Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Insanity
Oct 25, 2010
Wow, these guys were my gateway into metal, sad times.

I was trying really hard to like it at first, but yeah... black tears and Calvin killed it for me.

Edit: Anybody else make it to Paganfest this year? I made it to the one in SF, and had a great time.

Huntress was much better than I expected, and Arkona was one of the best live sets I've seen thus far.

Manatee Insanity fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Insanity
Oct 25, 2010

PutinOnTheRitz posted:

Aww the Rammstein thread seems to have slipped into oblivion. Seeing them on Saturday, psyched beyond all belief.

I am new to metal. Very new. Entry-level, minimum wage new. I enjoy things in languages I do not or barely speak, it helps me to get them a little better. (German/Swedish are favourites) Aside from Rammstein which I stumbled upon years ago thanks to my strange 90 year old german professor, I've recently been swimming around in Opeth, Dimmu Borgir and Manowar. I'm finding myself more attracted to the grand, orchestral songs with less cookie monster vocals. I can enjoy female vocals to the extent of Nightwish but that's kind of pushing it. Anyone got any suggestions? I have pretty broad music tastes and want to explore metal a little further.

Crimson Glory is another great gateway metal band. I haven't listened to any albums outside of Transcendence, but it's way over the top, and has always been a favorite of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Am47jKUFMw

Manatee Insanity
Oct 25, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

Who's pumped to see Wintersun in the US this week?!

I'm surprised that Eluveitie is a bigger act than them. I guess they have actually made music in the past 8 years though.

edit: Haha no posts over 24 hours later, so I guess no one.

Can't wait! I'm going to see them in Oakland on Friday. I have high hopes. Eluveitie also seems like they could be a great live band.

Manatee Insanity
Oct 25, 2010
The Oakland show was great too.

Standing outside in a line in pouring rain for almost an hour after the doors were supposed to open ... not so much. I think half the people that came to the show missed Varg's set. I dunno if it's just because it was storming, but just in case, if you see anything at the Metro, you might want to get there early.

Wintersun was great, and lived up to the hype. Eluveitie was pretty good too. They played their whole new album + a couple encores.

Manatee Insanity
Oct 25, 2010
Anyone else see that the full length Aether Realm release is streaming here for another day or so?

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2013/01/03/an-ncs-premiere-aether-realm-one-chosen-by-the-gods/

Sounds an awful lot like Wintersun, which I guess is pretty awesome.