Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

I like both over Bruce "Cat Being Murdered" Dickinson.
Am I going to have to find the article where a classical voice coach wrote about how good Bruce Dickinson's voice was, or can we just agree that you don't appreciate voices with ridiculous range, and he doesn't actually sound like a cat being murdered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hellwuzzat posted:

From last thread.
Oh hey, people do read my posts :v:

Like I think I said (although that might have been in the bands nobody has heard of thread), they did develop their own sound with their second album. I don't think it's fair to just dismiss them as an Agalloch ripoff. They are one of those bands that I listen to once in a while and then think "Wow, why don't I listen to these guys more often?"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

netmazk posted:

I didn't see Allegaeon mentioned in this thread. That makes me sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtbyY3ke16I
Huh, looks like they ditched the make-up and the synth? I still think they're kind of mediocre, sorry. Saw them live a year or two ago (I think they had been opening for Megadeth a while before that) and they were boring.

And what the hell is sumeriancore supposed to be?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Saikonate posted:

22 Eargesplitten: I think you're thinking of this other CO metal band that starts with an A, has a chick who plays synth, does face paint, and has way more financial backing than they do talent. The name escapes me, but they went on tour with a bunch of big name bands and they are atrocious. It's like, Arcamambumburmngmbn or something.
Arcanium, that's what I was thinking of. Wow, I have had those mixed up for a while. I'd definitely rather listen to Allegaeon than Arcanium. But if I'm listening to CO metal, I'd rather listen to Cobalt, or even Drown the Sun (remember them?)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know Primordial only ever seem to do one thing, so what is the album that they do that thing best? I don't want to buy the whole discography when that basically means buying 1 CD 5 times.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

QPZIL posted:

(Crossposting with the black metal thread)

You guys liked my ode to Hurricane Irene, "Hurricane Slayin'," and you guys liked my Ensrug stuff, SO... you guys get to be the first to hear a new Ensrug track:

I humbly present for your enjoyment, a blackened song of loss and solemnity,

Ensrug - "Ghost of Verdance"

I like this. I agree with the production being a little off, but I can't place what is off about it.

I like the idea of volbeat. I like the idea of heavy metal with a dose of old-school rock and roll, but it seems like volbeat just has too much of a pop sensibility. Too "clean", sort of. There's probably a musical theory based explanation, but I can barely remember scales, I'm not the one to talk about theory.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Morbid Florist posted:

Take Elvis, make the Stray Cats his backing band and that's the idea behind volbeat. Lemmy's playing with some of them in Head Cat now, and I think all 3 of them are better. Rockabilly was punk before then and I doubt Danzig didn't take some cues from it.
Come to think of it, Man's Gin is doing something similar. Erik Wunder is probably best known around here for Cobalt, but then he does that whole mostly-acoustic upright-bass bar music. It's sort of like heavy metal, but you take the metal away, so it's just heavy. I guess I just really want something between this and this*. Or any of the other songs on the album. Smiling Dogs is so good.

*Other than Kvelertak.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sounds more like Jello Biafra.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Has anyone seen Cynic recently? I missed them last time they came through (I was leaving to drive across the country the next day, and didn't want to do it on 4 hours of sleep when I wasn't completely packed anyway), and they're touring for Carbon-Based Lifeforms. I love Focus, and like a lot of Traced in Air. Didn't like the new track I heard, though, and I hate the venue they are playing at. It's a place that cordons off an under 21 area from the bar area, and I'm not enamored with the idea of paying them to treat me like a second class citizen. That's what my university tuition is for.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Not to hate on merchchat but I don't really get buying shirts online. I only get 'em at shows. I figure it's kind of like a medal, like "Yeah, I've seen them". If you're wearing a shirt you ordered online, it's not saying anything other than "This is a band I like" which, who cares? At least with the show-bought shirt you have a story to go with it.
What about bands that don't play shows? Or that just never come within 400 miles?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Defiant Sally posted:

With Cynic only Focus is really anything at all like Death.
But the other stuff is still good. It's just that instead of jazz-metal with an alien robot singing, it's new-agey jazz-rock with an alien robot singing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

lordblytzkrieg posted:

The drummers that Agalloch use fall into the same category, just weird off time fills and honestly its the worst part about Agalloch.
It's funny that you say that, because as far as I know they have had two drummers for album stuff. John Haughm (vocalist) did all but the most recent album, which was done by Aesop from Worm Ouroboros (also does a music blog). They are completely different kinds of drummers, so it's odd to hear you lump them together like that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

IRQ posted:

Yeah that's a really strange thing to say. The drumming on Marrow of the Spirit sounds very different from all their previous albums (in a kinda bad way) and I guess you've just explained why.
I don't know that I would agree with you there. I like the new drumming, but it makes for a very different feel to the music. Haughm is not a good drummer, I don't think he would claim to be. The drumming on most of Agalloch's stuff is very basic, not at all fluid. It helps to give a sort of cold, dead, wintermusic feeling to what they do. Aesop's drumming is much more competent, but he plays very fluidly and organically. That makes the music feel more alive. If you all will forgive the use of imagery instead of actual musical terminology, the old stuff feels like a snow-covered stone, the new stuff feels like a tree in autumn.

At first I was kind of put off by the drumming on Marrow, but it isn't bad. It's just different. Sometimes I would rather have more of the same old style, but oh well.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sabbath just cannot catch a break with cancer, can they?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Agalloch has a 30-date US tour this year. Now I'm calling my doctor, because my erection has lasted for more than four hours.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

http://www.facebook.com/AgallochOfficial (can't figure out a permalink)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The Agalloch one is hilarious, it's the exact same "Does he know what he sounds like" I expect from them at all times
Honestly, I was kind of surprised when it turned out to be Aesop. Not just because he's still so new it is weird to think of him speaking for Agalloch, but because his blog tends to be more dick jokes and straightforward music production discussion. My money was on Don when I read that, because it sounded like a Sculptured sort of thing.

I hope someone responds "I support voting so you can get that little sticker that gives you free drinks at all the bars so you can forget the whole experience." But Korpiklaani is Finnish, and I doubt they have those stickers in Finland.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

God dammit. The past couple days I've been listening to a good amount of Woods 5 on youtube, and it just struck me that this is the first stuff I've heard from him that is more than mediocre, and is in fact really drat good. And he's dead.

:smith:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

What does your monday night look like? Here is mine

Jesus christ, that's a pretty huge step down in quality from last year. Last year it was Howl, Atlas Moth, Red Fang, Kylesa, Crowbar, Saint Vitus, and Helmet.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hammer Floyd posted:

I say it's okay as long as it's skippable.
If you want to skip this, you are objectively wrong and need to get out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Don't know whether this or the Black Metal thread is the right place for this post, so I'm going to do it in both. Holy poo poo Agalloch tonight, anyone else going to the show in Denver?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

QPZIL posted:

It just doesn't look elegant to me. But, hey, that's just my opinion.
I kind of get what you mean. I like the attempt at making it looks like growing wood, but it seems a bit unnatural.

But speaking of agalloch, holy poo poo their show was awesome. It was like more than a week ago now, but I just never bothered to post. First time I saw them live, first time they were ever in Denver, they put on an amazing show. They used to be kind of sloppy live, but I think the time they've spent touring and recording recently has really helped.

And if anyone that goes to see them live leaves thinking Aesop can't keep time drumming, they are legitimately deaf. The difference between their early stuff and the stuff that was recorded with him on drums is ridiculous. I kind of hope he eventually decides to write new drum parts for the old songs they play live, I'm worried he'll get bored of doing the really basic drumming from the first three albums.

Sadly, the show I went to, some dumbass starting tearing down the mics before the encore. And then starting ushering people out of the theater like 10 minutes later, when people were still lined up trying to get stuff signed. Basically what I'm saying is if anyone here is in the Denver area, gently caress the bluebird.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm going to their show in Denver tonight, they put on an awesome show when they came through for their Faustian Echoes EP, glad to hear it's another good one. I'm just glad they came back to Denver, last time the jackasses at the venue started tearing down the stage before they could play their encore, and then started shoving everybody out the door.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

you know it's hit peak when church of misery does a song about ted cruz

and

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You either die a Cliff or live long enough to see yourself become Dave Mustaine

:sbahj:

Whenever I see someone who is obviously a metal fan start to make a political statement I wince preemptively.

I still wear my Agalloch shirts, although for obvious reasons my Down shirt is now out of rotation. Which sucks, because I used to love it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's from a couple pages ago, but I'm so excited. I'm just kind of disappointed their only CO show is Denver, since they're from Colorado. Something in the north, where at least Wunder is from, would be a much shorter drive for me.

I hope they do some of the stuff from the albums with the old vocalist. I haven't listened to the new album as much, but Gin is my weightlifting CD.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

hjahkjdahsjkdhaahahahhaa

I have never seen a better response to new Metallica than Bobby Blitz flipping them off.

Since Agalloch is dead, I might as well start listening to the similar bands they started spawning in the late '00s. I know of Falls of Rauros and Gallowbraid, are there any good ones for me to check out?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I want to convince my wife to go to the Cobalt concert in September, but she's never heard them. I'm trying to decide what song to show her. She likes middle-eastern music, and it seems like there's some of those themes in Slow Forever. Maybe just go with the obvious Beast Whip?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

InsidiousMuppet posted:

I am seeing Carcass, Ghoul, Crowbar, and Night Demon tomorrow night and it has been like six months since I've gone to a show. First time seeing all of the bands and I'm especially to see what kind of shenanigans Ghoul pull live.

Weird seeing Crowbar and Carcass on the same ticket. Has Carcass kept going in the Swansong direction since getting back together?

Opeth's best album was Brave Murder Day.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

Closer to Heartwork. Surgical Steel was only pretty good on the whole, but the best tracks from it rank up there with their classics.

Cool. Heartwork was the first album I really liked of theirs. I just can't get into "real" grindcore.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Maybe try Sculptured's Embodiment. 12-tone serialism is pretty progressive for something invented in the '20s.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

LordPants posted:

Has anyone made 12-tone metal. Now that's what I call progressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d7Q-q-riFA

That whole album is 12-tone, IIRC.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Haha, Agalloch got a new singer and changed their name to Khôrada. Suck it Jon Haughm.

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/introducing-khorada/

They got the singer of Giant Squid to replace him.

I'm really excited about this, but I really hope that the image of audio mixing software Anderson posted on the Sculptured page doesn't turn out to be from this new band. I want a new Sculptured.

I've been listening to The Mantle a lot lately, but goddamn did Haughm sound like a pretentious douchebag in the Facebook announcement post. Never call yourself the visionary. Especially since Anderson was apparently the guy who translated his "vision" into actual music since he was the one who had studied music.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Try Corrosion of Conformity. They started out as a punk band before going into sludge metal. Blind is probably their latest album that had a punk influence to it, and it's also one of their best, if not their best. Try Crowbar while you're at it. Someone else can probably make a better album recommendation than I can, I barely listen to them anymore.

FWIW, late Black Flag has had an influence on the sludgier side of doom, so if you're into that kind of punk, you could probably get into that subgenre.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 31, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got my wife listening to Agalloch, Superjoint Ritual, and I wouldn't be surprised if she starts listening to Cobalt, because she liked Beast Whip when I showed it to her a few days ago. It's really nice having someone who doesn't get weirded out by my tastes in metal.

Now to work on getting her to like Carcass :v:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Isis is a really good suggestion. It even has screams to keep a metalish feel. Neurosis, too. Through Silver in Blood is a really good apocalyptic non-metal album.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

The one where Isis aren't metal either, apparently

Pretty much. Maybe we should have cut the post-rock at Russian Circles? I guess post-metal counts as metal? I've been out of metal for too long.

Better suggestion hopefully: Big Black.

E: Later Ulver? Like Shadows of the Sun era.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 14, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I stopped really paying attention to thrash metal around '09 or so. Back then there were a bunch of new bands trying to do old school thrash and failing. Are there any new thrash bands or albums I should listen to? I heard the newer Overkill albums already. I liked them. Different from their older stuff, but the band is over 30 years old now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

William F Cuckley posted:

everyone except dave mustaine :v:

I don't think Dave Mustaine likes anybody except Rick Santorum.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm working through them right now. I had forgotten about Terminal Redux, I listened to it earlier this year when someone recommended it in this thread. Time Is Up is pretty great so far.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have recommendations for non American / European bands? Pretty much any type of metal. I realized yesterday that the closest thing I have ever listened to were a couple Russian bands, and that doesn't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

I vaguely remember reading something about how most of the dudes from Agalloch are forming a new band, so keep an eye out for that! Also The Morningside is pretty solid and sounds very similar.

Ignoring nazichat, it makes me happy to see someone else mention The Morningside. When I used to listen to them nobody knew who they were.