Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
A new Detroit band just got picked up by Metal Blade: Battlecross. It's very technical thrash, and they're all very good musicians, but it does have a touch of the "bro" to it.

While it really isn't my cup of tea, it's nice to see this town represented by more than just BDM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I encourage everyone to check out Orchid, if they haven't done so already. Spot-on Sabbath worship, done well.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

On the subject of Skeletonwitch, is it worth paying for a ticket to see the Black Dahlia Murder just because Skeletonwitch are supporting? I'm kinda torn.

I caught BDM a couple years ago at the Mayhem fest, and they were pretty good - energy wise and technically. I'd do it.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

deltawing posted:

The new Absu album is just as good as Tara, IMO.

What an incredible piece of music. Has anyone else heard it yet? Probably going to be my AOTY for 2011 unless Wintersun - Time comes out.

Agreed, it's awesome. So is the new Skeletonwitch, have we covered that?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

QPZIL posted:

I wouldn't, no.

Also, just listened to the Taake song with the banjo solo in it ("Myr"). Well, I listened to it twice because I was laughing the first time. Holy poo poo, it's so good! How did they make it good? I'm impressed.

Taake has always seemed a little "off" to me, and they've only gotten stranger. I can't recall exactly which song, but they use a really comedic "boing" noise in one of the other recent albums.

Hoest may be going slightly more and more insane. Which is good.

Not Very Metal fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 21, 2011

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
A couple of months ago I started following Extreme Band of the Day on facebook, and it's been pretty beneficial.

The bands are usually pretty good, and I've been turned on to a lot of stuff that I probably wouldn't have found on my own. They don't spam up the wall at all either, as it's usually two or three consecutive posts. Worth checking out, imo.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Gr31lly posted:

Your only real issue is figuring out how reliable the person you're buying from is, but if you check around you can usually find out fairly quickly who the rip-offs are.

This is very important. I bought a Carpathian Forest t-shirt from a Totally Legit E-Bay store, and the screen on the front is a solid 2 inches off center.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Yeah, and to reiterate I'm all for whatever methods help out the bands, that's what it's about at the end of the day after all.

I like to think i put my $40 into Lemmy's video poker machine :patriot:

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

MrBling posted:

Slayer was good a couple years ago when I saw them last. I hear LoG's shows are a blast, and the same with Skeletonwitch, but the rest seems kinda meh if not total poo poo. It'd depend on the ticket price for me.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Does anybody have a link to that artist who did all the hip-hop/rap group logos in the style of classic metal ones? I cant find it on google and it was pretty awesome.

http://www.jiratpatradoon.com/Heavy-RnB-Prototype

Some mildly :nws: stuff throughout the site, fyi.

e: oops, looks like this is actually the designer: http://aykay.com.au/Heavy-RnB-Prototype

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

nuncle jimbo posted:

Where do yall get your shirts besides at a band's show? I need to restock on goony as gently caress metal shirts

I use CM Distro, or buy straight from the record label.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Deakul posted:

I'm looking for some industrial / thrash metal with clean vocals.

Any recommendations? I like Fear Factory, Annihilator, Sabaton, old Metallica, and Maiden to name a few.

Mantic Ritual!

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
wait, why did he start calling them "cuntress" again?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Nordick posted:

Hey guys, you've heard that Finland is the promised land of Heavy Metal, right?

It's true, I have proof right here! Check out these trve-as-fvck hardcore motherfuckers: http://youtu.be/-4i-NRfg77o

Now excuse me for a while, I'll be at the ER to get this ruptured pancreas I got from laughing too hard treated.

holy poo poo, this is the daddest band.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Nordick posted:

EDIT: I also find it hilarious that only about 1600 views in and they've already disabled commenting on the video.

there's a lot to be discerned by this fact alone, for any band really.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

MrBling posted:

Hey, guess what rules?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fd-wMCACGY

its these guys.

just want to throw my hat in the ring with these guys.

they do rule.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

The Clit Avoider posted:

New Gospel of the Horns track

oh hell yeah.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
has anyone mentioned Necroblaspheme yet? cause they rule, and i don't consider myself a big Death Metal Guy.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

MrBling posted:

http://sepulchre.bandcamp.com/ its more in the crusty venom camp than anything else, still great though.

these guys need to get out of toronto and come to loving detroit. they're super cool dudes too it seems, i e-mailed them a couple years ago and got the ep - they threw in a t-shirt for free!

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

MrBling posted:

Considering that the bandleader is Chorazaim from Megiddo and the new Megiddo album has been just about ready for 6+ years I wouldn't count on too much happening. Unfortunately.

I did not know that. also dang.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Yeah it's scary how close he sounds to lemmy. he's even got the upturned mic and right hand action!

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

nerve posted:

Has nobody in this thread listened to Vektor or something?

No kidding, no Axecuter or Mantic Ritual either?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Got back from Hellfest yesterday. It was one of the best festivals I've ever been to - despite the mud (thank goodness for wellies). Everyone was outstandingly friendly, and the bands sounded fantastic.

The bands I saw:

Merrimack, Belenos, Benediction, Sòlstafir, Endstille, Darkspace (!!!!), Taake, Moonsorrow (front row!), Satyricon, Oranssi Pazuzu, Necros Christos, Shining (Swe - back on form, too), Napalm Death, Enslaved, Behemoth, about three minutes of Guns 'n Roses, Aosoth, Winterfylleth, Blood Red Throne, Anaal Nathrakh, Ihsahn, Suffocation, Arcturus, Sunn O))).

Definitely going back next year.

gently caress that sounds awesome. Very jealous.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Misogynist posted:

Arson is a pretty bitchin' song to grab for $1 off iTunes, though.

Pursuit of Vikings has thunderbattle written all over it too. It's one of my favorite Amon Amarth tunes.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Kryopsis posted:

If you really want a serious discussion, why are you suggesting that people who disagree with you are mentally challenged?

Check the OP.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Awesome, these guys are loving great.

nomapple posted:

Skeletonwitch rule live. I'm still not that familiar with the material but they're bound to put on a good show, with a lively atmosphere.

Good to hear, gonna catch them in November with Havok.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Yeah they're becoming a one trick pony, but I really really like that trick.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Geisladisk posted:

What the gently caress. A friend of mine is going to this gig.

loving Slayer and Motorhead on the same gig, and loving SLIPKNOT is the headliner?! :psyduck:

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

I caught an iteration of this a couple years ago, and the headliners (main stage) went Mushroomhead -> Slayer -> Marilyn Manson. Behemoth played to about 100 people, in the middle of the afternoon, in a parking lot. What the poo poo.

:psyduck:

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Sadly the economy really hit the Detroit metal scene hard. Shows at Harpos that used to have 2000+ people at them now barely get 1000, and lots of bands that used to go there are heading to the 500 person Blondies instead. People seem to not be able to afford 20 buck shows now.

Also people don't want to get stabbed if they go to Harpo's which isn't helping the turnout either. Now bands are booking places the Magic Stick/Majestic/St. Andrews, which hold even less. It's like a big poo poo whirlpool that we can't escape.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Harpos is the safest it has ever been. They have had metal detectors since dime got shot, armed security in the lot, and they no longer let 18 year kids in the back stairway for half price with glass bottles of jack daniels. Btw being 18 and going to Harpos owned in 2002.

Well poo poo, my bad! I haven't been there since '05, '06? I thought it was pretty sketchy then, but my opinion is definitely outdated. Still, it sucks that these places and shows aren't getting the turnout they deserve, even with quality national acts coming through.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I'm sure this won't be new to most, but I was just turned on to Dew Scented. Death-y German thrash metal with harsh vocals, it's like a dream :allears:

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Yeah I don't mind these one-trick ponies so much, for exactly that reason: consistency. Are there bands that do it better? Sure. Worse? Sure. Listening over these guys' catalog more, I'll certainly agree that I should brush up on my thrash.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

gently caress I never should have moved out of Baltimore :(

BUT! Big Business is playing a bar down the street tomorrow for $10, it will own.

Also Mgla kicks rear end, I had Groza on yesterday. The Poles do not gently caress around with their BM.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What are some more bands like Mgla and Taake that just do that kind of formulaic 90s norwegian stuff, but do it well? In both Mgla and Taake's case I really like the production, too.

Craft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfKsP4hp13I

Hades Archer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_cOY5o91x8

Can't go wrong with Szron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rw07W3gKwc

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Morbid Florist posted:

Not the song I'd have picked from this album but it's all I can find on youtube. The Mark of Death album rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApiStBDfdYc

This is loving nasty, just picked up the cd for $5.10.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

aliencowboy posted:

Have there been any good speed/crust/thrash albums with lyrical themes of mutants, nuclear waste, atomic holocaust, et al. in the past year or two?

Dust Bolt!

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

TeamJesus posted:

It's exactly what I hoped it would be. Passion was a bit of a let down, but this slays.

I haven't listened to it yet, but that's good news.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Defleshed posted:

Skeletonwitch was pretty damned cool last night and I recommend if they are coming to your town you go see them.

They are and I am! They've got Red Fang supporting for one(?) show, and it's that one.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Oldstench posted:

Basically, if Kerrang! tells me it's good, I'm a fan.

For me it's Sam Dunn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

QPZIL posted:

Yellowgoat is stupidly good

Yes this.