Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

E2M2 posted:

Just got back from the Dillinger Escape Plan / Mastadon show.

Dillinger was really good, though messy as hell and energetic. They played When Good Dogs Do Bad Things with Mike Patton! It was pretty nuts, I didn't know it was him until my friend mentioned that it looked like him.

Only stayed for 4 Mastadon songs. The audience was probably 50% old dad age dudes. Ugh, people really love Mastadon. I don't get it, why are they so great? Maybe I don't "get" it, but a lot of other sludge is so much better. It was really boring and my buddy and I decided to leave.

I'm not a big fan of newer Mastodon stuff but holy poo poo I would love to see DEP with Patton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Hahaha yeah I read about that on sevenstring.org a while ago. I think Shankle is with Dean guitars too which makes it even funnier.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Try Atheist and Cynic. Cynic is fronted by Paul Masvidal, who did most of my favorite Death solos.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No, a loving hat rack. A rack on which you hang hats.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Give Intronaut a shot too, sometimes it's a tossup between Intronaut and Isis as to who I enjoy more.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Textures and Ihsan.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How are they even applicable for that category?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Did you miss ObZen?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Misogynist posted:

I've been saying for years that in 10 years people will look at Meshuggah the way we look at Yngwie Malmsteen today

How long has it been 10 years for

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Too late I already listened to the entire Intronaut discography today. Well I can do it again, I guess.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I took my son to see Rush last summer. He mostly sat there and played his DS. He'll rock out to AC/DC and loves Phil's scream that begins "Great Southern Trendkill," but he's mostly into stuff like Pitbull and Lady Gaga. Oh well.

Dad chat.

To be fair, I'd probably play my DS if someone dragged me to a Rush concert too

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm the Nokia ringtone

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQzcvtuc9BA
Nunc Fluens and Nunc Stans are really good bookends for Traced in Air.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The trick is the "cool DM shirt" part

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dead Man Posting posted:

Also why do metal musicians die in car crashes all the time when they aren't the ones drinking?
Live by metal, die by metal.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Sny posted:

So I'm looking for some lesser known bands with unique/great vocals, at least enough that it stands out, genre doesn't really matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaQxJtHc8Co
I don't even know what the Official Metal Thread Opinions are on Sikth so maybe I'm going to get poo poo on but they own

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Textures loving owns and Silhouettes is one of the best albums ever.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

vanov posted:

Autotheism is pretty awesome in my opinion, reminds me of the shift made by The Ocean for Heliocentric/Anthropocentric and I haven't been able to stop listening to those two albums since their release. Autotheism will probably tide me over until the new Neurosis or Ocean albums drop this year. I guess in general I found what The Faceless could do with their sound and texture to be more interesting than their speed and technicality, I'm always looking for something with that extra spice so this fit the bill nicely. I guess I'll just ask then, is there anything else along these lines that people could point me to? I've dipped my toe in BTBAM and am an avid Isis fan, so something around those five bands (Faceless, Ocean, Neurosis, Isis, BTBAM) would be what I'm after.

Rosetta, Intronaut

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Does he still work at Pizza Hut?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I actually dig that song but the vocals are pretty dull.

edit: I don't think I could listen to it that often though, and a whole CD of that, unless there's some really clever poo poo of it is probably pretty repetitive

muike fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 12, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
SLAAAAAAYERRRR

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's gross as heck, give it a shot.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Maybe he just really likes Devin because they know each other. Also Devin is a cool as hell dude even if I'm not the biggest fan of his music.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Man, Spiral Architect really need a new vocalist and to redo every album with them.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Can you give me an example of whatever the best Sylosis track is supposed to be, because I really didn't see anything special about it when I last heard something of theirs.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I guess it's just not for me, then.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Destroy Video Games

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
UUDDLRLRBA SELECT START

THERE REMAINS ONLY ONE ENEMY

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The best thing about thinking Dream Theater sucks is not having to figure out which albums are good and which are bad and why.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's a really bad name and makes me think of like, an Atheist cover band or something.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Ihsahn still owns sorry.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
My favorite part of that video is when he uses his trem arm to make the same sound you can do with a pick

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

QPZIL posted:

Well I wouldn't say we were quite garage band level, we had our 15 minutes of fun time. I played guitar in a band called Glass Casket, our drummer and other guitarist went on to join Between the Buried and Me.

edit-- but sure if you want to hear stories of getting told to gently caress off by Alexi Laiho, or of getting glared at by Lord Worm for accidentally making fun of him behind his back, or other random bullshit, I can certainly ask and tell.

You know dustie? he seems like a super chill dude.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Well it's no starve for the devil

thank god

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Who would you guys say come closest to aping Death's style while still doing their own thing, or at least without sounding like a tryhard clone?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

MrBling posted:

Which era of Death are you looking for?

To put a somewhat crude point on it, early Death mimics Possessed and mid-later Death mimics Coroner.

True enough, I guess I'm looking for something a little more Coroner.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That sounds up my alley too, I'm a huge Cynic fan.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

The Monkey Man posted:

Does anyone know how that stupid "Chuck Schuldiner died of AIDS" rumor got started?

Sounds like a gay joke or something I don't know. I never heard of it before.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I like that mecha Lemmy has tank treads for feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Welcome to metal b*tch