Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Myrkur released a single for the new album, pre-orders up as well. You can tell Relapse is banking on this, the "limited edition" splatter vinyl because there's only 163/900 left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eS2zbtUFzU

It's pretty good actually, the black metal parts are good, the folk parts are good, the singing over top of the black metal is good. It's weird though, kind of discordant, like they mashed together 2 separate songs together - maybe they did? I like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
are dumb people still bitching about myrkur because she's more style than substance as if that doesn't describe every black metal act ever

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Nordick posted:

Can we post poo poo-tier garbage power metal instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM_p2vEg72k

this rules too

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Zodijackylite posted:

Hey, could you guys post less stuff that you know sucks and more killer black/speed/thrash from South America?

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVcWy6n6VmI

Thanks in advance.

Sure

https://caligarirecords.bandcamp.com/album/midnight-forces

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Muppets On PCP posted:

are dumb people still bitching about myrkur because she's more style than substance as if that doesn't describe every black metal act ever

It's hilarious because her image was always just nicely atmosphere and folky? Some of her music was a little boring but come on.

I also love the whole "she's friends with Ulver dude and her music sounds just like old Ulver". Uh, awesome. That's a great thing!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Muppets On PCP posted:

one time i listened to a myrkur song and there was maybe one riff, and it wasn't a very good one

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Ulver is like mastodon to me in that I'll never bother listening to another album by them again.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Also, as of the latest album Ulver sounds like a poor Depeche Mode imitation :stare:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tias posted:

Also, as of the latest album Ulver sounds like a poor Depeche Mode imitation :stare:

they're an interesting band because they started off making not very good black metal, and then they switched to making not very good electronic music instead.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lyckantropen Themes is by far my favorite Ulver release. It's a beautiful piece of music that not a lot of people have known about when I mention it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

This new Arckanum song sounds pretty good, better than the stuff on his last album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtkVYgkJE_A

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
People who enjoy cheesy orchestrated "folk" metal like Turisas, Ensiferum et al, be aware that Crimfall have released a single from their upcoming new album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jwk5stO0oU

I guess it's pretty good since I'm listening to it for the fifth time in a row just now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

How is Testament still putting out crushing albums despite all the band members being ancient? I swear they sound like a bunch of 20 year olds on Brotherhood of the Snake.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Vargatron posted:

How is Testament still putting out crushing albums despite all the band members being ancient? I swear they sound like a bunch of 20 year olds on Brotherhood of the Snake.

repost in order: they are also destroying live nowadays too

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Vargatron posted:

When you have Gene Hoglan and Steve DiGiorgio as your Rhythm Section, it's hard to gently caress up an album.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

To Battle posted:

When you have Gene Hoglan and Steve DiGiorgio as your Rhythm Section, it's hard to gently caress up an album.

Alex Skolnick is no slouch either. Hoglan's hilarious because when you look at him you'd never think that he's one of the best, most consistent, and fastest drummers in the world.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
If you're not an absolutely huge band and you've made it that long, you have to be doing something right.

Same with Overkill

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The solos on New World Order and Practice What You Preach are some of the best in thrash.

Sorry I'm on a big Testament kick and Perilous Nation just came up in my mix and that intro bass riff slays me every time.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I was lucky enough to stumble over both Testament and Overkill at the very beginning of my metalhead life (first year of high school, 1988, out in the boondocks in Norway -- no real metal scene, nothing got any radio play, which bands you discovered really depended on what tapes with cool-looking covers the local shops randomly happened to have). Good times.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Testament are the blandest thrash metal band formed in the 80s

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
yah I rather listen to... Sacred Reich or something

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

To Battle posted:

I did not know this about Testament and just got ten times as hard about seeing them at BOA this year

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Testament is so energetic on their latest album because it's a life-or-death warning to everyone about the reptile overlords, duh!

First Strike Still Deadly is one of my favorite thrash albums. It's too bad Testament consistently sounds so lovely live.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Weaponized Cum posted:

yah I rather listen to... Sacred Reich or something

They might be a little better than Sacred Reich, if only because they never wrote a funk metal song about how you should check out a variety of music

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I listened to The Legacy back when I first got into metal and even then thought it was an incredibly lame Metallica knock-off. Since then I've just assumed their fans are all old guys who never discovered Darkness Descends or Infernal Overkill or whatever.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hey I'm not saying they're anything but Metallica worship, but the songs are well written and it's nice to hear something different than the Kirk Hammett wah pedal E minor pentatonic solo.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The first two Testament albums are pretty good and then they just sort of flatline in a mess of really boring songs. I haven't heard anything post-The Gathering so their newer albums might be better.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Alone in the Dark is probably my favorite Testament song because it doesn't really sound like a normal Testament song.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm really partial to Practice What you Preach, but I think it's because I like the bass tone so much.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol its like clockwork. say a few nice things about a band and then all the lemmings come through "actually, this band is bad." loving metal fans.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Demon Of The Fall posted:

lol its like clockwork. say a few nice things about a band and then all the lemmings come through "actually, this band is bad." loving metal fans.

How dare we express a differing opinion about a metal band in this, the metal discussion thread

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

How dare we express a differing opinion about a metal band in this, the metal discussion thread

Well when the bulk of opinions that get posted are ragging on something, it earns the reputation it receives.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

A human heart posted:

This new Arckanum song sounds pretty good, better than the stuff on his last album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtkVYgkJE_A

I dunno, I really liked Fenris Kindir, combined with the artwork as a package it was awesome, the best album he's ever released. Dirty black metal riffs, rolling bass, signature monotone drums, an almost claustrophobic production, frightening atmosphere - the subtle wolf howling in Fenris Gangr, the grinding, crunching, cave dripping in the instrumentals like the intro or Vargøld. All tempered with butt-rock riffs and beats. I listen to that album and I can SEE and FEEL this filthy ravaging monster coming for me. But then I listen to this song and it just kind of...seems bland, lifeless...in comparison.

I mean listen to this fuckin album:

The atmosphere on Vargøld is second to none, I get full body chills listening to this every time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On_VZP7xEqo

The intro sets the stage well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWsD7hsTbBA

But then it's tempered with butt-rock black metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcfRkmWgrDA

Nordick posted:

People who enjoy cheesy orchestrated "folk" metal like Turisas, Ensiferum et al, be aware that Crimfall have released a single from their upcoming new album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jwk5stO0oU

I guess it's pretty good since I'm listening to it for the fifth time in a row just now.

I had no idea they were still making music. As the Path Unfolds was a great album, but Writ of the Sword felt kind of lacking in some way - it had all the elements that made As the Path... good but somehow managed to make it boring. This on the other hand is fantastic - the 6 year break obviously did them good! The riffs, the chanting, the melodies, the folk interludes - everything I love in one package. The orchestral parts are almost borderline too-cheesy in that Luca Turilli kind of way but not quite enough to make me feel embarrassed listening to it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's okay, it's not offending me if you don't like a band that I like. I get the criticism for Testament but they've got a sound I really enjoy.

I also love DragonForce even though they're lame as poo poo. It's not the first time my musical taste has been called into question and it sure as gently caress won't be the last.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vargatron posted:

It's okay, it's not offending me if you don't like a band that I like. I get the criticism for Testament but they've got a sound I really enjoy.

I also love DragonForce even though they're lame as poo poo. It's not the first time my musical taste has been called into question and it sure as gently caress won't be the last.

Dragonforce is playing a little club next month near me and part of me really wants to go out of sheer kitschy guitar geekiness.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Herman Li is fun to watch but other than that, yikes

I saw them in ~2006 when ZP was still with them and it was fun, though that was when TTFaF was new and blew my teenage mind

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Spanish Manlove posted:

Dragonforce is playing a little club next month near me and part of me really wants to go out of sheer kitschy guitar geekiness.

my son wanted to go, so i'm taking him to see dragonforce next friday. i don't think i've ever heard a single song from them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

my son wanted to go, so i'm taking him to see dragonforce next friday. i don't think i've ever heard a single song from them.

You likely heard through the fire and the flames at least once somewhere. I likely won't go but there's still that Jiminy Cricket sized ironic urge to go.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

I saw them open for Kamelot a while back. They were fun, their keyboardist had a separate keytar so he could run around and solo with the rest of the band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Dimebags Brain posted:

I saw them open for Kamelot a while back. They were fun, their keyboardist had a separate keytar so he could run around and solo with the rest of the band.

Speaking of which I was listening to The Black Halo like a week ago in the car, holy poo poo what a great album.