Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I dunno if you people have noticed, but there seems to be a rather big boom of new bands emerging everywhere to play really drat old-school sounding metal. A boom to the extent that I have seen it called NWOTHM, for "New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal". And I don't mean old-school as in "mid-tempo so it kinda sorta sounds like 80s hard rock", I mean real bloody denim-vest-and-spiked-leather-bracers-in-your-face sound.

And while I've discovered quite a few good new bands lately thanks to this phenomenon, at the moment there's one that stands head and shoulders above the rest:

White Wizzard. God's bleeding arse this is some fantastic stuff. I mean, pretty much the only way this could be more loving METAL would be to add a gratuitous nonsensical umlaut to the name and make it White Wizzärd.

So excuse me, I'll be over there, sharpening my sword and punching holes in the air. ->

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

DOOP posted:

White Wizzard does rule, but Anderson keeps getting fired :(

Is Jon Leon impossible to work with because christ, WW can not keep a lineup together at all
Yeah, some bands just seem to be like that. I had to look up who this Anderson actually is (I just discovered this band like, yesterday and haven't gotten over the ZOMG THIS poo poo IS TITS phase to actually familiarize myself with the band info yet) and yeah, I have to say he is pretty much superior to the other vocalist. Guy's got some serious pipes.
Maybe it's a thing with metal bands with frontmen named Jon, to have trouble keeping their good vocalists.

Oh btw, WW's cover of We Rock is one of the best Dio covers I've ever heard.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Drifter287 posted:

....When Sorrow Sang, which is objectively the best Blind Guardian song :colbert:
Yeah, it is. That is, right after Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill).

If I were to be forever restricted to listening to only one Blind Guardian album, I'd most likely choose Nightfall in Middle-Earth. As great Imaginations From The Other Side and A Night At The Opera are (despite the latter's godawful production), NiME just has that certain quality of utter brilliance to it that puts it head and shoulders above the rest.
But in the end, you can't really go wrong with any of their albums.

Oh and btw, THIS is the best Blind Guardian video ever.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 4, 2011

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dameius posted:

Hey guys fill in the list with some recommendations: Amon Amarth, Atlantean Kodex, Beyond The Sixth Seal, Chimp Spanner, Dark Tranquility, Dethklok, Dimension Zero, Dissection, Duskfall, Einsferum, Hypocrisy, In Flames, Salem, Spawn of Possession.

I don't care if the band takes themselves seriously or are total joke/gimmick bands as long as the music is good.
Grand Magus, Turisas, Crimfall, Arch Enemy, Amorphis, Before The Dawn, Scar Symmetry, Moonsorrow, Insomnium.
Dunno which bands you already know, so I gave a bunch. The fact that most of those bands are Finnish is pure coincidence.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

RHTITE posted:

Motorhead has shown plenty of musical evolution to go along with the usual bag of tricks that they pull out on their albums.
I will have to sorta agree with this.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Misogynist posted:

are you loving kidding me or are we listening to different vocal tracks right now
WTF are you smoking, man? Lemmy just sounds like himself to me.
And I don't see how sprawling into other genres is NOT musical evolution of some sort.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well in more positive news, the new Iced Earth album is pretty drat good.

I was really loving stoked when I heard Barlow was coming back to the band, which of course made me all the more disappointed when Crucible of Man came out and turned out to be bland and mediocre as hell. So disappointed in fact that I barely shrugged when I heard Barlow had left again.

But this new album? drat, this is actually good. And the new guy Stu Block actually sounds so much like Barlow that it's all like The Dark Saga and Something Wicked This Way Comes all over again. I loving approve.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Welp, as good as the new Iced Earth is, it can pack its bags and gently caress right off along with all other music for a couple days now, because I just got myself the new Astral Doors album.

Jesus gently caress this stuff is so good it hurts.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well, Iced Earth are listed twice in Power Metal. Quite frankly I have my reservations of calling them power metal at all, but let's not start a genre war now.

Anyways, how about replacing the extra mention of IE with Helloween or Gamma Ray? Two rather quintessential power metal bands if you ask me. (I know you didn't.)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just so you all know, Nils Patrik Johansson is the best goddamn heavy-/power metal vocalist alive.

I'm currently listening to Wuthering Heights - Salt (the second best album of 2010 and one of the top 5 albums for me in several years) for the fuckteenth time since it came out, and holy poo poo this guy hasn't ceased to amaze me. And what makes his singing on this album even more enjoyable to listen to is that the lyrics are actually pretty drat good, especially for a power metal band. Or power-prog-folk metal, whatever. Glorious guitar leads and immensely catchy melodies don't hurt the album none, either.

The guy also sings in Astral Doors, which is another balls-out awesome band.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 9, 2011

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Holy shiiiiiiiiiiit.

I just found out Agalloch will play their first ever gig in Finland in April. I think I may have broken some sort of speed record in ordering tickets online.

I'm so loving stoked right now, oh man oh man oh man. April can't come soon enough.

I hope they'll play She Painted Fire Across The Skyline.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Revol posted:

I want recommendations for metal bands that use keyboards.
Shade Empire I guess, although they might come off a little emo-gothic at times.

But absolutely and definitely SAMAEL. These guys have gone from some really drat kickass black metal in the early 90s to some sorta cyber metal, and have stayed awesome as gently caress the entire time.

Some more Samael.
And more Samael.
Also, Samael.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Oh yeah, about those keyboards.

Even at the risk of possibly receiving some flak from some metal puritans, I feel I must mention Machinae Supremacy. They are melodic as gently caress, but not in the same way as Dream Theater. Bluntly put, they rock the gently caress out instead of pussyfooting around.

For keyboards they use a so-called SIDStation, a synth using the SID chip known from the old Commodore 64 computers, so they have this "retro videogame" sound. I guess they might've been a bit of a gimmick band (an awesome one though) back when they started, but they've certainly grown past that, and I consider their latest album one of the very best I've heard in the last decade. The vocalist might take some getting used to, I guess.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

IRQ posted:

Barren Earth. Same vocalist as Swallow the Sun I believe. Not as doomy, but pretty similar.
Might also wanna give Black Sun Aeon a go. Another band by Tuomas Saukkonen who also runs Before the Dawn and Dawn of Solace. Seriously, that guy is mind-bogglingly productive.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

m-o-o-n posted:

He annually produces at least three albums of nigh-identical material under different monikers that sounds like it was composed and recorded in a week and tailor-made for ugly goth girls who got their holes damaged by daddy.
If you think Black Sun Aeon is "nigh-identical" to Before the Dawn, you suck at listening to music.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

co199 posted:

I'm going to get crucified for this, but my top metal album of 2011 was Arch Enemy's, namely because I've got really bad taste. It's the album I've listened to the most, though. The solo on Under Black Flags We March is great.
Well I'll join ya on the cross then, because I loving love Arch Enemy to bits. Although, the new album didn't quite grip me despite being certainly good. Rise of the Tyrant is loving kickass though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Zodijackylite posted:

Are you familiar with death n roll at all? Entombed's "Wolverine Blues" and stuff like that. Entombed, Six Feet Under, Gorefest's '96 and '98 albums, and Helltrain are the ones that come to mind. I realize that none of those are quite like "Swansong", but it might be what you're looking for.
I would like to add Debauchery to that list. They have some plain death metal songs, but also a lot of stuff that's like AC/DC with death vocals. Case in point.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Orbital Sapling posted:

Agalloch isn't that good and will forever be a poor man's Moonsorrow.
Not liking them's all fine and dandy, we all have our own tastes, but that latter part just plain doesn't make sense because their sounds are nothing alike.
I mean yeah, sure, both make long tracks of atmospheric metal, but that's just about the extent of their similarity. So what the hell?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Turisa maybe OUGHT to go in that direction. Stand Up And Fight was almost completely unlistenable.
Stand Up And Fight is actually a loving fantastic album. Vikings on Broadway sound ftw.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

My favorite album that I listened to in 2011 was Agalloch-The Mantle
Well if we go this route, I'll just say that Machinae Supremacy - A View From The End Of The World and Wuthering Heights - Salt were my favourite albums for both 2010 and 2011.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, I'm just glad I don't know a loving thing about playing any instruments or mixing music, so things like weird playing styles or whatnot don't bother me and I can just focus on the music.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

thepitgoddess posted:

Do any of you collect your fest bracelets? And if so, do you do anything special to preserve or display them?
I only have one festival bracelet like that, because I'm a broke good-for-nothing who has only managed to go to one festival that used those.
It's from Wacken 2004 (Where I saw Dio for the second time that summer) and I did wear it for, I can't remember, two or three years maybe? Then eventually, when it tangled up in something for the umpteenth time, I just decided it was a pain in the rear end and cut it off. But I still keep it on my bookshelf as a memento, as well as the unused ticket I was left with after I accidentally gave my friend my own, already used, ticket and she managed to get herself a bracelet with it.
I also have the Wacken 2004 towel hanging on my wall as a makeshift tapestry.

Sorry for the rambling, but it was a loving awesome trip.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Packard Goose posted:

A co-worker said Wintersun is pretty good, confirm/deny?
Wintersun is loving ace.
The opening track on the (only) album is pretty straightforward but still awesome, and after that the songs get bigger and longer one after another.

As for Amorphis, I personally have never noticed their use of autotune. I'm not denying it because I have wooden ears, but it's certainly not the over-the-top robot singing as it's often used in pop music.
Give albums like Eclipse or Silent Waters a go, maybe the autotune is low-key enough to go under your radar. And if not, well, a lot of their old stuff is good too.

And folk metal, well, Korpiklaani are pretty boring as far as I'm concerned. I wanna heartily second the recommendation for Moonsorrow, and other great bands under the folk metal label would be:
-Finntroll. Especially the first two and last two albums, Midnattens Widunder, Jaktens Tid, Ur Jordens Djup and Nifelvind, respectively.
-Ensiferum. Somewhat more serious and "epic" as Finntroll, but they have their "hey-ho let's drink loads of beer" moments.
-Turisas. Now, while these guys are usually classed under "folk metal", I think that's a tenuous label at best. I think "soundtrack metal" would be more descriptive. Some guys here have given their latest album a lot of flak (for not being metal enough or someshit, I dunno), but I think it's a loving blast and has some goddamn dramatic stuff. And the two previous albums are awesome as well.

Lastly, as a closing wildcard, I wanna mention Arch Enemy. Dunno what to class them as, melodic death metal or something. At any rate, they have some kickass guitar leads and a hot blonde chick doing growling and screeching vocals.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I'm pretty sure that the first Dragonforce album could be considered power metal which means you SHOULD feel guilty about liking it. That being said, I'll gladly blast a couple Symphony X records as loud as possible....in my headphones.
There is nothing wrong with liking power metal! Or even if there is, you should still listen to it proudly and with your head up high, like me.

It has to be good power metal though. poo poo like Hammerfall and Rhapsody (of Fire) can go gently caress themselves with a rake.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Madox posted:

You can't bash Hammerfall and then not clarify what 'good' power metal is, so start clarifyin'!
Well, Helloween up until The Dark Ride, even though Chameleon is an... experimental album to say the least.
Lost Horizon.
Gamma Ray.
Edguy, when they are playing power metal and not something else. I love all of their material dearly, but it's certainly not all power metal.

As for Hammerfall, well their two first albums have some decent and even good songs (I used to be a huge fan as a teenager), but after that they went steeply downhill and got even more boring. Also, Joacim Cans sounds like a weak, dickless pansy. It's called power metal, not whining metal, goddamnit.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Meclin posted:

Any suggestions of other big power metal groups to check out?
Gamma Ray, definitely. They're kinda the equivalent of Megadeth in the euro-power scene; They are an "offshoot" founded by a former member of a legendary band, have released some classics of their own, and are still going strong whereas their progenitor has fallen into mediocrity/downright shittiness. Somewhere Out in Space, Powerplant and No World Order are a fantastic trio of albums.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Wuthering Heights, gently caress yeah. <3
Far from the Madding Crowd and Shadow Cabinet are both really good albums, but Salt really blew my loving mind. The Mad Sailor, The Desperate Poet and The Last Tribe are a bloody amazing trio of songs. Goddamn catchy choruses, and rather unusually for a (sorta) power metal band, bloody good lyrics.

And indeed, Nils Patrik Johansson is a world-class vocalist, loving powerful and charismatic as hell.
I've said it before in this thread, but it was many pages ago: He also sings in Astral Doors, which is also a fantastically good band. Just traditional heavy metal without any gimmicks, but just immensely well done overall. Case in point.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

henpod posted:

I know Alestorm are pretty disliked here, but I went to go see them on Saturday night in London and it was a really fun show. Perhaps it was all the rum I had drunk before going in, but it was a blast. I think my favourite part though was afterwards where about 150 people dressed as pirates spilled out into the street amongst the very surprised general population.
I dunno man, I for one love Alestorm to bits. The songs are drat catchy and fun and they have some loving hilarious lyrics. Plus I love their give-no-fucks attitude too. One of the bands I'd most want to see live, really.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Ein posted:

I've heard that Sabaton is pretty big in Europe, have fans cruised through this thread?
I dunno if I'm quite a "fan", but I do like them a lot. I like the whole WWII schtick (and thus listen to them a lot while playing World of Tanks), their catchy-as-gently caress melodies and the vocalist. When you're singing about tanks and snipers and battleships and poo poo, it kinda helps to sound, you know, manly.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Reminds me of what happened to Hibria who put out the best modern speed/NWOBHM album and then two albums of pure undiluted poo poo.
Ohhh gently caress, do not loving remind me.
Well, except that while their debut is certainly better, I still quite like The Skull Collectors as well.
But the third album? loving bloody rear end, what a goddamn disgrace.

For those who are unfamiliar with the band, some comparison: here's the title track of the debut album. The guitars have this really awesome metallic sound, and despite Youtube quality muddling it up a bit, the bass guitar is still clearly distinguishable (a feature that is WAY too rare in modern metal music). Overall, it's just amazingly well done and kickass old-school power/speed metal.

Here's a track off the third album. Stupid modern downtuned chugga-chugga riffing, and just... gently caress it, I'm too depressed to continue.

Also, the debut album's cover has a metalhead dude loving swordfighting a ninja ON MOTORCYCLES, which is pretty much as loving dope as you can get. Blind Ride has like, some tracks or something, and some fire. loving yay.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Diet Poison posted:

Um Nickleback aren't Canadian, they're from Alberta?

I dunno if you mean Alberta in Alabama, Michigan, Minnesota or Virginia, but Nickelback are from This Alberta.

Of course you may have just been making a "hee hee but Alberta isn't real Canada" joke for some reason. I wouldn't know since I'm not from around those parts.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bagsack posted:

That guy's videos are hilarious! His Radio Disney version of Messugah's Bleed Is really pretty impressive.
Yeah, that guy is a loving genius. I think my favourite is the reggae version of Megadeth's Symphony of Destruction.

henpod posted:

Someone posted this in the Youtube thread in GBS. Thought you guys might enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QbAXXXOJF8
Welp, I think I'm gonna go find myself a funnel now so I can pour bleach in my ears.

Speaking of Japanese stuff though, anyone here know of Sex Machineguns? Personally, I think they're pretty loving boss.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, Swedes do have an alarming proficiency for metal. I mean, as much as we have good stuff here in Finland, the supposed "Promised land of Heavy Metal" (yeah, right), I'd say Sweden might still take the cake in the "holy poo poo where do all these awesome bands come from" category.

I was a bit surprised nobody mentioned Amon Amarth, but reading the last couple pages here I'd guess maybe they've gotten too "polished" for a lot of the posters here. I loving love them to bits though, Twilight of the Thunder God is one of the best albums I've heard in a goddamn lot of years.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Defiant Sally posted:

I think most peoples problems with Amon Amarth is that every album is the same as the last. They're too consistent, in a way. They never try anything new, though I dont have a problem with that myself since I actually enjoy what they do quite a bit.
Yeah, I can respect that. Although, listening to Versus the World, I'd still say they have certainly cranked the bombast and catchiness upwards on their later albums. Death in Fire certainly sounds rawer than, say, Runes to My Memory. Which of course sounds exactly the kind of change a lot of people would look down upon. Still, the changes are little enough that I think both arguments are valid.

Personally I think that as long as they keep up their level of quality, they can just keep on doing what they do indefinitely, as far as I'm concerned. Because their stuff is loving dope.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Psalmanazar posted:

this song which has to be the most ridiculous metal song that isn't from a gimmick genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qv8ZfxLxvI
Edguy would like to have a word with you. :colbert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1exQ2PAxTA
Although, I suppose Edguy might be considered a gimmick genre all by themselves.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mammal Sauce posted:

If you enjoy Mnemic and Scar Symmetry, you might dig Blood Stain Child's blend of cheesy/trashy/fun-as-gently caress industrial melodeath.
I first heard that song a few years back, and it's loving balls-out awesome. I have a dream of getting a version of that song with a longer "techno" intro, sneaking it onto the playlist of some dingy nightclub, and watching as the clubbers start dancing to the intro and then poo poo a collective brick when the metal kicks in.

BSchlang posted:

I know I'll get some poo poo for asking it, but do you guys have any recs for bands that are either Christian or use Christian themes or imagery in some of their music?

The only ones I know of that fit the bill are Dream Theater, Orphaned Land, Megadeth, Blind Guardian, Dream Evil, Antestor, and a bunch of metalcore bands.
Well, Theocracy are quite openly Christian, and pretty well done power metal to boot. Give them a spin. http://youtu.be/ug0vN8zKjZ0

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Rusty Kettle posted:

Yo. I like to run, but my playlist has been getting repetitive. Right now, it has a stuff like Amon Amarth, Devin Townsend, SYL, and Septic Flesh. For some reason, Septic Flesh's cover of the "meow mix" theme (Communion) works well. Any recommendations?
Some Debauchery, maybe? Groovy-as-gently caress death'n roll. They vary from pretty straight death metal to downright AC/DC with death vocals. I don't excercise myself because I'm a lazy slob, but I imagine that if I did, that poo poo would get me pretty pumped.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

co199 posted:

For those of us with terrible taste, DragonForce's new album leaked and they released the first video from the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU4GXgaCFTI
Oh wow, DragonForce actually made a song with this low a tempo? And it sounds pretty good to boot, go figure.

I always found DragonForce a fun band to listen to in small doses for shits and giggles, especially the most gratuitously overblown fast songs. Too many songs in a row would make my brain hurt though. Gonna have to check the new album out, I just hope they haven't abandoned their warpspeed ways completely.

And on the topic of cheesy overblown power metal, it seems Pathfinder have released a song from their upcoming second album on Youtube. Sounds pretty good as well, in that certain "what the gently caress is wrong with me and why am I listening to this and grinning like an idiot?" kind of way.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

co199 posted:

They haven't abandoned it completely. Much like their other albums, there's still the warp-speed video game, phaser laden solos from Herman and Sam. It's not bad at all, really. They've matured as musicians, I think. It's still cheesy as gently caress, but the time they took to work on the album really shows, as I think this is their best offering since their debut (which is my favorite).
Okay, that sounds promising, thanks for the reassurance.

I saw Dragonforce live once, actually, in 2007. They were on the Black Crusade tour, which I went to see mostly for Arch Enemy and partly DF. They were hilarious, kept joking and loving around, guitarists kicking eachother on the rear end mid-solo, and the keyboardist nearly tipped his kit over several times. It was pretty evident they don't take themselves too seriously in the least.
But the highlight of the set was this:
The band is playing some song, nfi which it was. Then, they do this "the band pauses playing and the singer points the mic at the audience to have them sing a line" thing that bands often do. But they do it at such a random and abrupt moment that absolutely no one sees it coming, and I have never heard as deep a silence as that. Vocalist says "Ahhh, confusion!" with a poo poo-eating grin. Then he turns to the band and goes like "Should we finish the song or just skip ahead to the next one?" And the guitarist answers "Does it matter? It all sounds the same anyway."
I have never laughed so much or so hard at any gig.

EDIT:

Carl Seitan posted:

And I found this Pathfinder song to be so frantic and all over the place that I had to stop it half way through.

I think it was mostly the vocals that did it in for me though. Mostly due to the fact that in about 5 seconds, the vocals went from melodic singing, to death metal growl, to some soprano singing something I couldn't understand.
Them being so frantic and all over the place and enormously overblownly melodramatic is exactly why I find them so hilariously fun to listen to. As far as I'm concerned, if you're doing cheesy dramatic power metal, you might as well co completely balls-out over the top.
Also, they don't do that vocal switcheroo thing a whole lot. I think they have that growling stuff on like one other song. I don't mind it, it's just a nice addition to the barely contained chaos.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nuclear Fetus posted:

I don't know, I enjoyed it but maybe I was too drunk to know better? I agree about the drums though. The fact that Aesop hits loving hard all the drat time even if it doesn't really fit the part probably made it worse. The bass was also sort of drowning things out. Too few songs off of The Mantle, actually only In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion I guess? but I was kind of expecting that they would mostly be playing faster songs that have more electric guitar and not so much of the acoustic stuff, which is a shame really since they could have pulled those songs off too if they wanted to.
I was completely sober and I enjoyed the gig really, really, really much.
The beginning was bad since the bad mixing made most of Into The Painted Grey into an undiscernible wall of sound, and some tall hipster kid kept blocking my view with his Justin Bieber hair-do. But then either the mixing improved a bit, or I just went deaf enough that my ears filtered the sound somewhat. :v: And the hipster drifted away to the side, too. And, well, I dunno, after a while I was really into the gig and thought the atmosphere was really drat powerful.
It's funny, usually Agalloch is pretty much relaxing mood-music for me, but there on the gig it just worked differently and I was just full of emotion and energy. One of the most intense live experiences I've had, I must say. I just wish they had played She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, but otherwise the set was fine by me.

Also, the grey T-Shirt I bought is loving sweet.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 9, 2012