroy or phantom of the opera when I was 10.

I don't really get any other emotional response from metal. It doesn't make me angry or eager to burn down churches or whatever.

(I agree that lots of tech death is pretty bad though. I'm always waxing lyrical about psycroptic and necrophagist but I'm not really a fan of obscura.)

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I don't get why people say stuff like "a lot of tech death is bad" like that's unique to that subgenre. A lot of music is bad

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

fuf posted:

It's funny because the biggest emotional response I get from metal music is when I hear a really good riff or solo. It's like an upsurge of energy and joy which is really hard to describe. I think it has something to do with the concentration required to properly absorb the complexity of the music (Leibniz said the joy in music comes from "a hidden arithmetic exercise of the soul, which does not know that it is counting").

The problem is I think brains get better at discerning complexity. When I was a kid I would get this joyful response from listening to Metallica, Iron Maiden etc., but soon all that stuff was too slow and simplistic. Then came Dream Theater, Symphony X, and guys like Satch and Vinnie Moore, but soon even they started getting a bit tame.

Now most of the riffs that make my brain leap for joy come from technical death metal. When I first heard this 10 or so seconds I had the same emotional response as listening to seek and destroy or phantom of the opera when I was 10.

I don't really get any other emotional response from metal. It doesn't make me angry or eager to burn down churches or whatever.

(I agree that lots of tech death is pretty bad though. I'm always waxing lyrical about psycroptic and necrophagist but I'm not really a fan of obscura.)

So, let me get this straight - your viewpoint is that people that don't appreciate the inherent complexity of technical music are somehow either unable to concentrate to the degree necessary to appreciate it, or are otherwise lacking cerebrally and have never moved past enjoying "simple" compositions? Yeah, I'm being deliberately obtuse, but...

Since you're throwing philosophical reasoning into the mix, I'd just point out that one of the cornerstones of "art" is that the medium chosen is attempting to convey emotion. That is to say, all forms of art should be able to move the observer or listener in some form - whether it be joy, sadness, anger, or otherwise. Whether that's because the artist is attempting to share their own emotions or provoke a response, or purely something the observer feels is dependent on the art in question - but it's the very emotions that it stirs that makes the experience subjective.

Does that mean that something that provokes only apathy and boredom isn't art? No, but it does suggest that there's something deeply flawed in applying a quote by Leibniz to justify what amounts to an analytical approach to enjoying music. It's a bit like walking around telling people that nature is beautiful purely because of the almost universal conformation to the golden ratio - you're no longer appreciating the subject, but merely elevating a single aspect of its existence at the expense of all others in an almost robotic fashion.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I dunno, I started listening to tech death when I was in high school I guess because of the "holy gently caress, how can these guys play this?" factor. Then again, my favorite tech death band was Necrophagist and they haven't even put out an album in years, which may explain why I've grown weary of the genre. The last few pages of this thread reinvigorated my interest though.

Honestly, I've always been a fan of somewhat "technical" music, whether it be Yes or Dream Theater or Coroner. Might just be the whole progressive aspect of the music. I enjoy that stuff for different reasons than I enjoy "simpler" music.

As far as emotional response, I can get off just as easily on Peter Gabriel solo stuff than I can Behemoth. Personally I tend to get a better emotional reaction when I can kind of understand what the artist is trying to do with a particular song. Sometimes this takes multiple listens or even revisiting the album to wrap the music around my head. So I guess in the base level, understanding the music helps me connect with it, so to speak.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

fuf posted:

I should have clarified, it doesn't invoke a lot of emotion for me at all. Like Vargatron I got into tech death because of the "holy gently caress" factor as well, but speed and technicality doesn't excite me anymore. It's not special anymore, and that's 100% because of the internet and the hundreds of youtube sensations destroying all sense of their life to play a 300bpm arpeggio.

As I've grown older I have started to look at a whole song and the whole idea of what they're trying to convey. When it's a disjointed mess of tempo changes and atonal riffing it bothers me.

Now, some songs are amazing standouts for me in the genre. Obscura's Incarnated is a sick song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzjKMYsiGyk

Along with Origin's first track on Antithesis. That track is just pure aggression non-stop. I love it.

Also it might be because when I go to local shows there's always a band that tries to be the next Necrophagist and it's annoying because they're not.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

The Clit Avoider posted:

So, let me get this straight - your viewpoint is that people that don't appreciate the inherent complexity of technical music are somehow either unable to concentrate to the degree necessary to appreciate it, or are otherwise lacking cerebrally and have never moved past enjoying "simple" compositions? Yeah, I'm being deliberately obtuse, but...

Not really, I was just talking about my own enjoyment of metal and how it has changed. :shobon: I'm sure people have all kinds of different responses to music. I guess my post might have implied I was talking more universally though, sorry.

But I do think it's true that if you listen to lots of metal you develop a taste or sensitivity that lets you enjoy music that is literally "just noise" to lots of people. It's nothing to do with being more advanced, it's just a taste, like lots of other acquired tastes.

quote:

Since you're throwing philosophical reasoning into the mix, I'd just point out that one of the cornerstones of "art" is that the medium chosen is attempting to convey emotion. That is to say, all forms of art should be able to move the observer or listener in some form - whether it be joy, sadness, anger, or otherwise. Whether that's because the artist is attempting to share their own emotions or provoke a response, or purely something the observer feels is dependent on the art in question - but it's the very emotions that it stirs that makes the experience subjective.

Does that mean that something that provokes only apathy and boredom isn't art? No, but it does suggest that there's something deeply flawed in applying a quote by Leibniz to justify what amounts to an analytical approach to enjoying music. It's a bit like walking around telling people that nature is beautiful purely because of the almost universal conformation to the golden ratio - you're no longer appreciating the subject, but merely elevating a single aspect of its existence at the expense of all others in an almost robotic fashion.

I wasn't talking about what art is or what emotions it should evoke. I was literally just talking about my own emotional reaction to metal music. The Leibniz quote has nothing to do with defining art or what is beautiful (in my post or in its original context).

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
This is really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Ar3ckeVOg

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

fuf posted:

This is really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Ar3ckeVOg

That guy's videos are hilarious! His Radio Disney version of Messugah's Bleed Is really pretty impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Why hate tech death? I can enjoy listening to Beyond Creation than going straight into Whiplash any day of the week. More the merrier.