Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Between the new cc and that ulthima album posted earlier my steering wheel has taken a beating the last few times I've driven. Both of those albums are fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

H13 posted:

20 years of Opeth's Blackwater Park.

Opeth became a pretty heavily played-out thing in the metal community where Opeth fans almost became as annoying as Tool fans (unfortunately, I am both). However I think it's worth acknowledging that era of Opeth (Still Life, Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries) was pretty drat unique for it's time, and even today whenever a band does cool weird chords in metal, it can't help but feel a BIT Opeth-ish. They're a band with many imitators, but none of those imitators were able to take the Opeth thing and nail it like they did.

So hey! Cheers to a legit killer album (even though I prefer Still Life) which I would argue changed things in metal for a bit, and definitely put Opeth on the list of metal's legendary, but often hated bands.

If you aren't making a stank face during the first 2 minutes of the title track are you even really alive?

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Death Magnetic and Hardwired have some solid tunes. Also the black album is probably one of the best albums for beginner guitarists and bassists to learn some heavier stuff that's fun to play. Metallica owns.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Not sure if anybody posted about it earlier but Archspire's two new songs are some boss poo poo.

https://youtu.be/LY8RFaMs0Ac

https://youtu.be/WuSD92fIWXg

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I accidentally (physically) bumped into Sonata Arctica at a Portland safeway the morning of their show with Nightwish like 10 or 12 years ago. I got super drunk the rest of the day and had a baller time late into the night hollering like a big power metal doofus at their concert. Welp, that's my story.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
My parents got me the mighty morphin power rangers soundtrack on cassette when i was probably 4 or 5 and i homestly think that planted some kind of dormant metal seed in my impressionable young brain for later in life. I ended up listening to a ton of rap and pop music up until i was probably 17. I ended up making friends with one of the goth kids in my class, hung out with his friends quite a bit and they were big into system of a down, bodom, Metallica, linkin park, etc. I liked those bands quite a bit but the real breakthrough was when one of the super hot goth girls in the group gave me a burned copy of blackwater park and whoracle, thats when the true metal fan came out.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

SalTheBard posted:

Awhile back I posted a link to my friend Diego's bandcamp page with a link to his melodic metal album Myth. He just released his new single "The Wanderer" today and it's great:

https://diegosanjorge.bandcamp.com/track/the-wanderer

This is the first track from his new EP which should be out later this year

This is some good poo poo. Your friend is super talented.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Probably got posted like 1k posts ago or something but I've been jamming to this for a week or so. Brazilian death metal band Crypta with two ex members of burning witches in the band. poo poo rips real hard if you like a 90s dm sound.

https://cryptabrazil.bandcamp.com/album/echoes-of-the-soul

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

remigious posted:

New Arch Enemy album today as well! Not everyone’s cup of tea, I know. I just love Alissa so much :)

Alissa sounds good to me on this album but I was hoping for some more of her clean vocals like handshake with hell. Kind of more of the same as war eternal imo but I'm enjoying it so far.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I know it was on the last page or whatever but that Moon of Foul Magics is a loving heater. Bought it and the self titled 2 minutes into it.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

punished milkman posted:

the crypt sermon guys have another band called Daeva that recently released an album that i missed

https://youtu.be/wI6_mGPOeRU

it absolutely rules. the riffing occasionally reminds me of Apsu’s Abzu

Absolutely killer guitar tones on this one. What a ripper.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I'm not sure how I've never heard any Hellripper before catching up on this thread but uhh, all their poo poo loving rips.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Anyone recognize what this track is lifted from/inspired by?

https://youtu.be/gi6cRnVVMk0

It’s some kind of metal, I know that, but the bands and riffs it reminds me of escape me. Definitely not the later, darker, more doom-y metal as far as I can tell. I don’t think it’s thrash either.

Think it sounds like the first part of For Whom the Bell Tolls to me.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Hibria's first 2 albums loving rule.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
The guitar tone and just overall mixing/mastering quality on the new Hellripper is fantastic.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

[DEEDLY DEEDLY DEEDLY DEEDLE]

Think we have a new thread title.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Got around to listening to 72 seasons and im not sure if Lars is the worst member of the band anymore because Kirk sounds absolutely washed. Album itself is a slightly worse hardwired and has the same problem, 45 minutes of filler and 25-30 minutes of solid stuff. Also cant help but hear the bret hart entrance music riff over and over again in inamorata. Ill give it another spin or two but other than lux i cant remember any other song i felt like i had to listen to again.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
The link to the fires in the diatance album is the same as the ignea album. I found it anyway and its definitely my kind of poo poo.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Bolt Thrower

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I bought a hellripper shirt and now I'm cooler than the rest of you.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Honestly shocked CC is coming to my city, insta purchase.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Im going to see dream theater next month and im stoked to see myung play. Labrie is whatever to me but it is funny how many DT covers on youtube there are that have a better sounding singer on the cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
The new crypta album kicks rear end and is super well produced. Whoever mastered it deserves all the praise in the world.