Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I'm looking for some recommendations. Most of what I listen to now is Iron Maiden, Rammstein, with bits of Dio, Megadeth, Metallica, and Black Sabbath. I prefer clean vocals and dislike growling. Skimming the thread Blind Guardian seems like a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I have finally caught up to the end of this thread over the last few months. Thanks for all the links, not sure how I would have discovered many band's existence otherwise. I tried to click most of them or at least put interesting things on a list for later. That list got quite long so I'm now looking trying to narrow down a bit.

Stuff I am listening to now:
Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden, Unleash the Archers, Judas Priest, Mystik
some Black Sabbath, Dio, Doom soundtrack, and bits and pieces of various bands I usually like only a couple songs of.

Things that I am looking for recommendations about:
-more power metal, maybe leaning a bit darker?
-There was a good amount of the Black and some Death metal stuff posted I liked the sound of but I just can't get into harsh vocals. If there is a subgenre of Black metal without shrieking I might be into that but don't know if that exists or is just not considered black metal. I came across a Dimmu Borgir concert on youtube with choir/orchestra that seemed decent, though I get the impression that was less black (for lack of a better term) than most black metal I tried.
-Symphonic elements are good additions but plain Symphonic metal as a genre hasn't given me anything interesting yet.
-I noticed I like bands/covers with female vocalists, excluding harsh vocals or opera vocals which I dislike, which doesn't seem to leave too many.
-Doom metal that leans towards the above stuff might be worth a shot. I tried some from a post while working and realized after a while I felt it was good but couldn't give a reason why or recall any of it standing out from the rest. Not sure if I liked it or it was just better than silence as background.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I noticed Unleash the Archers only has 4 members in the new videos and on wikipedia they don't have a bass player listed (and seem to drop them often). I don't know much about band compositions so I am curious if not having a bass player is a thing or if there is one but unofficial or prerecorded for some reason.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

MrBling posted:

Bass players and drummers are like cats. Sometimes they run away and it takes a little while to replace them, because you think they might return.
I would think you would get one before writing/releasing a new album if you were going to have one was my thought.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Lots of bass players and drummers get work as session or touring musicians rather than full time band members. Blind Guardian didn’t have a bass player after Hansi dropped it and just used hired guns afterward, for example. If there’s no bass at all, you’ll notice.
In retrospect that makes more sense and it would be awkward to tour with either old songs written with a bass and no player or have a bass player and newer songs just have them stand around. Their other albums they had a bass band member which is what made me question it so now I am wondering how often it happens and I just didn't notice. I didn't notice Blind Guardian either for example. I guess I wouldn't without seeing them live a couple times.