Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Rion.exe posted:

Could anyone recommend where I should start digging for getting into thrash?

I dunno what other peoples opinions are, but Cross Examination are a big favorite in Chicago(They are from St Louis), crowd goes crazy for them here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoheteqv6GI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Roasted Donut posted:

Kvelertak, Skeletonwith, and Zoroaster tonight. gently caress yeah

This show was some fun times. Zoroaster drummer is one of my favorites to watch live, he hits those drums so loving hard. Last time I saw them with Weedeater he broke a stick 15 seconds into the first song. Kvelertak was also surprising entertaining live, more so than I expected.

Only problem was the venue in chicago is this hole in the wall bar(WHICH I LOVE, loving greatest venue, nunslaughter show and eyehategod show there were two of the best ever)....that is in the middle of hipsterville so the entire crowd for the Kvelertak show were hipsters who show up just for something to do.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Are there any band's doing music like Carcass' Swansong? Like hard rock with death metalish vocals. Still one of my favorite albums, and I haven't really heard anything much like it. Multiple cowbell solos are a plus.

Blood Duster?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG8-8rrmQW4

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Colonel J posted:

What the hell. I read the last few pages, and nobody mentionned Born of Osiris's 2011 album The Discovery?

Also, Gorod

I listened to a song on youtube off the BoO, "Recreate"...1 minute in I had about enough but I soldiered on, its pretty loving awful.

The only Gorod album I listen to nowadays is Neurotripsicks, the second album wasn't bad, but the third got boring real fast, but to be fair I kinda grew out of tech death at some point I guess...Haven't listened to the EP yet but isn't it half rerecordings of old songs? Sadly when I saw them play at MDF I don't think they played a single song off Neurotripsicks.

I drank with them outside the hotel one of the nights and they were all pretty cool guys. Funniest poo poo...The weekend of MDF 2010 there was also some kind of lacrosse gathering in baltimore, well outside of this hotel we had like 30 metalheads drinking at least and there was one completely plastered lacrosse guy getting furious at some metalheads up on higher level. This guy tried climbing up the wall and everything. At some point he comes up to the guitarist of Gorod(who is out of hte band for health reasons I think) and says something completely innocent, like literally introducing himself. He turns to me with his french accent and goes "...I don't like this, this rear end in a top hat, I think I should kick his rear end", something along those lines. He was furious for like 5 minutes after that for some reason.

For some reason he wanted to do kissy faces in a picture, I don't remember I was pretty hammered
http://i.imgur.com/0rOLy.jpg

As far as albums of the year, poo poo before a few weeks ago I think I only listened to a handful of albums this year, theres a few I havent listened to that I'll probably like like the new Oranssi Pazuzu but these albums owned.

Absu - Abzu
Wormrot - Dirge
Autopsy - Macabre Eternal
Tombs - Path of Totality
Disma - Towards the Monalith
Cianide - Gods of Death
Black Pyramid - II
The Atlas Moth - An Ache for the Distance

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 29, 2011

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Sgt. Slobber posted:

Yo, what do you do if some jackasses are hardcore dancing and swinging fists and kicks around, screwing up a moshpit? Should you try to be civil and tell them to cut it out, or should you just knock 'em over (if you're bigger than them)?

Any time I ever see one, some huge guy levels em within seconds.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

It's like you can see the actual line where a normal neck would be (downward from the the earlobe), but there's this weird extension.

Well I decided to try using my years of image editing experience to see what this would look like...

His face magically looks smaller.

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 10, 2012

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

lordblytzkrieg posted:

That's the difference. Alestorm know they're jokes and love it. Swashbuckle try to be serious and end up being the joke.

With Alestorm I think its the opposite, from everything I read they hate the pirate thing and are doing it anyway, haha.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Killsion posted:

To me its all just hurf durf tech wanky poo poo that sucks. Random brut00tal growling hurf durf poo poo that sucks, or hurf durf Swedish poo poo that is decent at best.

You are right, I much prefer the boring hurf durf buzzing noises of portal. If thats the future of metal I should probably just give up on it now. Only Gorguts album I can stand listening to nowadays is the first one, also, mmmmm Grave Miasma.

Some friends of mine went to a burger place with Necrobutcher from Mayhem a few days ago, hes on vacation I guess, I was stuck at work...From the pictures I saw hes super short, I was not expecting that...dude must be 5'3 or some poo poo.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

IRQ posted:

Man 747s just all sound the same these days, loving same recycled noise over and over, it's just so stagnant and boring.

Now, the A380s, I mean at least they're trying something new, not the same old DC10 worship I hear out of all the other jetliners. :smug:

You are obviously just not listening to the 747's correctly, you just dont have the ear for it. Which is obvious cause A380s? Really? Psh. Call me when they try something new thats actually an improvement.

EDIT: VV yea I didnt think it mattered that the 747 and A380 both have 4 engines, since it was a joke, haha.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Houseplant posted:

they are still technically proficient

People like to bring up technical proficiency like it means something, I'd rather listen to some guy whos been playing guitar 2 months who can put together a badass sounding riff then some guy sweep picking or whatever the gently caress for 10 minutes. Listened to one of the new Meshuggah songs and was done with my annual "hey...maybe Meshuggah ain't that bad....nope false alarm still bad"

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

The German black metal band? I get the impression that Desaster are lot like Inquisition (Columbia now US?). They've both been around for a while but really haven't released anything innovative or fresh in years. So does this new Desaster break that mold?

They moved to USA from Colombia before they recorded their first album. I dunno if anything they released is innovative, but I love every album Inquisition has put out, and they are the best live black metal band I've ever seen(and probably my favorite set at Maryland Deathfest last year)

They put out a new album in 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN-K27yiVrk&feature=related

EDIT: Also just in general my favorite black metal band

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 24, 2012

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

To Battle posted:

God drat I can't get enough of Disma's Towards the Megalith. It's everything I love in death metal compacted into one album.

I love this stuff, can't wait to see em at mdf this year. Can't get enough of anything like it...Funebrarum, Decrepitaph.

Decrepitaph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhBVLhf3Veg

Funebrarum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7RXhedbIX0

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

When I think Watain I definitely dont think Brutal...maybe the problem is an expectation of something similar to Behemoth? I've seen behemoth live like 5 or 6 times at this point, but I'd rather see Watain anytime. Don't really like anything Behemoth has released since Zos Kia Cultus.

Trees and Squids posted:

Speaking of black metal, who are some really good live acts? I've never had the pleasure of seeing a real, no pagan/folk twist black metal band. Immortal seems like they're solid live, but that's too easy of an answer.

When I saw Immortal the venue was seriously nothing but 7 foot tall people, and the sound was kinda eh. Everything kinda ran together, probably just the venues fault. I still had a good time.

Inquisition has probably been my favorite live set from a black metal band I've seen so far. Absu is awesome live, pteradactly scream! I wanna say Aura Noir was good live but I was pretty far from sober so I don't remember much. First time I saw Marduk they were pretty good, too(but I heard the next time they came through it wasn't all that great). Rotting christ is awesome live, but the newer stuff stuff they play isnt really straight up black metal.

EDIT: VVV Yea D666 is killer live, was sticking to straight black metal bands though.

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 4, 2012

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

I don't think theres any thrash bands from the last 10 or more years that I can stand listening to anymore apart from Birth AD(aka warbringer sucks)

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Pretty much the only new thrash to give a gently caress about are bands you're friends are in.

Problem is Chicago is full of local thrash bands, so I'm friends with like 10 different thrash bands, which makes me not care even more. Theres an entire little thrash scene full of people go to see thrash bands and nothing else

Not Very Metal posted:

No kidding, no Axecuter or Mantic Ritual either?

Its funny, I had the beginning of a mantic ritual song as my ringtone(it starts with some weedily weedily guitar part that sounds like a ringtone). I was talking with the guitarist from Mantic when he was in Chicago playing with Lich King, in the middle of a convo my phone starts ringing. Thats gotta be a bit of an ego boost when your talking to someone and their phone rings with a song you wrote.

Since people are posting videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuUr4q5TL-c

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 4, 2012

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

I would take your situation any day of the week. In boston the only choice you have is between C-rate metalcore or toughguy hardcore. Once Toxic Holocaust left this city there is no reason to go to a show anymore unless a big name comes through on a tour.

Ah, I still wouldn't complain in Chicago though, would be nice if there was less thrash, but we still have a bunch of good local death metal and other stuff. Stuff like Morgue Supplier, Cardiac Arrest...Cianide played a small bar here last year, occasional Gorgasm show, the list goes on. Theres also plenty of decent venues, and its incredibly rare a tour doesnt stop here(if this isnt one of the few stops, like Sacred Reich played a Chicago show and nowhere else last year).....I have no place to complain, but the thrash kids just get annoying after a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmpBRB_yQrM

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

I didn't even realize Chicago had much metal outside Russian Circles and Pelican. Where do you see these shows at?

I'm guessing this is responding to me...Most touring stuff plays at Reggies Rock club, Bottom Lounge, or nowadays Mojoes(but gently caress that place). Some local stuff gets thrown in random places like The Fallout(which is like...a bomb shelter looking thing inside, its awesome). A guy who promotes a lot of local shows throughs little day fests there once in a while like Klash of the Thrash, or Thrashgiving(complete with turkey dinner).

Other then that, lots of bar venues like the Empty Bottle, Ye Old Towne Inn, beat kitchen...occasionally The Exit has a show upstairs...Honestly the only way I can keep track of this poo poo is by having lots of friends that send me invites for every show that gets thrown. Starting June 20th theres a show nearly every day...(June 21st Carnal Decay, 22nd Hell Awaits, 23rd They Die Screaming, 26th Death, 27th Landmine Marathon.)

EDIT: As for slightly bigger Chicago bands, outside Nachtmystium(I think whats his name moved to California though) and Bongripper theres Cianide, Macabre, Cardiac Arrest, Morgue Supplier, Diamond Plate, Indian, Bible of the Devil, Drug Honkey, Reign Inferno, Bones(Ex-Usurper members), Kommandant, The Atlas Moth, off the top of my head. There are countless random local bands though, especially thrash, too much goddamn thrash..

EDIT: VVV loving Mojoes

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 8, 2012

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

So apparently Brutality have reformed. Not much info so far apart from them talking about some compilation release or something...but I'd love to see em live, if not a tour then maybe play next years MDF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndNDatBNzE4

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 1, 2012

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

The interviews with Arch Enemy, Obituary and Jon Oliva went very well.

I will now interview (sadly, only by e-mail) Varg Vikernes. I will not ask about the murder, so don't ask. Anything else you want to know, and not just trolling him, let me know.

Dunno how to word the question but...

I haven't kept up with interviews since he got out of jail, so if you've seen this answered nevermind, but I remember seeing that the last black metal he heard was a Darkthrone album(I think) from years ago. Has he listened to anything newer since then, or is he still in his own little black metal world? (Has he heard something awful like Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth and facepalmed, haha)

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Turk February posted:

So this just showed up in my e-mail:

Apparently its the singer from Gorgasm as the replacement vocalist. Lots of Chicago region here, Broken Hope, Jungle Rot(Kenosha is close enough and the bassist owns a bar in a chicago Suburb), and Encrust.

Encrust used to be called Hunters, cool seeing they are on a big tour now, but surprised cause they seem out of place on this line up...Good stuff live though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NADqA2OihGw

Lots of unreadable logos this weekend at CIM

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 13, 2012

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Turk February posted:

This is a lie because I can read them all. I wish I was going to CIM this year. :(

I can too but I love beating a dead horse with bad jokes.

EDIT: VVV hahah, its Genocaust

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 13, 2012

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What's the one that looks like the Batman logo in between Dehumanized and Face of....... Demon in the third row?

Funerus, it has the guy from Incantation and his wife. The drums are unbearable, and was generally boring live.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

MrBling posted:

"the guy from Incantation" is probably the vaguest description ever considering the amount of people that has been through that band.

Haha the guy whos been in Incantation since the start, John McEntee.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

het posted:

just to be clear, which one?

(Also yeah psyched for Venom, Carcass, and Manilla Road)

I'm assuming the doom one, other one officially changed their name to "Pentagram Chile"...that and they just played in 2011.

Super stoked for this line up so far

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 20, 2012

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Blind Guardian is one of those bands where EVERYONE in the audience will sing along, which is always fun. My favorite of those kind of bands is Tyr, because of the faroese....everyone still sings along to the faroese parts, basically mumbling the parts, and its hilarious/awesome.

Well, I figured I'd share it here...my fairly new band has released a new song. Im fairly happy with it, and just happy to for the first time hear a song I mostly wrote(everything but the first two riffs) in a decently good recording. I'm vocals+guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAMbzXOvgzk

EDIT: VV Wasn't saying it sarcastically or anything, just gave my two reasons for assuming it was the american pentagram. Both bands kicked rear end at MDF when I saw em.

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 21, 2012

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

aliencowboy posted:

Slasher Dave needs to put out another Horrific LP.

I asked him about it when they played Chicago a year ago, he said something to the tune of thats pretty much over, that was a razorback records thing. Acid Witch is no longer on RB, and it doesnt sound like he plans on doing anything more with Horrific.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Gorguts is really well known, and they played well the last two times I saw them, but....nowadays I really only listen to their first album, and they only played one song off that, so I wasn't all that into it. I can listen to Considered Dead all the time though, rest of their stuff kinda bores me nowadays.

Ripping Corpse on the other hand!

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

My bands opening for Vektor in Chicago :-D (Also snagged opening spot on Skeletonwitch in November, our first two shows opening for touring acts)

Been listening to this album a ton recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqU21diFyd0

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 10, 2012

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Defleshed posted:

Who is your band? Been sorta curious about the Chicago metal scene, want to start going to a show here and there.

My band is called Nucleus, I posted a song a few pages back I think. There are tonnnns of shows in Chicago, if you ever wanna meet up at a show lemme know on hurr https://www.facebook.com/SloughFeg

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

BSchlang posted:

It's fine to not like the pioneers of a genre. I'm sure Sad Wings of Destiny was the poo poo when it came out, but I can't rock out to it because I grew up with metal that was heavier, faster, and just all-around better in every department that makes metal awesome.

Sad Wings of Destiny is loving awesome, I dont care how fast or heavy other bands can be.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Houseplant posted:

Christ, I'll probably get poo poo for this, but am I the only one who thinks Wintersun is just not that great? I mean, they are good, he is good, but it's nothing spectacular.

I listened to the Wintersun album like twice and then never bothered again, so not just you. Once in a while when I see a bunch of people in this thread talk about em again, I'll play a song, and about halfway through I give up.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Minto Took posted:

I know there are some people in here from Chicago. I stopped Reckless Records today and even they didn't have what I was looking for. What are the good metal record stores in this city?

Not much since Metal Haven closed I'd say your best bet will be the record store at Reggies Rock Club...Logan Hardware also has a small metal collection, but its not much and pretty expensive. Really without metal haven there isnt much else.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

fappenmeister posted:

Before a lot of reissues for the more 'cult' bands, people would pay ridiculous amounts for some albums.

I sold my copy of the first Acid Witch cd on ebay for somewhere between 110-130 dollars a few months ago, that poo poo ain't even old.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Holy poo poo seriously.

I've got (I think) the first pressing, is it out of print now or something?

Yea. Im sure the vinyl would be up there in price.They arent on that label anymore...dunno if they ever plan on reprinting. I had the cd early on, debated but skipped buying the vinyl since i already bought the cd, wish i had bought it. I have all the other on stuff on vinyl. I saw the witch house 7" black sell for over 50. I wonder how much my purple would sell for.

EDIT: VVV Didn't see your post, but drat Broken Hope stole the show.

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 18, 2012

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Defleshed posted:

Is MDF outside?

Well its no longer at sonar, so until they announce the new venue dont really know, but every year before its been Indoor on thursday, then friday, saturday, sunday its one indoor stage, 2 outdoor stages.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

I've never heard of Mokoma and I would think that with such a big international following, Wintersun must have a huge Finnish following.

Hahaha, I instantly recognized that Mokoma name because there was another song posted, i dont know if it was in this thread but, its like a finnish rapper or something and this song features Mokoma. Its ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl0XY8jDVts

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

People were posting thrash...well heres pretty much the only current thrash(well, more crossover) band I give a drat about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuUr4q5TL-c

Thats off their EP, they finished recording their full length but its not released yet. They just put out a brand new song though.

http://www.blistering.com/fastpage/fpengine.php/templateid/4838

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

m-o-o-n posted:

Teitanblood - Woven Black Arteries

You got me all excited thinking there was a full new teitanblood albums, but one new song I'll take I guess

my favorites off the of my head...not really any particular order

1 - Chthe'ilist - Amechth'ntaas'm'rriachth
This is just a demo, but its easily my favorite release of the year, if you like demilich youll probably like this.

2 - Anhedonist – Netherwards
Nice slow death/doom

3 - Grand Supreme Blood Court - Bow down blah blah
Best Asphyx album since Last One On Earth, Eric Daniels! I mean Deathhammer was alright, but this is what I want Asphyx albums to sound like.

4 - Grand Magus - The Hunt
I'm just a bitch for poo poo like this, catchy basic heavy metal sounding stuff

5 - Incantation - Vanquish in Vengeance
6 - Horrendous - The Chills

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 30, 2012

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Just gonna post this here cause it didn't seem like many people have heard it. If you like demilich, they are definitely influenced by them, but arent an exact copy. Definitely my favorite release this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRSesSiu360

Also, I listened to the terrorizer album, not the other two, but yea the Terrorizer isn't all that...Forgot about the Gaza album, I remember liking it so I gotta revisit that.

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Pitpit posted:

The first band Atlas Moth or something couldn't make it over the border, whatever.

Thats a pity, Atlas Moth owns. Apparently theres some border agent that looks like Morgan Lander that keeps denying illinois bands, turned atlas moth down and didnt let Encrust over the border either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCBT6Xf_AGA