Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

wolfshirts in the dorm room

Great album title right here. Which genre though? Power metal's too easy a pick. Traditional metal, like manowar style is my vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
Metal thread I need help locating a band and album. My brother and I were talking about how we both got into more extreme music and he remembered buying an album like fifteen or twenty years ago that he swears got him into death metal, the CD has long since vanished. He couldn't remember the album title or band name. All he could remember was that the album opened with a sample from the character Tony Twist from Spawn The Animated Series and then either a blast beat or some other fast double bass work. The sample was Tony Twist saying, "You scumbag, douche bag-eating, motherfucking...cock-sucking, poo poo, motherfucking frig! I'll take your loving head and chop it off!" I kind of remember the album cover, I want to say it had a lot pink in the color scheme and I think the band's logo was designed in such a way that it was nearly unreadable. Anyone think they can figure this out because I sure as hell can't.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Rexxed posted:

Divine Empire - Silent Carnage from the '98 Redemption album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5R-CyAj44c

I listened to a lot of old stuff to find this but I knew I'd heard it a bunch of times. Good trip back to the 90's, thanks!

Thank you! That's been driving me nuts!

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

I hope the twist is that Emperor Nefaryus is really the Count of Tuscany, who traveled through time to build an evil space empire out of giving people rides.

Finished that for you.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

That honking bass tone is awful. It sounds like someone molesting a horn or a muppet.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

OpaqueEcho posted:

New Omnium Gatherum track released, if that's your jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubmuUiozKyo

This looks and sounds like a bunch of dads found their kids' Swedish/Melodic Death Metal and made a video to try and relate to them.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Nordick posted:

The best term I've heard to describe the song was "Totocore".

Perfect

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

DEAR RICHARD posted:

No life til leather
We're gonna kick some rear end tonight

First time I heard this I thought it was get some rear end tonight and was convinced for years that Metallica was a band comprised of very angry gay men. Since I was living in an incredibly tiny town at the time the only bit of Metallica history I knew was that the guy from Megadeth got kicked out but didn't know why so I logically assumed that it was because he wasn't angrily gay enough. Like he was just miffed gay while the rest of the band was out for blood gay so he had to go.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh god this is loving sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFAcOnhcpGA

Just kidding, it's a new Metallica song and it's bad.

Knew things were going to go badly when I saw the first flash of Hetfield's Moron Label shirt.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU1uTpaXYyU

i think these guys take the crown for "worst metalcore scene whatever"

I have a primal urge to bully everyone in this video

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
Turn the Purity Seal: A Bob Seger Tribute to Bolt Thrower

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
Shut the hell up about Nazis and post some metal you dorks.

https://youtu.be/FArnO4roA_U

Metal!

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
Are they like a death metal Weird Al, making stylistically similar parody songs or do the songs just have funny titles?

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

Nah the music is just straight up 90s American death metal worship. The weed puns on classic dm song titles thing is just a goofy aesthetic. Slugdge does basically the same thing but with slugs instead of weed and more stylistic variety.

That's a bummer. Someone should become the Weird Al of metal.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
10 Masked Men and Northern Kings are fun but I was thinking more like a band making parody tracks that have both the humorous title and reworked lyrics while imitating the sound of the original song.

Easy examples would be like Bolt Thrower- Contact-Wait Out becomes Weird Al of Metal - Contact: Fell Out or Deicide's Slave to the Cross becomes Slave to the Cross(word) and is now about someone who is addicted to crossword puzzles.

Not knee-slapper examples and would almost certainly be lame I know but I'd love to see that done.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

This sounds like someone spilled an unused track from James LaBrie's last solo album on a death metal track.

I like it.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Most of LaBrie's last album was written by Peter Wichers from Soilwork

Wasn't a criticism

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Vargatron posted:

Personally I don my Tales from Topographic Oceans era Yes T-Shirt like any good prog snob.

Relayer is better and you know it.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

My experience with Morbid Angel begins and ends with Altars of Madness. Where should I go next? What should I avoid?

Just remember when you get to God of Emptiness that's not a bear.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

says the man who’s never listened to Drama

That's not a thing.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

It’s no Tormato, that’s for sure.

Please stop, it hurts and not in the fun Cenobite way. It hurts in the prolonged Trevor Rabin solo way.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
Five Finger Death Punch
Ask Jason Hook if he feels like playing Hillary Duff's band prepared him for playing in the hard rock equivalent of Hillary Duff's band.

Ask the whole band why they keep ruining every song they cover. As an addition ask if they realize their video for House of the Rising Sun is somehow even more embarrassing than the song.

In Flames
Why can't you make another album in the vein of Lunar Strain through Colony?

Will you ever write another song about pinball or some other classic form of entertainment?

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Fenrir posted:

Wait... that was five finger death punch??

Ok, I guess I have heard one of their songs.

Technically you still haven't. Inserting your name into another band's lyrics doesn't make that song yours. What it does is make your band a bunch of hacks.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

A3th3r posted:

Nile is the best metal band I've ever heard of

That's a weird way to spell Bolt Thrower.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Mr. Pickles posted:

gently caress it,

Bolt thrower.

That's how champions start their day. Just gently caress it. Bolt Thrower.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
You all have really weird ways for writing all of them. That's the only answer to the question of which Bolt Thrower album is best. All of them. Don't know why there's even a discussion really.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Weaponized Cum posted:

Have we discussed Godflesh' latest? because its awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dIOkBykgI4

Awesome? That intro is absurdly obnoxious.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

A human heart posted:

What intro? that's the same guitar riff that repeats through the rest of the song

If that molested car horn noise repeats beyond 1:59 I have no idea. That's the obnoxious noise I'm referring to. If that's a guitar then I should congratulate Godflesh on being progressive enough to have a tone-deaf mentally handicapped bonobo appear on a track.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
When I was in middle school I was hooked on reading sci-fi and cyberpunk novels. At the same time I was getting into hard rock and metal. I remember this scene from a book I was reading at the time had a Mike Hammer style private eye going into this nightclub and described the music as jetcore.

Basically the character described the music as the sounds made by angry orcs standing in the middle of a jet engine at full power.

As the years have passed the title of the novel and the plot have faded but I have never forgotten the music I imagined the character heard it that club. I searched for years for something that matched what played in my head. I've finally found it in Portal.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Vargatron posted:

Just learn e harmonic minor, congrats you are a neoclassical shredder.

Still needs flowing long hair and fans to blow it around, leather pants (bonus for them being tourniquet tight), frilly shirt, guitar with monkey grip and/or scalloped frets, six billion Marshall half stacks, and of course the fury.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

fronting a reunited bolt thrower?

BURN THIS HERETIC!!!

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

il_cornuto posted:

Someone hasn't looked at the thread title in a while.

Reading gets me all worked up. I didn't really mean it.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

A new Just Before Dawn track was released. They've always sounded like Bolt Thrower, but they've got Dave Ingram (Bolt Thrower) doing guest vocals on this track which seals the deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgI9AXCTBYk

This isn't even remotely similar to Korn

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

I'm gonna start a solo project called Baby Goebbels' Ghostmetal

edit-- except I won't cause I'm not a nazi.

To add to grind chat, if you like Discondance Axis, you owe it to yourself to check out Jon Chang's other project, Hayaino Daisuki: https://hayainodaisuki.bandcamp.com/

Change Goebbels' to Gobbles and be the first to produce metal for turkeys. You could even work in a bit of Nazi satire by singing about how much you hate bald eagles since they got to be the mascot of the US even though you're way more important and how Ben Franklin wanted turkeys to be the most important bird in the land.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Lord save me from thick motherfuckers who think Disturbed's version of Sound of Silence is superior.

Gross

Ehhh not bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uG7sd-YPmE

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

kumba posted:

variety is the spice of life

If a good deal of the posts in this thread are to be believed this is not the case.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

kumba posted:

don't believe everything you read on the internet

Are you telling me that people lie on the Internet? That the repository of all human knowledge may contain falsehoods, exaggerations, and hyperbole?

I don't know how to feel about this. Suddenly up is left and purple is milk! I've come adrift in a sea of betrayal and misery.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

No comment.

It's not scalloped nor does have a fan to blow back my majestic locks while I scrawl my signature on every breast (male, female, other) I see. I give it two frilly shirts out of five.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Mackers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpU8LYo7LMg

Saw this and wept that I'll never get to see SYL live

Right there with you. The only thing that's missing from that track for me is that hit by loving train sound when the drums and Devin's roar hits as one on the album track. I have no idea how you'd replicate that live short of jamming them all into a closet with you. That sound is like the THX swell of metal. A friend of mine worked in a car audio shop and bet me I couldn't find a track that would blow these woofers his shop had in their demo car. Cranked the system to 10 and set the alarm system for the jewelry shop next door off and then blew the woofers on the next hit. His boss was not amused the next day.

I need help locating an album cover. I remember it as black and white but there might have been red text and some yellow imitating lantern light from a cabin. There's a hooded Zodiac killerish figure in the doorway and I think a pit with bodies in it.

My brain wants the band to be Hooded Menace but I'm pretty sure that's not it. I cannot for the life of me remember the band name or even the music off the album just some hazy details of the album cover. Is this a fever dream or am I remembering an actual album cover? I think horror is part of the name but I can't be sure. Anyone recognize this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve always felt like I’m one drunken moment of chaotic enlightenment away from becoming Alex Jones so yeah.

Chaotic enlightenment? So something like listening to Testament's Brotherhood of the Snake while being sodomized with a copy of The Turner Diaries as you watch a naked 600 lb woman painted in a psychedelic color scheme gyrate around you while painting the phrase 9/11 was an inside job on your thighs?