Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Gr31lly posted:

Fans of power metal should Probably check out the new Satan's Host.

Thanks for this - I really like this.

Can anyone recommend similar stuff? The only other power metal act I ever got into was Iron Maiden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Can anyone going to the Baroness / Meshuggah shows let me know what time Baroness ends their set, or what time the show ended? I'm going to the DC show, but our ridiculous rail system shuts down at midnight on weekdays and I need to decide whether to drive or ride the train.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 1, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I listen to music through MOG and this was the "Similar Artist" radio for Dodecahedron:

:lol::wtc:

Where's the loving Loggins & Messina?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

As another old metalhead, I find myself doing this regularly. Imagine stumbling across a gem like this when all that is being played on the radio or MTV is New Kids on the Block or Janet Jackson.

We had Headbanger's Ball on MTV ;)

I grew up in Atlanta, home to the Georgia Tech radio station and its awesome Wreckage metal show, which has been on as long as I can remember being into metal (mid-80's).

Still, my exposure was fairly limited because I was a little Metallica/Anthrax/Iron Maiden fanboy and rarely went outside the mainstream lines. I would have had my mind blown multiple times had I taken the time to explore a little beyond my narrow confines. It took a bit of effort tracking down obscurer poo poo before the internet.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 16, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I recently moved to DC for school, tell me where the good shows are!

Baltimore.

Just happened to find this: http://dcheavymetal.com/upcoming-concerts/

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

rxcowboy posted:

Skeletonwitch: Another awesome band that isn't discussed nearly enough in this thread. I'm just going to leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpLip1sXuoo

I love everything about this band. The guitars, the drumming, the lyrics. And especially the vocals. It's great to be able to actually understand what in the gently caress the singer is saying for a change.

What other bands have a similar vocal style?

They sound absolutely amazing through a good pair of headphones. You can really distinguish the guitar from the bass from the drumming and lyrics. Especially the bass. It sounds really, really good through headphones. I almost can't listen to them outside of that environment.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Despite the atrocious cover art, Voivod's Target Earth is easily their best album in 20 years. I can now confirm this.

R.I.P. Piggy...

Yeah what is up with their covers? They all look like Illustrator designs from the 90s. Unless it's intentional :confused:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Non Serviam posted:

On the other hand, stuff like Iwrestledabearonce and their hipster/Avantgardecore metal is poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwgMMtgSTVE

Everything in that video still prevents me from even checking it out for the sake of curiosity. Beach balls are loving metal as hell though.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Anyone heard anything about the Opeth tour, as to what they'll be playing? I'm thinking of driving to the Norfolk show, but I'll be damned if I'm driving 3 hours for a bunch of weepy ballads.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

gently caress yeah Ghost in our nation's capital. I'll be there!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Ghost presale is up: http://ghostpresale.com/

Got tickets to the DC show :woop:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Morbid Florist posted:

Of all the retro bands around they're the LEAST psychedelic I can think of...\

Who are the MOST psychedelic?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Skeletonwitch been doing an AMA on Reddit since 7PM ET: link.

Hammer Floyd posted:

And Justice For All was released 25 years ago today.

The Justice for All tour at Lakewood Amphitheater in Atlanta was my first concert - sixth grade. My older sister took me. She was way into metal too and had a long-haired boyfriend in a thrash band.

I wore the tour shirt to school the next day and was the only kid to have one :smug:

me your dad fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 27, 2013

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

It's too bad Skeletonwitch isn't headlining. I was stoked to see the touring stuff on Facebook and then bummed to find out their the first(?) opening band. I'm not familiar with Enslaved and Amon Amarth but I'll watch some stuff on Youtube to see if I think it's worth it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Speaking of radio stations - If you've never basked in the glory that is Wrekage, enjoy: http://www.wrekage.org/

It's a long running, weekly eight hour metal show on the Georgia Tech radio station. They've been on the air forever.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 28, 2014

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Gils posted:

A tour of Mastodon, Gojira, and Kvelertak. That's a nice lineup. And of course it's nowhere near me. More dates to be announced, at least.

I also really liked The Hunt but their other albums didn't really impress. I haven't listened to the new one yet, so fingers crossed at least.

Thanks - tickets purchased for the DC show. Always stoked for a good metal band that shows up in the mid-Atlantic outside of Baltimore.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 9, 2014

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Does anyone know of any kid's Mastodon shirts? My friend's eight year old boy has a birthday coming up and he's into the band, by way of his dad. I checked their site but it doesn't look like they come in kid's sizes.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Misogynist posted:

It turns out that this is true of almost every style of music ever conceived for the span of all human history

Yeah but punk is really dead

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Mastodon just posted this collaboration with Gibby Haynes from the Butthole Surfers for some Adult Swim thing. It's awesome and it makes me sad that Gibby Haynes isn't a permanent member of Mastodon.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Vargatron posted:

First album I got was ...And Justice For All by Metallica. I was so loving obsessed with Metallica when I was in middle and high school and then I switched over to prog rock and Dream Theater. Maybe the second most important album for me was Hate Crew Death Roll by Children of Bodom and that pretty much got me into death metal.

The Justice for All Tour was my first concert. I was in sixth grade and about 12 years old. My older sister (also a metalhead) took me. I came back to school after the weekend wearing my tour shirt and I knew only a couple other kids in school were lucky enough that night to see Jason Newstead spit a lugie on lady justice to make her crumble to the ground :rock:

My first heavy metal album would have been Piece of Mind by Maiden, when I was about 7 years old. I had a friend with an older brother who had a vinyl copy of Piece of Mind and I was sucked in by how cool Eddie looked. I had no idea about music but I knew something must be good about a bad rear end looking dude like that. I got home and begged my mom to buy it for me until she relented. Been an Iron Maiden fan since.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Bruce Kison posted:

My favorite underrated/less popular Maiden song is either Stranger in a Strange Land or Still Life

gently caress I love Stranger in a Strange Land. Also Wasted Years. I don't know if I'd consider either underrated but they're amazing all the same.

I grew up a metalhead in the 80's and all my friends were into metal but only two of my friends were into Maiden like I was. They've been my favorite metal band since Piece of Mind first came out. I can listen to them whenever. I never have to be in a mood to hear them.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Defiant Sally posted:

For any crusty old motherfuckers in here, I was wondering, what was it like to hear poo poo like Master of Puppets and One for the first time in your lives? I feel like hearing that kind of poo poo for the first time back in the 80's when we weren't drowning in metal and when you didn't have the internet to desensitize you would blast your dick clean off.

Grade 12 was the time of Blind Guardian and Ensiferum and poo poo for me. 2005 was a good year but then I started getting into more and more power metal and terrible poo poo like Sonata Arctica post Silence. Now I don't listen to it at all.

I got into Metallica just after Master of Puppets came out and it changed my life forever. I got exposed to that album between elementary school and middle school. I showed up on the first day of sixth grade in a Master of Puppets shirt and as soon as I got on the bus an eighth grader yelled at me to come sit back with him and his friend. From there I met everyone who would be my core group of friends for the next dozen or so years. Metal has influenced my life in so many positive ways for such a long time.

The And Justice for All tour was my first concert and it blew my mind. I went with my oldest sister and her boyfriend. Both were huge metalheads and a big influence on me. Her boyfriend had long hair and played guitar in a metal band and I thought he was the coolest dude in the world. I remember showing up to school after that weekend wearing my new Justice for All tour shirt and everyone was jealous as gently caress. I only knew one other person from my school who got to go to the show so it felt pretty good.

I remember when One came out as a big hit it was obviously the beginning of the end for the band. Kids who just months before scoffed at me for liking Metallica suddenly were singing One and it pissed me off a great deal to see them suddenly become fans because MTV was playing a song. And then you couldn't escape that god damned song. I still can't listen to it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Being old owns. I don't give a poo poo about what young idiots think and I can afford ripoff ticket prices for shows.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Metal Thread #9492849 - I bought a tote bag

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

It's so loving rad to get into a band that's been around forever and having a great history to go through. I somehow managed to make it 30+ years as a metal fan without listening to Celtic Frost. I've known their name since the mid-eighties but never got into them. I'm listening to Morbid Tales today and I'm totally blown away. It sounds unlike anything else during from that time but it's instantly familiar somehow. I'm honestly not sure if I would have even liked it if I heard it when it came out.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 19, 2016

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Start all over with Hellhammer demos. Then, go chronologically thru Celtic Frost's entire catalog. Don't take Cold Lake too seriously. Maybe even sample Tom's experiment in industrial metal, Apollyon Sun. Then use Celtic Frost's epic finale Monotheist as a springboard into his next band, Triptykon. Enjoy!

Thanks! I finished Morbid Tales and now I'm listening to Hellhammer. They went through a drummer change between Hellhammer and Morbid Tales, right? It's very apparent. The guitar tone is still there though. I don't know what it is about their guitar sound but I love it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

New Opeth track streaming:

http://loudwire.com/opeth-title-track-new-album-sorceress/

Lyrics videos are the worst.

At first listen I'm really not liking this. I've liked Mikael's clean singing in previous songs but this is just boring.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Alvarez IV posted:

What's some music that isn't metal but that you can throw in a playlist of mostly metal and have it not stand out? I'm already thinking of is stuff like Nick Cave or Sopor Aeternus or even Geto Boys. Bleak poo poo. I'm not looking for any genres in particular, just non-metal. Serious answers only, no one say "Ghost."

Good old psychedelic stuff like:

Blue Cheer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywIsNOeBJVU

13th Floor Elevators
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OytJYBfwUk

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Snowy posted:

I had tickets to see Maiden on the Powerslave tour but Bruce had a cough or something and they cancelled the show. That's around when I stopped being into them- would i still enjoy them live or is there a ton of new (post-powerslave) poo poo in the setlist?

I pretty much hate huge concerts but I might make an exception for these guys as long as it's not all stuff I don't know.

I think I had tickets to the same tour. Do you remember if Anthrax was opening? I was so psyched to see Maiden and Anthrax. They were two of my favorite bands and we scored great seats only to have to the shows canceled.

Edit - no way it was Powerslave (the show I had tickets for). I looked it up on Wikipedia - February 13, 1991 was the show I was supposed to see. The "No Prayer on the Road" tour.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 23, 2017

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

:nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anh0Kn9nGV4

me your dad fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 24, 2017

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

This is a little weird.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

i just stumbled into a Joe Jackson playlist and had no idea Anthrax's song Got the Time (off State of Euphoria) was a cover of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTIPCc1nKYQ

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Metallica covering When Doves Cry is legit one of the worst things I've ever heard. It sounds like one of those old 'Creed Shreds' videos.

It's so loving bad I just can't even believe they thought this was a good idea.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm looking for something I heard about a week ago. I think it was posted on /r/metal. It was an album released very recently and sounded a little like Deathspell Omega. The video, if I recall correct, was just a bunch of trippy rapid-fire imagery. The song was super dense with black metal style vocals. A lot of layers. I think the band name was just one word.

Sound familiar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

skasion posted:

Might be Blood Incantation, their last two videos have both leaned in that direction

Thanks - the music is similar, but the videos don't match what I saw. It was extremely chaotic imagery, no band members visible playing. I do like this though, so thanks :)