Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Back to back epic weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Holy loving poo poo $95 for Manowar.

I remember seeing them with Rhapsody (of fire). Was an awesome night.

I am jealous though.
It's their only US tour date this time around.. so I can understand, and as I've never seen them before I bought the day they went on sale. Death Angel is opening for Anthrax/Testament this weekend too.. and they're my favorite of the 3 really.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Gene Hoglan playing with Testament is so sick. Jose the DJ from Sirius XM Liquid Metal was there last night, the dude looked almost exactly as I had pictured him in my mind haha. Eddie Trunk was there to run up on stage drunkenly and yell into the mic a couple times too.

Varg fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 13, 2011

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

thepitgoddess posted:

Can we all just agree that clothes are clothes and not turn this into some fashion debate that happened on GBS or something...

To contribute, I totally forgot how awesome Strapping Young Lad was and I am going to revisit their stuff.

This talk about SYL and fashion is one of the greatest combinations of all time. Nothing says, "Nice to meet you" like a dead baby angel having a wing ripped off.

I wear this occasionally.. mostly just to metal shows.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Manowar was incredible live, there's really nothing like it. I feel like my ears will still be ringing for the next couple days.. so worth it. I really wish they would come around every year.. I'm from New Jersey where the one US show was luckily at but I met people last night from all over the place.. someone drove like 14 hours from Canada to be there. The only other show I've been to that has the same sense of all true fans that know every word of every song was for Blind Guardian, and that wasn't nearly as fun as this show.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I saw Machine Head open up for Metallica on the Death Magnetic tour a couple years ago and I thought they were terrible. They butchered a Number of the Beast cover. Just listened to their new stuff on youtube.. I still can't really get into it. I don't know what it is, even as technically sound as the album may be, they still bore me to death.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

BSchlang posted:

A lot of melodeath bands use keyboards, I guess the most obvious ones being Children of Bodom
The most awesome guitar/keyboard solo battle ever

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

So I just got back from seeing Alice Cooper & Iron Maiden in Jersey. Was a couple people behind the railing up front.. the closest I've been to the stage at a show in an arena and it just kicked so much goddamn rear end.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Hey scroll up, people wanna ask you some poo poo.
Yeah I bet they do, but do they deserve answers?

Vintersorg posted:

Three more weeks till I see em with Coheed (blech) opening up -- this will be my third time and I cannot loving wait again. The pics Ive seen of the stage are making me feel all tingly. There isn't a first to the barrier for my city so im thinking of just taking a half day at work and milling about until people begin to come so I can get right up front for this one. I did that for the last tour and got a pick from Adrian Smith, hoping for a pick from Steve Harris this time.
This is how close I was, almost had a couple picks.. incoming crappy ipod pics my brother took.

alice with a snake

The chick guitarist behind Alice.. Orianthi.. so hot, and shreds so hard

hey sup bruce

epic night

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I honestly thought no one listened to Slipknot anymore when I saw tickets to one of their shows for half off on Groupon a few days ago.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I think I'm going to go see Gojira and Devin in Philly on Saturday, Dev is one of my favorites and I've missed him the past couple times around. Is anyone happening to also be going to Philly or NYC in the next couple days to see Testament, Overkill and Flotsam and Jetsam?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Morbid Florist posted:

Ever since Suffocation reformed and played the New England Metalfest, ran over their set time by a half hour because they felt they were too important (singer kept going to the mic "We're fuckin suff-O-CATION man! COME ON!") and every other band got cut short, or out entirely, anything they're invovled with can eat a dick in my book.

Not to mention Old Stench is right, they are all WAY past their glory days by at least a decade. Then again so are the big-4.
heh, I saw Suffocation with Dying Fetus, Aborted, 1349, and Carcass as the headliner... Suffocation honestly bored me.. Dying Fetus outplayed them by far with a 3 man show

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

lol, Halestorm. I only found out who they were from watching an episode of bar rescue.
http://youtu.be/aWZwIsm6qzg?t=5m37s

when the riff started I was like eh ok.. but

extendedsolo posted:

And Halestorm is essentially Taylor Swift throwaway songs reworked to masquerade as "metal".
so accurate

and since I first saw Kerry in a commercial for Jagermeister I was just like welp, that's that

Varg fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 4, 2013

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

hemophilia posted:

Man, I used to like Children of Bodom. What the gently caress happened to this band?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNYu2Ro06Y
Alexi's drinking might finally be catching up with him.. the dude is hammered 24/7, I sort of expected everything to go downhill

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

^ those kids are BRUUTAL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Q1qBNrlXo

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I've been seeing some stuff I never heard of from this dude who runs this facebook page - All Things Metal

like Bongripper

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Big Willy Style posted:

I never knew Machine Head were THAT bad.
I fully realized it when I saw them open for Metallica and they butchered a cover of Hallowed Be Thy Name, and their entire set before that was incredibly boring. Another band I can't quite figure out why people like so much are Job For A Cowboy. I saw them live once years back opening for Strapping Young Lad and there was very little variety between any of their songs. Did they get any better? cause I never bothered looking them up after that show

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Uh, go to an Iron Maiden show. Or definitely Manowar, as the dude above said. If you're not blown away by the sound and mastery of instruments then I don't know what anyone can do for you.

QPZIL posted:

I've seen some bands that can be fairly muddy on CD (Napalm Death and Anaal Nathrakh for example) and they were much clearer and the riffs were more discernible live.
Not that they sound muddy on recordings, but Dying Fetus live was super sick and I wasn't really a huge fan of their stuff before that. Also any black metal live is 100x better than on CD.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I listened to Sabbath's album the other day and was pleasantly surprised by it. Pretty chill groovy poo poo

edit: and just got myself to finally listen to the new Megadeth... but now I'm just confused and scared for their future.. where's the thrash?

Varg fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 13, 2013

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Battlecross is pretty fuckin awesome dude make sure you see them. Born of Osiris has some songs that aren't half bad for deathcore and others that I can't stand. Emmure is terrible. Bodom rarely ever plays this song live but it's still one of my all time favorites. I still think most of the stuff they've done after Hate Crew Deathroll has lacked anything special compared to that and previous albums, but they're a fun band to see live regardless of what they play.

e: Just listened to some Huntress and it seems like they'd be pretty cool to see too

Varg fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 18, 2013

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

So Serj has time to do that awful poo poo instead of getting back to making another SOAD album :| There's nothing Devin could have done to save that song, unless they had let him write and produce the entire thing himself, and then it would have sounded nothing like what I just heard

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I'm so misunderstood :(

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Francostein posted:

Ha, forgot that Jason Newsted had the same kinda hair as a modern day hipster girl. Also I forgot how much better recording quality that set had compared to all of their albums with Cliff Burton.
I burst out laughing when they cut to Lars' face, looks like he's trying as hard as he can

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Never understood the hate for anything At The Gates did, I liked it all.. can we push the hate onto In Flames where it's more warranted? They announced a new album for 2014 and I'm sure it's going to be just as lovely as their last 4 generic uninteresting releases. They used to be one of my favorite bands, now they've got a bunch of moron supporters getting all butthurt when anyone suggests that they should try to write actual melodeath again.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Misogynist posted:

Jesper Stromblad's not even in the band anymore. What's the point?
Yeah I know.. it's just sad to think about what they still could have done if he would have kept his poo poo together. Guess I'm just venting about it after seeing too many people praise their new poo poo on social media and having no clue what melodeath is. Suppose I'll just listen to some Insomnium and be happy with that.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Death Angel just announced a pretty awesome looking upcoming North American tour with 3 Inches of Blood, Revocation, Battlecross and Diamond Plate. Saw Death Angel last year with Anthrax and Testament and I'm way excited to see them headline this one.

Varg fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 9, 2013

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

If you've never seen Maiden from the floor like 10ft from the stage, you haven't yet lived.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Hammer Floyd posted:

You mean like this?

YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHEAAAAAAAAAHHHHEEEEEEAAHHHHHH!
HAALLLLLLOOOOWWWWWEEEEEEED BE THY NAAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEE!

yeah, pretty much like that. but I was even closer :D

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Just heard about this band, Hideous Divinity.. this is some awesome new tech death. Their first album "Obeisance Rising" is a concept based off the movie "They Live"

listen to the whole album here

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

So White Wizzard is pretty much done for

from facebook posted:

Guitarist Will Wallner has released the I following statement:

I am sad to announce I am no longer a member of White Wizzard. I will not get into the petty argument between Jon Leon and Joseph Micheal, I will only comment on what matters; the music. I am proud of the album Joseph Micheal, Will Wallner, Jake Dreyer, Jon Leon and Giovanni Durst created this year. We all brought our own influences and individual styles to make a great metal album. That is what I want to remember from my time in White Wizzard. We had a great live chemistry and for a brief moment I believed the band could have done something.

As proud as I am of the music we created I am equally pissed at how the tour and band ended. I am even more pissed for support band Monument who got screwed out of a tour because of our unprofessional attitude. I am pissed for the people who donated to the bands indiegogo campaign. The money was meant to help the band tour and now that band does not exist. I knew it was a bad idea and the video was humiliating and insulting. I hope each of you at least get what you paid for...

I may give an in depth statement explaining exactly what happened but for now this is all I want to say. I will be focusing on my solo project "Will Wallner & Vivien Vain". We have started working on a new album and am very inspired to get back to making real music. Finally I would like to thank all the fans who supported the band and all the friends I made while I was in the band. I would like thank Earache Records and Century Media for the work they did while I was in the band. Cheers!

quote:

Hey all WW friends and enemies,
It is time for me to get off this ship. “Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. “ –Edgar Allan Poe. I bought the ticket and I took the ride. Thanks for the memories!
-Jake Dreyer

Sucks, they had so much potential

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

new Iced Earth track

I've always liked this band.. this isn't bad, but you can really tell from this that Stu Block is like a Barlow-lite and I still don't really feel him

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Dudes I just watched the new episode of Metalocalypse and it was the most ridiculous, epic, awesome poo poo. I hadn't watched the show in such a long time but tonight's show was amazing. The entire episode is an operatic journey and it's totally worth your time

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omniscient

the best concept album

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Saw the Manowar dates too, was disappointed about no east coast until I realized I was lucky enough to see them 2 years ago in my home state 45 mins away on their only US tour date last time around.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I don't care at all about cars, that's why I drive a civic and have never visited this forum.

Songs about motorcycles are better anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=206m_H8GzmY

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

sleepingbuddha posted:

I'm looking for some new concert videos. What are the best metal concert videos?
recently, motherfuckin Gojira

and have some Immortal

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Falls Motel posted:

I feel like 1349 would be fun as gently caress live.
They do put on a pretty great show, saw them as the first opening band with Aborted, Dying Fetus, Suffocation and Carcass. That entire show was amazing

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Jose Mangin's host slot on Liquid Metal in the late afternoon weekdays is pretty good though, he usually plays good poo poo and gets a lot of cool interviews with people.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

metallica.. wat r u doing..

metallica.. stahp

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

This is one of the most ridiculously impressive things I've ever seen

http://www.metalinjection.net/video/30-misplaced-shredders-marty-friedman-in-metallica-steve-vai-in-pantera-kerry-king-in-megadeth