Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Angist is amazing.
Holy poo poo, you guys, Angist is brutal as gently caress, I've been sitting here going through the songs they've got up on YouTube and goddrat.

Totally agree. I'd never heard of 'em until now, but that first track posted was absolutely killer. Cerebral Bore, while a little more "slam," are catchy as gently caress. Scottish brutal death metal band fronted by an (at the time of this video) 18-year-old from the Netherlands they discovered on Youtube.

And of course there's Darkestrah and Arkona, but those are brought up every time "women in metal" is mentioned.

There's also Tard, whom I believe Necro-tron recommended to me years ago. Pretty good female-fronted grind with one of the best parody album titles I've ever seen - Disgorging Guttural Regurgitations of Dismembered Disembowelment and Effluvious Visceral Entrail Secretions With a Side of Emaciated Malignant Lymphatic Putrescence, a Glass of Ensanguined Malodorous Discharge to Drink, and Coagulated Pustular Rectal Seepage for Dessert (With a Cherry on Top)

edit for badass black metal: Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Huh, I didn't even know Arkona was female fronted.

I love Darkestrah though. Didn't know it was female fronted at first either. False registry vocals don't really give gender away.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Huntress are bad, but that review is embarrassing. Ugh.

Oh yeah, since we're talking about women in bands let's listen to Bolt Thrower for Bolt Thrower's sake because we can all agree on Bolt Thrower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL19beIJSE0

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Hey guys, you've heard that Finland is the promised land of Heavy Metal, right?

It's true, I have proof right here! Check out these trve-as-fvck hardcore motherfuckers: http://youtu.be/-4i-NRfg77o

Now excuse me for a while, I'll be at the ER to get this ruptured pancreas I got from laughing too hard treated.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Nordick posted:

It's true, I have proof right here! Check out these trve-as-fvck hardcore motherfuckers: http://youtu.be/-4i-NRfg77o

Now excuse me for a while, I'll be at the ER to get this ruptured pancreas I got from laughing too hard treated.

holy poo poo, this is the daddest band.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Nordick posted:

Dude on the keyboard hahaha holy poo poo!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Not Very Metal posted:

No no you don't understand, they're totally like really rebel and poo poo! You can tell by that one dude's Che Guevara shirt!

EDIT: I also find it hilarious that only about 1600 views in and they've already disabled commenting on the video.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Nordick posted:

EDIT: I also find it hilarious that only about 1600 views in and they've already disabled commenting on the video.

there's a lot to be discerned by this fact alone, for any band really.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

IRQ posted:

Huh, I didn't even know Arkona was female fronted.

I love Darkestrah though. Didn't know it was female fronted at first either. False registry vocals don't really give gender away.

Yeah, took me a bit to figure out that Arkona's lead singer was female too. Mostly because she actually does harsh vocals.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Defleshed posted:

:stare: this owns, also band name is the best!
Yeah, they are pretty great. I always think Japan has some of the best grindcore around, along with South America.

Defleshed posted:

Sorry I got all mad bros; just hate meatheads furthering the stereotype of the metal-listener and thought that was what was happening. I did not understand the subtle nuance of reasons for laughing at the ignorant bullshit in the posted review.

I don't blame you. As Morbid Florest said, metal is the professional wrestling of music (I will use this description for the rest of my life), and the section of abhorrent fans comes with it. I would say in recent years metal as a whole has done a good job at pushing back at a lot of the stereotypes that are somehow beholden to a lot of the general public.

:siren: SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION TIME :siren:

I've noticed a lot of metal-related sites have a good number of guys that match the above reviewer, but I would like to say that the webzine I help run, Metal Blast, tries to do away with a lot of those stereotypes. We actually take a lot of pride in what we do and aim to give a much more respectful take on metal albums than say Global Domination or Metal Archives does.

We are also looking for more writers, so if you are interested then please send me an e-mail at jonburkan [AT] metalblast.net.

Nordick posted:

Holy poo poo hahahahhaha. My favorite aspect of that video is look how small they are compared to the room they are supposed to be in. That and the keyboardist's fingers are so fast that they can put out fire.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 11, 2012

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Turk February posted:

Holy poo poo hahahahhaha. My favorite aspect of that video is look how small they are compared to the room they are supposed to be in. That and the keyboardist's fingers are so fast that they can put out fire.

My favorite is how at no point does a single sign of emotion appear on the vocalist's face.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Frank Caskelot posted:

My favorite is how at no point does a single sign of emotion appear on the vocalist's face.

Isn't he Finnish? We're great at doing exactly that.

Reminds me of this:

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 12, 2012

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 22, 2016

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

Not Very Metal posted:

I always thought it was Crom, but now I'm not so sure.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 22, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Welp, I just watched the official video for Storm Corrosion's "Drag Ropes" and I dunno if it's a combination of being tired and having had a tough week, but I got more than a little depressed by it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=manW5v-AR7U

This is infiently better than Heritage, holy poo poo. It's like an extension of the Damnation soft stuff. As much as I rant and rave that that was the beginning of the end of the Opeth I loved, it's miles better than anything they put out after (Ghost Reveries).

I got loving CHILLS listening to that... what the hell??

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Nordick posted:

I like that they were considerate enough to write an apology into the end of the video.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Chthonic, Boris, Sigh.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Welp, I just watched the official video for Storm Corrosion's "Drag Ropes" and I dunno if it's a combination of being tired and having had a tough week, but I got more than a little depressed by it.

Like Vintersorg, I got chills from that. I felt like I was having a headrush when the giant hand appeared.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pro-watch quotin'. I didn't get chills like some people did but I really love the aesthetic.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Drifter287 posted:

The new Allegaeon on the other hand, is loving fantastic all the way through. It's like the members of Soilwork were cryogenically frozen after Chainheart Machine, thawed in time to hear Enemies of Reality, and then immediately set loose in the studio.

Goddamn, this is the good poo poo right here.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Don't even think about watching/listening to this song without headphones. I did at first and was like "meh," but then I tried again with headphones and it's a near religious experience. Steven Wilson's vocals, when they come in, are haunting as hell.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Vintersorg posted:

It's like an extension of the Damnation soft stuff.
I think that Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt were probably listening to a lot of Morte Macabre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUR6G7qSbEQ

MrSlug
Nov 23, 2004
New Lamb of God / Gojira / Dethklok Tour Dates :allears:

quote:

08/01 Seattle, WA – WaMu Thater
08/02 Vancouver, BC – Queen Elizabeth Theater
08/04 Calgary, AB – Big 4
08/05 Edmonton, AB – Shaw Conference Centre
08/07 Winnipeg, MB – Convention Centre
08/09 Milwaukee, WI – Eagles Ballroom
08/10 Columbus, OH – LC Pavilion
08/11 Toronto, ON – Heavy TO
08/12 Montreal, QC – Heavy MTL
08/14 Grand Rapids, MI – Delta Plex
08/15 St. Louis, MO – Family Arena
08/19 Kansas City, MO – Midland Theater
08/21 Chicago, IL – Congress Ballroom
08/22 Detroit, MI – Compuware Arena
08/23 Pittsburgh, PA – Stage AE
08/24 Charlotte, NC – Time Warner Cable Uptown Amphitheater
08/25 Norfolk, VA – Constant Convocation Center
08/26 Baltimore, MD – Pier 6 Pavilion
08/29 New York, NY – Roseland Ballroom
08/30 Lowell, MA – Tsongas Arena
08/31 Wallingford, CT – Toyota Presents Oakdale Theater
09/01 Philadelphia, PA – Outside at the Electric Factory
09/02 Asbury Park, NJ – Asbury Park Convention Hall
09/04 Orlando, FL – Hard Rock Live
09/05 Atlanta, GA – Tabernacle
09/07 Houston, TX – Bayou Music Center
09/08 San Antonio, TX – Sunken Garden
09/09 Dallas, TX – Verizon Wireless Theater
09/11 Denver, CO – The Fillmore
09/13 Phoenix, AZ – Comerica Theater
09/14 Los Angeles, CA – Gibson Amphitheater
09/15 San Francisco, CA – Bill Graham Civic

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The bro'est tour, staying far away from that.

MrSlug
Nov 23, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

The bro'est tour, staying far away from that.

No need to fear the bros. Just pretend they are Gojira dates.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Rabid Koala posted:

Don't even think about watching/listening to this song without headphones. I did at first and was like "meh," but then I tried again with headphones and it's a near religious experience. Steven Wilson's vocals, when they come in, are haunting as hell.

His vocals in the title track are amazing too; unfortunately I didn't care as much for the latter half of the song.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

MrSlug posted:

New Lamb of God / Gojira / Dethklok Tour Dates :allears:

Is anyone else annoyed by the statement "I don't even like metal, but Metalocalypse is hilarious!" I don't care if non-metalheads enjoy the show, that's great, but don't act like you're too good for the music. Besides, if you're not into metal, you're not even going to get 90% of the references.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Is anyone else annoyed by the statement "I don't even like metal, but Metalocalypse is hilarious!" I don't care if non-metalheads enjoy the show, that's great, but don't act like you're too good for the music. Besides, if you're not into metal, you're not even going to get 90% of the references.

I'm more annoyed that Dethklok is an actual thing outside the tv show and that people think it's good music.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Didn't really think I'd dig this too much but after giving it a couple listens it's a really cool song. That video is pretty amazing as well

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

I'm more annoyed that Dethklok is an actual thing outside the tv show and that people think it's good music.

Overall it's pretty standard, but Thunderhorse and Go Into The Water are loving great songs.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
no way. Murmaider kills.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

It's dumb, fun music to drive to. Get over it. Worse than the 'Metal sucks but Metalocalypse is ok I guess' thing is the metal elitism thing.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

I really like Huntress. They sent me a free t-shirt. I've been bouncing back and forth between that album and the new D. Which is also fantastic.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:

IRQ posted:

Wait'll you see a whole room of their fans. Ho-buddy.

Stoo
Dec 29, 2004
SHART MY JORTS

420 shart jorts everyday

Vintersorg posted:

:pwn:

Holy poo poo. This is from another one of his. There is no goonsay big enough.

quote:

By the time "Warmachines At War" comes lolling around, I just want to punch pregnant mothers in the stomach, in fear of them giving birth to more people like Faggotry. The song in question, which I prefer to call "Lolmachines at lol" is so ridiculously bad that I couldn't even laugh at it when I first heard it. It was beyond bad, like someone had just taken a can of compressed AIDS and tossed it in my face without warning. The song starts out with the most annoying riff ever written (think SFU and AC/DC and lots and lots of AIDS... throw in some images of dead puppies if unsure)

:goonsay:

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
Any goons going to Infernal Damnation in London next Saturday? Seven great black metal bands for £17. Anyone that fancies going let me know - I'll be hanging out with one or two of the bands for a drink.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

IRQ posted:

Yeah I liked the songs in the context of the TV show but I tried listening to an album and got bored. Definitely dig the show though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Stoo posted:

Holy poo poo. This is from another one of his. There is no goonsay big enough.

:goonsay:

It seems like you see this poo poo from metal reviewers more than any other genre. It's not enough to say you didn't like something and explain why you didn't like it for these assholes. They have to throw in "human being" this and "oval office" that and sprinkle it liberally with AIDS jokes and assorted misogyny and homophobia, generally the kind of childish poo poo you'd expect to hear from a 12-year-old on XBox Live, not a twenty-something-year-old music reviewer.

I guess the idiot meatheads are just part of the whole metal package. :sigh: