Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
e: i'm stupid

To make this post not entirely worthless, I listened to Rotten Sound's Cursed about five times last week. Came out half a year ago, but the album rips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

IRQ posted:

The problem with this statement is that you could do a few word replacements and it would fit basically every metal subgenre.

Get over yourself.

It's a slippery slope, but it's part of the trend of cramming genre's together in some stupid goddamn mishmash instead taking a natural development of sound.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I like grindcore because the older I get the shorter my attention span gets.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Mine is far, far worse, which is why I am not posting it. :) This thread saved me from Bad Metal, though (well, a previous incarnation of this thread did, many moons ago).

At least Moonsorrow is my #1 most listened band, by a good margin.

Mine was the best. I had last.fm when I was 13 before I had an Ipod, where I just listened to to single songs I downloaded off of Limewire instead of whole albums, so my top songs were all from when I was barely a teenager for the longest time. It wasn't until I was 18 that my top two songs weren't Dio - Holy Diver and Dragonforce - Soldiers of the Wasteland.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
So anyone listen to the new Anthrax yet? I'm not entirely sure I want to put myself through it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Misogynist posted:

Fistful of Metal is the only thing to listen to, really, but it goes without saying that S.O.D. left behind a much better legacy than Anthrax did.

Anthrax is pretty hit or miss, but every now and then, they'd just hit the best mosh riffs that I usually thought were more catchy than SOD. Among the Living and I am the Law are A+ mosh songs.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

henpod posted:

The new Devin Townsend video for Juular is...awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DKs0qfdEk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DKs0qfdEk

I feel like I'm watching a Nightmare Before Christmas outtake. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Uh...Elvis?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's punk, so I guess they're expected to live even shittier than the metal guys, but watching 55 year old Joey Shithead at a DOA gig in a small town in Canada play to like 50 kids at 12 bucks a pop made me realize just how committed some of these old school guys are to the lifestyle. No one makes it big in punk or metal, but seeing someone my dad's age still working at that level kinda weirded me out.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 18, 2011

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Gorilla Radio posted:

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/music/blogs/headbang-blog.aspx?feat=100db566-01e7-4dfd-9a46-4a744a92c4eb

Black Sabbath are getting back together with all the original members. New studio album? World tour? gently caress yes. I'm so excited to see them live.

Ozzy is the worst thing I've ever seen live, but I'd still go out and scream for em.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
In Canada, big fests and the like sometimes charge 40 bucks for their shirts and don't let artists undercut it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Pfft, it's all about Entombed-core these days.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Vintersorg posted:

HOLY poo poo ... he better come back to Winnipeg, fucker cancelled last time cause of his back.

poo poo, yeah I missed the Calgary show because of that too. That was forever ago. Has he toured since then? I can't think of seeing his name listed on any bills in a long time, and that's a long time to be out cause of an injury.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I don't know if it leaked already and I'm behind the times, but the new Darkthrone album is streaming today. IT'S PRETTY COOL.

http://www.terrorizer.com/2013/02/25/darkthrone-the-underground-resistance/

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

watt par posted:

Anybody else hear the new Sabbath track? Sounds like Be Forewarned-era Pentagram with Ozzy singing.

I'm listening to it right now. Yeah, these riffs are cool. Ozzy's voice is pretty lovely as expected, but at least it sounds less digital than most of his solo stuff. The lyrics are pretty lovely, I wonder who's writing them now that Ward's out?

E: Geezer's bassline at the end of the song rules.

In some respects I'd rather let their old catalog stand on its own rather than doing another album. I doubt I'll get too many plays out of it, but Iommi as a musician is pretty good about not embarrassing himself so I'm sure it'll have its moments.

I can get behind this.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 19, 2013

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Well, then Ozzy would have to try and sing something that he didn't record, or maybe even something with more than an octave vocal range and that never ends very well.

I'm happy to see em make music again, and normally I'm not a curmudgeon telling old bands not to write new songs. But when there's a thirty five year gap between your last studio tracks recorded together and your new ones it might be time to leave it be.

I'd imagine the album's gonna be pretty listenable, but no one's looking to hear new music. Like I'm curious, and I guess it's a good reason to go on tour but every new song the could play could be replaced by something that's classic and I'd be more excited.

Ozzy's the worst live act I've ever seen but I'll probably see em if they come near me because I've never had the chance to see the original Sabbath lineup.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Halligan posted:

Was this a factor of his age or the fact that he's never been all that great as a singer in your experience? I've always thought his vocal quality degraded over the years and this was only amplified by the fact that he was always stressing it in the first place.

Both. I think you're right on. Ozzy's voice worked great with Sabbath's music but it never really stood on its own, and non-techinical singers tend to have their voices degrade a lot faster than people who know what they're doing.

I think he announced retirement in about 1991 and in retrospect that would have probably been about the right time for it.

And if he can shamble up on stage with Iommi and Butler and mumble out NIB I'll be there cause I'm a sucker.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I've never listened to Manilla Road. Which album should I start with?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Real excited to see Goatwhore/Black Breath on tuesday. Them + Ringworm is a real 'no posers allowed' kinda bill.

I saw Goatwhore approximately a million times as a teenager in the mid-2000, most of the time attached to a bill with some lovely scenecore band also on it. I know I'm like 5 years late and pointing out the obvious but as someone who grew up during the primetime of pop metalcore it feels slightly weird seeing a tour where I'm down with every band on it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Finally finishing up school this April and thinking about going to MDF to celebrate. I know this is a totally unpredictable arbitrary question, but how long do you think I have till it sells out? AKA how long do I have to try and convince friends to come to Baltimore with me before I give up and just buy poo poo for a solo vacation for myself? Thinking of going all in for the 4-day pass.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Fermented Piss posted:

It's gonna take a while. No one is very excited about the lineup. In years past the 4 day passes would have sold it in hours.

Yeah it's not like 2012 where I saw the lineup and wanted to kill myself because I couldn't go, but I've never been and I finally have the time + money to go and there's still a bunch of poo poo I want to see so I figure now's the time. I can go check off the grindcore/powerviolence resurgence bands they got that don't cross the Canadian border before their next inevitable explosion.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Saw Eyehategod play last night. Great set. Drove down from Canada for eight hours to see them and it was absolutely worth it. They played forever. Mike Williams is.... something else. He seemed incredibly hosed up, but I dunno how much of that was just him being in the zone for performance and how much was some drug cocktail. Maybe both. He was on point for the songs though.