Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nordick posted:

What about the ones like me, who shamelessly listen to even the poppiest, cheesiest gimmick stuff but still sneer at Ghost, because Ghost is really boring?

Try watching them live. They were an absolute blast at Copenhell yesterday, they were just enormous. Both heavier and more dynamic than on the albums.

I mean, Primordial and Nuclear Assault were still the best concerts for me overall, but that may have been because NA were the coolest dudes ever at the signing session afterwards. Thrash metal royalty, for real :swoon:

E: And I have to second/third/whatever the thanks for recommending Tengger Cavalry. Totally awesome stuff.

E2: And gently caress you, I still like post-Digimortal Fear Factory :colbert:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kilometers Davis posted:

Maiden has great production. You can actually hear the instruments and playing dynamics and they understand managing sonic space. The worst thing about 99% of modern metal is the horrible production.

"Bass guitar? What bass guitar?"

See also clicking kick drums.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just bought a literal drum & bass album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7TXEvUjCzI

E: And also the self-titled debut album by Piss Vortex, on "piss yellow vinyl" because why not?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 26, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

henpod posted:

Ok this is pretty awesome, you guys should click this. Raw and energetic as hell.

There are recording session videos for all the tracks from the "Flesh Hammer" album. It was all recorded in the band's non-airconditioned rehearsel room over five fays in the middle of an unexpectedly hot summer, and you can see the drummer getting more and more frantic through the sessions. He starts out looking reasonably collected, with combed-back hair and he seems pretty focused. By the end, he's a sweaty mess with hair in his face, looking like a madman.

Basically from this, to this.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

henpod posted:

Haha, yeah I did notice that he was down to his boxers at the end there. Is the audio the same there as it is in the studio versions? I love how the drums sound.

Either way I'm going to throw my money in the hat and buy the album.

I think so, either way they're on Bandcamp so you can hear for yourself: https://fossilsmusic.bandcamp.com/album/flesh-hammer

It's available on CD and LP as well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Totally going.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Vintersorg posted:

Lemmy looking a little too skinny IMO. :(

If you want to catch Motörhead live, you better act fast. Lemmy ain't gonna last for much longer.

Although he does actually sound better on the tracks I've heard from the latest album, compared to how he sounded on Aftershock.

Dude from lovely band doesn't like popular band's music, film at 11.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Furism posted:

Oh, yeah, Slayer, what a poo poo band! :smug:

Slayer was great once, but they've been irrelevant for a long time now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

On the other hand, I enjoy (most of) the newer Fear Factory albums and I think Digimortal is one of their best albums, only Demanufacture and Obsolete are better.

Take that as you will.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DeusExMachinima posted:

Has there ever been a band that stayed 'relevant' in terms of their new releases for 30+ years in metal? Honest question.

Motörhead :colbert:

I get your point though. It's just that the whole "old fuddy-duddy from once-great band doesn't like new band's sound" is so typical and played out by now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

How about Mastodon? Especially if you take their albums in reverse order, you go from hard prog to sludge and from clean vocals to shouty growly vocals.

And then move on to harder/more dissonant stuff from there.

Personally, I found Behemoth to be one of the easier extreme metal bands to get into, probably because they actually know how to write great songs and don't sound like they record on a worn-out Fisher Price tape recorder in an empty oil drum.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 8, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Limp Bizkit and Slipknot got me into metal :negative:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Klaaz posted:

I was always surrounded by music like Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd and Deep Purple

Oh yeah, this was definitely me as well. My parents used to play in a rock band in the 70s, and my dad plays the drums in a small-time cover band he started ~10 years ago. There's always been plenty of music around me, from the Beatles, Procol Harum, Pink Floyd, Cream, Dire Straits, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple etc. to classical, folk, musicals, all kinds of music, though mostly rock.

I just didn't get into metal until my teenage years, and that was mostly an attempt at youthful rebellion, which is kinda hard when your parents actually dig stuff like Motörhead, I guess that's why I got into lovely nu-metal at first.

My parents have made me promise that when we eventually put them in a retirement home, we'll find one with good soundproofing and install the biggest gently caress-off stereo ever, so they can play Deep Purple loud enough to penetrate their tinnitus and hearing loss and crack the walls :rock:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 10, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

First album, or first metal album? Because I sure as hell can't remember the very first album I ever bought.

First metal album was Slipknot's debut, though. Maybe that was actually the first album I bought for myself, now that I think about it. Then came Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water and Iowa. Limp Bizkit was the band to like at my school, which made me kinda popular for a couple of months.

But then a year or so later later I bought Secret of the Runes, Demanufacture and Obsolete and things started looking up :buddy:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 10, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was watching this series of TV-shows with tons of music and clips of TV from the 80s, and there was this great interview with a teeanger in a record store, circa 1985. He was looking through heavy metal LPs and they asked him what he was looking for.

"Basically anything that looks really evil. You know, demons and skulls and chains. That's how you know you've got the good stuff" :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Machine-gun drumming and riffs combined with lyrics about losing humanity to the machines? Oh yeah, that's unmistakably a Fear Factory track.

You can accuse them of many things, but they've certainly carved out a niche for themselves. I like it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That just isn't a very good look for a 46-year-old :( But damnit, Fear Factory just speaks directly to the cyberpunk-obsessed teen in me.

Anyway, Gloryhammer's new album "Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards" is available for pre-order. It's the cheesiest of all super-cheesy power metal, but just look at that cover art :allears:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 11, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

One of my friends is very into Babymetal for some unfathomable reason. I feel like this is the logical continuation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8-vje-bq9c

vvvv :allears:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 11, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

funeral fag posted:

you keep posting fear factory in this thread, I keep posting screenshots of youtube comments. gently caress you

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hide-youtube-comments/kehdmnjmaakacofbgmjgjapbbibhafoh

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Clit Avoider posted:

This is just metally deficient garbage.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Absolutely seconding Amon Amarth, all of their uptempo songs are perfect for working out (and dangerous for driving).

If you don't get a huge throbbing viking-boner when listening to this song, you are dead inside:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfcTbK-U1YQ

But I have to say the Sabaton cover is suitably epic as well, and I'm not sure whether growling or rolled 'R's work best for it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZrCQFSkLcE

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nordick posted:

For some less deathy stuff, Grand Magus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01HKzJyXZOg

I love Angry Metal Guy's review of this album:

quote:

The album standout to these ears is the title track, which smashes together “Iron Will” and “Son of the Last Breath” for a real storm-bursting slab of metal with more heart than the Mayo Clinic on National Organ Donation Day.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's just your average run-of-the-mill elistism speaking. Somehow the "real metal fan" hivemind has decided that The Sword is a bad band, because they're "too popular" or "rip off Sabbath" or "not slamming brutal black/death/grind enough".

In other words, only goons sitting in their lonely basements care that much about hating bands.

All the rest of us just enjoy the music.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A human heart posted:

I don't think anyone you're describing here actually exists. Perhaps some people simply don't like this band's music?

And that's fine, of course taste is subjective.

But when people start talking about how some band only got big because of overpromotion and how their favorite underground darlings are soooo much better, that's when it veers into elitism.

And these people definitely exist. Read comments sections on metal news sites. Actually no, please don't.

You can just read through this thread at what people write about Ghost. Not heavy enough, too much clean singing, too theatrical, too popular etc.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 15, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Defiant Sally posted:

High on Fire. Any album really.

Seconded so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHgdJRNFa00

Old-school thrash metal is also a perfect choice for working out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_c3GBrWsao

Basically anything with a hard driving beat and plenty of aggression.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 16, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

I can't remember if anyone said this dropped or not but here is the new Tenggar Calvary from a few months ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve-qHdxsF4Q

It was mentioned and all agreed that it loving owns, but it absolutely doesn't hurt to bring it up again.

Mongolian Black Folk Metal. What a world we live in.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hulk Krogan posted:

Torture Division put all their stuff up for free on their website, apparently.

http://www.torturedivision.net/downloadgraphy

They seem like pretty rad dudes.

quote:

The “small” print

Since we give you our music for free we ask for the following: Download the covers, print your own cd’s, sell them, give them away, upload them to various music blogs and trackers. Just spread it the best way you can so The Torture gets out there. If you manage to actually sell some copies, keep the profit and buy yourself a beer or 5 – just inform us about any eventual sales.

One more thing: If you have a label and you want to release these fantastic recordings, we need to work out a deal. You print it, you sell it, and we share the profit 50/50. There, we just worked out the deal for you. So, go ahead. The music is yours. Make something good with it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shipping to Denmark was €10, nearly as bad. But I threw in a couple of Witch Mountain and Orchid LPs that I didn't have already to even it out.

henpod posted:

If we're posting new Ghost, this one sounds pretty awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rTA6rA3p_c

I love Papa's stage act, he pulls off the roman catholic preacher vibe quite well.

E: Here's another one off the new album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOrXKiSy8ZY

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 19, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Groke posted:

Black Sabbath did it first.

♫ Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses ♫

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I tried doing that, but my MANLY BEER GUT makes it bulge and stretch, which just looks even worse.

Just let your gut hang out, festival style.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

VVimpy

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Vests with just a few well-chosen patches on them can look awesome, but I'm more into heady maximalism, puzzling around patches to optimize placement and fitting as many patches as possible on there.

I love the completely crazy German-style vests, where you can't even tell there's denim underneath, it's just an big overlapping field of patches on patches.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

+1 for Speedwolf, and another +1000 for the Predator patch.

This is back of mine. I've actually restitched it with black thread, as I felt the white thread distracted from the patches' designs. I've redone a few parts way too many times at this point.

This is the current layout I'm putting on the front left part. I've just gotten a big-rear end Death patch that is going to take up most of the right side, depending on how I can make it fit with the smaller ones.

I'm sticking with a monochrome theme on this one, only red and white logo patches, no album covers or that sort of thing. My old blue vest will be getting a German-style in your face color explosion makeover once I'm done with this one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I liked Rats, very 80s. Haven't heard the new one, but I guess it's hard to top their first three albums, especially with all the BS that went on between Papa and the Ghouls.

Vintersorg posted:

We can only dream of leveling up to this:

The Germanest German who ever Germaned.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Snowy posted:

I like to play “spot the out of place patch” at shows. You’ll see dudes covered in thrash patches or whatever but there’s often just one Alice In Chains or Doors patch hidden in there somewhere.

I'm gonna put my Boston patch right next to the Cattle Decapitation patch.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

tote up a bags posted:

I thought y'all were joking about your patches but I'm proud of you guys for eschewing traditional gender roles and learning how to cross stitch.

Cross stitch is the original pixel art.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Apparently a Tyr concert in Portland is being protested over their support of...whaling

Some Sea Shepherd/other whale huggers managed to get a few of their shows canceled in Germany in 2016.

Other than that, it mostly amounted to Facebook whining.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i really dig death metal with obnoxious pinch harmonics. give me the most pinch harmonicy death metal you got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxSmsfFCNxA

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fenrir posted:

No Mental Mercury? Whaaat?

I guess they don't do that one live.

I'm not seeing To the Mountains, either :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dimebags Brain posted:

After being terrible, the fact that [Van Canto] cheat and have a real drummer is their biggest crime.

It would have been so obvious to have someone beatbox, but nope. They had to suck and be boring instead.

I want to hear beatboxed double bass drum and blastbeats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Trip report: Sleep.

The concert was played in the absolute best location; Freetown Christiania, Denmark, aka the 420 smoke weed erryday stoner capital of northern Europe. Everyone was stoned out of their loving gourds and drunk as gently caress before the show even started, and it only descended into further sweaty depravity from there.

It was perfect.

(And the kebab joints in the area must have sold like 10x more than usual after the concert)