Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Vektor is an awesome progressive thrash bands with inspiration from Watchtower, Razor (vocals-wise) and Voivod (just look at that logo...). The song I've linked is off Black Future, their 2nd full length album released in 2009. Their more recent (2011) album Outer Isolation is also very good.

Nux Vomica is also an interesting band, making music reminiscent of crust/grindcore but with long songs with lots of twists, turns and tempo changes. This flexibility makes for a pretty refreshing combination, if you ask me. The song that's linked is called Where Minds Can't Grow and is off their 2009 album Asleep in Ashes.

I wanted to mention Fall of Efrafa here, too. They might lean more towards the hardcore end of the spectrum, but with their post-rock and metal influences I think they fit in here as well. Their lyrics (like their name) are inspired by the novel Watership Down, which results in some unexpected imagery. Musically, if you like stuff like Cult of Luna, Neurosis, Amenra, I think you will probably like Fall of Efrafa.

super size soft serve fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Finland have some of the heaviest metal bands in the world. I mean, just look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6sHd7JRHCM

I am actually mad that they made dinosaur metal before I could.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Finland what the gently caress.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yellowgoat is quickly becoming my most anticipated album of 2012.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

NoiseNoiseNoise posted:

Finland have some of the heaviest metal bands in the world. I mean, just look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6sHd7JRHCM

I am actually mad that they made dinosaur metal before I could.

Finland, never ever change. :allears:

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
New info from Bill Ward about the Sabbath reunion problems.

http://www.billward.com/2012/05/statement-on-upcoming-black-sabbath-shows/#more-1428

Notable parts I copied here:

quote:

"I’d been offered no more than three songs to play while another drummer presumably played the rest of the show with Black Sabbath. I was not willing to participate in that offer. I was not prepared to watch another drummer play a Sabbath set, while I was to play only three songs."

quote:

"The offer we received on May 9th was, “come to the UK, play for free and see how the first show goes.” "

quote:

"Playing for free would not have been a problem for me, but “seeing how the first show goes” left an element of risk which could have affected Download. I can’t do that. All of you are important. It’s all the gigs or none at all. "

He also footed the bill for his own practice space and accommodation but it didn't help. I don't know why people are out to shaft Bill Ward but it isn't cool! I cant imagine what the real problem is. Sounds like he will even play for free as long as he is in every show, all songs. and they cant agree to that?

Madox fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 15, 2012

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Madox posted:

I cant imagine what the real problem is.

The part that truly pisses me off about all this is all the "hey it ain't me brah" shrugs everyone is doing. I find it absolutely impossible to believe that all three of the other members are so enslaved to their management that they can't tell them to make Bill happen. It seems really loving clear someone doesn't want him there and the other two lack the balls to stand up for him.

Who it could be I don't know. Iommi's book made it sound like Bill was the guy nobody could hate. I've only ever heard that Bill was Ozzy's only real friend in the band, pre and post firing. (Sharon is a different story and is still my suspect)

Whatever it is I have to say I'm losing respect for the three of them for not making this happen. Blaming management is a cop out. At the very least they should stand up and say if bill isn't there, they aren't either.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Man Posting posted:

In YOSPOS we are using this site to share music (called turntable.fm).

So I thought the metal thread could come kick it and share their music. Just go to the Something Awful Metal room and sign in with twitter or facebook (it takes less time to make a throwaway twitter than it takes for you to bitch about it), queue up some lovely music, and get a live coder-jukebox.

Lurkers and neckbeards welcome, but try not to get butthurt if your 'totally hilarious ska parody song' gets skipped.

We're in now if anyone wants to join up. :getin:

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

New Nachtmystium EP came out today. The new track "As Made" is a sort of tribute to Ministry, I haven't heard the other one.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

Dead Man Posting posted:

We're in now if anyone wants to join up. :getin:

I'm in there right now... I've been on this site for nearly a year. I think I might have the earliest membership out of all the metal room regulars O.o;

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hawaii_Lame-O posted:

I'm in there right now... I've been on this site for nearly a year. I think I might have the earliest membership out of all the metal room regulars O.o;

Join up again

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

lordblytzkrieg posted:

New Nachtmystium EP came out today. The new track "As Made" is a sort of tribute to Ministry, I haven't heard the other one.

I'm still mad at those guys because I was e-mailing back and forth with Blake Judd and he said he'd sell me some CDs so I PayPal'd him money and he never sent me CDs and now won't return my e-mails. That butthole :colbert:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

QPZIL posted:

I'm still mad at those guys because I was e-mailing back and forth with Blake Judd and he said he'd sell me some CDs so I PayPal'd him money and he never sent me CDs and now won't return my e-mails. That butthole :colbert:

It was all used on drugs duh.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I've basically come to terms with this.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
New Gospel of the Horns track

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

I love it when I find new bands from browsing Youtube. Anybody know anything else like this on a whim's notice? I don't like anything too technical though, i.g. Watchtower's second album. If only I could find that giant recommendation post Gr1lly posted in the last thread.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Oh man the other track on that new Nachtmystium is a cover of my favourite Joy Division tune :woop:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Thanks for sharing. So confused with these guys, haven't they split up 2 or 3 times? So gutted I'm missing that show in London with D666. Which album should I start with by GotH?

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

ThePutty posted:

I love it when I find new bands from browsing Youtube.

This is a pretty good find! As far as recommendations, the only thing that really comes to mind (and sounds pretty close) is Toxik. But I guess they're a big enough name that you already know them. Perhaps Xentrix and Midas Touch might fit the bill? Or Vektor, which I posted at the top of this page.

super size soft serve fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 16, 2012

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

BjornOfBorg posted:

This is a pretty good find! As far as recommendations, the only thing that really comes to mind (and sounds pretty close) is Toxik. But I guess they're a big enough name that you already know them. Perhaps Xentrix and Midas Touch might fit the bill? Or Vektor, which I posted at the top of this page.

I've got most of the bigger names, including Vektor, but I'll check those other two out. Thanks!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

I've basically come to terms with this.

I've come to terms that Nachtmystium now does Ministry BETTER than Ministry.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

http://stereogum.com/397342/nachtmystium-every-last-drop-stereogum-premiere/franchises/haunting-the-chapel/

Yeah look at these dudes they took your paypal loot and bought some fine fine green

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Defleshed posted:

http://stereogum.com/397342/nachtmystium-every-last-drop-stereogum-premiere/franchises/haunting-the-chapel/

Yeah look at these dudes they took your paypal loot and bought some fine fine green

I don't think "green" is the issue at hand here.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

The Clit Avoider posted:

oh hell yeah.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

The Clit Avoider posted:

Woah, this is really good stuff! Where do I start in their back catalog?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Woah, this is really good stuff! Where do I start in their back catalog?

They have 2 albums, so maybe start with them.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
has anyone mentioned Necroblaspheme yet? cause they rule, and i don't consider myself a big Death Metal Guy.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
This is cool, current, Death Metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrbvRzYpu2A

Kinda reminds me of Funebrarum

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

nomapple posted:

Thanks for sharing. So confused with these guys, haven't they split up 2 or 3 times? So gutted I'm missing that show in London with D666. Which album should I start with by GotH?

A Call to Arms. (check the riffs)

And as for splitting... eh, Howitzer is forever claiming it was all misunderstandings, but they've played 2 "last ever" shows.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ne Obliviscaris is INCREDIBLE. I haven't heard an album so good in such a long time. When it goes all Black-Metally\Blastbeaty, endure it. Once you get used to those parts you'll love them. However even so, everything AROUND the harshness is stunning.

In classic Progwank style, most songs are 2 hours+ in duration. Here's one awesome song. The last 2 or 3 minutes of the heavyness are gut-wrenching, but the buildup to it is what makes it freaky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wa4zqBwPVE

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So, um, what's the goon opinion on Sabaton? They have a new album coming this month and the first single rules so loving hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZMY-YXLa38

They're so goddamned cheesy and silly but I can't help but love them. :allears:

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
I like them, they have some catchy riffs and are an awesome band to work out to.

Then again I also like Rhapsody of Fire which is possibly the only band cheesier than Sabaton

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Therion posted:

I like them, they have some catchy riffs and are an awesome band to work out to.

Then again I also like Rhapsody of Fire which is possibly the only band cheesier than Sabaton

Cheesier than Manowar? I don't know about that...

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Scored pit tickets for Lamb of God/Dethklok at the Gibson in LA. Gonna stand in the back, I'm too old for moshing.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Dr Tran posted:

Scored pit tickets for Lamb of God/Dethklok at the Gibson in LA. Gonna stand in the back, I'm too old for moshing.

It's a sad day when a concert-goer realizes that horrible truth.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

QPZIL posted:

Cheesier than Manowar? I don't know about that...

If there are any bands that could manage it, they'd be Sabaton and Rhapsody of Fire. :v:

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

WickedIcon posted:

So, um, what's the goon opinion on Sabaton? They have a new album coming this month and the first single rules so loving hard.
Sabaton definitely has some good songs on every album but this track sounds pretty fillerish to me, honestly. That's not to say the album won't have good songs on it, but the first single is pretty underwhelming

quote:

They're so goddamned cheesy and silly but I can't help but love them. :allears:
Eh, other than the interludes on The Art of War, "cheesy" isn't really how I would describe them.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

s0nar posted:

I clicked lower orchestra trying to buy seats too.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

s0nar posted:

"Let's get there early so we don't have to stand." :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 22, 2016