Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

From February 2009 to now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dead Man Posting posted:

Wow. Mine's not the greatest list out there, especially considering what I listen to nowadays.

Good too see SMG on someone else's list too. :D

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

QPZIL posted:

I noticed that. I had track one on, and thought "hm, I wonder how long it's been, this song is 11 minutes isn't it?" and when I looked I was on track 4 already :aaa:

Time flies when you're having fun I guess.

Come onnnn vinyl!

Any news about when the vinyl's released?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

QPZIL posted:

WitTR Celestial Lineage and YOB Atma vinyls are out, oh no my wallettttttttttttt

Shiiiiittttt! Oh well, I can eat noodles for the rest of the month.

Ninja edit: Where would you go if you wanted to order them both from the same place?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

QPZIL posted:

I don't know if that's possible right now. Southern Lord is usually pretty stingy with their vinyls when they're first released.

Yeah, went to have a look around Southern Lord's site and decided that YOB can wait since the WitTR 2LP+shirt package needs to come to me and it was rather expensive.
Where would you get the YOB LP, though? Straight from Profound Lore?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dead Man Posting posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ar2y1PyTWg

I never heard of this band before. They're in Russia, but they sing in Finnish.

Their newer albums aren't metal at all, but the early stuff isn't bad.

If I understood correctly, they've actually relocated to Finland (I think the actual band consists of no more than 2 members, though I'm not sure if that is the case with the latest album). And they're planning to play live gigs.

Ninja edit: Anyway, I like them a whole bunch.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dead Man Posting posted:

This (along with a lot of Finnish metal, it seems, i.e. Moonsorrow) captures kind of a eerie/out-of-this-world/supernatural affinity/very very distant type of music.

Even their newer stuff, which isn't metal and this thread may not like, captures that essence.

What I don't understand is they are Russian, lived in southern Russia (Челябинск), and moved to Finland. Are they like me? Or did they grow up with Finnish? Are their ancestors Karelian? That'll be a fascinating story.

There was an interview a while back in (the Finnish metal mag) Inferno (I think), around the time their third album, Aava tuulen maa came out, of their primus motor, Anton Belov, who basically said he is a huge fan of Finland. Also something to do with living conditions not being all that good in Chelyabinsk.

But what do you mean by this "like me"?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Nordick posted:

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiit.

I just found out Agalloch will play their first ever gig in Finland in April. I think I may have broken some sort of speed record in ordering tickets online.

I'm so loving stoked right now, oh man oh man oh man. April can't come soon enough.

I hope they'll play She Painted Fire Across The Skyline.

See you there. I'm stoked as well.

I just found out Christian Mistress's second album's gonna come out in February. I just recently got their debut and I'm pumped about that, too.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dooz posted:

As a long-time fan of Sigh I must admit that I was not a big fan of any song from Hangman's Hymn except for David Harrow's remix of The Tranquilizer Song. I like weird metal and Gallows kind of regressed in that category.

I think you got Hanman's Hymn mixed up with Gallows Gallery, which preceded it. Coincidentally, Gallows Gallery is probably my favorite Sigh album. Or at least it's the only one I ever listen to twice in a row.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Nuclear Fetus posted:

Agalloch was great last night! They also seemed to be really just nice and cool guys in general, which was completely not what I was expecting based on things I've read about them (mostly in this thread) being obnoxiously pretentious and kind of being dicks. They came out and shook hands with everyone in the front row after the show, Haughm said some nice things and I even saw Aesop smile which was weird since he mostly looks like hes going to murder his drumkit.

Actually changed my perception of the band quite a bit.

I thought they were boring as gently caress, and I do love their records, especially The Mantle. They just seemed to strip everything that makes them special for me away from their live set. I even began to question if I really like any of their other albums, but now that I've slept on it, I won't go so far. And I can't even remember the last time I've been disappointed with a live gig.

Edit: Did I mention the mixing was atrocious? The drums were so loud they drowned the low end of the guitars, so half the time I wasn't sure what at least one of the guitarists were playing, especially in bits with fast drums. Not to mention Haughm's mic wasn't on for the first 10 minutes or so and then he became more than barely audible during the third or fourth song.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 8, 2012

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Nuclear Fetus posted:

I don't know, I enjoyed it but maybe I was too drunk to know better? I agree about the drums though. The fact that Aesop hits loving hard all the drat time even if it doesn't really fit the part probably made it worse. The bass was also sort of drowning things out. Too few songs off of The Mantle, actually only In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion I guess? but I was kind of expecting that they would mostly be playing faster songs that have more electric guitar and not so much of the acoustic stuff, which is a shame really since they could have pulled those songs off too if they wanted to.

Now you're making me think the gig left more and more to be desired... drat you.

Sorry.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Taco_Fury posted:

I'm loving the new Sigh, by far the most different and original thing I've heard in a while. Could I get some recommendations for another one of their albums that stands out? They've got a pretty big discography and I'm not too sure where to start.

I also liked the new album and I'm seconding Imaginary Sonicscape. The new one clearly harks back to those days, while it's not a carbon copy. I also like Gallows Gallery a whole lot, while it's a lot more straightforward album.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I don't know if I feel ok watching this in public on my phone. Somebody could see me.

Just make sure you're laughing out loud (derisively) the whole time.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Vargatron posted:

I heard some Agalloch on Pandora the other day, and I like what I heard. What is the best intro album to buy from those guys?

The Mantle, hands down. Personally, I think their other albums are good, while The Mantle is excellent.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Turk February posted:

Holy poo poo hahahahhaha. My favorite aspect of that video is look how small they are compared to the room they are supposed to be in. That and the keyboardist's fingers are so fast that they can put out fire.

My favorite is how at no point does a single sign of emotion appear on the vocalist's face.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I hope it's ok that I put this here.

My band, Ever Circling Wolves, just put out a new track, which we recorded live in studio during the drum sessions for our upcoming album. Listen to it on our soundcloud page, if death/doom/sludge rattles your fancy.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Morbid Florist posted:

Seems like the internet isn't machine enough to stream it. I can't get the loving thing to budge.

edit: ok well I've heard it. there's some cool melodic ideas but this is ludicrously over complicated and busy sounding. the synths and other background poo poo is getting in the way of the good ideas happening on guitar.

I'm with you on this one, only I don't think there were that many cool melodic ideas. It rather sounded like someone mashed together Nightwish and some generic melodeath band and fed them amphetamines. And so it continues to boggle my mind that most people I know who listen to metal at all seem to like Wintersun.

Edit: I also got the nagging feeling that I've heard it all before.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I was expecting more "Battle Against Time" and not "Sleeping Stars." You have Kai Hahto who is absolutely AMAZING at drums. Please do more blast beats.

I'd rather listen to the new Anaal Nathrakh which (besides the last track) is awesome and destroys. I'm also happy this new album isn't as bad as Passion, I read that Mick Kenney was collaborating with a guy from Bring Me the Horizon (and I just noticed that he produced a Bleeding Through album) so I was 90% sure Passion was going to have bad breakdowns.

Is Vanitas streaming somewhere? I'm eagerly awaiting it, but my local record store will only get the vinyls in next month.

vedicardi posted:

Can't help but mention how great it is to see someone with "Dutch Wife ABC" as a username. Great stuff.

So great you had to mention it twice, eh?

Edit: VVVVV But you talked about great in both your posts. What can I believe anymore?

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 18, 2012

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

The Ferret King posted:

I don't think I'd call what you posted legitimate criticism. It was more of a flippant remark. I'd even be interested in reading about why a particular band was considered good or bad. But just saying it's good or bad doesn't really impart any meaningful opinion to the discussion.

It wouldn't have normally caught my attention, except that it's exactly the same quality posting that goes on in youtube video comments.

I think a discussion of what's wrong with European metal today would be interesting and educational. Since you seem to be an authority on the topic, maybe you'd like to share?

I, for one, thought the track henpod posted was boring. After that, I didn't want to listen to another track of theirs.

Edit: Not that I think this is in any way a prime example of (what's wrong with) European metal today.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 10, 2013

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

henpod posted:

Here it is on Youtube, for now at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92yZvSCV8aU

Maybe its an early mix, but the production seems pretty raw.

It's on Spotify as well. I'm liking the production, seems a bit rawer than In Somniphobia, but only appropriately so.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Fiskiggy posted:

I'll admit it, I'm a new school sissy wuss who wants music to sound good, and I get really disappointed every time one of my favorite bands decide their album should have a "raw" sound. Almost like a wasted record. There's some sick stuff on the new Sigh, I'd pay a good deal to hear it with modern production. At least 1990s production.

I don't think it sounds like pre-90s. And also (my idea of) an ultra crisp modern production would probably ruin the whole record for me (as it does everything). Based on two listens, I think the production suits the album perfectly. But yeah, YMMV.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Fiskiggy posted:

I wouldn't describe Hangman's Hymn through In Somniphobia as "ultra crisp modern production", but Graveyard is... something else.

I don't think it differed all that much from the previous ones.

Edit: If you were listening to the youtube version posted last page, I see your point.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 17, 2015

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

MisterFister posted:

Are there other bands out there like Hooded Menace? Been listening to all their stuff again at work and I want more.

Try Solothus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr-F325XnXw

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Crossposting from the doom thread to humbly toot my own horn:

Frank Caskelot posted:

Just in case someone's wondering what's going on with Ever Circling Wolves, we finally finished our second album and put a couple of tracks on our bandcamp: https://ecwdoom.bandcamp.com (not downloadable because we're fishing for someone to release the album and would prefer no one download it yet).

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

My band, Ever Circling Wolves, just released a new album (so far only digital, but cd and cassette will soon be out on Cimmerian Shade Recordings, with vinyl to follow later). Doom or something like that.
https://ecwdoom.bandcamp.com/

Also:

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

BOLT THROWER

is what I'll be listening throughout the day tomorrow at work.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

joylessdivision posted:

Underground Resistance was bad. Like really bad.

You seem to have misspelled "great".

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Killingyouguy! posted:

Hey metal thread, I hope you can help me out here. I'm looking for music that sucks, particularly music that sucks a lot and in a very particular way.

What else sounds like The Kovenant's Animatronic? I want that 'it's 1999 and The Matrix is the best thing to ever happen to me' sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjLvDTmEb98

Their other albums don't scratch this itch quite right.

What immediately sprung to mind was ...And Oceans' album Cypher. It doesn't suck, though, it rules.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtquQ1u2OQI

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

My black/death band played a gig at a private barn festival a friend of mine throws at his parents' farm in Western Finland and as we got some decent footage of the show, I figured I'd share it with you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bapAOlfmgME

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

A human heart posted:

Drawing Down The Goon

:bisonyes:

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are you guys listening to the new Thou album Magus? It’s one of the best albums I’ve heard this year. The riffs and vocals are so, so good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6aGuuMEQx68

Yup! And eagerly awaiting for my copy of the vinyl from Deathwish Europe, along with the preceding 3 EP:s, all of which I ordered back in June, I think, but of course they're waiting to have everything in stock before they send them.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

This is gonna be a really stupid post, but can anyone identify the bands in this (dumb) meme?

What I can make out is Incinerate, Human Mincer and Mortician. The one on the top I have no idea.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Slayer is doing the same thing once theyre done with their current tour

Only 30 years since their last good album.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

You got that right, eh! (did I say that right?)

Listening to the new Cauldron album is the most fun I've had with my clothes on in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmXNLOiMOgs

Now take off your clothes and re-listen, then report back.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

MrBling posted:

Apparently there are Full Dynamic Range versions of both Realm of Chaos and War Master.

Listening to War Master now and it sounds amazing.

Also IVth Crusade and For Victory. I've got them all.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Most death metal lyrics are understandable if you read the lyrics along to the song, but I love how people praise Lord Worm for writing poetically macabre lyrics when it’s clear that he is not even trying to actually say those words.

It's all a part of the charm. I have found myself unable to care about Cryptopsy post None So Vile because the vocals have been too clear. I haven't listened to the album where Lord Worm came back, but by all accounts it wasn't as good musically.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

deadking posted:

Blasphemy Made Flesh

This, assuming you're yearning for that sweet Lord Worm vocal mayhem.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Varg posted:

idk if it's just me but I rarely ever want to listen to single tracks released early by bands I already know I love, I'll just force myself to wait for the album so I don't spoil any of it. so, I'm not clicking those :colbert:

Not just you.

One major reason I still haven't heard Agalloch's last album is a couple of tracks off it were missing from Spotify and I've been too lazy to check it out somewhere else, not to mention too poor to buy a physical record without hearing it first.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Shamelessly plugging my own band since our EP from last year just got added to Spotify and other streaming services.
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/745xJy1udG29dh6SXs5ZiI?si=zhi906kyQiaWsZuDTr35aA
Bandcamp: https://loputonsuo.bandcamp.com/

Mostly black, with hints of death and doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

DoubleCakes posted:

I finally checked out Wolves in the Throne Room on my friend's recommendation. I don't know if Two Hunters is their best album but I liked it's mix of black metal and post-metal.

IMO, it's either Two Hunters or Black Cascade. I haven't listened to their ambient album (Celestite), but otherwise their whole discography is pretty listenable (though I'm not a 100% sure about their latest album).

It's me, I'm the wolfshirt in the dorm room. :gonk: