Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anybody checked out the latest Antediluvian or Lantern albums? Both are extremely suffocating atmospheric death metal (think Mitochondrion). I'm not crazy about the Antediluvian's production but they're both good. Lantern can be streamed from Dark Descent's website:
http://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/below

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

John Magnum posted:

Listening to Immolation - Kingdom of Conspiracy for the first time and I'm really pleasantly surprised. I was expecting it to be pretty mediocre to bad, but while I could be a little bit happier with some of the production it's actually a drat solid album. And way faster than I'm used to Immolation being. Fun fun.
Immolation are easily my favorite active death metal band, so I loved it even if it was a bit by-the-numbers for them. It's not quite as good as Majesty & Decay and obviously isn't another Here in After or Close to a World Below, but definitely top 5 of the year so far.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I do love me some Finndeath, and it's on Spotify (for some reason under a different album title). I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TeamJesus posted:

The new Church of Misery album just leaked. 2009's Houses of the Unholy was probably my favourite album of the year, so hopefully this follows suite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYHb42yTIqo
I think it comes out for real tomorrow. I checked out Houses of the Unholy a few weeks ago and it rules hard. Groovy rear end stoner metal is really weird for a band who writes exclusively about serial killers to play, but the riffs are out of this world.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dead Man Posting posted:

When was their last good one?
Endgame was actually a pleasant surprise.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Baptists - Bushcraft is pretty similar as well.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Immolation is one of the best bands ever. After you've checked out the previous recommendations you should listen to Here in After. It might be beneficial for you to listen to their more recent stuff before the show as well--it's all good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

coolbian57 posted:

The problem with metal is that no one can really successfully play it live. What are some good metal bands that, when seen live, you can actually distinguish what notes are being played? I understand metal concerts are more about the overall feel and the fun and the atmosphere, and I'll probably continue to go to them but I see no reason to pay a lot to see people that can't really play. Not trying to trash metal, some of it is of course extremely difficult to play (really tires you out), but I've just been generally disappointed with live metal as opposed to many other genres.
Go to venues with a half-decent sound guy? I've never had this problem. Between the Buried and Me, Opeth and Cynic have been particularly clear.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Their new album is pretty good. Kind of metallish punk sort of like Kvelertak.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

Wintersun North American headlining tour announced today. http://www.wintersun.fi/2013/06/04/north-american-headlining-tour-announced/

WINTERSUN
FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE
ARSIS
STARKILL

06.08.2013 US Silver Spring, MD – The Fillmore
07.08.2013 US Philadelphia, PA – Theater of Living Arts
08.08.2013 US New York, NY – Irving Plaza
09.08.2013 US Boston, MA – The Sinclair
10.08.2013 CA Montreal, QC – HEAVY MTL*
11.08.2013 CA Toronto, ON – The Opera House
13.08.2013 US Cincinnati, OH – Bogart’s
14.08.2013 US Cleveland, OH – House of Blues
15.08.2013 US Chicago, IL – House of Blues
16.08.2013 US Detroit, MI – St. Andrew’s Hall
17.08.2013 US St. Paul, MN – Station 4
18.08.2013 CA Winnipeg, MB – Park Theatre
19.08.2013 CA Regina, SK – Riddell Center @ UoR
20.08.2013 CA Edmonton, AB – The Starlite Room
21.08.2013 CA Vancouver, BC – Rickshaw Theater
23.08.2013 US Seattle, WA – Studio Seven
24.08.2013 US Portland, OR – Hawthorne Theater
25.08.2013 US San Francisco, CA – DNA Lounge
26.08.2013 US West Hollywood, CA – House of Blues
27.08.2013 US Anaheim, CA – House of Blues
28.08.2013 US San Diego, CA – House of Blues
29.08.2013 US Tempe, AZ – Joe’s Grotto
31.08.2013 US Dallas, TX – House of Blues
01.09.2013 US Houston, TX – House of Blues
03.09.2013 US Fort Lauderdale, FL – Revolution
04.09.2013 US Orlando, FL – House of Blues
05.09.2013 US Atlanta, GA – The Masquerade
06.09.2013 US Charlotte, NC – The Fillmore
*Wintersun only
Don't know anything about Starkill but the rest of this tour sounds fun. Definitely gonna try and make the Cleveland date, although it's unlikely I'll be able to.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Traveller is my favorite traditional heavy metal album of all time. Anything Mike Scalzi does will at least be solid.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Definitely give Traveller a listen.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
drat, I had no idea Orphaned Land had a new one coming so soon. I just knew they were on tour. Now I'm excited.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It also came out today and it's easily their best album to me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I've also used Sound of the Beast as a source for essays before and it's pretty useful. Christe gets some genres totally wrong though (legacy metal? What the gently caress?).

Heavy Metal Islam is a very interesting look at what it's like to be a metal fan or musician in the Middle East, with a focus on certain bands in each country. Off the top of my head it covers Iran (Acrassicauda), Egypt (Hate Suffocation) and Israel (Orphaned Land).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Those people are also, without fail, at least five inches taller than you every time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mayhem Fest is always terrible and it looks like you've already figured out who everyone halfway decent is. Maybe Rob Zombie will play some good White Zombie songs and at least be entertaining. Just make sure you avoid Emmure, who might be the worst band of all time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

How "death metal" are Job for a Cowboy? I've heard of them before.
They were one of the first big deathcore bands and then became really generic DM. I saw them at Gigantour 2008 and they were boring as hell.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm just finishing the album (a friend linked me to an advanced copy), and it's basically From Wisdom to Hate part 2. It's my second-favorite album of the year so far.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Anus Dei posted:

True. I listened to that instrumental that was leaked, or released, but I've been resisting the urge to check out the new track. Gorguts is something special and I'm determined to hold off til I'm able to press "play" on track 1.

And this--

--makes me very happy, as FWtH is my fave of theirs. (But really it's a stiff competition between their albums.)
I don't think anything can really top Obscura, but FWtH is great too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Here's my personal rankings if you want to look through them:
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/HenchmanOfSanta/ranking_2013
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/HenchmanOfSanta/ranking_2012

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sigh use horns extensively on Scenes From Hell.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think Giant Squid use horns sometimes (Throwing a Donner Party at Sea), though they aren't nearly as important to their sound as the cello.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

I like the idea of symphonic metal, but a lot of it is really bad. Has anyone got any recommendations for good symphonic metal, if there is such a thing?
Sigh's Scenes From Hell and Hangman's Hymn albums might fit, as well as the aforementioned Septic Flesh and Fleshgod Apocalypse.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Gorgoroth, Amon Amarth, Cirith Ungol, Minas Tirith, Burzum, Isengard, Shadowfax, Gandalf, Sauron, Mordor, Morgul, Ephel Duath, Fangorn, Gothmog, Orkrist, Arwen, Balrog, White Whizzard (a little bit of a stretch but it fits) and Christopher Lee. Basically every other Metal band has a name from the Silmarilion. Oh yeah there's a band called Silmaril. Not all of these bands are Tolkien themed per se, but you'll find some in there.

A large portion of old prog / metal by Zeppelin, Rush, Sabbath, etc were inspired by JRRT also.
Don't forget Morgoth.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gorewar posted:

Hey. Sorry if this has been asked already not long ago, but can you guys point me in the direction of good newer Canadian metal bands? Mostly looking for stuff in the vein of Mitochondrion, Antediluvian, and Begrime Exemious, plus really good grindcore, doom and sludge.
I don't know if gently caress the Facts qualify as "newer" but they're great Canadian grind.
Bison B.C. for sludgy stuff
KEN mode maybe?

I dunno I mostly associate Canada with tech-death bands, although I know there's a lot bands in the Mitochondrion/Antediluvian style popping up lately. I just don't keep up with them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's good, because djent is a plague.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It sounds a lot like Heartwork, but a little bit more monotonous.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Fleshgod Apocalypse are streaming their new album on Terrorizer: http://www.terrorizer.com/news/streams/fleshgod-apocalypse-stream-new-album-labyrinth-exclusively-with-terrorizer/

I definitely like it more than the Agony. The symphonic parts are mixed a lot better and they don't have so much annoying clean vocals.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 13, 2013

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

Why did I not listen to Gorguts earlier? :allears: Obscura is rapidly becoming one of my favorite metal albums ever. The stereo panning makes me disoriented as hell, it's crazy how much this album affects my mental state.
It's been five years and hundreds of albums since I listened to Obscura for the first time and it's still the trippiest, most bizarre metal album I've ever listened to. Definitely an all-time classic.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Any !T.O.O.H.! fans here? Rad a Trest is one of my all-time favorite death metal albums, and they just released a new one for free. I don't know what the site policy is on mediafire links provided by the band themselves, so I'll just post their Facebook page where you can find it: https://www.facebook.com/tooh.info

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think it's pretty disappointing but there's something to like about it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Speaking of Ulcerate, who else is pumped about their upcoming album?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Was about to post that in the doom/stoner/sludge thread. I'm so down for that Cleveland date, but sometimes it's hard to go to shows as a college student with no metal fan friends on a Friday. More pumped for Pallbearer than Saint Vitus but they're both great.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

homewrecker posted:

If I really enjoy Arsis's A Celebration of Guilt, what are some other essential bands/albums I should be checking out? I also really like Carcass' Necroticism... and In Flames's The Jester Race and Whoracle if that helps, but the Arsis album seems to be my favourite right now. I barely have any metal on my playlist so I'm open to any suggestions you can give me.
If you like Arsis and Necroticism, you definitely need to check out Heartwork by Carcass. I'd also recommend:

Quo Vadis - Defiant Imagination
Anata - The Conductor's Departure
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Martyr - Hopeless Hopes
Death - Everything between Human and the Sound of Perseverance

All great lead guitar heavy, relatively melodic death metal albums.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They only have one album, The Winterlong.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

shock.wav posted:

I've been loving everything by Warbringer and Havok

Are there any other newer thrash bands I should know about?
Vektor are far and away the best modern thrash metal band, though they're a lot proggier and their vocalist takes some getting used to. They're like a more extreme Voivod.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Misogynist posted:

Been listening to a lot of Ne Obliviscaris, Thy Catafalque and Augury lately. Who's similar that I should be listening to?
Unexpect maybe. They're much stranger, but they use violin effectively and their female vocalist made a guest appearance on the last Augury album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just getting to the Grave Miasma stream now. This poo poo is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

abske_fides posted:

Just got into another Manilla Road mood... that band is frickin' awesome. They're just plain fun. By all means I shouldn't really like them, and their use of harmony is quite boring but for some reason they're awesome. Are there any bands that are kinda like the Road? I don't like Cirith Ungol since they always get recommend to fans of the Road.
Slough Feg is great and very obviously influenced by Manilla Road--they even cover Street Jammer. The aforementioned Brocas Helm are also similar.