Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Just got back from seeing Anaal Nathrakh in Exeter. Holy shitballs was that loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
First metal (well, lets go with not-punk) album I got was Coal Chamber's Chamber Music. Not auspicious at all, but finally saw them live last year. Dez has certainly still got it and I haven't seen as consistent a churning moshpit since the first Download festival.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Deftones' last 2 albums (especially Diamond Eyes) have djenty aspects to them.

Misha Mansoor's Bulb stuff is ok too.

Meshuggah is, as stated, the best though, Catch 33 is great.

This was my first Meshuggah song and I still love it
https://youtu.be/9IiP-Vdx_F8

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 26, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Vulture Culture posted:

Andy Sneap really popularized this in metal in the early '00s and gently caress him in the chest for that

Its a fucker cos Superior Drummer can sound pretty authentic if you don't mix it to sound like plastic and quantize the poo poo out of it. Tune the drums away from their initial values, don't compress the gently caress out of them, program in variation, both in velocity and tenpo, Sometimes sounding like Fear Factory can be appropriate but I'm getting increasingly aware of when people have been using SD and leaning on it. Granted I'm a 'bedroom producer' and thats my main source for drums so there is a bit of (non Tatgren) hypocrisy going on here but I try and make up my own kit from it.

There's the Sneap samples he used for Chimaira floating around and in isolation they sound worse than the Session kit in Ableton Live, real false.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Actually just tarted up Monopoly: Do not pass Petrucci, do not collect 200 identical melodies.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

fruition posted:

If you were thinking about going to see the BTBAM tour, stay home.

That's a real shame, when I saw them a few years ago (in support of Dillinger Escape Plan) they played the then-new Colours in its entirety from start to finish and then Alaska, which was mind blowing.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm quite enjoying Akhenaten at the moment, same Egypt fixation as Nile but more cheesy stock Kontakt 'ethnic' instruments. It's not the best thing ever but its fun for what it is.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
We used to know a guy who claimed to "only listen to the first 20 seconds of the first Bathory album".

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Tote-al loving Necro
Tote-orhead
Deftotes
Totewhore
Totebituary

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Wormed hits a similar itch to The Berzerker. I saw them years ago and there was a minor riot afterwards (chavs thought outside a grind gig just after it finished was a good place to start a fight, 3 riot vans showed up to clear it), the singer was just stood to the side, one foot on a wall as if it was a monitor, shaking his head. all he had to say was "its a bloody shame" in the thickest Aussie accent I ever heard.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'd be more down with Klezmarcore than pirate metal. I stopped getting Terrorizer around 2008 when all it was covering was viking and folk metal. I'll play Battle Metal about once every 6 months then it gets shelved again.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://youtu.be/QTHXeT8XjrU

Shameless plug of Monolithian, a local band. Bass/vocals and drums duo. Heavy as gently caress, supported Anaal Nathrakh and playing Temples Fest for the 2nd year on the trot this year. They have a few releases out. Sludgy, doomy, groovy, sometimes a little bit black.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 14, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

symbolic posted:

We always have the same conversations.

My favourite metal is tungsten

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Tote-al chaos

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
When metal is as medium as possible you end up with Load/Reload and who wants that?

I've never heard Vektor before today and I'm digging it. I always kinda blank on thrash for some reason, I like it but rarely seek it out. Found a band a few months ago called Marionette that kinda sorta sound like SYL, but not as good. Few things are though.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 9, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Jared Dines is a national treasure, its so good to see someone who loves metal yet embraces it's inherent ridiculousness.

Misha Mansoor's vids are so informative even outside of djent.

On a totally different tangent I'm very annoyed with myself for only just getting into Decapitated. A week after they played my town. Twat.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Mudvayne sit on a weird fence where I can't decide if LD50 is smart people being dumb as gently caress or vice versa, its an idiot savant of an album

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
LD50 is certainly worth a spin or two. This diminishes as you move through more recent albums. First album is sorta like Primus on bath salts, lots of insane slap bass but with Corey Taylor vocals, then later albums are like Disturbed with ADD

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://youtu.be/YD0evP6dCJg

Once again Russia shows us the truth

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

COOL CORN posted:

I like almost anything Attila Csihar is involved in.

That's my two cents

Aborym are the tits

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
A year late to the party but Dethgasm is a loving awesome movie, clearly made by people who love metal.

https://youtu.be/VPiL8v19-uI

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://youtu.be/9AyV7almDj0

Anything off disk 1 of this album

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Devin is undeniably nice in person though

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Meshuggah's bass is generally in the same register as the guitars because the latter are so low that trying to go a further octave below just isn't feasible sonically, thats a big part of the character of their sound and why it crushes so hard. Its a cool way of doing things, almost orchestral using different instruments in the same register/voicing (terms may not be correct there)

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
If you like Rammstein then maybe check out Die Krupps. Do a YouTube search for "Neue Deutsche Harte" too as thats the genre ascribed to Rammsteinalikes.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I put on Master of Puppets yesterday, it's good (until I remember I can't play that drat spider riff near the start at full speed then it pisses me off).

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I saw Ill Nino last night, the mix was all bongo and nothing else

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Mainly went to see Ektomorf who wiped the floor with them.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Kilometers Davis posted:

uhh didn't you get the memo bands are only good if they never play anything that differs from your favorite album from 2002 and if they ever write a catchy chorus then it's definitely game over are Bolt Thrower

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Except Fear Factory who only get heavier:btroll:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS WHO THEN NOW? AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JON DAVIS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN CRYING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME RAGNAGGASNAG OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED BAKERSFIELD. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE CLOWNS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
System of a Down kept their albums to strictly 40 minutes so they would fit on one side of a tape.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Tape and download code is a popularish thing for local bands here, I think feeling like you have something "physical" for your money goes a long way, even if you never listen to the tape itself.

There's a cafe in Budapest that has a bunch of rock and metal tapes strung together in the window instead of blinds, it looks pretty cool. Saw some Cannibal Corpse and Napalm Death nestling in there amongst half a dozen copies of Appetite For Destruction.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

il_cornuto posted:

When are minidiscs going to come back into fashion anyway?

What do you mean 'back in'? They never went away? Right? :ohdear:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm not into the style of music, but Korn's last album was somehow not awful.

it's me, the guy that follows up a stargazer video with a comment on a korn album

Cliche term though it is, it's a return to form for sure. Paradigm Shift was them reacclimatising to Head being back and getting over the dubstep hangover and it showed, this one feels much more consistent. The track with Corey Taylor is cool and has a well Tool-esque video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zXDys_gwHk

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Nothing to forgive. Though you could change the spelling of your username?

Check out Cynic for some really cool metal bass playing that isn't Fieldy. There are vocoders involved though.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Just watched a band called "gRain" play A.D.I.D.A.S. in Budapest to a full club. Most of whom were wearing Adidas. Meta as.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
A friendly reminder Earache put out whatever this is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5WZ9DEEh9E

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Pantera Wrecking Ball guy always seems to be supporting the two or three "I have a shirt NOW ITS GONE" guys, they normally perform shortly after he goes to the bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Will the new forums allow individual thread backgrounds?