Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

The new Opeth album cannot be discussed here since it's not metal.

brb, starting ?new? prog rock thread.

Based on the current trend, all metal is slowly devolving to is basic roots. In the year 2020, Mayhem will have successfully released their newest blues-rock album Death Kvlt (by way of Louisiana).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Gorilla Radio posted:

Can we execute every pirate metal band by firing squad? (Or hanging, I'm not sure which the navies used more to kill them.)

Either make them walk the plank or maroon them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ugh I am tired of seeing Mike Portnoy's constant advertising of Adrenaline Mob! The band isn't even that great...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I was browsing reddit this morning and I found a pretty cool upstart folk metal band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAF-fDivfj0&feature=related

They're called Aether Realm and they're out of Greenville, NC! (Just a state away from me!) I think the vocals stand out the most for me. Mid to high register death metal vocals but the enunciation is amazing. So far they just have a 2 song EP out, but the band looks extremely promising!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Well it does primarily fall under melodic death metal I suppose. I guess the folk elements are more prominent on their other track, "Ravensong".

I may not be the best judge of folk metal since the only two bands that I've listened to extensively in that genre are Vintersorg and Borknagar.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ip_Dt-yWbs
The true progenitors of viking metal...

BEHOLD THE HAMMEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

henpod posted:

The new Devin Townsend video for Juular is...awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DKs0qfdEk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DKs0qfdEk

What the gently caress did I just watch??? :psyduck:

Like I've never heard of Devin Townsend... It's... too much to process...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I still remember the time that I first heard Anesthesia in middle school which inspired me to pick up the bass guitar. While I never got quite as good as Cliff, I still crack a grin every time I hook up the wah pedal and distortion to my bass.

I'll have a drink in his honor tonight.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

fuf posted:

They might have already been mentioned but one of my favourite bands right now is Vektor.

They're full of awesome riffs like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSzKxOdxVJ4&t=4m21s

Also a UK band called Evile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=924bRfmiJ20

Seconding the Vektor recommendation. They're coming out with a new album pretty soon I believe. The band has an extremely tight sound considering the speed and complexity of their songs.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

See, whenever I saw Opeth in Atlanta a few weeks ago, there was never a pit that broke out. The only really notable thing was the crowdsurfing guy eating it hard on the stage and Mikael laughing for like 5 minutes while trying to sing Hex Omega. It was pretty awesome though, he had to keep telling the band to play the verse while he attempted to regain his composure.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hellwuzzat posted:

Vektor's Myspace says the release date for the new album, Outer Isolation, is November 22nd. Excitement.

:gizz: Oh God! :gizz:

I anticipate this album so much. Black Future was one of the best thrash releases in recent memory, and I hope this new album lives up to that.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Holy gently caress, I dislike AC/DC solely on the fact that all of their songs sound exactly the same! The guitar tone is abrasive as gently caress too.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

KingKapalone posted:

I did end up getting a good shot of me playing the part in my Gaahl costume at our work party. Wasn't even intentional.

Please tell me that you made prolonged eye contact with one of your coworkers and then uttered "Satan." after 2 or 3 minutes.

Also, I heard that Behemoth will be touring next spring. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Has anybody heard the alternate mixes of Storm of the Light's Bane by Dissection? I recently purchased a re-released version of the album on iTunes and I have to say I really enjoy the alternate mixes.

The songs are a bit more bass and drum heavy and I particularly enjoy the snare sound more than the original mixes. The guitar sound is a bit lighter mixed, but I think the over all tone is more clear.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Not to hate on merchchat but I don't really get buying shirts online. I only get 'em at shows. I figure it's kind of like a medal, like "Yeah, I've seen them". If you're wearing a shirt you ordered online, it's not saying anything other than "This is a band I like" which, who cares? At least with the show-bought shirt you have a story to go with it.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to acquire a "Tales from Topographic Oceans" shirt when Yes doesn't even tour anymore. :(

I usually buy shirts at the concert, but lately I've been just purchasing the tour shirts off eBay or something after seeing the band. It's hard to justify a $45 Heritage shirt in a small when I could get the same thing a few months later for $20.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

enojy posted:

Vektor's new album "Outer Isolation" comes out tomorrow for those of you who like progressive thrash, maybe even progressive black thrash? Pretty great, so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGicoRxP4a4

gently caress yes, been waiting so long for this!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Outer Isolation by Vektor has to be album of the year for 2011. If not that, then Thrash metal album of the year. I cannot get enough of this album, especially the closing track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUEN6Hkrc9M

Holy gently caress, go buy this album!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Honestly the only two Slayer albums that I actively enjoy are Reign in Blood and Seasons in the Abyss. Call me a fair weather thrash fan, but the other albums in their catalog just don't do it for me.

Anybody heard of any good tours coming to Atlanta, GA next year? I'm hoping Behemoth actually swing by the southeast, because that is one band I really want to see live.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Revol posted:

I want recommendations for metal bands that use keyboards.

My favorite artist is Devin Townsend, and my initial thought of his recent album Deconstruction was mixed. I was disappointed it wasn't quite as heavy as I was expecting. But it quickly grew on me. The album itself is good. While there are a few songs that I simply don't listen to, the ones I do make up for it. Especially the title track and the Mighty Masturbator. I'm loving obsessed with those two songs, I pretty much have to listen to them every single loving day.

I think what's really getting me with this album is the keyboard. It really adds a lot of flavor to the music. I want more. I need more.

I have one caveat. I have never been able to get into bands like Dream Theater because they are too.. melodic? I know I'm wrong in feeling this way. My life is less than it could be because I can't enjoy Dream Theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Too bad Ghost isn't playing anywhere near Atlanta or else I would have got a ticket. Unfortunately some of my friends are easily offended by the "Satanic" lyrics and I would have had to go alone. And they call themselves metal heads!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I know they're hard rock, but holy gently caress Van Halen is touring! With DIAMOND DAVE!!!

I am so totally at the Atlanta show on April 19th.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm listening to the remixes on a few Death albums and it's really hit or miss depending on which album. I personally think that Individual Thought Patters benefited more from its original mixing, however Human definitely sounds better now that you can hear DiGiorgio higher up in the mix.

My issue with a few old school death and thrash metal albums is that the mix is generally too treble heavy for me. It's not that I don't mind the guitar tone or anything, but either the vocals or the bass are completely mired down. It's for this same reason that I enjoy the alternative mixes on Storm of the Light's Bane. Every instrument sounds a bit clearer.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Incoherence posted:

Dragonforce became famous for a video that portrayed a dueling-guitar solo as the two guitarists playing a video game against each other. I don't think they're in much danger of taking themselves too seriously.

They still only have effectively one song after 4? albums, so I guess if you really, really love that song you should buy their albums and hear 20 variations on it?

Actually, they have 2 songs: Standard Dragonforce power metal and standard tripe ballad. 4 albums, ad nauseum.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Vintersorg posted:

IRON MAIDEN NA TOUR!!!

MAIDEN ENGLAND 2012 TOUR DATES:

21st June - Charlotte, NC - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
23rd June - Atlanta, GA - Aarons Amphitheatre
26th June - Boston, MA - Comcast Center
27th June - Wantagh, NY - Jones Beach
29th June - Philadelphia, PI - Susquehanna Bank Center
30th June - Washington, DC - Jiffy Lube Live
2nd July - Newark, NJ - Prudential Center
5th July - Chicago, IL - First Midwest Bank
8th July - Quebec, QC - Colisee Pepsi Arena
11th July - Montreal, QC - Bell Center
13th July - Toronto, ON - Molson Amphitheatre
14th July - Sarnia, ON - Bayfest
16th July - Buffalo, NY - Darien Lake Performing Arts Center
18th July - Detroit, MI - DTE Music Theatre
19th July - Indianapolis, IN - Klipsch Music Centre
24th July - Winnipeg, MB - MTS Center
26th July - Calgary, AB - Scotiabank Saddledome
27th July - Edmonton, AB - Rexall Place
29th July - Vancouver, BC - Pacific Coliseum
30th July - Auburn, WA - White River Amphitheatre
1st August - Salt Lake City, UT - USANA Amphitheatre
3rd August - San Francisco, CA - Shoreline Amphitheatre
6th August - Phoenix, AZ - Ashley Furniture HomeStore Pavilion
9th August - Irvine, CA - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
12th August - Albuquerque. NM - Hard Rock Pavilion
13th August - Denver, CO - Comfort Dental Amphitheatre
15th August - San Antonio, TX - AT&T Center
17th August - Dallas, TX - Gexa Energy Pavilion
18th August - Houston, TX - The Woodlands

YES!!! I was so disappointed when they toured with Dream Theater and didn't come anywhere near Atlanta. Hopefully I will be able to secure that week for vacation.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

QPZIL posted:

Trick question.

The Duke Nukem Forever of heavy metal.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I really have a hard time believing that any power metal band takes themselves seriously. Sure, you can be proud of the musicality and complexity, but somewhere deep down in your mind, you realize that singing about dragons and elves is totally loving retarded loving awesome.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kevin Bacon posted:

Can't talk about Canada without mentioning Beyond Creation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MzAnRLfZOY&hd=1

Holy poo poo, buying this album now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

NarkyBark posted:

Guy's a monster, been in both Augury and Quo Vadis.

For those who like the style of music with fretless also check out Obscura as well.

There was a studio video of the bass player recording one of the songs from Beyond Creation and holy poo poo is he good. He blows DiGiorgio out of the water.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I don't think this video is the one you're talking about but it still owns bones.

6 string fretless :allears:

Actually, that's the one I was referring to! This guy has really impressed me.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I dunno, I started listening to tech death when I was in high school I guess because of the "holy gently caress, how can these guys play this?" factor. Then again, my favorite tech death band was Necrophagist and they haven't even put out an album in years, which may explain why I've grown weary of the genre. The last few pages of this thread reinvigorated my interest though.

Honestly, I've always been a fan of somewhat "technical" music, whether it be Yes or Dream Theater or Coroner. Might just be the whole progressive aspect of the music. I enjoy that stuff for different reasons than I enjoy "simpler" music.

As far as emotional response, I can get off just as easily on Peter Gabriel solo stuff than I can Behemoth. Personally I tend to get a better emotional reaction when I can kind of understand what the artist is trying to do with a particular song. Sometimes this takes multiple listens or even revisiting the album to wrap the music around my head. So I guess in the base level, understanding the music helps me connect with it, so to speak.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

henpod posted:

Someone posted this in the Youtube thread in GBS. Thought you guys might enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QbAXXXOJF8

My head. It Hurts.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Zodijackylite posted:

If you don't like music from Sweden, you could always listen to dudes from Michigan singing about Thor, because Enchanter are awesome. There's not much that builds up like this song, the ending is huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Rfzl0cFQg

Comedy option: Listening to a band named Thor sing about Thor's hammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ip_Dt-yWbs

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I seem to recall there being an "unblack" metal band called Horde that was basically Christian BM...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Trees and Squids posted:

In a time
when dinosaurs walked the Earth

Join my quest for fire!

That was probably the weakest song on Piece of Mind, but I still enjoy it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Let me introduce
My brother
A bearded gentleman
Historian
Sucking on his pipe
Distinguished accent
Making me uptight
No accident

Petrucci!:catstare:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I heard some Agalloch on Pandora the other day, and I like what I heard. What is the best intro album to buy from those guys?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just completed the first spin of Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch. I have to say, I loving love this album right from the first listen! I'll probably expand into the rest of their discography in the next coming weeks.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

"We're like Pantera, only fatter!"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Quickly, give me a good Armored Saint intro album. I have a sudden urge to go 80s era metal this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

After I turned the legal drinking age, I basically said "gently caress it" to pits.

Frank Caskelot posted:

I hope it's ok that I put this here.

My band, Ever Circling Wolves, just put out a new track, which we recorded live in studio during the drum sessions for our upcoming album. Listen to it on our soundcloud page, if death/doom/sludge rattles your fancy.

Pretty solid groove and good sound quality for being recorded live. I think it sounds pretty good!

Vargatron fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 17, 2012