Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
New Mastodon should have been an EP, maybe. It's probably 2:1 cool poo poo:throwaway riffs. It's a grower like every other mastodon album, and I've enjoyed it both listens, but it's not blowing me away like the last 4.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Stoat posted:

I like the new Mastodon a whole lot but then the only other album of theirs I really got into was Crack the Skye because I'm not very true metal.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for whatever the hell genre The Hunter / Crack The Skye are?

If you like The Hunter you should definitely get Baroness' Blue Record, if you don't already have it. And in that case shame on you.

vvv Torche is similar too, though I never really liked them. And (don't hit me) Black Tongue in particular reminds me of The Sword.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 20, 2011

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

This is probably a goofy request that will get me laughed at, but I'm looking for some well produced death metal with an older school kind of sound. Anything recent come to mind?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Turk February posted:

"...Of Frost And War" by Hail Of Bullets

aliencowboy posted:

I really like what Martin van Drunen's been involved with lately, but I'd also like hear some suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izDRx83dniQ

loving love this album and want more, that's why I asked. I'll check you guys' other suggestions out, thanks.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

Wow, Megadeth's setlist was powerfully lame tonight. :smith:

Also, all Megadeth fans other than me are horrible. I almost got into three fights tonight, and I am generally a very agreeable person!

I googled the setlist and you indirectly saved me probably $100 or so, thanks

was this it?

Trust
Wake Up Dead
Hangar 18
Sweating Bullets
Angry Again
Poison Was the Cure
Dawn Patrol
Public Enemy No. 1
Whose Life (Is It Anyways?)
Guns, Drugs & Money
A Tout Le Monde
(with Cristina Scabbia)
Symphony of Destruction
Peace Sells
Encore:
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

eh

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

The chick said Ozzy's mind was basically fried. And that was over a decade ago.

To be fair this pair of sentences could be from about 1975

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

that album is going to destroy, god drat

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Turk February posted:

This is why I love the all-star death metal band Hail Of Bullets. It's just crushing and visceral death metal with sharp-as-hell melodic leads, plus you can't go wrong with Martin van Drunen on vocals rasp-growling about how 300,000 soldiers died at Stalingrad. The good news is that they are going to be writing a new album soon.

stole my reply, hail of bullets is basically grimdark sabaton and loving awesome

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

DEAR RICHARD posted:

This quiz popped up on Facebook. I somehow only got half right.

Rick Santorum quote or Dave Mustaine lyric/quote
http://motherjones.com/media/2012/02/rick-santorum-heavy-metal-megadeth-quiz

90%. I missed the lord of the rings one because I remembered that one song from the newish album

Oh Dave Mustaine :smith:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

So yeah, In Somniphobia. That there is a good album, gently caress; easily the most creative I've heard in a couple years. I kinda regret having heard like half the album 2 months before it came out though

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 1, 2012

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Where do yall get your shirts besides at a band's show? I need to restock on goony as gently caress metal shirts

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Not Very Metal posted:

I use CM Distro, or buy straight from the record label.

Thanks!

NarkyBark posted:

Meshuggah tunes sound like the basic framework of a song that never gets finished. It doesn't help that they take two riffs and ride them for soooooo long.

Exactly. I like Meshuggah in small doses. I love their sound and there are some good riffs, but it's as though they forgot to make songs and stuff. Still, I'm gonna pay money to see them with baroness and ghost and I don't think I'll regret it.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Okay so bear with me - listening to a bunch of entombed and carcass and poo poo lately, driving home today the idea of death metal surf rock occurred to me, but then I figured someone out there has done it and I need to know what it sounds like. Any particular bands/albums come to mind?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Thrash, huh? How about something catchy and 'fun' like whiplash, exodus, or kill em all (yeah I know but that album still owns)?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Looks like Akerfeldt was in a car accident and taken to the hospital, missing the Minnesota show.
http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/05/08/opeths-mikael-akerfeldt-in-car-accident/

Tour supposed to go on tomorrow in Wash DC, but I doubt Opeth will play if this is actually happened.

EDIT: Looks like some bullshit. Opeth has released a statement saying he wasn't involved in a car accident, but hit his head on the tour bus. He should be back for the DC show.

haha I decided not to go to this because I just saw Opeth and didn't like Heritage anyway, even though I really wanted to see Ghost and Mastodon. Mother gently caress.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

I just like watching various people end up ganging up on That Guy

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

My dad listens to traditional dad rock kinda stuff, so that's kinda where I came from... he likes newer stuff with that kind of that same sound, but every once in a while he'll come home with an album I'd never expect like turisas or behemoth. "This is pretty out there, have you ever listened to these guys?"

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

wait what are they going backwards? why?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

I'm pretty sure I shot this dude for his twinkies in Fallout

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 1, 2012

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Weaponized Cum posted:

Municipal Waste, with such classics as:

Hazardous Mutation is a good loving album. Nothing they've done since has been amazing, but I've heard nothing but great things about their live show. And Napalm Death will be there so gently caress it.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Houseplant posted:

Christ, I'll probably get poo poo for this, but am I the only one who thinks Wintersun is just not that great? I mean, they are good, he is good, but it's nothing spectacular.

I get why people like it and all but yeah, I've never felt like it had too much staying power. Same with newer Ensiferfum for that matter. But early Ensiferum when everyone was all one big happy band (Iron and stuff) still owns.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

IRQ posted:

So, uh, the post credits scene in Black Ops 2 is... well, see for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu6ZUCoa5Ns

An Avenged Sevenfold concert, rendered in the game engine. For some reason.

Adios mio

lol

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

rivetz posted:

This is a first draft all the way, will spruce it up once it's further down the road. Anyway, I've been thinking that I'd have "PMBL" in some gnarly death font or something above the pentagram, and then "Portland Metal Bowling League" in an arc over the pentagram, but the arced text looks lovely/clumsy no matter what I try.

Just make the text above your black metal art lovely and tangled and unreadable anyway

thatshtejoke.jpg

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Yeah, he didn't seem mad.

That said, obligatory -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQIUfqKcakE

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 5, 2012

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Possibly both. They were finishing up on stage and I was hanging out outside in the loading/unloading area. He was heading outside, still had his guitar on and stuff, and it went like this:
"Hey good show man"
"Äää, gently caress off!"
"K later"

So it's totally possible that he was just having a bad night.

He sounds drunk. Seems plausible.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

He's right you guys you need to stop taking Anal oval office so seriously

kajeto posted:

New Suffocation:

http://www.metalinjection.net/av/new-suffocation-song-will-rip-your-face-off

I hope the rest of the album sounds this loving good.

bout drat time. But there goes the rest of my night

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Mr. Heroes posted:

Haha, have some more Space Marines inspired 80s style Judas Priest metal

You can't even know how fast I clicked this

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

I am going to post that I am upset Cradle of Filth is coming nowhere near... Minneapolis for their NA tour with The Faceless, Decapitated, and The Agonist. I just want to see these bastards live once in my life.

Mother gently caress.

I could give two shits about Cradle nowadays tbh, but those openers are incredible. I didn't think Decapitated could come back from that crash, but what do I know.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Thorias posted:

A shitton of good albums came out in 2012, my top ten would probably be (in any order):

Spawn of Possession - Incurso
Sigh - In Somniphobia
Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity
Agalloch - Faustian Echoes
Krallice - Years Past Matter
Ihsahn - Eremita
Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas
Panopticon - Kentucky
Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage
Enslaved - RIITIR

Definitely hard to choose though, with all that came out this year.

converge is my choice, but I liked all of this that I've heard (not Krallice or Cattle Decapitation)

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

That looks like frog on the left, so from now in that will be the :rockout: frog in my mind

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

cradle of filth/cher

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Apparently Randy Blythe isn't going back to a czech prison, so thats cool i guess.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Durendal posted:

No one liked A Predator's Portrait? :smith: I guess NBC and Chainheart Machine do kinda eclipse it though.

That's the first one I got so yes, I like it quite a bit

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Haggins posted:

Listening to Aeon while running makes you feel like you're marching in Satan's Army.

yeah but why be in Satan's army when you could be in AAAH MOTHERLAND :ussr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbSfTbF4qOw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbzRG48FCa4

Fact: Totalitarianism will make you run faster and increase all your PRs

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 17, 2013

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

dave please do heroin again :(

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Morbid Florist posted:

Come on, Youthanasia was half decent. It's definitely the bitter end of them doing good poo poo, but even Countdown was good.

i like Cryptic writings :ohdear:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Besides this thread, where do you guys go for reviews? Feels like I'm always a little bit behind on new stuff

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

is GWAR still worth seeing for $20?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Loving the new Red Fang and Skeletonwitch, new Hail of Bullets is pretty good too if you want some Boltthrower ripoff stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Xandoom posted:

Thank you! After talking about it with his parents and doing a bit of research as well as this I think I'm gonna take him. Might keep him away from the pits but if they're relatively tame it's part of the experience. Can't wait now!

At 15 I was like 5'4" and totally out of shape and had a blast in the amon amarth pit soooo I'd tell your cousin to buck up. Unless seeing bearded dudes drink a little beer is gonna make him clutch his pearls or something