Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Goddamn, I only just now heard about Isen Torr (featuring Richard Walker from Solstice, Greg Haa from Slough Feg and Tony Taylor from Twisted Tower Dire). Hearing about Tony's death was bad enough back in 2010 when I didn't even know about his kickass side project. Which only released t w o songs. :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlNmID78QUw

Here's one of them. This is 50% of their output. gently caress.

e: have a Twisted Tower Dire song too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwjQWRiA7Is

god, what a waste

Smirr fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

fappenmeister posted:

Tony ripped me and quite a few others off when it came to buying that EP. I never got a chance to own it til recently.

drat, that sucks to hear. What did he do, just not send it?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Cobweb Heart posted:

Are there any women in extreme metal that don't dress like they're a Suicide Girl the band hired to stand in front of them? I want more hulking, bearded women in my goregrind.

Jo Bench from Bolt Thrower comes to mind (re: dressing normally, not re: being bearded):

I love this photo. :allears: On their website, it's right next to one where they're standing in front of a tank, too.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Nordick posted:

Holy loving nutballs. I want that so bad, but it's probably going to cost like six thousand euros. :saddowns:

On the topic of Finnish melodeath though, anyone here not familiar with Omnium Gatherum? They used to put out pretty bogstandard stuff as far as I understand, but then something happened and they put out the awesome Redshift. The next album, New World Shadows is also really solid.

Haha, I used to write reviews for this really rickety German webzine about 10 years ago, and of the albums I reviewed, Spirits and August Light was in the top 1% and basically one of the few albums that I would voluntarily listen to.

It warms the cockles of my heart that they're still around and haven't started sucking.

Here's the song that made me swoon 9 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0wtIjfGUkw

Smirr fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 5, 2012

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

So I realized earlier today that I can't think of single metal music video that I would describe as great. There's plenty of great music videos but like 90% of them are pop music and 0% are metal. Please post metal music videos that you think are museum-grade good, if there are any.

I'll do a critique of a couple just to start this off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxMJDTJXleI

One of my favorite bands, great song, but the video would have been so much better if only they had kept the concert poo poo out of it. Imagine if the whole video was only abstract fast cut poo poo. I'd be loving it for sure. Still wouldn't be great though, just good-ish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGOHk2J4jV4

Another band that I like a lot but what the hell even is this? Deviantart, the music video? For gently caress's sake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F1W8HJLV5s

Even if bands don't do the whole 'here's us miming playing the song, as if you couldn't watch a live video' thing at all, it's just more of the incredibly embarrassing Devia-- oh I already made that comparison.

Come on. There's got to be ONE (1) great metal music video in existence. Oh and don't even think about posting Call of the Wintermoon or stuff like that, I mean unironically great.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Did you just make me watch a Cradle of Filth video on the hope that anything unexpected/good would happen? How rude. The Periphery video is pretty OK, if a little self-consciously wacky, but either way, metalcore isn't metal.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

This comes to mind.

I have to grant that this would be a memorable music video even in other genres. The video is OK. It's just that there's still a huge disconnect between the song and the video, which I think shouldn't happen if you want to hang with the best of the best in terms of music videos.

Sorry, I forgot to specify official videos only.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Arivia posted:

It's funny that you already linked DT since they're actually who I think of first as having really artistic, good videos (with the caveat that I've never seen that "Monochromatic Stains" video before, that poo poo was dire.)

Having an accomplished, good visual artist who's also one of the bandleaders and major songwriters helps Dark Tranquillity be on point a lot more than pretty much any other metal band. I certainly spend the most time looking at their album art!

That said, here's my favourite video of theirs, animated by Sundin himself:

That's definitely a lot better than the DT video I linked. And I wouldn't say it's a bad video, but it's just not (and I'm defining the goal posts here) a video that you need to have seen to fully appreciate the song. You know, where the song and the video fit together like they were planned this way all along. In this case, it's a (IMHO) bad song coupled with a mediocre, but visually stimulating video, but I don't see much of a connection between the two. OK, I guess iridium is a metal and there are metal dogs in the video but whatever. Compare and contrast to, I don't know, Like A Prayer where Madonna sings about wanting to blow a guy / the power of Jesus and in the video she macks on Black Jesus like you wouldn't believe, and it's an instant stone cold classic that probably still to this day has nice old ladies clutching their pearls. Where's that truly transgressive poo poo in metal videos?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

OK, there are some good to great metal videos. I'm convinced. In particular:

Pig Destroyer - so nice it was posted twice. The video really works for me. To define some more goal posts, it commands your attention all the way through, no dead air, no filler, no loving band footage. Very good. I also didn't get the impression that the corniness was self-conscious or fake, which would have been a turn-off.

Cattle Decapitation - I guess one of the many reasons that band footage is so bad is that it seems lazy. It's much nicer when you can feel that the band really put some thought and planning into a video. That said, I'm never watching this again. But it IS transgressive, it DOES command your attention and there IS a coherent concept to it. Still with the band footage though, which is particularly inexplicable because who the gently caress would want their faces associated with this?? I guess this is me clutching my pearls.

Edguy - loving Edguy, man. I completely forgot they even exist, but this video is... great. Put this on permanent loop in a museum somewhere

Red Fang - I guess one way to make me not mind band footage is if you film it in some guy's kitchen and have moldy guitars. Also if the music is giving me an erection.

Some didn't quite convince me:

Toxic Holocaust - would be so much better if it didn't look like a flash animation. Maybe some of my lukewarm-ness towards Toxic Holocaust is clouding my judgment, where I feel that they should be and ARE pushing all of my buttons but it never really clicks for me.

Khanate - I like them, but the video is just boring. Like, that's the best thing they could come up with?

Gojira - much the same. 2 minutes in I checked the playtime and realized that I don't really care why the woman is hauling around a casket. There's just too little happening I guess.

anticake posted:

I remember, it must have been over a decade ago at this point, a thing on MTV where a the winner of a contest got to direct the video for the new Korn, or some other such video darling, song. The band is of little importance in the end. Anyway this kid wins and they have an actual director doing the Director of Photography thing and making this kid's dream come true. The kid said that bands fake performances were stupid and no one liked them and the DP guy like nearly had a conniption. Over a series of clips he tried to convince the kid that every video needed a performance because the rest of the video might suck, but hey at least they got the performance! Also apparently MTV refused to show the actual act of dying on screen and the band picked this kid's idea because it involved all of the band being systematically killed off on screen so the MTV Standards and Practices guy was flipping his poo poo over the content, which is less germane to this conversation but I always got a laugh out of that.

Anyway I guess what I'm saying is that all music video directors apparently have no faith in their product nor audience and throw in the performance as a hedge, and that's why it's so prevalent.

And this explains a lot. I guess it's not very specific to metal, but you'd think that with less pressure about the video actually getting airtime (because it won't get any at all) people would be less concerned about playing it safe.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Come on, don't post stuff from Blodhemn. It's a bad album.

To be constructive, here's some of my own Enslaved favorites:

Gylfaginning Sick as gently caress. Hell, sicker than gently caress.

Hordalendingen One day I will rip a man's face off to this song and it will just kinda happen as a matter of course. Owns

For lenge siden A long time ago, I listened to this song and decreed that it's great. It's still great

Større enn tid, tyngre enn natt you mentioned this song but didn't post it. I will post it. Anyone reading along, if you're going to click on one link today, click on <-- that one. Thanks

I'm also contractually obligated to post this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orHMUhdNCvQ

I left out a lot, like my favorite album (Below the Lights), and also anything past 2001. But you can only listen to so many Enslaved infodumps a day. Fenrir, if you make the thread I will post in it

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

OK bear in mind I'm a dipshit moron and know nothing about music. Here's my question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBExuS26_Ww

What's that garbage in the right channel from e.g. 2:14 - 2:18. Or from 3:24 - 3:28. Or 4:43 - 4:47. That doot doot doot poo poo that sounds like resonance (??) from one of the guitars? There's a whole bunch more places in that song where it shows up, and the other song from that demo has a couple of less clear instances as well. Surely that's not intentional? If it's not, what happened there

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I was also reminded of In Flames. 14 year old me would have dug it. As it is I'm just going to say I'm not a huge fan of the drum sound. Snare too hollow, kick too farty, everything else might as well not exist

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Swiss people are genetically incapable of being nazis BUT that song sucks rear end so I think the truth is somewhere in the middle

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

RIP one of my favorite bands of all time, which I never got to see live, lol. It's actually good that they split up. Im laughing

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Bolzenwerfer

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

No Music Discussion > Bolt Thrower & Sleater-Kinney Appreciation Station

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I bailed on Opeth when I saw them live after the release of Deliverance and Mikael would not loving shut up about Camel. I think he even literally opened with "you probably haven't heard of them". Just couldn't listen to their music anymore after that without getting douche chills

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

A human heart posted:

I like the black metal Xibalba better

Henchman of Santa posted:

They have an album with "Poop" in the title lol

Thanks for making me aware of the good Xibalba and their Poop album. Currently listening to it and it loving slays

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

After hearing the new Eternal Champion album this week, I've determined that all metal albums over the last 30 years have pretty much been doing it wrong. Praise Crom and death to all false metal!

Saw this bad boy on bandcamp today, clicked on it because of the cover, then saw that review namedropping Manilla Road, Isen Torr and Cirith Ungol and immediately bought it without even listening to it lol. I think for a 34 minute album there's a minute or two too much filler but what's there is really good

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for non American / European bands? Pretty much any type of metal. I realized yesterday that the closest thing I have ever listened to were a couple Russian bands, and that doesn't count.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-7qhiOTs8Q

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I just saw A Quartet of Swiss Failsons / Mystifier / Rotting Christ / Inquisition. Inquisition may or may not be nazis too ...

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Now that I've got the frog joek out of the way and quarantined in its own post:

• Mystifier are insanely good. Holy moly.
  • Rotting Christ are still insanely bad.
  • Dagon's normal speaking voice reminded me of something. I want to say Dan Castellaneta, but not Homer Simpson. Someone who's heard him speak help me out here, it's killing me

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

Bandcamp has a little writeup on 10 contemporary bands playing heavy/doom/traditional heavy metal from the US

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2016/10/27/new-true-metal-power-metal-bands-list/

What do you think?

The Spellcaster blurb completely conflates USPM and European power metal :spergin: Also, lol at shoehorning HoM into that listicle.

I listened to that Sumerlands album a couple of days ago and it's good. Checking out Crypt Sermon now (somehow completely managed to miss them) and :eyepop:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I didn't know that Varg had a Youtube channel but Youtube just recommended it to me and it's really good

Really good

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I absolutely, physically cannot stop listening to Demon Bitch, jfc. That debut album is so insanely loving sick

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I'm currently listening to the new Death Fortress LP and it owns: https://deathfortress.bandcamp.com/album/triumph-of-the-undying The drumming is even beefier than on their previous album. It seems they got tired of people calling them death/black metal, though, because that guitar sound is extremely tinny.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people keep lumping Void Omnia in with post black metal or whatever.

Anyway, I came to this thread to plug Culto Abismal by Cruz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY44ByVG02I
https://sentientruin.bandcamp.com/album/culto-abismal

Ignore the guy on the bandcamp page namedropping Dissection - this is actually old school Scandinavian style death metal crossed with mulleted Spanish anarchists slamming kalimotxos in a lovely squatted youth club. I was lukewarm at first because it's kinda the same song 8 times, but now I find myself coming back to it because it's a fairly loving good song.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Don't mind me, just posting the band pic of the dwarf-themed death metal band for no particular reason

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9QBn9i4EQ

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

It may not be exactly what you're looking for (A Blaze in the Northern Sky strikes me as an extremely unique album) but check out Туман's debut Transylvanian Dreams. As the album title implies, it's fairly shameless Darkthrone worship, so Fenriz would hate it, but it is restrained, basic and soulful. It's also actually pretty good.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Bandcamp loving rules sometimes

quote:

10 Bands Pushing the Boundaries of Extreme Black Metal

what the gently caress is "extr--

quote:

The 10 bands in this list have developed their own, fairly unprecedented styles of extremism. Some, like Sigh’s Mirai Kawashima, Jute Gyte’s Adam Kalmbach, and Vintersorg’s Andreas Hedlund, have pursued academics. Others, like Gnaw Their Tongue’s Maurice de Jong and Nekrasov’s Bob Nekrasov, spend most of their time in the studio writing and recording music.

ah,,

Vintersorg isn't even in the list

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wait do we have a poster in here who has actually never heard a Suffocation record?

Morbid.. Angel? What are they, some kind of Morbid Saint tribute band? :D Will check 'em out though, thanks

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGU9M5rTX_I

finland used to be a part of sweden :shrug:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

Jag Panzer, the band that CGI-rendered a flyover of Colorado for their first DVD release because they were too cheap to pay for stock video from a helicopter, released this horrible Tim and Eric trainwreck of a lyric video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQPCou8DXl4

lol :yikes:

Your post made me realize that I know precisely one Jag Panzer song post Ample Destruction (some song off Mechanized Warfare from a magazine sampler, which I thought was bad). The song you posted also strikes me as bad (way too European). But the MA reviews for post 1997 stuff look good. But all the power metal reviews on MA are written by people with brain damage, so does anyone here want to weigh in on whether any of the mid-era Jag Panzer stuff is actually worth a listen?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Thane to the Throne

Dimebags Brain posted:

The Macbeth album sucks.

I see :thunk: I'm just gonna listen to the albums in question, I guess

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Shakenbaker posted:

Hey man come on I like Woods of Ypres and Thrawsunblat largely because they're cornball as gently caress.

I assumed skasion meant actual DSBM garbage like Shining, not whiny hiking metal.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Just lol if you don't blast Summer of the Diabolical Holocaust while sunbathing on the beach

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Hello, this is Bolt Thrower in the morning. Good Bolt Thrower to you. Today, part four of our series of the total extinction of the existence of mankind.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

Then there's the thing with religious imagery in doom metal, this pervasive theme that the truest doom is God's judgment of man's sin, the thing that consigns a soul to eternal torment. Outside of Trouble there are pretty few doom bands that would identify as Christian, but exploring that line between salvation and hellfire is pretty key to bands like Candlemass.

I always loved Reverend Bizarre's take on that. "Living in a cave won't be so bad if you think about past. / Remember the decayed, and the burial fires, which burned so fast. / And if your two daughters wanna gently caress their father night and day, / it's better to ride than let your house just fade away."

"You are Satan's slave.
Just a stupid child.
You say you're in love with Evil.
I say you're out of your mind!
Yes, your loving mind!

All right!"

Plus the entirety of The Wandering Jew (right before segueing into a Burzum cover, yikes). God, that band was weird as hell. Back in the day I always wondered if they were actually making fun of doom metal, but in the end decided that if that was the case they were really only owning themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Shakenbaker posted:

Christs may come and Christs may go but Caesar is forever :black101:

I do feel like they were taking the piss a bit but were clearly into it. Doom Over The World always struck me as a goofy love letter to the doom and it's great because of it.

I mean nowadays the answer is clear because two of the guys are in Lord Vicar and Spiritus Mortis, making comparatively non-self-parodizing doom metal, but back in 2004 when Goddess of Doom was first released it was extremely :thunk: