Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's so loving good jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

Colors and the one after it kind of put me off them for a while but uhhhhhhh i think i have some material to make up on

I was burned on them through the middle albums after being obsessed back when TSC/Alaska were out but the last album was really solid. They've always been incredible musicians but they seem to be coming into their own, finding their rhythm and focus much better. This sounds like the next logical progression with their weird Floyd/Queen influences and it slays my ears. Tommy's vocals keep getting so much better, he's dreamy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Alright so what bands do I need to listen to if I want GOOD new thrash?

Like, I've been jamming the absolute poo poo out of Revocation - Deathless but give me most other retrothrash and I might as well listen to Deathless or old stuff.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Well I'm pretty much in absolute thrash heaven thanks to you all, I can't thank you enough. I've found a bunch of bands I reaaaally dig and in general haven't heard a clunker yet. Nice! I'm glad the genre isn't skeletonwitch'd to death because I love me some good nasty thrash.

Varg posted:

I like Revocation quite a bit too, they never seem to be mentioned in this thread.

Man I seriously love them. Deathless brought me back into wanting to listen to techy thrash bullshit and I've been listening to it all the time since I got it. For some reason it really reminds of Death in a huge way and I can't say that about any other band. Every song has that one perfectly written part that forces you to give it all of your attention.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Somewhere I have a Planetary Duality shirt with a real dumb lyric back like

TRANSFERRING NEUTRONS
DISPLACING REALITY
FERMENTING ATHEISM
DISSECTING THE COSMOSIS

it's really dumb and even though that album is still special to me The Faceless is so garbage now that I have no reason for it. I'm glad it's lost in a closet somewhere.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ghost has an amusing aesthetic and a handful of decent songs and they don't deserve any strong feelings either way.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Had a dude at Publix say "hey nice shirt" towards my Saxon shirt. Great shirt moment, no obnoxiousness, proof that Saxon is a quality band with excellent mild mannered fans.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

New Enslaved has a lot of tasty riffs. I like this band. I think I missed the last one or two albums but man they just keep chugging along don't they?

Here's a good song that isn't Enslaved,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7s2dEKbQWFE

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hammer Floyd posted:

Yeah, I think Opeth are one of those bands that the first album that you dig will always be your favourite.

For me? It's Still Life.

During high school Opeth was my go to hey I'm moody and depressed and need something to lose myself in. I was obsessed for a while. Now I can't care about anything before they went prog rock. It's a way better fit for them and my ears.

Of course now that the discussion came up I feel like revisiting the old stuff. Even back in the day I felt like Damnation was their most honest, natural sound though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If you're not smart and ignore earplugs they probably will.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

sursumdeorsum posted:

I love Pantera, Korn (shut up), Samael....that kind of poo poo. Please recommend a new band that I would love. I need new music in my life.

Cynic

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CornHolio posted:

Apparently yesterday Mastodon was staying in town for a day on their way to a gig in Ohio. My brother's friend's girlfriend works at the front desk of the hotel they were staying at, and was chatting with their 'accountant' for like three hours. She sent a picture to my brother, and it was Troy loving Sanders. She got some cool stuff like guitar picks for them. She isn't familiar with them and totally believed him when he said he's just their accountant :lol:

Meanwhile my brother was scouring the restaurants in the area looking for them but could only find their road crew (turns out they were at Bleachers).

I always thought it would be cool as hell to meet them. I've heard they're super friendly but Brent can go 50/50 on being the nicest dude vs completely ignoring that you even exist.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I never got into them back in the day but Testament is obviously #1 when it comes to leftover thrashers. Their newer album is the best one I've heard. Skolnick is an amazing man.

Kumbamontu posted:

New BTBAM song/video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R40wAZxMsTg

Pretty groovy and the production is crisp as hell

These guys are so on point it's disgusting. I'm aching to hear the entire album.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 14, 2015

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Every time someone brings up Cryptopsy in 2015 I feel weird because I completely stopped paying attention after they changed things up and released that first awful deathcoresque song. Have they turned things around finally? Old Cryptopsy has always been legendary poo poo for me and Lord Worm was a huge part of that. If they've released good material though I'm down. Good vocals and riffs are the clinchers.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Furism posted:

Ah, gently caress that then.

Personally I tend to prefer original recordings (unless they are notoriously bad). Remasters tend to do the whole "loudness war" bullshit and the dB is just unnecessarily high.

Every Mastered for iTunes album I've bought sounds phenomenal. I mean very, very good and I can be quite anal about these things.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bruce Boxliker posted:

AJFA has its share of duds but it also has One, which is probably one of the best metal songs ever, IMO.

One is a song that has everything I needed back in the day to get into metal. It's such a good track and the lyrics/backstory are eerie as hell. I wish the guys could still pull something off like that because it's what happens when everyone in a band is firing full power.

Ride the Lightning is my favorite Metallica album though. The riffs are perfect, there's a feeling of pissed off youth with hints of needing to experiment and think outside the box. Hetfield is a monster of guitar + vocals locked together in a way he never nailed again.

I still like Metallica, even after the complete bullshit ego trip in the 90s. They obviously love what they do and even though I don't care about their new music at least they're trying new things and have been for a while. I can't help but smile when I see goofy pictures of them throughout the years and realize deep down somewhere past the inane lawsuits they're a bunch of silly goofballs who wrote enough classic songs to make up for the garbage.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vintersorg posted:

Prepare to have a ton of posts showing much "angrier" music.

Previous two Metallica albums.

But AJFA slays even though the production knocks it way down for me and that's a shame. Lars is a booger.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If you don't like KEM, RTL, and AJFA you belong in the garbage.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

nerve posted:

All of you that get to see Conan > Ufomammut > Yob are some lucky fucks

If I've been listening to Conan and Ufomammut a lot lately (mostly ufo) what should I go for now? Cosmic sludge makes me feel good.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gamma Nerd posted:

Yeah, new Nile too. Pretty hyped, trying to prepare for disappointment but I dig most of Nile's discography so chances are I'll like this.

Nowadays brutal/tech death bores me to tears but I can't help but get hyped over Nile. They know their strengths too well.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gamma Nerd posted:

They don't totally belong in that category because they actually know how to play tempos below 280bpm. (Not to say their material isn't sort of redundant and samey in other ways, at times).

I'd probably like them way more if their recent production jobs weren't so grating. Hopefully the new one will be a return to a more natural, gritty sound, but considering it's Nuclear Blast I doubt it.

The last album had really weird production. It was almost real nasty and raw but it was sooo thin. Nile needs a huge sound with clarity and that production didn't cut it. AOTW has perfect Nile production for me.

I'm going to have to grab a few old albums on iTunes I think. It's been a while and I miss my egyptian myth jams.

My girlfriend showed me this years ago and I try my best to spam Arthur Brown wherever I can. Rules. I'm surprised it's not better known.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

jesus christ

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The album cover is good because it reminded me to listen to this (you should too)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1gC9FahnfvA

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Devin isn't a "genius" but he's a master of simplicity in a world of overthinking and overplaying. It's fascinating to hear him talk about guitar playing and songwriting and he seems like the goofiest nicest dude. I've never been into most of his discography but hating him is silly.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hammer Floyd posted:

Speaking of thrash...

What's some new awesome thrash along the lines of Exodus, Testament and (even though I know people hate them) Skeletonwitch?

You might like Havok.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

KingKapalone posted:

Came to ask if Spotify or Google Play had a better metal selection or better radio/channels. Any one have opinions?

I was never interested in Google Play but I used Spotify for quite a while. It was good but I've been sour on the whole streaming service thing so I ended up canceling like 7-8 months ago. I'm very interested in trying out Apple Music since I use all Apple poo poo and already buy 99% of my music via iTunes. Just kinda makes sense for me but at the same time I'm still iffy on streaming. I'm hoping it's good enough to convince me. I don't care about their Beats radio or whatever dumb poo poo they're promoting but the rest seems good.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Turk February posted:

He's a lifeless human drum machine and is easily the most overrated drummer in death metal. Get bent, (death metal drummer here).

Adjusted this for even more truth

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't understand why I like that Maiden cover art so much.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Faffel posted:

Saw Agalloch at a small show in Victoria last night, old fan of theirs but never saw them live. Probably the best live show I've seen yet. Maybe it was the small size making it seem bigger but they really put a lot of effort into it.

I would kill to seem them live but they'll never play in loving Florida. The thought of that is funny though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Maiden has great production. You can actually hear the instruments and playing dynamics and they understand managing sonic space. The worst thing about 99% of modern metal is the horrible production.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I tried really drat hard to ignore streaming outside of Spotify for a short while in hopes of it dying out but here I am. Loving the poo poo out of Apple Music. 100% ready to drop the $15 a month for a family plan. It has everything I could ask for and the personalized playlists, suggestions, radio, etc were very pleasant surprises. Apple rules and is a loyal friend to metal.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lemmy is a 69 year old diabetic touring musician. What do you expect? That's a fairly awful angle with bad lighting too. If you compare it to older photos it's not that shocking.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

The Sólstafir dramabomb gets ever larger:
https://solstafirofficial.wordpress.com/2015/07/06/its-been-over-a-month-now-and-absolutely-nothing-has-changed/

Poor old Gummi, sounds like the rest of the band really screwed him over.

I had no idea this was even going on, drat. I only get into them last year but the direction of their new sound was one of my personal recent favorites. What a shame.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DeusExMachinima posted:

Has there ever been a band that stayed 'relevant' in terms of their new releases for 30+ years in metal? Honest question.

Neurosis is getting there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Judas Priest should reasonably count.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I firmly believe that Children of Bodom absolutely kicked rear end for a long stretch of their career on a level few bands achieve. They had a great sound, a consistency, and a willingness to roll with the cheese. Every time I listen to the old albums it brings me right back to being like 17 and wanting to be as talented and dreamy as Alexi Laiho. They came across as an evolution of the cheesy riffs out the rear end solos in every song over the top lyrics 80s style metal that is rarely pulled off right. It blessed my fat angsty teenage heart.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't know anything about that goofy ridiculous band but I think I'm a fan now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

caiman posted:

My most recent one has been the real murky, occult-ish stuff like Mitochondrion, Antediluvian, Vassafor, Malthusian, etc. My parents would be proud.

Okay I JUST started listening to this spooky spacey primal yet alien sounding occult influenced stuff this week and I can't get enough of it. Particularly Mitochondrion. What other bands should I try out? Deathspell Omega and Ufomammut to a lesser degree both give me the same feeling. I love the dense atmospheres these bands conjure.

e: in lovely fashion I clicked the artist name for Mitochondrion on Apple Music and it brought me to a recommendation page with surprisingly good bands. ty steve

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 12, 2015

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Optimum Gulps posted:

Bands at least somewhat akin to Mitochondrion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vyw_FGIhAE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQlHHEde-ho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn_-zcoNPtw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQeZaBVRXpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D03gQU1hO0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DgPGkk4HNA (their older stuff is not as atmosphere-focused)

Oh and for the Deathspell Omega angle, here's something that sounds a bit like them mixed with Gaza/Converge-style hardcore, but much angrier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybo-sfbEMYs

another edit - not quite in the same vein, but you might like Ved Buens Ende, the band that eventually became Virus. Progressive/black metal with great drumming and audible bass, not alien/occult-sounding but definitely strange.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVOASknimeA

Thank you! I love this poo poo. It's been so long since I've listened to much truly "extreme" metal and genuinely liked it. These bands are incredibly heavy and keep my brain going the whole time. I've got a nice weird backlist to spend time with now :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I'm wondering if anyone in this thread might be able to help me find something. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and he mentioned the band The Sword, and I kept thinking I'd seen some article (or hell maybe even just a goon post) a long loving time ago whose entire premise was just how much the band sucked and how they were an affront to metal or something. So far I haven't been able to find it but I know it exists and I'm hoping maybe some of you guys remember what I'm thinking of.

If you find it let me know so I can punch the author.