Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

I can't stop listening to Kvist's For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike. What are some other bands that sound like them? Melodic black metal I guess is what this is called.
Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

I'm listening to Stíny Plamenů - Ve špíně je pravda and drat this album fuckin' rips. Are their other albums this good? Who else might I like? Where can I actually buy these albums?

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

What's some good heavier power metal that has shorter songs? I find myself liking random power metal songs well enough, but they're usually too long and overstay their welcome.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

The Muppets On PCP posted:

just listen to some manilla road or slough feg

i can only do that so many times before i want to listen to something newer though..... gently caress it

LOST IN NECROPOLIIIIIS

Vintersorg posted:

Hell yes, that Clockworks tour was so goddamn good. Glad I caught them as it was the first time I ever saw them live.
I saw them in St. Louis back in 2012 on the clockwork angels tour and it indeed kicked rear end.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

slit your guts is still so drat good after all of these years

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

there's no legal way to buy megiddo's the devil and the whore except for buying a second hand cd, right? i'm not missing some obscure place i could buy a digital download?

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

Yeah my friends and I have used "bluecore" for a while to describe meloblack with Necrolord art of castles and skeletons and poo poo. It seems silly but if you know what it means you know exactly what you're in for.

What are some of the better, lesser known entries in this genre? it's my poo poo. i know all the big ones (dissection, in the nightside eclipse, etc.)

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

screaden posted:

Going back to JP metal for a sec Flatbacker is one of my favourites out of that scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TQZcbGD3Qo

Also later was basically the rhythm section for Loudness

holy hell what an album. first time in a while i've had a poo poo-eating grin on my face listening to a new (to me) band.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Any recommendations for bands that do the whole power metal w/ harsh vocals thing well? In theory that sounds like it should be my poo poo, but all the bands I've listened to that do it have left me cold.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

This rules.

That Ulthima album is sort of what I mean where it seems like I should like it, but it just doesn't interest me.

Thanks for the heads up on newer Satan's Host.

I'll listen to the other suggestions later

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

MrBling posted:

Here's something that would have been a fantastic band with I'm sure a fantastic album but instead we just get a really cool demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9M_4aW-RUo

This is 1980s american power metal at its finest. I've posted it once before, long ago but it deserves all the eyes and ears on it that it can get.

That owns

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

I wish Fleurety's Black Snow was available to buy/on something other than cassette.

It's on youtube, so there's that I guess.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

I'd love to see Immolation live but I doubt they come anywhere near missouri in the near future. :(

I wonder how likely they'd be to play Close to a World Below...

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

Late in the day new releases because I've been moving a bit. A chunk of these I'm sure have been mentioned today:
Bottomless, trad doom

This owns. The songs being shorter/punchier helps a lot.

Anything that sounds like this?

https://voidwomb.bandcamp.com/releases

I guess you'd call it death/black. Really good stuff.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

that sounds pretty good, thanks.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Gio posted:

lykathea aflame’s elvenefris

is it just me or did this album just kinda...disappear? i mean you can find copies on discogs or w/e but the only listing on amazon is a vinyl release from 2017 but there's no digital release anymore, no info on the band on metal archives, etc.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

drat middle period satan's host (archidoxes of evil through Power ~ Purity ~ Perfection...999) whips the llama's rear end. i've been sleeping on these for too long

Doctor Teeth fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 11, 2021

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

my entry in the very serious best power metal pissing contest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9M_4aW-RUo

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

for the record i wasn't making GBS threads on power metal, i genuinely do believe that brute force demo is some of the best power metal there is.

unrelated, i've been listening to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fK11OPuBsY]this Calyx album[/i] a lot recenlty (especially the songs Bosque muerto and La venganza de las brujas). It reminds me of someone, but I'm really bad at recognizing which artists remind me of which (aside from super obvious ones like Kvist and Deathspell Omega).

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

that cult of eibon album is some top tier rotting christ/necromantia worship

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

Those VH1 top 100 shows were always a fun watch, and Scott Ian clearly had nothing better to do any time they filmed one

i just assumed they filmed a bunch of them all at once, kinda like how they'll film a month of a game show in a day or w/e

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

what are some bands/albums similar to borknagar's album quintessence. i don't really like anything else in the borknagar discography

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

Friday new music day with some bands I really like

Ashes of Ares, uspm
The Ferryman on non-BC, pm
Abyssus, deathrash
Planeswalker, pm, not fully out

lmao at the Not Copyright Infringement We Swear rear end art for Planeswalker

Abyssus and Ashes of Ares kick rear end thanks for posting. Will check out the Ferrymen later.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

i don't understand why silence and winteheart's guild aren't available digitally

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

Friday new release day, I am not on vacation and remembered to do it edition:
Disfuneral, death metal

Which funeral??

this is good

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

Friday new release day:
Mirror, uspm

somebody forgot to hit the release album button. i like the preview song though

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Cynicus posted:

post your favourite camp metal song titles.

Envenom into the Witch's Hole

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

i saw on metal archives that sigh have a new album coming out in august. i hope it's mostly black metal focused

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

henpod posted:

Had the pleasure of seeing Amorphis last night. It was absolutely fantastic, they played flawlessly, the mix was great and the dude's vocals were amazing. Great growl and cleans. Really recommend seeing them if you can. Seeing Death of a King live was badass, that song slaps.

did they play much from karelian isthmus or tales from the thousand lakes?

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

does gravewurm count as caveman poo poo? i've been listening to them a lot lately

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

finally listened to in battle there is no law! (had to order it on discogs). it seems like it's the black sheep of the bolt thrower discography with how little you hear about it so i wasn't sure what to expect, but it rules.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

for bands that sound like arghoslent

https://grenadiernfld.bandcamp.com/releases

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

what are some bands/albums that sound like armoured angel? the mysterium EP especially, goddamn that one is special. the full length is good too

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

apparently kvist released a new instrumental for a peaceville anniversary compilation????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG_kffRy-QE

kinda tartaros-y

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

i'm listening to train of thought for the first time in like 15 years and i forgot that labrie tries to do the James Hetfield whoa-oh thing on As I Am and it's really funny

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

i sometimes forget that edge of sanity is more than just crimsons 1 and 2. the spectral sorrows and purgatory afterglow are good as hell.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

back when metal was mainstream and it and rock weren't deader than dead you'd for sure get earnest scumbags, junkies, jock-ish dudes, and in some cases normal dudes making metal. it's all beardos now though

i mean these guys were probably not beardos (or whatever term you'd use back then). their modern equivalents definitely are though.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

i never know what to make of metal archives active status since for example it lists brimstone (swe) as active but they've done nothing since carving a crimson career in '99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj6FVOcTCCQ

the bass drop at 2:13 is intended to put holes in your car speakers. and holes in your brain.

this poo poo loving rules

was not expecting bodak yellow