Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hot Diggity! posted:

The new Ghost album is very fun and brings back the rock sax, so it's good, to me.

Speaking of that, can anyone at all help my friend and I figure out why the gently caress the piano riff in Pro Memoria that shows up around 1:08 sounds so loving familiar? It's driving us crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

This thread can be good times though, it’s just difficult to tune out the dumb gatekeeping elitism. It’s unfortunately pretty universal in metal.

Metal is the dumbest genre* for this and other reasons, but i still like it

*except maybe anything blueslaywers like

e:

Flinger posted:

re:ghost gigs
sold out crowd of normies shouting "hail satan" is great and satan is real and my friend

it's such a funny/good chorus

literally just tobias forge prompting the crowd and they all shout HAIL SATAN as loud as they can

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 3, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also I firmly believe that everyone should just listen to whatever the gently caress they want. I like poppy riffs, goofy lyrics about satan, and am an absolute sucker for keyboards so I like Ghost, but other people dislike a linear combination of those things so they don't.

I vaguely worry that the weird PURITY thing about metal is what attracted nazis to it but :thunk:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Of all the embarrassing bands I like Ghost is actually one of the better ones :shobon:

I actually listened to/own Christopher Lee's extremely terrible album about Charlemagne, for one thing

It's real loving bad you guys but I like listening to the late Christopher Lee say/sing things

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

flirty dental hygienist posted:

That instrumental with the Swedish name is about Hell's Window, I think that's the translation, which are the dresses that women started to wear in medieval times that were open on the sides. Basically it's about side boob

Funny if true

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Personally I prefer to see Pit Aikido, love those throws

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

is hm-2core still a thing?

have people not moved on to metalzonecore by now?

That won't ever really happen, it's the same thing that makes wealthy law partners blow 20k on custom gibsons and Marshall replicas with period correct tolex, just a couple decades off

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

(Also, they're called Hoth and their logo looks like a Tie Fighter)

Hear that? That's the sound of Disney lawyers mobilizing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I somehow pulled off a good ticket through ticketmaster but that must have been a mix of pure luck and no one caring about Wilkes-Barre

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

H13 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKlVYJTSzuU

GLORY.
HAMMER.

I really really want to hate this because it's so stupid and cheesy and ridiculous, but goddamnit it's so fun and stupid and cheesy and ridiculous that it's impossible to hate this.

My current hobby is watching people who don't know what they're getting into react to gloryhammer videos

Also I think it was kilometers Davis who said that the great thing about power metal is that it's the exact opposite of whiney and it's true

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm not sure. What would you call "goth metal, but fast"?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

Amazing how many songs even on SA's first album are about being broken up with. Tony's been about whining in PM since the very beginning.

Like their most standard power metal song is probably like wolf and raven and he loving hates that song. Sometimes I don't think he actually likes the entire genre group he plays in that much.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's harder to find metal that ISN'T happy, imo

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i sent that article to a friend of mine who is a career navy man, and he replied with "man, you don't know how accurate that article is."

it's 50/50 a mustang or a fully loaded giant pickup truck and it's always at an absurd and terrifying interest rate to the point that the car is deep into 6 figs by the time it would be paid off

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I started with thrash and then some power metal and like melodic black metal or w/e you'd call Insomnium

I still really like power metal because it's so dumb that it always puts a smile on my face

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Nordick posted:

This was the first power metal song I ever heard and it made me absolutely lose my loving poo poo blaring out of a lovely boom box off an old worn out c-tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOi-UoGDINE

like I'd heard some Megadeth and stuff through my friend before that, but nothing had really clicked. When this came on it was like flipping a goddamn switch. "Metalhead mode: OFF -> ON"

Speaking of Helloween, here's a song that I didn't like for a long time until one day I suddenly loved it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wZubwEOUm8

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Popular Human posted:

Nanowar is apparently switching from being a cheesy power metal parody band to being a cheesy pop band? I'm not sure; this could legitimately be a bit I don't understand.

https://www.nanowar.it/nanowar-changes/

I want to say it's a bit but that doesn't mean it won't result in at least one actual song

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Sometimes I think about how "lmao this owns" is basically the unifying spirit of metal

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

very happy overall with angus mcsix

it's 100% formula but sometimes that's what you want

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah it's basically "i wanted to hear him sing goofy lyrics" and he's a fun studio vocalist for sure.

He seemed okay on the couple videos of the same performance of master of the universe that i saw on youtube but standard show to show variance and it's harder to tell on a phone video caveats apply on that

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

a new gloryhammer popped up on youtube and against my better judgement i clicked it and man that new singer just isn't in the right band for his voice, is he

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

remigious posted:

New Gloryhammer is extremely cringe to me. Especially knowing that the band is full of racist misogynists. I simply cannot give them another chance.

yeah I felt bad knowing about it when clicking but wow his voice is just wrong for it.

also lol the way i originally learned about everything was when their very first song with him dropped and i listened to it and was like what the gently caress is with tom's voice and went down the rabbit hole

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

If I were to say best overall, I'm a shameless Powerwolf stan do I'd go with Atilla/Karsten but Tom is really good.

I just think the guy they picked to replace Tom belongs in more of a Kamelot type band where they do things slower sometimes and generally more seriously than a fast and funny band.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Groke posted:

Yes, but on the other hand, This Godless Endeavour.

this IS the final product, a world in slow decay :hmmyes:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Monstaland posted:

For really lame lyrics i like to point at a pretty obscure band named Manowar

if you want to get meta-lame there's the manowar tribute song sabaton did that's entirely manowar song/album names/bits of lyrics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

frequently thinking about how solid a powerwolf album Blessed & Possessed is it's probably my favorite song for song