Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

BSchlang posted:

Sorry that not everyone loves Black Sabbath, bro.

And no good albums of the year? Protest the Hero, Leprous, And So I Watch You From Afar, Sylosis, and Unearth have all put out sweet albums, and we still get to look forward to new stuff from Opeth, Mastodon, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Machine Head (gently caress you), plus whatever other more underground bands these threads introduce us to. 2011 has been my favorite year for metal in a long time, and Cynic's probably gonna drop something in early 2012.

Holy drat, not four posts in and you're already messing it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I think Swashbuckle has some decent riffs, but musically they've always seemed more rooted in thrash than the accordion-gimmicks of some other bands.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Someone should make an Opeth thread because I want to talk about how pretty I think The Night and The Silent Water is.

fake edit: it is very pretty.

Have you heard the live version on Roundhouse Tapes? Completely redefines the song. (I agree with you.)

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Wattsamatta posted:

This new Mastodon album absolutely owns. Jesus Christ.

Yeah it's not bad. I wouldn't put it above the first three but it's certainly a step up from the awful Crack the Skye. Nice to hear them actually trying again. Creature Lives is pretty bad though.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Is that the one with the extended keyboard intro? Because I thought they were either about to cover Pink Floyd or Steve Miller Band's "Jet Airliner".

It's not a bad album, but the lyrics are a fair bit weaker than everything before Blood Mountain. And I've seen Mastodon live enough times to know that their live vocals on this album are going to be.... probably not so good. Especially if Brent is "sick" again.

Yeah, whenever I hear that I'm all "It's the THX sound, time to watch Star Wars!"

The lyrics are pretty bad on that song. They're never really stellar throughout the album but I don't really care since they went back to writing good riffs again. The press around this album, the lack of a concept, the song titles, everything about this album just kind of says "eh, we made an album, here it is". Not that I mind since it's actually pretty good, but leading up to Crack the Skye all I heard was OMG MASTODON NEW ALBUM BEST THING ON EARTH SO PROG AND CRAZY CONCEPT PLAY THE WHOLE THING LIVE ALBUM OF THE CENTURYYYYYYYYYY whereas The Hunter I can't think of much hubbub.

Content: I'm going to a wedding so I'm going to miss Skeletonwitch when they come through :( Really sucks because they were playing with local Neurosis-worshipping badasses Wrath and Ruin, who just dropped an album. Check 'em out if you're into that sort of thing.
http://www.facebook.com/WrathAndRuin

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

QPZIL posted:

Years ago my old band toured with a band called Reflux, and I remember a number of times sitting with a permanent :stare: face while their singer went on long rants to me about various conspiracies and how he literally thinks that aliens came and created humanity and how we're all made out of stardust and stuff.

...turns out that guy is Ash Avildsen, the guy who runs Sumerian Records. He's crazy. A great guy, but crazy. Coincidentally, their guitar was Tosin Abasi, who's now the wonderchild behind Animals As Leaders, and is substantially less crazy. Small world.

edit-- This is one of the books I remember him recommending to me: Welp.

What is it with djent dudes and people who think stuff like this? My drummer's way into any overproduced same-y bullshit he finds online and he'd agree with all of this and more.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Speaking of Opeth, I went to see them the other night and caught the tail end of Katatonia's set. Thought it was pretty good but never really listened to them before. Where should I start?

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I hope Maiden doesn't break up before I get the chance to see them, Nicko is pushing 60 :(

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Dameius posted:

Thanks for the recs. I'll check them out later today. I pretty much have already had my fill of Bolt Thrower, but the rest seem interesting. Do you guys have any recommendations specifically for bands similar to Chimp Spanner? I've always been far more interested in the instrumentation than vocals/lyrics so instrumental bands like that always appeal to me.

You should probably go track down the djent thread, it might be a couple pages back.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
You spelled Emperor wrong in the black metal part.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

m-o-o-n posted:

agreed

Yeah this too.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

QPZIL posted:

Gr31lly where do you find these bands, how do you do it

Yeah I was gonna post basically this but didn't know how to do it without coming off like a metal babby (which is basically what I am, so maybe I should've just gone ahead and done it). Kudos, dude.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

BGrifter posted:

the end of Five Magics sounds like Grover is singing.

It always kind of sounded like that.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Not to hate on merchchat but I don't really get buying shirts online. I only get 'em at shows. I figure it's kind of like a medal, like "Yeah, I've seen them". If you're wearing a shirt you ordered online, it's not saying anything other than "This is a band I like" which, who cares? At least with the show-bought shirt you have a story to go with it.

Sovietski posted:

Gentlemen!

Allow me to direct your attention to RED FANG.
It's my humble opinion that Red Fang is taking metal in the greatest possible direction and NOW THIS

Say what you will about Mastodon, but it's easily a worthy show just for Red Fang.

(Shameless self-promotion) I went to this the other night. I wrote a thing about it here.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
If it's something like Bathory you have no chance of seeing then yeah, ordering is your only option. I guess I have enough shows coming through that I can rep a fair variety of shirts. I tend to not wear metal shirts that often though, I'm not a huge fan of the "traditional" metal shirt (black, band name up top, picture of some metal thing happening).

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

dxt posted:

The way I see it buying band merch is as much about giving the band you like money as getting something to wear, buying it at a show is the best way to make sure they get the money from it.

Yeah, and to reiterate I'm all for whatever methods help out the bands, that's what it's about at the end of the day after all.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to acquire a "Tales from Topographic Oceans" shirt when Yes doesn't even tour anymore. :(

I usually buy shirts at the concert, but lately I've been just purchasing the tour shirts off eBay or something after seeing the band. It's hard to justify a $45 Heritage shirt in a small when I could get the same thing a few months later for $20.

I think Yes still tours, they came through town a few months ago.

And where are you/what shows are you going to with $45 shirts? Most expensive I recall seeing off the top of my head is around $25.

With all these replies I'm starting to think where I live is an anomaly.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
On the topic of shirts with dumb stuff on the back, I bought a Death shirt while in Japan a few years back and discovered it had "100% PURE ORGANIC METAL" on the back. I usually wear it with a zip up sweatshirt so I don't have to show the back but I just wear it on its own once in a while, since it's more goofy than offensive.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
So I went to go see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy this evening and this commercial played before the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Cm8C1TpPkUQ

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Turk February posted:

This is still my favorite metal-themed car commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQin6rnTzYQ

The comment "ENTRAILS RIPPED FROM A VOLVO'S TRUNK" loving slayed me.

That comment is amazing, that commercial is amazing. I think my amusement came from watching a car commercial, then bam, Falconer out of loving nowhere.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

thepitgoddess posted:

Welcome to every metal scene across America!

Yeah, this. Especially around where I live-pretty much every kind of extreme music that isn't awful high school metalcore/deathcore/screamo has banded together in one scene, resulting in basement shows with hardcore bands playing with black metal bands. There was a decent high school band around here that had a pretty good grasp on Immolation-style death metal for their age but they broke up a few months ago. But man, if you're not in the know it's hard to find local poo poo that isn't awful.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

First, if anybody wants to write reviews or columns for a metal magazine, let me know.

Sup.

colantalas at gmail dot com

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Gils posted:

Not even close to where I live. Why is the midwest so big :negative:

You and me both, man. Seriously considering roadtripping for this, who knows how many years Maiden has left in 'em.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Kalus posted:

I'm pretty much basing this off Heritage and his performance with Bloodbath at Bloodstock. For reference.

He said this was due to starting using in-ear monitors as opposed to earplugs which he used previously and overcompensating. I dunno if that's actually the situation, but that's his explanation.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Trees and Squids posted:

I would argue that it is one of the all-time worst Iron Maiden songs. I've never really listened to the Blaze albums though, mainly because I'm a willfully ignorant douche. That song is the epitome of filler material trash.

I agree it's one of the worst Maiden songs. THE worst Maiden song, though, is this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA8K5QBoyzw

FALLING DOWN
FALLING DOWN
FALLING DOWN
FALLING DOWN
FALLING DOWN
FALLING DOWN

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

CornHolio posted:

I just found out that Borknagar released a new album last month. Has anybody listened to it? Thoughts? It seems to have pretty positive reviews, and I loved their previous album(s), so I'll likely be checking it out regardless.

I thought it was pretty meh, but I'm not exactly a huge fan. If you loved the previous stuff you'll probably enjoy it.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I need grimy, gross-sounding thrash in the vein of the first few Slayer records and Sodom. Faster and looser the better. Bonus points for lots of crazy nonsense guitar solos and an Araya-esque vocal style. Someone help me out.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

They will never again reach the level of perfection that was "Tallulah".

... I have a feeling you don't have the words
I found one for you, kiss your cheek, say bye, and walk away
Don't look back 'cause I am crying...
:'(

From the new album:

Only The Broken Hearts (Make You Beautiful) posted:

Someone broke the frame and now my picture's gone
Remember what I look like?
You can keep my old umbrella
I'll have my rainy day, thank you for all the pain

I Have A Right posted:

Father, there’s a little flower
Beautiful and different, all alone... All alone...
Is it so, Dad?

The Day posted:

Sea full of diamonds, good morning new day
I'll fix us breakfast, and the newspaper says
The company will lay off 5000 souls today

Don't Be Mean posted:

Don't be mean to meeeeeeeeeeee

Shitload of Money posted:

literally the entire song

Yeah this album sucks hard.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
One day my family came home to find my dad blasting Creed and headbanging in the living room. He was pretty embarrassed when he noticed us. Fortunately I pretty much always thought Creed were poo poo.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Unconventional choice, but my favorite Slayer song was always Dittohead for some reason. The riffs always just reverberated with me really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv5_X_Y5D-0

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

MoreMetalBrian posted:

New Agalloch EP is streaming on their Bandcamp site. 1 song - 21 mins long :

http://agalloch.bandcamp.com/track/faustian-echoes

Site must be getting hit hard or my connection isn't doin too well. Stoked to hear it, though.

Holy poo poo this is amazing. Where/when are they gonna make this available?

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

For Mike Amott: The clean production on your recent albums has emphasized your extremely accomplished, impressive lead work, while the less polished production on Arch Enemy's earlier albums, and the audible-but-rough sound on the Carcass and Carnage albums allows for emphasis on the rhythm playing as well as a darker atmosphere. Have you considered aiming for a darker, less polished atmosphere to accompany the darker and chaotic themes that Angela has conjured with her recent lyrics?

I think he left the band earlier this year.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Varg posted:

So I just got back from seeing Alice Cooper & Iron Maiden in Jersey. Was a couple people behind the railing up front.. the closest I've been to the stage at a show in an arena and it just kicked so much goddamn rear end.

Hey scroll up, people wanna ask you some poo poo.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Great Horny Toads! posted:

One time, my friend was wearing his Cannibal Corpse shirt on the bus. A kid, who was like 5, said, "LOOK MOMMY! That man is DYING on that man's shirt!" Mommy was not amused, and covered her little muffin's eyes.

Once when I was a teenager, my mom took my brother and I on vacation to LA (by one of the beaches, I don't remember). One day I'm wearing an Iron Maiden shirt as we walk to the beach and this totally hosed up looking homeless dude sees us and starts approaching us. I got in front of my mom and bro in case something went down but when he reached us he just shouted in a gravelly voice at me, "6! 66! The number of the beast!", throws me the horns and walks off. Mom was pretty scared but I was cracking up.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

nomapple posted:

On another note entirely, anyone else pretty disappointed with the new Ihsahn album? On my first listen, I thought it was awesome, but on repeated listens it got less and less interesting, and I have no desire to listen to it anymore. This isn't even due to overplaying it, according to Last.fm I have listened to it 5 times all the way through. I enjoyed After a lot more. Anyone else had similar experiences with other albums this year/this album in particular?

I like After better but Eremita's still really good. I blasted "The Grave" in my car and pretty much lost my poo poo, that song is nuts.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Caught Vektor on their tour last night. Go see 'em, they're really loving good. The vocalist broke a string during the second song so while he was running around getting it replaced the rest of the band played Death's "Scavenger of Human Sorrow", which was fun.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I can't find the Nightwish thread so I guess I'll post this here - I'm interviewing Tuomas Holopainen, the keyboard player and songwriter on Sunday. If you have anything you want to know, shout at me.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

RHTITE posted:

Is just going for something new good enough, though? There was a time when Ihsahn was helping to create something new, while also advancing an entire genre to unexplored heights. Now, he throws in saxophone solos just because. There has to be some kind of road map, or it almost always ends up being something that takes away from the music.

Hate to plug myself, but I asked him about the saxophone earlier this year and he made it clear this was something he'd been thinking about for a while, not just a random thing haphazardly thrown in. Even regardless of that, I think he and people like him who're exploring the boundaries of the genre should at least be commended for seeing what else is out there rather than aping 20 year old bands endlessly (and I think the sax makes that track). Also, it's pretty far from 1994 and I appreciate that he recognizes that instead of trying to crank out another "I Am The Black Wizards" (which would be pretty meaningless 18 years later if he did). You might think a particular idea doesn't work, but at least something interesting is offered from a failed experiment, and I'd rather see experiments than bands aping Darkthrone for all time; that doesn't strike me as the future of anything.

I agree that without careful planning it's easy to lose sight of making good music in favor of experimentalism for the sake of itself, but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea to try.

RHTITE posted:

Not possible in a world in which Vikingligr Veldi exists.
No offense to you, but I feel like people with attitudes like this are what makes any kind of experimentalism controversial in the first place. I think one of the reasons metal fans are so conservative with their tastes and any kind of change is viewed as bad is because rather than looking ahead at how a particular style of music may evolve, we lionize old records like this and declare they'll never be topped. It's like we're not willing to accept that something new may be better than something old so we only pontificate on Entombed worship band #8794039 rather than see if we can do something fresh with it, and discount anything new as being incapable of being meaningful.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

nomapple posted:

Just checking out the new Enslaved album now. I had heard some not so great things about it, and thus prepared myself for disappointment, but I am really enjoying this so far. Goddamn, I love this band so much. I loved the clean vocals in their past work and I think they're just as good here. Their catalogue covers such an amazing spectrum of proggy black metal.

I'm with you, album rules really hard. "Death In The Eyes Of Dawn" might be my favorite song this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

nomapple posted:

Roots of the Mountain is the clear standout for me so far. Really excited to hear this stuff live. When I saw them touring AED it was amazing, because everyone was totally keen to hear new material. I don't think I've ever seen a band's new album so well received in a live environment.

AED had some good stuff but it felt like they took one or two good ideas and stretched them out way too long for every song. RIITIIR feels a lot better in this regard, less repetitive and better structured.

"Lightening" was an awesome song though.