Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I've really been turned on to Vader and Witchery. Are those two considered thrash metal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Turk February posted:

Vader is death metal from Poland, while Witchery is thrash metal with a little bit of Swedish death metal influence.

I’ve been having a hard time deciding what kinds of metal I really like, and what I can be pigeonholed into as far as my taste in metal. I’d like some insight into what is on my SanDisk right now if anyone has time.

FAVORITE METAL BANDS:

Megadeth – The band that started it all for me, I’ll listen to Megadeth anywhere at any time.

Pantera - My parents forbid me from owning any Pantera, so I made sure to buy all the Pantera CDs. All of them.

Opeth – These guys have kinda strayed away from metal as far as I’m concerned, but I guess that comes with being ‘progressive.’ On one CD you can go from gutteral vocals like Ghost of Perdition and The Conjuring to Damnation and Atonement, and even Godheads Lament where you have both in one song! I *love* a metal band that can growl and harmonize like Akerfeldt.

Slayer – Fast and intense with pretty great riffs. To me they have a lot of good songs that work for particular situations. If your situation calls for murdering Christians with M16s.

Dark Tranquillity – I can’t say I know of a bad album they put out. Everything they release is excellent and if you disagree you’re retarded and your ears are broken.

ALL THE REST:

Carcass
Children of Bodom
Vader
Amon Amarth
Witchery
Kalmah
Kamelot
Obituary
Sirenia
Edenbridge
Leave's Eyes
Nightwish (with Tarja)
Six Feet Under
Cannibal Corpse
Tiamat
Fear Factory
In Flames
Danzig!
Killswitch Engage (not so much anymore)

I've heard a few folk metal bands, Korpiklanni being one of them and it's not too bad. If anyone can suggest more bands to check out based on the handful I have I'd probably hug you IRL.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 29, 2012

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Spergio Leone posted:

If you want folky stuff, you simply cannot go wrong with Moonsorrow. Their earlier stuff is right up there in the epic melodic territory. Their later albums are the definition of intense.

You have a good list of death metal in your post. I'd say give Entombed a try since they are a fundament of the genre and have awesome groove going on. They're miles different from the likes of Cannibal Corpse but are awesome. This one is a cover but it has the vibe I want to convey they have.

Then there's Skeletonwitch, who have been shat on in the past few pages but I totally dig. They have that thrash thing straight from the 80s with awesome subdued melodies kinda like some Amon Amarth songs. I was just listening to this song on the way home and it made me air guitar in public. Yeah.

Thanks! I wrote those guys down and will stay a while, and listen! I forgot to mention I also dig Novembers Doom, which is apparently aptly named because they're Doom Metal! I like the sound and tonality but the emo lyrics can take a hike.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

IRQ posted:

I find Opeth to be boring and soulless, but you might give Orphaned Land a try if you like progish metal with vocals running from harsh to clean. You might also try Primordial. edit: Newer Amorphis if you can handle a 70 thousand ton cruiseshipload of autotune on the clean vocals.

From your list I see that you like the female fronted stuff a lot. Check out Epica, not only for that, but for the fact that they named themselves after a Kamelot album and you also like them. After Forever is probably up your alley as well.

Folk metal: Eluveitie are big and fairly accessible. Falconer is probably something you would like (skip the albums without Mathias Blad). If you want to go back to its roots, Skyclad.

I do have some Epica, but I don't care for them that much. I also like Edenbridge (which isn't a bad thing), but they're more power metal sounding to me. Within Temptation is another good female fronted band though they are pretty poppy sounding.

I can't beleive there is autotune in metal. I'll be sure to avoid that. I wrote the rest down, and I think I've heard of Skyclad. A co-worker said Wintersun is pretty good, confirm/deny?

Hammer Floyd posted:

The problem is that Lars is required for Metallica. He's an absolute oval office, but his cuntishness is the reason why they got so successful. His willingness to step on somebody else in order to get that little bit further ahead is probably why we know about Metallica more than we do any other Bay Area thrash band.

Sure, their music went commercial with Load\Reload, but I actually argue that Black is pretty loving metal. Holier Than Thou? Through The Never? Struggle Within? The God That Failed is basically an off-cut from AJFA and Wherever I May Roam is just a loving awesome song it doesn't matter what the gently caress it is. Sad But True (while painfully overplayed) is heavy as hell and so is My Friend Of Misery.

Besides, they were expected to win a Grammy for One. I mean...if you're winning grammys, you're probably reasonably commercial aren't you? All of their marketability comes from Lars' direction, but the awesome music comes from James.

I'd like to point out that Slayer won two grammys without ever having one of their tracks played on the radio. I hate Metallica for what they did with Napster and suing fans, and if Slayer can win a grammy with no air time then I don't know where that puts Metallica. Sure, Slayer had maybe a few songs on movie soundtracks, but that provides far less exposure than radio play.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 30, 2012

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Incoherence posted:

You didn't notice Kamelot's obnoxious tendency to autotune the gently caress out of everything recently?

Is The Black Halo and Ghost Opera recent?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Falconer isn't too bad, and this is folk metal right?

I don't really care for Moonsorrow. It has too much black metal influence for my tastes, and 3 out of 8 songs on their albums are sub one minute tracks of people walking through snow, grunting with labored breathing and sniffling their noses. I hate that poo poo.

The Capitulator posted:

My theory is that most metalheads dislike them purely because they are big / popular and high school kids like them. But you never know these days.

I personally like some of their slower material (eg. Walk With Me in Hell, Descending), especially drumming - the guy has a very distinct style and sound, at least in my opinion. But yes, they are the Pantera of this generation and yes, most of their material is very bland / generic.

I had my metal cred called into question when Necrophagist shirts started showing up at Hot Topic. I was so pissed that somehow, Necrophagist became trendy to in-a-box kids that shop at Hot Topic. I still like them for their stupidly technical seven string guitar, and their lyrics smack of Carcass' style with medical and disease influences.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 3, 2012

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Misogynist posted:

hiproduct.jpg you say?

I'm still keeping my Necrophagist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

IRQ posted:

Yeah. Folk/power metal generally. They're way more folky on their latest release.

I always found them to be a bit ostentatious, but a good deal of folk metal right now has black metal tinges. Also black metal is pretty awesome so you should try to get over that.

I would but way too much of it is vehemently anti-Christian. This is also why I was turned off Slayer quite a bit :(

I do love me some Immortal though.