Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gamma Nerd posted:

Personally I go with Mechina. They actually do tension and release pretty well, and relate the symphonics to the guitar grooves. Mostly those are just justifications for liking them though, because I'll dig anything with a space opera theme no matter if I'd normally hate the style.
I'm very, very picky about metal but this is fantastic. Thanks. Bought their latest full-length release from Bandcamp which is also killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ91RYD4Gaw

Would recommend for fans of Xerath, Devin Townsend, Neurotech, Samael and Sybreed. I like this stuff. It's like ... progressive sci-fi, industrial symphonic metal. Or whatever.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gamma Nerd posted:

Neurotech are good. I think fans of Vortech would also like them, even if that band has more extreme elements.
I'll try Vortech. Industrial music is my main jam but lately I've been listening to all this groovy industrial-synth metal stuff. Love science fiction. Love planets on album covers. And after reading about Mechina in this thread I burned through most of their catalogue during a long drive. It's good.

Edit: The Encyclopedia Metallum recommends Shade Empire. I like the epic, movie-like sound to them.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 19, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

comes along bort posted:

Somewhat yeah. They weren't on the radio as much but they were definitely seen as a trailer trash/jock act for people who'd just got into metal via the black album. But they also kinda faded out of popular consciousness fairly quickly after Far Beyond Driven. Dimebag was always in various guitar magazines, so a lot of his legacy stems from that.

I think a lot of the attitude at the time comes from them being pretty much the only massively popular metal band other than Metallica for a good while. This is just in America though; no clue what people in Europe or wherever thought about them at the time.

e: If you lived in the south, there was a good 15 year period there where you'd see at least one Pantera knockoff local opener at any given show.
I grew up in the DFW metroplex in the 1990s so Pantera was a pretty big deal. A lot of Texas metalheads still like them, at least the ones I know.

When I think of "Pantera" I think of middle school, camel cigarettes and camping with my redneck cousins at the lake.

Groke posted:

This European metalhead never knew or cared one way or the other about Pantera. To this day I wouldn't recognize any of their songs if I heard them.
Pantera is a very, very American band. Cowboys From Hell and all that. Anselmo is a racist, but the irony (I suppose) is that you can't get to Pantera's groove metal sound without the influence of black American music. It's also why I think nu-metal took off so much in the United States. And a band like FFDP, when I hear their clean vocals I think "... sounds Californian." There was a moment starting in the 1990s when all these U.S. rock/metal vocalists started sounding like Californians. And they're from Vegas so it's within that sphere of influence.

I was talking about this with a metalhead friend, and we couldn't make heads or tails out of these European bands like Nightwish. It's like "what the gently caress is this!?" Lots of European metalheads don't like Nightwish, and a lot of Americans do, but really it's a European band that's drawing from a different musical tradition. Central European ears are just attuned to it in a way ours are not, generally.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 29, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Alvarez IV posted:

What's some music that isn't metal but that you can throw in a playlist of mostly metal and have it not stand out? I'm already thinking of is stuff like Nick Cave or Sopor Aeternus or even Geto Boys. Bleak poo poo. I'm not looking for any genres in particular, just non-metal. Serious answers only, no one say "Ghost."
Try Swans, Have a Nice Life and Rome.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjofsqR0mdA&t=84s

funeral fag posted:

haha check out this album that has a really grumpy alien who likes coffee.
This but unironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Video starts with a message for the metal thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYn47sYt6vM&t=284s