Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
This might be old news, but Chris Amott left Arch Enemy, replaced by Nick Cordle of Arsis. I don't think this will really have an effect on AE's sound since they've dealt with Chris leaving before.

via AE's website:

quote:

ARCH ENEMY are pleased to welcome 26 year old American guitarist Nick Cordle on board as they continue their touring activity following the release of their recent ”Khaos Legions” (2011) album.

Founding guitarist Michael Amott comments: ”Nick was my first choice as he ticks all the right boxes for Arch Enemy with his musicality and technicality as well as his personality and dedication. Looking forward to having him join us on stage, the rehearsals have shown we have a devastating twin axe attack going on!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I used to think that Arch Enemy were the absolute best when I was younger, but now I actually can't stomach them at all. Which is strange, really, because I still love all of the other bands like Opeth and Katatonia I got into at the same time.

I'm not sure what it is, if it's just their Sneap-production and lame fvck-da-system themes or what.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Perfect Element posted:

I used to think that Arch Enemy were the absolute best when I was younger, but now I actually can't stomach them at all. Which is strange, really, because I still love all of the other bands like Opeth and Katatonia I got into at the same time.

I'm not sure what it is, if it's just their Sneap-production and lame fvck-da-system themes or what.
Stigmata is still a pretty sick album and I do throw it on from time to time. Burning Bridges had its cool parts, but too many riffs lifted wholesale out of classic metal albums for my tastes.

Agreed that anything with Angela Gossow sucks poo poo, though. Andy Sneap was one of the worst things to ever happen to metal music, but at least his presence in an album's credits makes an easy screening mechanism for new bands.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
"Khaos Legions" is Arch Enemy's best since "Burning Bridges", it's probably Angela's best vocal performance with the band. It still wasn't interesting enough to make it a regular listen, I think I listened to it two or three times :effort:

They never put together anything as good as their parts, even if you exclude the mediocre vocals. Four of the members have been on better albums outside of AE, but the instruments have been overly polished in the songwriting seems like a framework for lame vocals and shiny guitar solos.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Bolt Thrower

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Bolt Thrower

this

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 22, 2016

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

Zodijackylite posted:

"Khaos Legions" is Arch Enemy's best since "Burning Bridges", it's probably Angela's best vocal performance with the band.

This may not count but she sounded fuckin' fierce on Tyrants Of The Rising Sun. I personally get noticeably erect when listening to live albums. If you like Arch Enemy and live recordings Tyrants Of The Rising Sun won't let you down.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Bolt Thrower

You can never go wrong with Bolt Thrower.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
One of my friends posted this as being a new metal band... with Jada Pinkett-Smith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWO9ZLYmteU

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

Houseplant posted:

One of my friends posted this as being a new metal band... with Jada Pinkett-Smith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWO9ZLYmteU

This band is awful. I saw them at Ozzfest back in the day and Will was there watching. They still sucked.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Anyone received their copy of the latest Angel Witch album yet? It's still in transit, how has it been received by people (whining bastards on forums and zines)?

Procession are touring down under, woohoo.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Bolt Thrower

For ever and ever

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Holy poo poo, Wintersun updated their site.

quote:

"We are very excited to announce that we are going to be headlining the 2012 Heidenfest Tour in October. There was some setbacks with the album during the winter (again), but as usual we have managed to ram through them. (Big thanks to our management for helping us through the tough times!). I´ve been mixing my rear end off and things are going smooth and steady now and the album will be released late summer. Stay tuned for bigger updates about the album (or should we say "albums", wink wink!)“ Jari and the Wintersun boys, cheers!

Also, Bolt Thrower are the poo poo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

quote:

the album will be released late summer

So, 2015 or so. I'm excited!

Also, jumping on the Bolt Thrower train.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I swear to loving god if this Wintersun album doesnt make me literally drown in a sea of my own poo poo upon first listening I will probably just kill myself out of frustration/severe depression.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
The album being delayed because of computer inadequacy is one of the lamest things I've ever heard in metal. :gay:

Bolt Thrower never whined about their l33tness

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 20, 2012

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
"as usual we managed to ram through them." Made me laugh pretty hard, subtle computer joke?

Also, Bolt Thrower.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Where do yall get your shirts besides at a band's show? I need to restock on goony as gently caress metal shirts

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

The new Black Breath is loving awesome. Anybody else checking this out?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Westopher posted:

The new Black Breath is loving awesome. Anybody else checking this out?

I've heard mixed things. I'll check it tomorrow. Kind of feel it should be in the hardcore thread also...

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

Killsion posted:

I've heard mixed things. I'll check it tomorrow. Kind of feel it should be in the hardcore thread also...

Starts nearly exactly like Altars of Madness, and the album art and general rear end-kickery scream Kill 'Em All. It feels right at home here.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
The only downside to the new Black Breath is that the sound mastering seems to be worse than Heavy Breathing, but that album was essentially perfect.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

It's really good, but it doesn't kick you in the guts like Heavy Breathing.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Bolt Thrower

This man speaks the thruth

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster
Oh man, that new Meshuggah album is good. As in, it is quite literally mind-numbingly good. I can't stop listening to it. Seeing any of these songs preformed live would probably be brain crushing.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Bolt Thrower

Counterpoint: Obituary.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
So, I thanked Mantis and The Demolition Man for black metal. Goddamnit. :downs:

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

nuncle jimbo posted:

Where do yall get your shirts besides at a band's show? I need to restock on goony as gently caress metal shirts

I like Plastichead in the UK best but you'll pay for the quality.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I don't get Meshuggah, what am I doing wrong? All I hear is a lot of percussion and an angry dude trying to do percussion with his voice. Which album should I listen to first because it seems i'm missing on something :downs:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

SilverSmoke posted:

I don't get Meshuggah, what am I doing wrong? All I hear is a lot of percussion and an angry dude trying to do percussion with his voice. Which album should I listen to first because it seems i'm missing on something :downs:

Meshuggah has always been really hit-or-miss with me. I like their older albums because they seemed to have this cohesive thrash-tinge to their sound, even if it was minimal at best. "Chaosphere", "Destroy Erase Improve" and the 21 minute song/EP titled "I" are my favorites. I have "Koloss" but haven't given it a listen yet as I wasn't too thrilled with that 'Break The Bones And...' whatever-the-gently caress title it was sucking pretty hard.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

nuncle jimbo posted:

I use CM Distro, or buy straight from the record label.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

SilverSmoke posted:

You aren't doing anything wrong, they're just a terrible band.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

SilverSmoke posted:

Destroy Erase Improve is the only solid album they've put out IMO

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I'm in the 'Meshuggah are amazing' camp, but I can completely understand why they're not to some people's taste.

I think they have, conceptually, been steadily progressing/evolving/whatever throughout their albums, reaching the peak of their mechanical, amelodic dystopian sound with Catch 33, and have, with obZen and the new one been moving in a more conventional direction. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they change in years to come, hurrah.

I do actually see Meshuggah's music as quite expressive, with their sound depicting a kind of senseless, miserable, grim industrial future. I'm just rambling now, because hey, I like Meshuggah.

I think a good starting point is their album 'Nothing', because it fully embraces the percussive, dissonant nature of their sound while still remembering to rock pretty hard.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Djent is the metal version of brostep

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
No way Meshuggah is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A_tSyJBsRQ

and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzWqP9s_EOA

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 21, 2012

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

No way Meshuggah is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A_tSyJBsRQ

and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzWqP9s_EOA

Meshuggah WAS awesome

I just listened to the new song and it's everything that's turned me off to them after chaosphere

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
As time passes it's harder and harder to enjoy Meshuggah's stuff, because at the end of the day their music is completely devoid of hooks, riffs, or anything particularly memorable. While this is common of metal, almost every noteworthy band has a "holy poo poo they will never top x" moment or a "this is the best starting point for this band" moment; Meshuggah just doesn't, with the single example I can think of being "Dehumanization" at 1:25 -- I think we all know what happens at that part of the song, but in my opinion it's the last powerful or compelling piece of music Meshuggah ever wrote.

edit: "Rational Gaze" has a great intro riff, one they ride side-saddle all the way to the end of the album.

edit: Koloss, as an album, sounds like the process by which older first-generation iPods are harvested for rare materials and turned into new sleek iPods -- Koloss is that older iPod. If there is a sound for soulless calculated industry at the hands of endless fleets of corporate drones, like the soundtrack to Foxconn or something, this is that album. While I get that that's their "thing," it stopped sounding like T-1000 metal and more like conveyor belts on record three albums ago.

vanov fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 21, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

m-o-o-n posted:

Djent is the metal version of brostep
I've been saying for years that in 10 years people will look at Meshuggah the way we look at Yngwie Malmsteen today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Misogynist posted:

I've been saying for years that in 10 years people will look at Meshuggah the way we look at Yngwie Malmsteen today

How long has it been 10 years for