Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Yaku posted:

Any good folk metal recommendations? I prefer to listen to female fronted folk metal but I'm fine with either as long as it's good. :v:

I mainly listen to Arkona, if that helps any.

Nokturnal Mortum's last album, The Voice of Steel, is probably one of my favorite folk metal albums. Here's the title track.

Seconding the Pagan Reign recommendation, Ancient Fortress/Tverd is a really great album. Check this song out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Qu Appelle posted:

I like Enslaved. I like Geddy Lee. I may have to check this out. How is Asgeir's drumming?

Very buried by the poo poo production. Really, the album isn't anything to write home about. It has a few strong tracks, with the title track being one of the best things ICS Vortex has ever done, but most of the songs strike me as nothing more than ideas. A lot of the songs go absolutely nowhere, a few songs have some absolutely mind-boggling fadeouts and the production is pretty poo poo. I dunno what it is with Vortex and tinny, compressed production but it seems all his good albums suffer from it (edit: and, really, going by his track record, this would be considered a good album). It's his curse or something.

Anyway, even if it hadn't suffered from the aforementioned production troubles, Asgeir's drumming would still be pretty mediocre. There's nothing on the album to really highlight his drumming style, he could literally be one of hundreds, if not thousands, of other run-of-the-mill drummers.

Still, like I said, it's not all bad. You'd do well to check out the title track (which has been removed from YouTube recently, I guess, otherwise I'd post a link - I'm sure it's not gonna be hard to find, regardless), which literally outshines every other song on the album. I can't help but think that if Hestnaes managed to find the inspiration to write an album full of tracks that strong, he would've had a pretty amazing album on his hands.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 13, 2011

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Jesus, are we listening to the same Turisas song? This sounds almost exactly like their last album, except with flatter production. Still the same 80s cock rock riffs, except with a "weird" riff/keyboard, which is about as prog as Yes - 90125 (and just about as 80s sounding). Yeah, they did away with the overblown poo poo, but the song just sounds like third rate 80s worship. Between that and the album title, I'm pretty much ready to write this band off. Their last album had maybe two good songs on it, and one of them was a retread of To Holmgard and Beyond (which is still their best song as far as I'm concerned)

It kinda pains me to say that, since I actually really liked The Varangian Way when it came out.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Defiant Sally posted:

Try Be'lakor and In Mourning's latest offerings if you haven't yet. They both came out last year this time but yeah man it's been a lovely year for melodeath so far.

Seconding Be'lakor. Also, new Omnium Gatherum is pretty drat good. I don't think it's quite as awesome as New World Shadows, but it's still really solid stuff.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
My favorite djent band is Meshuggah, I dunno if you guys have heard of them, they're a bit obscure.

In all seriousness, Intronaut sometimes gets labeled as "djent" (although I wholly disagree with the genre association), and they tour with bands like Meshuggah and whatever so you might enjoy their poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W14lIClAA9Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHjkpJb5BPM

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
You didn't really expand on why you didn't like them, but chances are you saw them on a more recent tour where they played songs from their new album exclusively. Their more recent material is softer than their previous albums and a lot of people either love it or hate it. I'd recommend checking out their earlier material, like the two songs I posted, as well as other songs from Prehistoricisms or even Void, if you're more into the sludgy, tech-metal (another term I hate) thing.

Intronaut for me were a very gradual affair; I first listened to them when they released Void and I thought that was a pretty drat good album, albeit kinda rough sounding. I was pretty impressed with Prehistoricisms and thought it was their best work to date, but still nothing really seemed to click. Then Valley of Smoke came out and while I was initially lukewarm on that as well, I really grew to love it upon repeated listens. It's now probably my favorite album of theirs. I dunno, they tend to do the whole jazz metal thing really well, mainly because they have kind of a mammoth rhythm section (both bass and drums), who seem to know what the gently caress they're doing when it comes to fusing jazz with metal.

Their new album is a bit... weird, in that I have some issues with it, but overall it's pretty drat enjoyable. I can definitely see why someone not familiar with their earlier, more metal material, might be turned off upon hearing it, though. Like I said, check out Void and Prehistoricisms and see if that sound is more up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Too much dick-waving and not enough Sulphur Aeon dick sucking in this thread, imho. Probably my album of the year so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcaWMa23C4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCVKKZlISeY