Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

co199 posted:

Fun thing about Stormwarrior is that Kai Hansen either performed or produced on their first two albums, so it's no surprise they sound like Helloween. The German power-metallers stick together, eh?

I thought their second one was a decent listen too. It's no masterpiece sure but makes fun highway music. This latest one is boring though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Houseplant posted:

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but for those of you who live in the States and missed Arkona the first time around, they are coming back with Paganfest 2012:

Turisas, Alestorm, Ex Deo, Arkona, Huntress

Thu 3/29 - Baltimore, MD @ Sonar
Fri 3/30 - Worcester, MA @ Palladium
Sat 3/31 - New York, NY @ Gramercy Theatre
Sun 4/01 - Montreal, QC @ Club Soda
Mon 4/02 - Toronto, ON @ The Opera House
Tue 4/03 - Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
Wed 4/04 - Detroit, MI @ Blondie's
Thu 4/05 - Chicago, IL @ Reggie's Rock Club
Fri 4/06 - Saint Paul, MN @ Station 4
Sat 4/07 - Louisville, KY @ Vernon Club
Sun 4/08 - Charlotte, NC @ Tremont Music Hall
Fri 4/13 - Denver, CO @ Summit Music Hall
Sun 4/15 - Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
Mon 4/16 - Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre
Tue 4/17 - San Francisco, CA DNA Lounge
Wed 4/18 - West Hollywood, CA @ Key Club

Wish tremont wasn't such a dump, but I'll be tempted for this.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

co199 posted:

I'm going to get crucified for this, but my top metal album of 2011 was Arch Enemy's, namely because I've got really bad taste. It's the album I've listened to the most, though. The solo on Under Black Flags We March is great.

Nordick posted:

Well I'll join ya on the cross then, because I loving love Arch Enemy to bits. Although, the new album didn't quite grip me despite being certainly good. Rise of the Tyrant is loving kickass though.

I want to like this album. Under Black Flags especially is catchy, but the lyrics (yeah, yeah who listens to metal for the words) are really annoying.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 22, 2011

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

QPZIL posted:

No loving way, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Oh my god it's a Saturday too... LIFE RULES SO HARD RIGHT NOW.

:allears: this will be glorious.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

QPZIL posted:

That tour is coming to Charlotte, NC on May 10th and I can't wait.

Welp that's two trips up there in my future

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Iced Earth & Symphony X are touring all spring I think?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Paganfest stopping in Charlotte on Easter? How can I say no to that?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Sigh definitely isn't what I was expecting.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Nordick posted:

Them being so frantic and all over the place and enormously overblownly melodramatic is exactly why I find them so hilariously fun to listen to.

This is exactly why I still listen to them now and then. I get a little tired of the OMGFASTER guitar solos but onstage they're (or were, at least) energetic and amusing and clearly having a fun time.

I could be mistaken but I think the time I caught them the keyboardist was having issues so we got an interlude of Herman and Sam loving around with the audience while Vadim noodled furiously on the keyboards till he was satisfied it was fixed.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Yeah, I may have been the oldest person at that show who hadn't brought a kid.

Y'all laugh if you want but windows down on the highway and blasting Primal Fear is the best.

Edit: let's add Heathen to that statement too just because.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 6, 2012

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Deakul posted:

I'm looking for some industrial / thrash metal with clean vocals.

Any recommendations? I like Fear Factory, Annihilator, Sabaton, old Metallica, and Maiden to name a few.

I'll go ahead and say Heathen since I'm listening to them right now. I think Warbringer's vocals are clean-ish too.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Carl Seitan posted:

Meh. Watching a bunch of dirty looking rednecks head bang was the worst part of that

That could accurately sum up my attempt to go see Obituary a couple years ago

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I wonder if music to play on a 9 hour drive is a legit moving expense :sigh:

Smile.jpg, I find myself thinking that about a lot of bands I listen to, that can't be a good sign.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Check out Blind Guardian if you haven't already, probably my favorite clean vocals band.

Edit: seconding Bjorn's suggestions, also I mentally classify Primal Fear as being in the spirit of Judas Priest et. al, so give them a try too.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 19, 2012

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

IRQ posted:

It's pretty goddamn awesome being there. You should try to see them live at least once to experience it.

I saw them in Charlotte after Twist in the Myth, which granted was a long time ago, but they blew me away. Dunno if this is normal behavior but I was not expecting And Then There Was Silence at a live gig :black101:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Kjorteo posted:

The thing about Blind Guardian live is that they can make you believe that they care about their fans, even when they really don't have to.

Yeah, they played to a house that was only about 2/3 full, believe it was during the week during the school term, that didn't help attendence, but Hansi was still really into it and really gracious :3:

Nordick posted:

So I was just introduced to Falls of Rauros and holy poo poo this stuff is immense and beautiful. Just check it out, especially if you like Agalloch and other such atmospheric black metal stuff.
Also wanna mention that the album has some of the best production I've heard in ages. The sound is just so loving crisp and clear. Love it.

I'm gonna buy that album first thing when I get some money on my bank account, these guys deserve some drat support.

To my amusement black metal somehow manages to out-elf all other subgenres when it comes to cribbing names from Tolkien.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 22, 2012

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

QPZIL posted:

I hate Agalloch's logo. It looks like something a 9th grader would scribble in his notebook at school as a logo for his "band" that consists of him and his friend that just got a drumset for his birthday.

There were a couple on those posters several pages back that looked like they'd been scanned right off notebook paper

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Looks like the closest Moonsorrow and Tyr (and Korpiklaani but meh) are getting to me is Peabody's in Cleveland. I'd love to see them but 10 hours drive :(

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Qu Appelle posted:

Apparently, Wintersun is now on tour. In the US. I want to go just for curiosity's sake.

Gonna have to drive forever but I'm gonna see this if it kills me

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Vintersorg posted:

3/20 - Cincinnati, OH @ Bogart's

A metal tour stopping in Cinci. Finally.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

QPZIL posted:

I'm selling all my black band t-shirts if anyone wants a basic metal starter kit \ :) / - there's no reserve or anything, I'm just trying to get rid of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300878258132

Now I can wear something besides my Death shirt at the gym. :neckbeard:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Some goons posted:

Mortillery

:aaa: I need more of this, perfect music for listening to in the car this time of year.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Actually mostly this thread and the corresponding doom and black metal ones.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

TeamJesus posted:

Does anybody else have particular bands they rediscover occasionally and proceed to listen to nothing but for weeks on end?

I find it happens to me with Benighted and Ghoul.

Blind Guardian, Darkthrone, Stormwarrior.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

nerve posted:

Really? You really don't see who a band fronted by a woman dressed like this

Might be marketed towards?

When I saw them with Turisas the only thing more awkward than the line of greasy guys who wanted their photo with Jill was the frequency they'd just faux-covertly take one of her.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Hah, I made a comment in that vein about a tribal tattoo last night watching UFC.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

^^^ I didn't realize any songs were available yet! Can't wait on my copy to arrive.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Kill 'Em All came out exactly 30 years ago today. I feel old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KemoHBBTdPc

It came out about 20 days after I was born :grandpa:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Chill Callahan posted:

Can anyone recommend some good thrash stuff like this? I've been listening to this EP on repeat and it's getting a bit tired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zPSbJUmBeM

That immediately makes me think of Joel Grind: http://youtu.be/qjxUXPDeEPA

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Occasionally between you guys and Spotify's Discover feature I find a band that makes me feel like I've been missing out for a long time.

Today's exhibit A: The Crown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAkjZIpLnzs

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Just got to Columbus, guess I'm going to see Wintersun and Fleshgod on a stage the size of a couple picnic tables :getin:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

shock.wav posted:

I've been loving everything by Warbringer and Havok

Are there any other newer thrash bands I should know about?

I'd throw Hatchet and Mortillery out there for sure, and Skeletonwitch aren't brand new but an A+ listen nonetheless if you're not familiar with them.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

nihil morari posted:

Everything they released is Gold Standard. So disappointing that they didn't continue on productively.

Anyone and Everyone needs to get the Three Neuron Kings EP, Back To Time Of Splendor LP, and the contentious Gloria LP (my personal favorite).

Catching up on recs in this thread; listening to Three Neuron Kings, incredible.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

IRQ posted:

Just so it doesn't hit you out of left field, Gloria is completely different from their prior work. It is also bad.

Yeah thanks for the warning but I had already...experienced it. The rest, particularly Three Neuron Kings I really enjoyed though.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

QPZIL posted:

I had to miss Watain on Saturday :'( I hate everything now.

Then again, I missed it so I could get married, so there's that.

On one hand congrats I guess, but on the other hand they slayed. I wasn't expecting tremont to put them on the small stage.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

edrith posted:

My sister dragged me to an Alestorm show the other day. Gypsyhawk probably would have been better if the lead wasn't very obviously drunk off his rear end, but they were fun. Trollfest are beautiful human beings and Alestorm are an instant cure for depression. Highlights were the Britney Spears cover and the weird dog song from Trollfest and Alestorm's Rugrats theme song cover.

I saw that group in Ohio, really really loved Trollfest.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Excellent. I caught Chthonic years and years ago, been itching to see them again.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Velocirocktor posted:

people who probably should be ashamed but are having too much fun to be.

It's not paganfest if half the crowd don't look like lost rennies.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

tor_blackblood posted:

Just got back from the Amon Amarth/Enslaved/Skeletonwitch show in San Antonio. Do yourself a favor and check this tour out if you can. All three bands put on a hell of a show.

I've embraced insanity and am seeing them consecutive nights in Charlotte and Norfolk :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Fingers McGee posted:

Amon Amarth show was canceled tonight, son of a bitch. Its like in 87 when I had tickets to the and justice tour, was going to be my first concert. We got over a foot of snow and my ride didn't want to drive the 2 hours in it. Only today its a half inch of sorta snow/ice. We must look like ridiculous pussies to the Swedes/Norwegians.

Yeah :( now I have to decide whether or not to take a punt and drive to Norfolk knowing that if it gets called tomorrow night it won't be until I'm basically there already. Anyone interested in 2 tickets @ face value for them tonight in Norfolk?

the yeti fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 30, 2014