Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fenrir posted:

It's me. I'm the one guy whose favorite Darkthrone album is still Soulside Journey.

I think Soulside Journey is criminally under appreciated. I wouldn't call it my favorite, but before I got into their early 90's trilogy, Soulside was pretty much the only Darkthrone album I liked.

Arctic Thunder loving ruled though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Does anyone have an idea of what to expect from a Nader Sadek live show? I'm probably seeing them open for Inquisition tonight and I can't even find info on who is currently in the band (there are like 20 active members on M-A but I'm assuming like 3-5 play a show). I know none of the people from In the Flesh are still involved.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Anyone heard/cares about the new Polkadot Cadaver album, Get Possessed? I loved their older stuff but after giving this one a listen, I just get nothing, completely forgettable. Any opinions? Should I give it another spin or is it in fact poo poo?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Capilarean posted:

Anyone heard/cares about the new Polkadot Cadaver album, Get Possessed? I loved their older stuff but after giving this one a listen, I just get nothing, completely forgettable. Any opinions? Should I give it another spin or is it in fact poo poo?

I don't think group consensus should influence your opinion of an album. Give it a second go and if it still doesn't click then it's just not for you.

I love me some Steven Wilson but his newest album was so boring I shut it off like 4 songs in. I doubt my opinion would have been different if I'd read a bunch of reviews, although I might have at least know ahead of time it was going to be painfully loving dull.

*insert joke about Steven Wilson here*

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

joylessdivision posted:

I don't think group consensus should influence your opinion of an album. Give it a second go and if it still doesn't click then it's just not for you.

I love me some Steven Wilson but his newest album was so boring I shut it off like 4 songs in. I doubt my opinion would have been different if I'd read a bunch of reviews, although I might have at least know ahead of time it was going to be painfully loving dull.

*insert joke about Steven Wilson here*

After how good the last 4 Porcupine Tree records were, everything since has been such a disappointment.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Fenrir posted:

After how good the last 4 Porcupine Tree records were, everything since has been such a disappointment.

The Incident never quite clicked for me but Stupid Dream > Lightbulb Sun > In Absentia > Deadwing > Fear Of A Blank Planet is such an insane run, literally a nigh flawless record every 2-3 years. He'll never quite reach it again I think (although Hand Cannot Erase was really good)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I actually thought his new album was a return to form. I get that his solo stuff after PT was very musically clever, but not much of it really clicked with me.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

tote up a bags posted:

The Incident never quite clicked for me but Stupid Dream > Lightbulb Sun > In Absentia > Deadwing > Fear Of A Blank Planet is such an insane run, literally a nigh flawless record every 2-3 years. He'll never quite reach it again I think (although Hand Cannot Erase was really good)

I hear that a lot, and it's odd to me. The Incident took a few listens but I think it has become my favorite PT record ever.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fenrir posted:

I hear that a lot, and it's odd to me. The Incident took a few listens but I think it has become my favorite PT record ever.

I don't think The Incident clicked for me until like...this past year, and now it's one of my goto albums.

I really liked "Grace for Drowning" but haven't delved too much into the solo stuff other than the newest one.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just found out Diablo Swing Orchestra released a new album on Friday. Listening to it on Spotify now, and so far am not disappointed in the least. This poo poo is so much fun. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tWgttKhQyY

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Fenrir posted:

The Raven...was one of the best things he's ever done, and I think all of his solo stuff has been at least decent - and all better than The Incident. In Absentia is my favourite thing he's done though (unless you count the King Crimson remasters).

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Nordick posted:

Just found out Diablo Swing Orchestra released a new album on Friday. Listening to it on Spotify now, and so far am not disappointed in the least. This poo poo is so much fun. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tWgttKhQyY

I really love their first album but never got into the two after that. Hope this will be good, they're such a fun band.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
if Final Breath were more than a one hit wonder metal band, that would be great, but I guess that is not to be. Every song sounds like "Eyes of Horror" but at different speeds or with slightly different tuning

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

TeamJesus posted:

That was me. Their past 3 albums are all pretty good I think.

Well in that case I'll thank you for posting Temple of Void, too, this album is really heavy and awesome.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Their first album is loving great too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wu3XqpWCrQ

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010
For a few years now i've been struggling to find this one song I heard when I was in my teens, but I could only remember that the song title may or may not begin with "star" and the album cover was blue. Every few months i'd have a big trawl through Spotify related artists but never came close.
Today, I found it!

Starchild, by Wintersun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxc5Y2LbxbI
I haven't been very into metal for a few years now, it's a little cheesy but something about it just rules.

I also rediscovered what I would say is my favourite bit of metal ever, Steel Attack's Diablolic Symphony.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceDa9XTavVc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FceoiWw8c6k

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Dude Sweet posted:

For a few years now i've been struggling to find this one song I heard when I was in my teens, but I could only remember that the song title may or may not begin with "star" and the album cover was blue. Every few months i'd have a big trawl through Spotify related artists but never came close.
Today, I found it!

Starchild, by Wintersun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxc5Y2LbxbI
I haven't been very into metal for a few years now, it's a little cheesy but something about it just rules.

That whole album by Wintersun is great. The followups took years to make and have for the most part been quite bloated and lost the allure of the self titled. Still, the first one doesn't have a bad track on it.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Warrel Dane is dead :smith:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/nevermore-and-sanctuary-singer-warrel-dane-dies-of-heart-attack-in-brazil/

Nevermore now joins the great band graveyard in the sky

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

gently caress. :smith:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

What the gently caress

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

WHAT THE gently caress

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
well poo poo

e: at least we're getting a second GSO album soon

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dude Sweet posted:

I also rediscovered what I would say is my favourite bit of metal ever, Steel Attack's Diablolic Symphony.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceDa9XTavVc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FceoiWw8c6k

Their first two albums, Where Mankind Fails and Fall Into Madness, are two criminally under looked gems of the late 90s/early 00s power metal scene.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3gnCCsKg5HI
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Z001xSxto2Y

Where Mankind Fails is one of my all time favorite power metal albums.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
That really suck, Nevermore were loving great

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

WHAT

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Was holding out for a Nevermore reunion. Sad day.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
This one sucks. Nevermore were the band that got me into more extreme forms of metal and branched out my musical tastes. Warrel's lyrics, while cheesy sometimes(what metal lyrics aren't), were really on the mark and like nobody elses I've read. Dude could lyric the gently caress out of a song.

I was actually pretty active on the Nevermore forums from like 03-06 and even chatted with Warrel on the forum IRC channel a few times w/ forum regulars. He was a really down to earth dude with a wicked sense of humor.

I know he struggled with alcoholism quite a bit and developed severe diabetes the last 10 years or so but I assumed that he mostly had those issues under control. Maybe it just caught up to him.

I haven't really listened to them in quite a while and grown out of them somewhat but they'll always be one of my benchmark bands. Definitely gonna blast their discography soon.

A loving legend.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Chromatic posted:

This one sucks. Nevermore were the band that got me into more extreme forms of metal and branched out my musical tastes. Warrel's lyrics, while cheesy sometimes(what metal lyrics aren't), were really on the mark and like nobody elses I've read. Dude could lyric the gently caress out of a song.

I was actually pretty active on the Nevermore forums from like 03-06 and even chatted with Warrel on the forum IRC channel a few times w/ forum regulars. He was a really down to earth dude with a wicked sense of humor.

I know he struggled with alcoholism quite a bit and developed severe diabetes the last 10 years or so but I assumed that he mostly had those issues under control. Maybe it just caught up to him.

I haven't really listened to them in quite a while and grown out of them somewhat but they'll always be one of my benchmark bands. Definitely gonna blast their discography soon.

A loving legend.

He's the first rock guy i met backstage etc etc. Super cool and personable guy.

The 2nd guy i met was Dio

I think i may have the cursed touch

And this crushes me obviously. Nevermore is a hugely influential band to me and I loved all of their work.

At least unlike Savatage, I got to see them multiple times.

Looks like my autographed old school tour poster is going to get framed now (mercyful fate/nevermore/ overkill tour shut up im an old)

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
poo poo, this is the same day Chuck died. Already listening to This Godless Endeavor so I guess Symbolic is next.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

this loving sucks. ugh.

at least it's a reminder that this godless endeavor is an extremely good album and i need to listen to it

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

henpod posted:

That whole album by Wintersun is great. The followups took years to make and have for the most part been quite bloated and lost the allure of the self titled. Still, the first one doesn't have a bad track on it.

Yup. Beautiful Death is especially worth the listen. Holy poo poo, that song is incredible.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Ah man, this is a bummer. In spite of everything they put out some pretty great poo poo in their day. Dead Heart in a Dead World was one of the first metal albums I ever bought.

Nevermore to feel the pain / The heart collector sang / And I won't be feeling hollow for so long :rip:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

murked by dragon posted:

this loving sucks. ugh.

at least it's a reminder that this godless endeavor is an extremely good album and i need to listen to it

I just blasted TGE in the car on the way home, still fuckin owns.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’ve been going through Nevermore’s discography most of the day since I heard the news and gently caress, they had some stuff that really crushed. Warrell definitely had one of the most distinctive lead vocals in all of metal.

Them and early Iced Earth really exploded my musical knowledge in the late 90s to more extreme types of metal. They’ll always be one of my favorites.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I actually went from Iced Earth to Nevermore. Once I was into Nevermore, I couldn't listen to Iced Earth anymore. Schaffer can't hold a candle to Loomis.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

:(

Warrel had a cool voice and tasteful vibrato.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Nevermore was loving great. Dane had a delivery that made me think he was a lunatic and it ruled. I regret never having seen them live.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Sounds like Nevermore were a gateway band for a lot of people, I was exactly the same but with Dreaming Neon Black. Not as good as This Godless Endeavour (which is a loving outstanding album) but i've still got a soft spot for it.

Nevermore are a good band to get normies into metal with by the way, my girlfriend didn't like anything heavier than Nightwish when we started going out, I introduced her to Nevermore and now she goes with me to see bands like Wolves in the Throne Room. The system works!

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I vividly remember buying Dreaming Neon Black blind and then having my face kicked in by the opening riff in Beyond Within. Heaviest poo poo I had ever heard. I started playing a 7 string like 6 months after This Godless Endeavor came out because god drat.

That run of albums from Politics to Godless was pretty unfuckwithable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
I started to think back and I realized Nevermore was also my gateway band into all kinds of different music.

Chromatic posted:

I actually went from Iced Earth to Nevermore. Once I was into Nevermore, I couldn't listen to Iced Earth anymore. Schaffer can't hold a candle to Loomis.

Exactly like this. I think it went like hard rock -> Metallica -> Iced Earth -> Nevermore. And the floodgates opened after that. "This Godless Endeavor" was probably the thing that blew my mind the most, and although I haven't listened to it in years now, I can still remember the goosebumps I got from the solos in that album and especially the title track with the line "welcome to the end my friend, the sky has opened" that ends the song. Just fantastic heavy stuff. R.I.P.