Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I am not an especially metal person, nor do I have many metallic friends, but I have gotten interested in metal fairly recently, probably due hearing the to the Brütal Legend soundtrack. From there, I've just randomly checked out internet recommendations. Some of the great classic metal bands are kind of intimidating because there's so much music and I rarely know where to start. So far, based on a Internet-informed sampling of their albums, I've liked Dio and Judas Priest quite a bit and Iron Maiden not as much.
Of more recent bands, Tır, Turisas, Aldious, and Arkona seem good and Ribspreader is unlistenable. I think I don't "get" growly vocals.
So any suggestions of bands with similar characteristics (vocals not required) would be appreciated.

Portable Staplefrog fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I'll check those out. My instinct is to run away from anything associated with "folk music", but folk metal is somehow different.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Check out early Elvenking, you'll like em. :) They are great! Super folky but with some metal too, not much growly stuff at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHREzw3IyJ0

This is kind of fantastic. The folkiness worried me at first, but it gets better.

Blind Guardian has a great name and I will test them against my ears later.

edit: I mixed up the two bands and my comments apply to each other and not themselves.

Portable Staplefrog fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 19, 2012

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Today, one of my few live human friends introduced me to Abominable Putridity. They are very much not my thing, but you might like them!