Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Morbid Florist posted:

If it wasn't for slayer, half of the last 30 years wouldn't have happened.

I don't think it's fair to say one band is responsible for innovation all the time (or half the time). Look at the Gothenburg movement. In Flames, At the Gates, etc. released similar albums in the same year. The late 80's was ripe for thrash change-up. Reign in Blood is my favorite Slayer album, and speaking of In Flames, Slayer got worse in their later albums too!

South of Heaven is eternally badass though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Also since someone talked about how cool Sabaton's live show was a few pages back here's a corny/cool song they did a while back. Count the references! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8hJddMR8ZU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Djent isn't a real genre.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

You're both right. It's meth heads stealing CD players from each other all the way down.

ninja: anyone miss CDs? not a hipster but I liked having some imagery to go with the songs, especially with Frank Frazetta style art

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 9, 2013

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Nordick posted:

I was just rather unexpectedly introduced to this band called Arkham Witch and holy tits this stuff is just so loving GOOD. Occult doom-laden heavy goddamn metal. God drat.

Cthulhu rises from his grave, the lord of R'lyeh lives again. :black101:

The Lovecraft thing is overdone but drat they make it work.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Meshuggah and Dream Theater can get right the hell off that list. Manowar or Judas Priest should be in for influencing early power metal.

P.S. Still listening to Arkham Witch drat you all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFaTKJpIbtQ

e: Open the Gates by Manilla Road, that's what should be in the top 10

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 20, 2013

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Holy gently caress that video makes me so angry. All I can picture is a bunch of fat shits in dragon shirts thinking "omg this is so epic dude!". gently caress that genre of metal.

Ah yes, I much prefer the original fashion stylings of Varg et al. Seems like there's more hate on SA for modern symphonic than any other kind of new(ish) metal. Is it because they're more likely to look like White Wolf cosplayers or am I just missing the true cvltness of the black metal thread?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Nordick posted:

EDIT: I've listened to Jess and The Ancient Ones - More Than Living for an obscene amount of times today and for gently caress's sake I'm running out of hyperlatives here, there's just no loving sense in how bloody amazing this song is. It's quite literally, no hyperbole, the single best goddamn song I have heard in YEARS.

I just listened to it and :stare:

Coulrophobia posted:

buttfighter dragonlord wankery

There's the metal thread I know and love

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

^^^ Arch Enemy?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

So I'm gathering Arch Enemy is on the "hate" part of the Pantera love-hate-nostalgic love trajectory, but give this a listen anyway. It's not my particular flavor of metal but I still listen to it sometimes.

ninja: and some more Jess and the Ancient Ones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udd0o5VpX2k

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Someone a few pages back called out a group named Blood Ceremony and drat they are good. This thread is making me listen to nonstop doom metal.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

The new Skyrim DLC is lookin' good.

Trees and Squids posted:

Ensiferum and Tyr

Koriplaani is better anyway. More folk metal, less viking. http://youtu.be/uOHe-0V41sI

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Well if we're talking about swole metal, Powerman 5000 (Rob Zombie's younger brother) started recording a new album in February.

Nordick posted:

Korpiklaani are boring as gently caress and can't hold a candle to Ensiferum. While Ensiferum certainly don't have a flawless track record, I still quite like them. I actually enjoy the more peaceful, melancholic overall feel of the latest album.

The further back in Einsferum's discography you go, the better. Turasis pulls off the battle folk cred better.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 13, 2013

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Sorry, I find straight power metal kind of boring, samey, and headache-inducing.

If Sonatica isn't straight samey power to you, Spock has a beard in your universe.

Coulrophobia posted:

I sincerely apologize if I just gave anyone here the impression that I actually like Nightwish. I just found it notable that they put out a listenable track and it was a lounge song.

This song? Their latest album was better than Dark Passion Play because there was less "OH NO POOR TOMAS" :emo: but it's hilarious they lost another singer and now have the girl from After Forever. Once is still one of the best symphonic metal albums of all time, but now Nightwish is amazing dramatainment. :allears:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

DEAR RICHARD posted:

PrimusMegadeth sucks.

nuncle jimbo posted:

dave please do heroin again :(

He's gettin' high on a higher power now.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Hey, kids. Do you wish Jess and the Ancient Ones was doomier and less :catdrugs:?

No.

But as long as you brought it up, Paradise Lost was the first doom band I ever saw live (leading in for Nightwish, of all things) years ago. They've been around for a while but lots of people don't know about them.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

I get tired of too many hipster throwbacks to the past because I want to see bands doing new things but... come on, I don't like all of Ghost but how can you hate Zombie Queen? There's some talent in there.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Hammer Floyd posted:

I really hate this song and is exactly what I mean.

When the synth comes in at about 1:12, that was the sorta poo poo that should have died with King Crimson. In fact the whole thing gives me a real Moonchild vibe. The following eBow solo is bitching though.

The change at about 3 minutes feels like a Taratino cut to some flashback scene in a 50s surf diner. The way the song ends is very Sabbathy. The reverb-drenched guitar solo is so predictable and cliche. I do dig the chorus, but it's sandwiched by so many references that it loses relevance in the song.

It really stands out when the next song is Year Zero, which aside from Genesis is still their best song. Sure, it's still heavily influenced from a lot of places, but they're not making a point of cramming in references...rather they've just made a loving awesome song.

You probably hated every word in Sabaton's Metal Machine song too, Philistine. :colbert:

I didn't say it wasn't a hipster track. In fact that's exactly what I said it was and I said I get tired of too much Ghost. But it's possible to be (intentionally) unoriginal and talented. That's what that song is.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

So in the vein of JATAO and Blood Ceremony, I present Sub Rosa. They're not as good overall but still worth a listen.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 18, 2013

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Scream 3 was pretty atrocious.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Can this Slipknot chat just stop? For gently caress sake. Listen to Tribulation or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPWAbWY3EQQ

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

They're already there half the time, considering the physical motions that go into headbanging.

Easy Mac posted:

Why? They do it pretty well, who cares if it's recycled. I'd rather a band stick to what they're great known for than turn into something else.

Children of Bodom called, they want the metal thread to treat them this way too.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Don't know anything about Starkill but the rest of this tour sounds fun. Definitely gonna try and make the Cleveland date, although it's unlikely I'll be able to.

They got posted a while back in this thread. Basically a bunch of Midwestern nerd teens trying to rock out, sometimes succeeding. So like Slipknot but partially successful artistically.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Measly Twerp posted:

Yes, like Slipknot :airquote:

I meant in terms of origin story, not genre. Slipknot's first demo was based on/named after Werewolf the Apocalypse, so check for having unforgivable uncool dorkiness in common. "Metal something of metal" sure is a song title born on reddit and memebase. At least Slipknot dodged that idiotic bullet by getting started in the 90's. :downsgun:

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 5, 2013

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Hey kids, remember the :catdrugs: doom/psychedelic metal of JATAO and Blood Ceremony? Turns out the great state of Texas has peyote tea too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEVg9niMXPQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7yCchUbbKM

Vintersorg posted:

re: Rob Zombie live, he'll only ever play More Human, Thunder Kiss 65 and if you're lucky, Black Sunshine - I don't know why he doesn't reuinite that loving band and go on tour, it would be the greatest thing ever.

I was thinking about going to a Zombie/Cooper doubleheader a few years back. Glad I skipped it. Sounds like I can just go for Cooper and be happier.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

comes along bort posted:

Holy poo poo you just found out about The Sword? Lemme tell ya about this group called "Ghost". They're gonna be a big thing in a few years.

Ghost B.C. :smug:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Defiant Sally posted:

Wow this is... bad. I would give just about anything for another Jester Race.
Ahaha yeah about that... dream on. JR and Whoracle, maybe Colony, were good albums. It was a lucky streak. Megadeth has more long term talent than In Flames.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Knew about this tour as of this morning due to a local promoter but Alestorm is touring with Trollfest & Gypsyhawk. Going to be great to see Trollfest again - hoping for a longer setlist as they own everything.

Posting about Alestorm should be a bannable offense. :reject: "The Seven Seas were obviously not expansive enough for Captain Chris Bowes and his crew, as their third raid in the quest for booty takes them "Back Through Time". The Scottish buccaneers battle not only narrow-minded landlubbers and enemy privateers, but also foul-tempered Vikings! "

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Nordick posted:

Also, Wintersun - Time.

If we're counting Wintersun (listen to their original album), then I'm going to have to recommend Nightwish's Once. Get your pitchforks out and come get me.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

IRQ posted:

At least recommend Nightwish from before they turned into hot garbage. Once is the point where you should pretend the band died in a plane crash. The only upside to that not having happened is that Floor Janson gets a paycheck before hopefully moving on to a band worthy of her talent.

Their earlier stuff is ok though if you like that kind of thing.

Funny, I pretend Tomas went through with his emo bullshit and threw himself off a cliff after Once. It united the different styles they'd been trying in other albums (epic/heroic in Oceanborn/Wishmaster, dark in Century Child, etc.) and made them work.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Saw them a few months ago. Sound had problems then too. Very tinny.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

I'm following Chip & Ironicus' LP of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (it's a real word). One of the boss battles had a piece that reminds me of older Dragonforce songs, back when they were half-tolerable. Actually, most of the boss songs in the game are pretty metal so far.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

henpod posted:

I'm really enjoying the new Turisas album. It's pretty ridiculous, but then again we should have come to expect this. Lots of catchy tunes in there.

Wait, do people listen to metal to find things that are not ridiculous?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Levels are much better now

fake: never mind

fake2: they're trying so hard and they've still got heart :3:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Kaiho posted:

Holy poo poo. It's lowest-common-denominator riffage and really just the chorus over and over again but I didn't hate it. And I will forever and forever say that I have never liked anything else Tarja Turunen has sung on.

This made me go back and listen to another guilty pleasure song feat. a different NW alumni. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JBr4odsMOM

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Floor Jansen here to stay? So she'll quit in 3-5 years, right?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

Lots of guilty pleasures have already been mentioned. I must add Heaven's Gate, another German band.

Here they are covering Helloween, this song brings be back like 12 years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Bw-E6h27Q

How about a cross between death(ish) vocals and power metal? The disbanded-too-soon Imperanon.

e: also yeah, Manilla Road, forever, but everyone else already mentioned them

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 21, 2013

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

This is definitely metal hell territory, but if you want more retro-cheese that you can still rock out to... Cauldron owns. I've just had them on repeat at work lately.

e:

quote:

Okay, those female vocals are the best I've ever heard in metal. Is she on every track?

Sadly nope! I've googled high and low but it looks like Leonna Aho hasn't done anything since. Maybe Battlelore will be close enough female vocals wise, it's still power metal but quite different than Imperanon.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 23, 2013

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

7734 posted:

Can't go wrong with this version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJht9ct0104

And this is a great cover of a great song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P--E3Dta4q4

You posted the wrong best Bodom covers: Bed of Nails (drat, the album art on that one!) and Don't Stop at the Top.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Iceberg-Slim posted:

More great metal covers chat:

Satyricon - I Got Erection https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoRyo-lZ4ZQ

Behemoth - I Got Erection https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozCh6_PrHOQ

Hahaha. Okay one more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDTqxn6KCNs

Really, the whole first CD of Garage Inc. is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

comes along bort posted:

Metal Thread #666: still metal is better than punk althow i like both genders

I need to rethink my policy of never reading Youtube comments no I don't