Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

H2Eau posted:

Haven't seen this posted in the last few pages - new Slough Feg demo went up, and it's absolutely killer.

Oh man, I'm stoked for this and their next album (right!?). The comment "Mindblaster heavy metal!!!" about sums it up.

I started reading The Children of Hurìn recently and it put me in the mood for Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth - any recommendations for more metal about Lord of the Rings & the Tolkien mythos? I've got a lot of Summoning and the Italian black metal band Nazgul (which I recommend, they're a bit weird and the vocals might not do it for you but I think they're great), but am drawing a blank on anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Nordick posted:

Battlelore. They're pretty cheesy at some points and have some dodgy female vocals, but they have good stuff. Most of their albums are LotR-themed afaik.

Haha I just put on an album by this band (Evernight) right before opening this thread. Had no idea they had anything to do with LotR but sometimes coincidences work out in your favor (and picking a random power metal album I have is probably likely to end up LotR related anyway). Thanks for the recs!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Lt Greatsocks posted:

Ok Mr. Metal nazi, sorry I brought it up. I don't read music publications so I take recommendations where I can get them. So if deafheaven ain't black metal why don't you recommend me some good poo poo?

quote:

Check out Ildjarn.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I dig Wormed's goofy sci-fi lyrics, Wikipedia sheds some light on their latest album -

quote:

Lyrically, Exodromos is a prequel of Planisphaerium; the story tells about futuristic science concepts and chaotic visions of the last human left in cosmos, Krighsu. These are particularly in relation to the awakening of the "Chrym" once the last humans of the year 8K, called the Terrax, disappeared, and the known universe was absorbed by a quantum wormhole in an inverted multi-vectorial reionization. Krighsu, will travel through xenoverses to found a new world with the human seed.

:awesomelon:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

here is a neat thing that came out yesterday, a collaboration between Skáphe and Wormlust

https://skphwrmlst.bandcamp.com/track/vaxv-ngir-vonar

pretty cool far out black metalish stuff

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

been listening to and liking Immortal Bird a lot so went back and revisited Woods of Ypres who I havent listened to in years. still good stuff but omg the lyrics are so bad

THE SUN WAS IN MY EYES

Immortal Bird is cool, listen to em

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Oldstench posted:

I'm not embarrassed to admit I'm a Bal-Sagoth fan. I also just found out that 3/5 of Bal-Sagoth just released an album under the name Kull with a new vocalist and, whoda thunk it?, it sounds like a new Bal-Sagoth album. And it rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suPj9ruBhY4

I learned about this today too after spinning Bal-Sagoth's first album on a whim. Kinda suspect Byron got bored of music and now writes his stories instead?

The world needs more sword n sorcery black metal

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ok y'all were right about Gloryhammer it's the funnest poo poo. reminds me of listening to Slough Feg's Traveller the first few times.

what else out there is that fun. I havent liked power metal this much since Edguy put out "Trinidad."

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Nordick posted:

The logical next step would be Christopher Bowes' other band, Alestorm. Instead of hilarious high fantasy nonsense, it's hilarious pirate nonsense. They're not parodying a whole genre like Gloryhammer does though, they're just generally self-awarely silly "folk" metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TKyNTwD3Yk

for sure Iistened to them a lot when the first album came out! "Captain Morgan's Revenge" is legit one of my fave songs ever. Never did listen to their follow ups tho so gonna do that.

how's new Falls of Raurus, I been waiting for this one. boutta listen and find out.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

I've seen a few discord friends call the new Falls of Rauros a work of art and by far the best release of the year. I'm sure it's pretty good.

yeah it's real freakin good. the songwriting is complex and the production is super crisp (thanks Colin Marston) and the whole thing has a really triumphant emotional feel.

saw a review that compared it to The Ocean and that's spot on, same kind of dynamics going on. they've really moved beyond the Agalloch-ish sound in the best way.

gonna wear my FoR shirt and get drunk at the metal bar tonight

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

While Tomb Mold's album may be one of the best albums that I expected to drop in 2019, this Ashbringer was one of the most unexpected... Where did this guy(s) come from? Minneapolis?!?! If you have a Agalloch or Panopticon itch, this will probably scratch it.

https://ashbringermusic.bandcamp.com

this is really fuckin great, thanks! listened to their first album which was ok, this new one's a big step up.

definitely very very Panopticon-esque. I'm ok with the direction USBM is taking!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Edguy - Trinidad is the best power metal song there is

If it counts then Wintersun's s/t is pretty classic

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mr. Pickles posted:

new gorguts :o

what's this now

I wanna see em live again. Colored Sands tour was sick. closing with Inverted was a good move.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

speaking of Kim Kelly NPR apparently stopped working with her because she is a "political activist"

loving right wing hacks

Grim Kim for lyfe

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hulk Krogan posted:

Lol she was one of the people that unionized Vice and iirc still does work for the Writer's Guild.

Don't let facts get in the way of the attempt to minimize the successful career of a woman

Guitar Hero was fun and I thank it for turning people on to The Sword. before The Sword got all weird and lame.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

y'all like Ayreon? Star One? embrace the cheese

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Tool's on streaming now so instead of listening to them tell me metal bands who clearly like Tool

Soen, Deadsoul Tribe, Cobalt, what else you got?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Shamed posted:

good metal bands probably don't like tool

Cobalt owns

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can't say I hear the Tool influence in Cobalt.

eh listen to say Dry Body, it's there imo

sorry for shittin up the thread heres some thrash instead

https://youtu.be/ZkdKg9FNMgI

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

I was listening to Once Was Not the other day (underrated!) and spent the next hour making Lord Worm noises to myself

same but None So Vile and then it ended and a song from The Unspoken King came on and I about threw my headphones off on disgust

love that poppin snare on NSV

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

never heard anything bad about Absu, pretty sure nazi bands don't usually have trans people in them

oh wait I'm wrong I didnt realize they were lovely to viz crom and thats why she left k gently caress absu

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 5, 2019

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Tomb Mold is prolly worth going to see live yeah? how's this tour?

they are playing with a self-described True Norwegian Black Metal act named Mork, please tell me Mork is a Nazi-free zone

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I just stumbled onto Obscura by Gorguts. It's 20 years old and somehow I have never listened to it even though 1998 was the beginning of my extreme music prime years. How did this album escape me for this long? It sounds so ahead of it's time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1X0Bejwnko

make sure you listen to From Wisdom to Hate too because it's all killer, a bit more straightforward than Obscura but still wildly creative. the main riff of Inverted forever haunts me.

Colored Sands and Pleiades Dust are also very good. Gorguts rules. even the first two albums are very solid for death metal of that era.

you could try listening to Negativa too, its got a lot of the same weird poo poo as Gorguts while going in a different direction. RIP big Steeve, you were too cool for this world.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

thanks for reminding me about Warning now I'm listening to them and Pallbearer and Reverend Bizarre all day :catholic:

how are the other bands the RB dudes were/are in? any of em worth listening to? I tried Lord Vicar once but it was kinda boring.

e: I just learned that the Rev covered Beherit, fuckin hell I listened to Drawing Down the Moon and Engram this morning, how did I not know that

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 15, 2019

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Semen Across Lips remains my favorite indecipherable logo

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I seriously might get it

I am also thinking of doing some hand painted back patches with lyrics on them, trying to think of some good ones

give em the ol

if you are false don't entry
because you'll be burned and died

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lol ok im almost a decade late here but I was listening to Altars of Madness this morning and just learned about Illud Divinum Insanus. holy poo poo what a trainwreck.

what are your favorite metal sellout failure albums. there's The Unspoken King but that one just makes me sad.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Snowy posted:

What’s a trainwreck about it? I pretty much only ever listened to Altars of Madness

extremely uninspired songwriting, chuggy riffs that sound like an even worse Six Feet Under, an attempt to add electronic elements that just falls totally flat. it's just not good.

give this one a listen
https://youtube.com/watch?v=wRIblO_4ISg

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i'm confused what makes you think that album constituted them selling out. who exactly were they selling out to?

I dunno, fans of Combichrist? whatever imaginary audience David Vincent thought there was for his lovely industrial music? Hellyeah fans? it's a clear attempt at a more "mainstream" sound if you ask me, can't write it off as ~experimenting~

anyway I listened to 1184 today and wanna know anywhere to get Windir merch that's not bootleg? is Season of Mist's shop legit?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

hey can y'all recommend me somethin with catchy rear end riffs. I'm bored to tears at work recently and need something to bob my head up and down to. like what's a whole album full of sick fuckin riffs.

all genres are good, just gimme them riffs

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Dead Goon posted:

Darkest Hour loving own.

yeah I KNEW that link would be something from DH off Undoing Ruin, such a killer album.

thanks for the recs y'all. used to listen to Collosal Titan Strife a lot but haven't paid attention to Kronos since then gonna blast em today. started today with Those Once Loyal in the car to work, a good day so far.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

A human heart posted:

the dude is obviously right wing like 90% of black metal musicians but there's a difference between that and actual white supremacism, and being mixed race he's not espousing that.

lol those are literally white supremacist talking points. who could have predicted the guy with the sun wheel tattoo is a nazi! "oh it's just a symbol it's not political" is fascist gish gallop bullshit 101

when's the new Carcass album coming out this poo poo's exhausting

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

yeah also great that the crusty black metal/blackened crust scene is strong too, with Immortal Bird and Vhol and the like.

did it ever get definitively cleared up if Young and in the Way were sexpests, they put on a kickass show :(

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

aw yeah that's a Friday for me. always wanted to see Morbid Angel. Waitain does a lot of flames and explosions and poo poo at their shows yeah?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Shamed posted:

Also, yes, I like Slough Feg a lot. They're my favorite band ever.

Slough Feg fuckin rules now and forever. I owe it to them for getting me into Manilla Road and Brocas Helm and such.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wormed? idk I dont really like much BDM or goregrind but I loved Wormed

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

maynard doesn't even sound angry he just sound resigned the whole time. I like the album tho.

recommend me 80s black/thrashy stuff I might not have heard of. been spinning lots of Root, Sarcafago, Holocausto. need more!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Kayo Dot has a new album out today too. Is it metal? Who knows! The tracks they released before sounded like prog rock. But I guess this is the thread where KD fans would be anyhow.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Groke posted:

What day is it today, boys and girls? Why, it's Weakling Tuesday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXqhFQnNxVQ

I've listened to Dead as Dreams like 10 times in the past month so I'll go ahead and do it again today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

So the new Atlantean Kodex album is out I guess? It's on YouTube at least. Anyone listened to it?

some reviews I read suggest their lyrical material has moved beyond "Europe rules slaughter the Saracen hordes" so that's good