Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet

ThePutty posted:

If you're Australian, Soundwave is looking pretty horrible, aside from a few bands here and there. You'd probably get more out of going to a club that plays metal.

I counted five bands that I'd be moderately interested in seeing. Guys, how non-metal am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet

Sab669 posted:

Can anyone recommend some bands similar to Diablo Swing Orchestra? A friend of mine recently showed them to me, and they sound like nothing I've heard before and I've to find more like it since they only have two albums :(

They're definitely a very unique band, their debut album is one of my favourite albums of all time. The closest I've come to them in terms of style would be Stolen Babies, they're not quite the same, but maybe they'll do the job for you. I remember reading that the dude who writes DSO's music is a big fan of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpxesBrb8Ag

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet

Stoo posted:

If anyone else wants to watch one of the most cripplingly embarrassing things ever broadcast, Metallica and Lou Reed actually performed that Lulu stuff live last night on Later.. with Jools Holland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSQAvA64mss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rNpWwHcY3g

:stonk:

:lol: I can't believe this. I can't help but feel like this is all just some sort of delusional farce fueled by pity for a senile old man.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet

Misogynist posted:

Augury is probably the closest I can think of, but they're not very close.

Incidentally, Augury is loving incredible.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet
The new Cynic EP sucks. I am quite sad.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

At least they're consistent.

Come on now, don't make me go on and tell you why your taste in music is objectively wrong.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet

MrBling posted:

Actually I think you should go on.

And risk sounding utterly retarded? I think not.

Really though, I think Traced In Air is one of my favourite albums and the new EP has pretty much none of what I liked about it.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Polkadot Cadaver has the people (or at least lead singer) from Dog Fashion Disco, right?

Yeah, they're kind of neat. It's strange that they were touring with folk metal bands, that's just silly.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet
I don't know how I haven't listened to Wuthering Heights before, these guys are awesome. I haven't found a power metal band (or whatever you want to call these guys) in YEARS that I've enjoyed, but this poo poo just instantly grabbed me. Fantastic, I'm grabbing Salt as soon as I can.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Just remembered that Revolver magazine named Korn's "dubstep" album their best record of the year.

I will never stop laughing at this
:laffo: Korn also apparently invented dubstep.

quote:

Jonathan Davis says his band invented dubstep long before it became a staple of club music.

"We were dubstep before there was dubstep," Davis told Billboard. "Tempos at 140 with half-time drums, huge bassed-out riffs. We used to bring out 120 subwoofers and line them across the whole front of the stage, 60 subs per side. We were all about the bass."

Orbital Sapling fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 9, 2011

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet
Moonsorrow's Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa and Haken's Visions were probably my favourite releases of the year. I'm a huge Moonsorrow bitch, everything they release is gold to me.

Disappointments abound with Opeth, Mastodon, Cynic, and Devin Townsend, among other less noteworthy bands.

Ignorant controversy edit: Agalloch isn't that good and will forever be a poor man's Moonsorrow. The White EP is their best release.

Orbital Sapling fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 23, 2011

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet

het posted:

Yeah, this doesn't surprise me at all. I sort of feel bad for the die-hard fans, because the band really departed from what had made them unique (though I obviously am more of a fan of the new album). I'm not sure any other band really is doing this combination of chorus vocals and catchy repetitive riffing sort of crossing power metal with melodeath. I would have expected Turisas to go in this sort of direction before Tyr really. Monkeytime was the one who spurred me to really give this album a chance, and I think he said he'd read an interview where they said they made a deliberate decision to go for a catchier/poppier angle.

I really loved Ragnarok and still do. Every album after that has just drifted further and further from the style that I liked of theirs. The music has devolved into really kinda boring straight forward stuff. It's too bad, they had something really unique going on.

Heljareyga (Henri's side project) kind of fulfills what I was looking for, but it's just not the same :smith:

Nordick posted:

Stand Up And Fight is actually a loving fantastic album. Vikings on Broadway sound ftw.

I was also kind of disappointed with what Turisas decided to do as well, that album did not do it for me at all. The Varangian Way was awesome with its weird prog hintings, but the band decided to go for the ultra catchy chorus route instead of fleshing the prog elements out a little more.

Turisas - Fear The Fear posted:

Bravery
As we've all seen on TV
Explosions and swords
Hot girls in reward

And in the games you play
You are the hero of the day
But outside that land
Your head's in the sand
This sure didn't help out my enjoyment of the album.

Orbital Sapling fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 25, 2011

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet

YeahTubaMike posted:

So their lyrics get a little weird. Leave them alone, they're Finns and they make metal. There are so many things to complain about in Stand Up And Fight -- the words are the least of its problems.

Hey, I absolutely love that song too. The lyrics are weird but I don't feel that same sense of shameful embarrassment from reading those as I did with Fear the Fear. It helps that I don't know what the hell he is talking about.

I don't think we'll ever see Turisas make a song like "Cursed Be Iron" or "The Dnieper Rapids" again. It's a shame.

Orbital Sapling fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet
If anyone is a fan of crazyass fretless bass technical death metal work, check out Beyond Creation. I came across them checking out where Augury's bassist Forest went. Definitely worth a listen if you're into weird technical music.

Behold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA0zEIJ0jq0&feature=related

MrBling posted:

I love when you can find a band you had never heard of and just instantly love them.

This happened to me yesterday when I discovered this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT7escb2kUw
I did not know this genre of music existed, nor could I have ever predicted this band to be from Italy :stare:

Orbital Sapling fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 12, 2012